News:

Main Menu

Wargamers bunker

Started by HairyHeretic, December 21, 2008, 09:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Figured I'd kick off a thread for general purpose wargames chat, since there seem to be a few of us around. New models, new armies, new games, painting or converting, whatever you want to talk about.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

RedFang

Sweet, well I paint Warhammer 40,000, and here is the story for my current army.

*takes in a deep breath and explains*

The Blood Wolves were created from a Wolf Brother (A 2nd Generation Space Wolf Chapter that failed due to mutation), the Wolf Brother escaped during the culling(systematic extermination of the entire Wolf Brothers Chapter, by the Space Wolves) He floated in space capsule for ten years until he crash landed on a Jungle Planet.  The mutation starts to turn him Wulfen, but not all the way, and he becomes a feared beast of the jungle.  During a routine hunt for some Orks the Blood Angels land on the same Planet.  Scout units report that droves of Ork corpses are found, and a hunt is underway to find the source, seeing at the Orks were clawed and their throats ripped out.

They find the Wolf Brother and are about to kill him as another beast when Chief Librarian Mephiston orders his capture.  Back abord their Battle Barg on the way to Baal Mephiston using his Physic Powers to pry into the mind of the Wolf Brother.  After ten days without food or water Mephiston emerges from the room, covered in blood and scares.  The Wolf Brother walks out, one eye gold, one blue.  He doesn't remember anything about the culling or his time on the Jungle Planet.  Yet he knows once they reach Baal that he isn't like the others.

The Blood Angel Surgens and Priest were able to remove the Mutation, over the course of weeks of painful surgery.  Yet Mephiston was always there keeping the Wolf Brother, who was now know as Tyrian, focused and alive.  While on Baal he wasn't permitted to join the Blood Angels and the Arostrocricy despized him.  He was a loud and prone to starting fights over food.  This lead to him being put into a gladiatorial match, in hoping it would kill him off.  Yet in the end he stood victorious.

He spent his next five years fighting and become champion of Baal.  Yet he started to have dreams, terrible dreams of someone he kept calling Father, a god like man, in a desperate battle against demons(His dreams are of Russ, and the Demons are Warp Spawn).  He meets with Mephiston and Dante and request that he go after his dreams, that he cannot stay on Baal when his Father is out their lost and in need of help.  They agree, but they will not send him alone.  They also cannot afford to send him with any Blood Angels.

"Give me an army." He requests, and Dante smiles.  Over the next ten years Tyrian and Dante search space for the most inhospitable planets and recruit for his new army.  Given Tyrians now cleansed Gene Seed a Chapter is Formed, the Blood Wolves.  The name is created after Mephiston reveals Tyrians past to him, in the form of a armored shoulder pad with the Wolf Brothers Icon on it.

Having been raised around the Red Armor he adopts it as his own, and pains on the Wolf Icon.  Then he and his new Chapter set out on their Battle Barg and search all of Space for Russ.  While on a planet helping the local Imperial Forces fight off some Dark Elder Tyrian hears of "his brothers in Blue".  After some investigation thinking he had found his father he plots a course for Feneris(Space Wolf Homeworld).

There he is greated by his former brothers who are unsure where the Wolf and his Chapter come from, but welcome them as Space Marines non the less.  With a great feast and mass amount of drinking Tyrian explains to the Great Wolf what he is doing.  The Great Wolf blesses his quest and the next day the Blood Wolves are off again.  Yet a Rune Priest comes up to the Great Wolf and says,"He is the Lost Brother, what should we do?"

"We let the Lost Son find the Lost Father." The Great Wolf spoke.

If I get around to it I will post my current army list.
Sometimes I read the post, type the posts and then forget what I was doing.

madpsyker

Ah, wargames.  For the moment they're a little too much for my blood but that might change...  I've had my eye wandering towards AT-42, particularly the UNA and Red Bloc figures.  For 40k... Guard all the way, probably Catachan, but you know how it goes.  You need the pieces, then the glue, then the rack of paint bottles...

