Could someone explain the details of anti-bumping policies?

Started by Brandon, January 19, 2011, 05:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Thread links for ease of reference: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=77160.0
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=54177.0

Awhile back I updated my looking for games thread, Im not 100% sure on this but I think I indicated one of my stories had opened up after a player essentially stopped playing. However my post was deleted. Now I was aware of the anti-bumping rules at the time but I thought it only happened when it was clear that there were no changes done. 

However as I have added a new story to my thread (and hope I'll add more soon) I find myself a little concerned of this kind of thing happening again. My main concern is, that the policy seems to support the idea that you must add a new story to the thread each time. This may sound odd coming from someone with almost 40 in his thread (consider that was done over the last 2 years) but Im not that good at creating original ideas in roughly the same 1-2 month time period it takes the average player to stop playing.

That said, I was wondering if someone could explain the policy in detail?

Specifically, I want to know what is considered a "significant change" to the thread? Also, threads are sometimes left without any changes (that I can see), assuming that this isnt a mistake what is considered an acceptable time frame between bumps without changes?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Lilias

If it is a game you had on your main post and crossed out when it was taken, but now you want it re-opened, you might want to take it down from the top post and repost it on a new one. Many people click on the 'last post' icon when viewing a thread with new posts (at least I do), so just mentioning an update there and forcing them to scroll all the way up to the top to see what's up can be counterproductive.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Brandon

Well first off, that doesnt work for my threads since I keep everything that similar in one out of four posts. This allows me to keep the thread neat and keeps it low maintenance, allowing me to concentrate more on current games and adding new content rather then spending hours editing the thread everytime an edit is necessary

The other thing is, while thats useful constructive critisism it doesnt really answer my questions
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Trieste

Yes, the policy is that you may not bump the post to the top of the board unless you have updated the thread. An update consists of either a new story, or a revamp of a current story.

Hope that helps. :)

Brandon

It does clear things up. However while it encourages the addition of more content and expenditure of creative energies it also seems a bit counter intuitive to the purpose of the very forum its supposed to aid. I understand that it was put in place to prevent individuals from keeping their specific thread up at the top of a page without a need to edit and clarify their game ideas and I fully agree with that. The policy totally works for members coming from other communities where such things are considered normal. It doesnt work for people like me though.

Let me try to elaborate. As games open and close those threads tend to be in a constantly changing state which is IMO a significant change in the grand scheme of looking for games threads.

Time between bumps can also be a large factor. For example, on average mine gets bumped every 1-3 months due to a flux in open/closed games, added story ideas/characters, or general state of desires to play certain archetypes in stories (sometimes but rarely all three). I personally can not see a problem with a game thread being bumped with no changes after a month long period, thats not flooding the games wanted section.

Dont get me wrong here, Im not saying that anyone should be able to bump a looking for games thread at any time when no changes have been made. That would be stupid.

What I am suggesting is bumping within reason be considered, basing what is within reason through a measurement of real life time, flux of open/closed games, or both.

I hope all that made sense.

Oniya

From what I understand from Brandon's post, the update in question was that a plotline that had been unavailable for a significant period of time.  To be clear, is that sort of change in status not considered a 'significant' update?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

It's a grey area, as are the posts that "my partner fell through so I'm looking again". It's not a story update (which is what we look for - new content) but it is a relevant reason to be looking for a partner without a change. While I think it's technically against the policy as written, I tend to leave those posts alone. I've seen them left alone when other staffers do a sweep though the wanted boards, too, so I think normally it's just ignored.

And we've already said no to the 'bump of the month' idea... With the above exceptions, we do expect new content when there is a bump/update/whatevs.