WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 17, 2015, 05:03:25 PM
Kinda.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Genestealer_Cult

Hm. On one hand, it's a cool idea... on the other hand, it's another cult. There seem to be so many cults in this game...

Quite possibly.

Cool! More models to lose money on  :-)

BTW. You guys mentioned that the new Dark Eldar models aren't too different from the older ones. Well, they certainly aren't, as - after looking at these models - I can't really say which are those that were added recently. So, which ones were these?

And if you don't mind, two general questions...

One: as I'm reading through WH40K, I notice that many of the threats to the Imperium are kind of... covert. Chaos is considered a secret to the general population. Dark Eldar are just a rumour. Necrons are out there, but Imperium doesn't seem to really have noticed them. So... which of the various threats an average Imperium citizen would know? Orcs, Tyranids?

Two: I'm kind of trying to come up with a Dark Heresy scenario... But, as I haven't read most of the book yet, I'm kind wondering: how does an Iquisition investigation actually begin? What could tip an Inquisitor off that something merits investigation?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on February 17, 2015, 05:32:53 PM
Hm. On one hand, it's a cool idea... on the other hand, it's another cult. There seem to be so many cults in this game...

Not that many different ones really. Chaos cults are the main ones, with stealer cults a distant second.

That being said, there are quite a LOT of Chaos cults :)

Cool! More models to lose money on  :-)

I for one would definitely like some Mk 4 armour to add into my Night Lords, without having to pay ForgeWorld prices :)

BTW. You guys mentioned that the new Dark Eldar models aren't too different from the older ones. Well, they certainly aren't, as - after looking at these models - I can't really say which are those that were added recently. So, which ones were these?

The model range was revamped a bit with the warriors and wyches being redone. The same style, more or less, but better and more detailed models. I think the Haemonculus cults got a lot of new toys, and the mandrakes too.

And if you don't mind, two general questions...

One: as I'm reading through WH40K, I notice that many of the threats to the Imperium are kind of... covert. Chaos is considered a secret to the general population. Dark Eldar are just a rumour. Necrons are out there, but Imperium doesn't seem to really have noticed them. So... which of the various threats an average Imperium citizen would know? Orcs, Tyranids?

An average Imperial citizen, probably none. Unless they lived in a region where there were threats, it's in the Imperiums interest to keep them ignorant of what is out there.

They'd be taught to hate the heretic, the mutant, the alien, the witch, but those as a matter of course.

Two: I'm kind of trying to come up with a Dark Heresy scenario... But, as I haven't read most of the book yet, I'm kind wondering: how does an Iquisition investigation actually begin? What could tip an Inquisitor off that something merits investigation?

Almost anything.

An attack of some kind.
Missing people, or bodies turning up.
Strange objects being found by the likes of the Arbites.
A warning from an agent (A Rogue Trader, for example).
Prophecy
Divination

The nature of what the investigation would lead to would help in suggesting triggers.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheGlyphstone

Don't forget all the different Imperial cults. Beorning is right, there are a lot of cults in 40K. Wych cults, genestealer cults, Death cults, Chaos cults, other Imperial religious cults, even Ork Kults (of Speed).

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 17, 2015, 06:41:51 PM
The model range was revamped a bit with the warriors and wyches being redone. The same style, more or less, but better and more detailed models. I think the Haemonculus cults got a lot of new toys, and the mandrakes too.

See? Cults!  ;D

As for the mandrakes - aren't they just one unit?

Anyway, all of the DE minis are verrrrry cool and I want to have most of them...

An average Imperial citizen, probably none. Unless they lived in a region where there were threats, it's in the Imperiums interest to keep them ignorant of what is out there.

True, but doesn't the Imperial propaganda need some sort of enemy to show to the citizens? Otherwise, how do they justify that immense army the Imperium keeps?

I admit that, initially, I assumed that "in the future, there is only war" was  the mindset of Imperial citizens - that they knew that there was a constant war going on. But now it seems that, on average, these people think that they live in peace times...?

Almost anything.

An attack of some kind.
Missing people, or bodies turning up.
Strange objects being found by the likes of the Arbites.
A warning from an agent (A Rogue Trader, for example).
Prophecy
Divination

The nature of what the investigation would lead to would help in suggesting triggers.