Avi

Oh, how I wish there was an online service to play Warhammer/Warhammer 40K over the internet with people.  Just submit an army list, select a paint scheme, make your formations, build the battleground... it would be awesome.  Of course, one could exist, and I just don't know about it. >_>  I used to play High Elves in Fantasy and the Tau Empire in 40K.  I don't have the time for it now, and my armies are gathering dust.  Alas.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

HairyHeretic

You've got 2 options there, though neither is perfect. Dawn of War you can play online. Yes, it's 40k, but it's not quite the same. The's also Vassal. I *think* there's a 40k mod. There's definitely a BfG one. And if you like Bloodbowl there's fumbbl.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

madpsyker

So what about the other games like Mutant Chronicals and Rezolution?  Or are there not alot of players for those games?

HairyHeretic

You talking the older Warzone, or the new one that just came out?

One of the guys in my club tries to push it every so often, but the interest isn't really there.

The main games over here are 40k and Warmachine .. we had a fun Apoc game there week or so back, Orks on Marines at 15,000 points. We're talking about doing one every few months ... might try for Eldar / Bugs and refight the assault on Iyanden. We're also going to do the Macharian Crsuade off Bell of Lost Souls, and will have an Apocalypse game to finish that off.

We also have a Bloodbowl league on the go, and are talking about Necromunda. Some of the lads are playing some new skirmish game as well, with Conquistadors going into Hell. Can't think the name of it offhand.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

madpsyker

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 27, 2008, 03:15:24 PM
You talking the older Warzone, or the new one that just came out?

One of the guys in my club tries to push it every so often, but the interest isn't really there.
Eh, I'm talking about the older one from the 90's.  I managed to get the core book from my FLGS's used and discontinued rack.  Haven't looked into the new one yet but you're still doing better then me, I'd be surprised if I even found 40k interest up here.

HairyHeretic

I think the new ones is more of a heroclix kinda thing. I haven't looked into it really.

The older one has some nice rules. Minis are ok, but it just didn't get the market penetration around here. There's maybe half a dozen of us with armies (I have Mishima), but it rarely gets dusted off.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

madpsyker

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 27, 2008, 04:11:20 PM
I think the new ones is more of a heroclix kinda thing. I haven't looked into it really.

The older one has some nice rules. Minis are ok, but it just didn't get the market penetration around here. There's maybe half a dozen of us with armies (I have Mishima), but it rarely gets dusted off.
The rules are nice, but I haven't collected the minis for... anything really.  Still looking for that one game to really convince me to join.  Warmachine came close though...

HairyHeretic

Warmachine is a lot of fun. Hordes is good as well, and when you know one rule set you're most of the way to knowing the other.

Like any wargame, its not that cheap to get into, though the starter box gives you about 350 points, which is the smallest force games tend to be played with. Locally we tend to do 750, which gets you a couple of hours worth of play.

Plus PP are supposed to be moving to plastics for the unit box sets, so that should help. I prefer plastics over metals, as they're a lot easier to convert.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

madpsyker

Yeah, Warmachine can be a lot of fun.  A friend at college once let me play with one of his starter armies and it was close, I only won because the dice favored me just when we were down to our warcasters and one mech each...
I consider waiting until information for Warlands starts coming out, I like post-apocalyptic settings.

HairyHeretic

Not sure I know that one. Got a link?

One that I've spotted recently is Secrets of the Third Recih:1949

Its an alternate history WW2, obviously. The Germans perfected and released a zombie gas that kinda messed up Europe (possibly other places, via V series rockets as well, I can't remember for sure). It plays up the occult and mad science angles as well.

Looking at the German forces as an example, you have primitive power armoured paratroops, walking light mechs, zombies, a mad scientist (probably complete with beautiful daughter), and werewolves.

It looks like it'd be a lot of fun, but I'm finding it hard to track down a copy of the rules from any of the places I normally browse.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

madpsyker

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 31, 2008, 05:33:29 AM
Not sure I know that one. Got a link?

One that I've spotted recently is Secrets of the Third Recih:1949

Its an alternate history WW2, obviously. The Germans perfected and released a zombie gas that kinda messed up Europe (possibly other places, via V series rockets as well, I can't remember for sure). It plays up the occult and mad science angles as well.

