Obviously, stuff is broken : /

Started by Vekseid, November 22, 2009, 05:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Still haven't moved BM and LR off yet. Should work better with them gone. Also free up some space for me to test nginx out properly.

Izu

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Amberghylles

Just to report a glitch.

I posted to a thread ( https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=52960.msg2474148#new ) and my bookmarks didn't update.  Apparently neither did Mithlowmen's. 

I imagine it's just delayed.  But I figured I should let you know.

Just to update: The next post updated it to my bookmarks and none of the others have acted up.  So whatever happened it seems to have just been that particular post.  The site was running slowly for me at that point as well, so it may just have gotten lost in the load.   

Vekseid

Quote from: Izu on November 24, 2009, 12:23:44 PM
nginx? *blinks*

It's a faster webserver that uses less memory, but I had troubles getting ssl working with it the first time around.

What happens during the slow downs is that so many people are hitting the server at once, there isn't enough memory to hold the processes handling each request. Things start passing to disk, the site slows down, which means more requests get thrown into the queue... etc.

And then the server basically dies under load.

RC2 helped... but for some reason more people decided to use it. >_>

Dakota

Izu

I see... Well, thank you for all your hard work!

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Haibane

Something new I have noticed since the changeover. During the server backup session which happens at some ungodly hour of the night in the USA but which hits me at 10:30 in the morning here, right while I'm having my coffee and doing some writing on the forums... in the past when you typed a post and hit send while the server backup was running I could hit 'back' and my unsent post was still there in the 'reply' window. Now, its not. Its lost. It caught me badly today.

Yeah, I know I should really type in Word and copy/paste lengthy posts into the browser as a matter of course but sometimes I forget.

Is this something linked to the new change or is it a fun featurette of a recent Firefox upgrade?

Vekseid

The quick reply, at least, is behaving properly : /

Vekseid

Javascript is the culprit somewhere. Am digging. : /

Caeli

Quote from: Fragile Dreams on November 24, 2009, 10:34:23 AM
I'm not sure if someone else asked that. I was wondering if we could have the name of the person who started a post in a different column, like it was before, instead under the name of the post. I was finding that easier to short out the names and the topic names.
Quote from: Izu on November 24, 2009, 10:36:35 AM
Or can we have the inside of the forums be ordered the way the bookmarks are? :
Link to topic | Started by | Replies | Views | Latest replies

I actually like the way it is now. >_> Less columns = simpler, cleaner look. It was a little disorienting at first, but you can still sort threads by each item, and I like how long the title bar is. It looks so much more neat and tidy with so many fewer columns. Of course it takes getting used to, but it's a change that I like.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

kylie

You can still sort them by author by clicking on just the "Started by" link. 

Still...  I find it harder to read the thread titles or to see who started what this way.  There is one less column, and one really cluttered column instead.

Haibane

Quote from: Vekseid on November 24, 2009, 04:25:59 PM
Javascript is the culprit somewhere. Am digging. : /
Thank you. I do appreciate your diligence. *hugs*

This feature catches me out very rarely but when it does, boy is it mega-annoying.

Oreo

Quote from: kylie on November 24, 2009, 08:54:16 PM
You can still sort them by author by clicking on just the "Started by" link. 

Still...  I find it harder to read the thread titles or to see who started what this way.  There is one less column, and one really cluttered column instead.

I'm finding the same difficulty.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Oniya

Here's a thought - is it possible to not display the number of views on the list of subjects, but maybe only display that in the header when you open the thread?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Caeli on November 24, 2009, 07:05:15 PM
I actually like the way it is now. >_> Less columns = simpler, cleaner look. It was a little disorienting at first, but you can still sort threads by each item, and I like how long the title bar is. It looks so much more neat and tidy with so many fewer columns. Of course it takes getting used to, but it's a change that I like.

I'm with Oreo and Kylie on this one, I liked the other format better.  It was much easier to see the title of the thread and who started it. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oreo

Quote from: Mithlomwen on November 25, 2009, 08:25:34 AM
I'm with Oreo and Kylie on this one, I liked the other format better.  It was much easier to see the title of the thread and who started it.

I was able to scan before. Now I find I have to actually read to find things. It just takes me longer.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Haibane

I suspect having to look for things isn't due to this new layout specifically but is due to the fact there is a new layout - it's unfamiliar.

I'm not entirely sure what work was done with the upgrade - obviously the coding was all super-improved and some new features added and broken things fixed but was the graphical redesign actually necessary? I found the old layout quite a lot more 'adult'. Its subued colour scheme and mood suited an adult site moreso that this new scheme which feels a little 'light' and simplistic.

Can the old graphics be returned or were they an integrated part of everything that was clunky about the old code and so now incompatible?

I'm not being fussy - merely curious.

Oreo

QuoteI suspect having to look for things isn't due to this new layout specifically but is due to the fact there is a new layout - it's unfamiliar.
No it is actually because the two things I need to search through are right atop each other. Even if there were a space between the title and the name of the person who wrote it, would be a help. If it was just for RPing, I wouldn't care, but I find I am having to do a lot of skimming recently. The columns would be nice ;) .

I know it is insignificant with so many tweaks Veks, but I noticed this while moving threads. I can still make it work, but the full button showing would be nice. Nor do I know if it is only myself that has the problem. I'm on Vista/Mozilla/64bit

Valerian

Is anyone else having trouble telling what's a link and what isn't?  I'm not sure if this is just because I keep my monitors relatively dark (especially lately), but for me there's so little difference between the regular text and the link text, several times I've competely missed the fact that there is a link among the text as I'm reading along.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oreo

Quote from: Valerian on November 25, 2009, 10:35:39 AM
Is anyone else having trouble telling what's a link and what isn't?  I'm not sure if this is just because I keep my monitors relatively dark (especially lately), but for me there's so little difference between the regular text and the link text, several times I've competely missed the fact that there is a link among the text as I'm reading along.
I went to look at some of my own Valerian. Even knowing where the links were, I almost missed them.

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Vekseid

Quote from: Valerian on November 25, 2009, 10:35:39 AM

Yar, I think this is a better color (the harsher blue was too harsh, but this works okay for now).

Oniya

How about a mid-green or green-blue for links?  ($008800 or $008888)?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

I'd rather see links the standard convention colour - or close to it. New and different colours would be somewhat weird.

Vekseid

They were originally closer to cyan. Moving to blue makes them more readable.