Let's say I want to have a scenario with a secret cult (obviously  ;D) existing on some planet. How to get the Inquisition involved?

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 17, 2015, 07:19:19 PM
Don't forget all the different Imperial cults. Beorning is right, there are a lot of cults in 40K. Wych cults, genestealer cults, Death cults, Chaos cults, other Imperial religious cults, even Ork Kults (of Speed).

Exactly. Now I suspect that even the Tau have some cults...  ;)

CountessJess

Quote from: Beorning on February 17, 2015, 07:41:32 PM
True, but doesn't the Imperial propaganda need some sort of enemy to show to the citizens? Otherwise, how do they justify that immense army the Imperium keeps?

I admit that, initially, I assumed that "in the future, there is only war" was  the mindset of Imperial citizens - that they knew that there was a constant war going on. But now it seems that, on average, these people think that they live in peace times...?

Let's say I want to have a scenario with a secret cult (obviously  ;D) existing on some planet. How to get the Inquisition involved?

Most of the common citizenry have some idea of the enemies that the Imperium fight. Imperium puts up propaganda posters, most planets muster a Planetary Defence Force, many planets that are in 'safe' territories still tithe off populations to help man the Imperial Guard, and so on. Most people are somehow connected to the war effort one way or another, whether it's in the bureaucracy, or the arms factories, or whatever. There's still a lot of politicking going around and nobles living comfortable lives and all that, while poor people slave away in manufactorums and so on. It's not really described in the 40k tabletop codexes; you'll have to read the Dark Heresy set of rulebooks or some Black Library books to get a better idea.

Inquisition usually has lots of agents and friendlies in the rest of the Imperium organizations, and they have information gatherers in a lot of places. So there are a lot of ways that they could find out about cults. Supposing a member of the Adeptus Arbites on Hive World Somethingortheotherus puts down on his report of a raid on a drug den that strange symbols were found on the walls, or the Ecclesiarchy receives SOS transmissions from a pilgrim vessel that they were under daemonic attack. Inquisition agents within those organizations would send those reports on to the inquisition, or people friendly to the inquisiton would pass them on to the nearest inquisition fortress.

Beorning

Thank you guys, that was helpful  ;D

On another note, an idea that just struck me: you know how Event Horizon works as an unintended prequel to WH40K, right? So... I started thinking: how about more of such prequels... WH40K stories that actually work on their own, being set in completely different era etc.?

And then it struck me: you know, these Genestealers Cults? They could actually work in some modern-day horror story. One could use this idea to create a boss horror movie about hidden invasion of monsters on 21st century Earth... and the audience would even have to know of the wider WH40K connection. It could stand on its own perfectly...

CountessJess

Quote from: Beorning on February 18, 2015, 04:34:00 PM
Thank you guys, that was helpful  ;D

On another note, an idea that just struck me: you know how Event Horizon works as an unintended prequel to WH40K, right? So... I started thinking: how about more of such prequels... WH40K stories that actually work on their own, being set in completely different era etc.?

And then it struck me: you know, these Genestealers Cults? They could actually work in some modern-day horror story. One could use this idea to create a boss horror movie about hidden invasion of monsters on 21st century Earth... and the audience would even have to know of the wider WH40K connection. It could stand on its own perfectly...

DYE - Fantasy as a demonstration of a Slaaneshi ritual gone wrong. =D

Wajin

Quote from: CountessJess on February 18, 2015, 04:58:08 PM
DYE - Fantasy as a demonstration of a Slaaneshi ritual gone wrong. =D

You had to remind me of that ungodly video... *shudders*
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Revelation

Quote from: Beorning on February 17, 2015, 07:41:32 PM

Exactly. Now I suspect that even the Tau have some cults...  ;)

You wouldn't be wrong - Tau may as well be a cult of personality based around the Ethereals.

Wajin

Quote from: Changingsaint on February 18, 2015, 05:04:37 PM
You wouldn't be wrong - Tau may as well be a cult of personality based around the Ethereals.

