New Alabama Gov...

Started by WyldRanger, January 19, 2011, 03:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

The man definitely put his foot in his mouth.  Hopefully he will learn from this.  But what he said did end up in the news, so people have opinions, and we are allowed to voice them.  The only thing we can't do is decide whether or not he gets re-elected.  That is for the people of Alabama decide.

I personally don't care what he believes, as long as he doesn't let it effect his job too much.  But as I think Alx was trying to point out, it's being downplayed because he's Christian, and Christianity is widely practiced and accepted.  What would you think if I was elected Governor of Pennsylvania, and I made a similar remark, only instead of Jesus, I referred my Pagan brothers and sisters, and I hoped that more people would see the light and abandon their myth to walk the true path?  I'd probably get thrown out of office if not mobbed and murdered. 

Scott

This is Alabama, we're use to being thought of as a bunch of stupid, ultra conservative, redneck, white supremacist, Republican, inbred, gay bashing, football playing, grit and cornbread eating, buttermilk drinking, chicken frying, baptist church on every corner, trailer trash... and we rock it!!!

: )

Lady Kalypso

As a granddaughter of a granddaddy who lives in Huntsville, I see nothing wrong with what the governor said. He made his peace with it, and I think the topic needs to be dropped. People get their panties in a bunch over the stupidest, smallest things nowadays. Seeing as how Scott pretty much summed up what I was going to say about Alabama for me (thanks! ;)), I'll curtsy my pretty little self out of here.

Callie Del Noire

This is another example of the media looking for a way to make an honest 'I put my foot in my mouth' into a full blown scandal. It's getting old, it seems the more 'PC' we get the less tolerant we get of folks making honest, if stupid, verbal errors.

Jude

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 28, 2011, 05:33:24 PM
This is another example of the media looking for a way to make an honest 'I put my foot in my mouth' into a full blown scandal. It's getting old, it seems the more 'PC' we get the less tolerant we get of folks making honest, if stupid, verbal errors.
I agree, but the media is just selling what people want they want to buy.  Outrage is en-vogue.  It seems to me that  everyone's just looking for a reason to think the worst of those they disagree with whether they're being fair or not.

Falcot

I am a Canadian citizen and resident so my understanding of Alabama and US legislation would be limited but this is my opinion on what he said.

When he made his “brothers and sisters” statement. I believe  that had to do with his religion and not necessarily his treatment of people of different religious, political or racial orientations.

Now my understanding of the state of Alabama (stereotypical at best) is most a Christian state (or protestant sorry). The way the political system works or should work is his attempt to involve religious practices with his political agenda will be shot down by the constitution and supreme courts.

Most likely he’s simply a very traditional man