Looking at the German forces as an example, you have primitive power armoured paratroops, walking light mechs, zombies, a mad scientist (probably complete with beautiful daughter), and werewolves.

It looks like it'd be a lot of fun, but I'm finding it hard to track down a copy of the rules from any of the places I normally browse.

http://www.aberrantgames.com/war/

Figures the day I went to get a link is the day they start updating it.
Never heard of Secrets of the Third Reich, I'll have to look into it sometime.

HairyHeretic

Hmm .. looks like someone's dusting off Dark Future :) That takes me back a ways. Second game I ever got, just after the original red box Blood Bowl

http://www.sotr1949.com/

is the link for mine. West Wind are the ones that do the game and minis, and there's a link to their site there as well.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Overlord

With three MMO's I play (well, OK four but I'm not really active in Vanguard) I can confess to the crowd that I'm a genuine MMO addict, but I do step into my wargaming every so often.

I own two bookshelves full of painted minis, mostly Dungons&Dragons and Battletech, including a fair amount of Ral Partha and Ironwind classics.

Mechwarrior 4 Mercencaries is always on my hard drive and when the fit takes me I fire up the old fusion reactor and head out onto the battlefield.

I also own Silent Hunter III tweaked with the Grey Wolves Expansion, which is of course a full-tilt Nazi U-boat simulator.

HairyHeretic

My Battletech forces are House Kurita (2nd Sword of Light) and Clan Nova Cat.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

madpsyker

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 01, 2009, 07:15:53 AM
Hmm .. looks like someone's dusting off Dark Future :) That takes me back a ways. Second game I ever got, just after the original red box Blood Bowl

http://www.sotr1949.com/

is the link for mine. West Wind are the ones that do the game and minis, and there's a link to their site there as well.
Thanks, I'll check it out.  And while I've heard of Battletech and leafed through a few books for it, I never saw any minis or really did much reading into it.  Know of any good places to start reading up on it?

HairyHeretic

Considering just how much battletech stuff there is, go with google. You'll be overloaded with links. Explaining even half the timeline would take me hours :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

madpsyker

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 11, 2009, 06:50:08 PM
Considering just how much battletech stuff there is, go with google. You'll be overloaded with links. Explaining even half the timeline would take me hours :)
Oh, that warning reminds me of how long it took me to dive into the 40k lore.  :P  Eh, I'll get through it when I find the time.

HairyHeretic

They're probably comparable. Battletech has been going at least 20 years and probably more. You've got about .. 60 years maybe .. of goings on from when it started til the time of the Jihad, and then the Dark Ages stuff after that, but I've never bothered with it myself.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NikitaFirestar

Can anyone in here help me with information on Shadowblade assassin, in seventh edition?
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

The Overlord

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 03, 2009, 01:02:09 PM
My Battletech forces are House Kurita (2nd Sword of Light) and Clan Nova Cat.

I did a mix of Clan and House units, including combined arms over the years. Our mercenary campaign went for a good year in the Chaos March and had a couple mixed tonnage lances, supported by a vehicle platoon anchored by an Alacorn Gauss carrier.

For something different we ran a Goliath Scorpion second-line unit, that went on the Seeker path within the Inner Sphere in search of Star League relics. With the prior notice and cooperation of Wolf's Dragoons, we masqueraded as the 7th Scorpion Dragoons, a Clan-equipped merc unit. Lot of good times there.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 11, 2009, 06:50:08 PM

That's OK, I already know it.  :P

HairyHeretic

Quote from: NikitaFirestar on January 12, 2009, 10:03:01 PM
Can anyone in here help me with information on Shadowblade assassin, in seventh edition?

Thats the Dark Elf assassin, yeah? I think I might have a copy of the Dark Elf book about. I'll check when I get back in this evening.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NikitaFirestar

Thanks! My buddy is trying to study the Shadowblade seventh edition guy because he's going up against him in battle on Wednesday. Anything at all is great!
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.