Or Farsight :P
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

Revelation

Quote from: A Japanese Dane on February 18, 2015, 05:08:53 PM
Or Farsight :P

While possibly true, i'm not as familiar with the new history for Farsight. As far as I know, he still found the blade, went 'Fuck you Ethereals, im gonna make my own interstellar empire', and has a popular following - and 13 crazy bodyguards, one of whom is an AI.

TheGlyphstone

Does it count as a cult of personality if it's enforced by pheremones and/or outright mind control?

Oniya

Mind control could be considered an extension of the cult-leader's personality.

(And now I have that song stuck in my head.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wajin

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 18, 2015, 05:15:39 PM
Does it count as a cult of personality if it's enforced by pheremones and/or outright mind control?

it's only 8 :P and you forgot the crazy renegade tau chick with the flame fetish :D

Revelation

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 18, 2015, 05:15:39 PM

Absolutely. They don't worship the ethereals as gods or deities, but there are deliberate similarities between Ethereals and famous cult of personality figures ala north korea and the Cultural revolution era China.

Beorning

Quote from: A Japanese Dane on February 18, 2015, 05:25:12 PM
it's only 8 :P and you forgot the crazy renegade tau chick with the flame fetish :D

Crazy renegade chick? *interest is piqued*

Wajin

Quote from: Beorning on February 19, 2015, 01:36:07 PM
Crazy renegade chick? *interest is piqued*

Sub-Commander Torchstar - The youngest of the Eight and a defector from the Tau Empire, Torchstar is an impetuous Vior’lan whose affinity with fire has seen her immolate hundreds of the Tau’s foes.

Lustful Bride

If Genndy Tartakovsky (You should know him from Samurai Jack) worked on WH40K

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Excuse me I think I just had an orgasm ~<3

Seriously id pay to watch something like this! Samurai Jack mixed with Warhammer..it would be glorious!

Huh..now im left wondering what a 40K TV/online series would be like.

Beorning

Quote from: Lustful Bride on February 21, 2015, 12:33:03 PM
Huh..now im left wondering what a 40K TV/online series would be like.

I guess it'd be something HBO could be interested in. I mean, I can't imagine such a show as anything else then a mature viewers' show. There so much violence and sex in that game...

Anyway, nice finds, LB!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on February 21, 2015, 12:51:54 PM
I guess it'd be something HBO could be interested in. I mean, I can't imagine such a show as anything else then a mature viewers' show. There so much violence and sex in that game...

Not a lot of sex unless you make every plot about busting up Slaaneshi cults. Excessive amounts of violence.

That's why you animate it, so it can be for kids! :D

I like the Sister and the Necron. The Ultramarine looks pretty normal. :-)

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 21, 2015, 12:53:22 PM
Not a lot of sex unless you make every plot about busting up Slaaneshi cults.

Hey, Dark Eldar are, basically, wearing bondage gear. And there's something quite S&M about Sisters Repentia, too...

Anyway, the show would be R-rated even if only because of the violence alone...

That's why you animate it, so it can be for kids! :D

Well, there a Rambo cartoon, after all...

Seriously speaking, though, I admit that I'm kind puzzled about the fact that there are, apparently, kids playing this game...

TheGlyphstone

I was playing this game when I was 12 or so. All I knew was that super-soldiers in power armor were awesome and they shot aliens in the face.

For the majority of those kids, how many of them do you think had their parents look at all the background material for the game in depth? Or did they also take the same superficial look, see 'plastic/metal toy soldiers game where pretend space troopers fight imaginary aliens' and leave it at that?

HairyHeretic

If you were going to do a 40k tv show, I think something focused on an Inquisitor and his retinue would probably work best. They have the most freedom to go places and show all the different strata of 40k life, and you could easily pull in the occasional Marine, SoB or xenos for the story of the week.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheGlyphstone

Basically a detective show, IN SPAAAAACE, with 40K trappings. Could work, and keeping the occasional xeno story for monster-of-the-week specials would cut down on the CGI budget.

CountessJess

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 21, 2015, 01:20:22 PM
If you were going to do a 40k tv show, I think something focused on an Inquisitor and his retinue would probably work best. They have the most freedom to go places and show all the different strata of 40k life, and you could easily pull in the occasional Marine, SoB or xenos for the story of the week.

Inquisitor Mulder and Interrogator Scully of the Ordos Xscriptoria?