Power [Rules updated, now NC! Still recruiting]

Started by Xillen, January 29, 2011, 06:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AurelieCatena

Yes, promises made in a dare should be binding. But also the promises made by those giving a dare. Otherwise it would be unfair. Exact wording matters in both cases.

Sethala

Agreed.  Though I think we should limit how "separated" promises can be before they stop working.  I'd say only promises made by the person giving the dare, or made by the person doing the dare should count.  Promises made with a third party are only bound by honor, nothing more.  (For instance, Chug's promise to Lea that he'd give her a dare she could do wouldn't be binding - it's too far separated.)

And of course, promises only apply if they're possible.  For example, if Lea makes the pillory go away with the power, Alex is free again, even though she promised she'd be bound.  You can't use the power to make your promises impossible (so Alex can't make the pillory go away with the power, and Lea can't make clothes appear on her, although she can create clothes and have them ready for when she can wear them), but you can talk other people into doing so.

(Someone stop me if I'm going too far, I tend to go overboard with these kinds of things...)

AurelieCatena

Now that you say that, I get your point. You are right, only the dares should be enforced. Any other promise should rest on trust and honour.

Sethala

Well, it looks like most of us are in favor of this...

At this point I'd like to ask, what are we waiting on?  It looks like Aurelie's already asking for things to shift to NC in the OOC thread...

Xillen

I've added a poll, to see if people like Non-consensual or Extreme more, and if we should move the current game or open a new game. Feel free to vote!

AurelieCatena> As you said, it's really tricky to do that, as how do you plan to convince someone to take a dare to become a servant. Also, I don't really like temporary servants. That sounds like it's a lot of bookkeeping.

Forced dares can never directly affect how you use the Power. That sounds like a good rule. To clarify, I would like to add that the usefulness of whatever you can do with the Power could be limited. For example, if the dare for Lea to stay naked was a forced dare, she could still use the Power to summon clothes, but it wouldn't be as useful since she wouldn't be allowed to wear them.

Promised binding is a complicated one. It does make sense to keep promises made to complete a dare binding to the person that made the promise. Perhaps something simple like:

You must do your best to complete a promise made to complete a dare. There doesn't need to be a rule to using the power to make that impossible, since using the power in that way would go against the general rule of doing your best to complete a promise. As a rule of thumb, I'd say only promises made to complete a dare are binding, and only to the person that made the promise and consecutively received the power. Anyone else is not affected, and if you make a promise as part of a dare, but someone else beats you to the power, the promise is made, but not enforced by the power.

Sethala

The idea of temporary servants is kind of like the blind dare idea.  If you agree to be a servant until you get the power a second time, say, you get the power right away, but the drawback is you can't refuse the next dare you get.  Personally, I don't see any more bookkeeping than any other promise (such as Chug's latest dare to Lea).  And then of course, you can't force a dare on someone if it involves them being a servant for even longer (essentially, you can't "wish for more wishes").

As for promises, I agree with that proposal.

For the poll, I said I'd like to run two games, but that really depends on how many each game would have after creating it.  If it's not enough to keep the game going, then move it (and maybe try to start up a new one in bondage?)

One last note... should we put a limit on how complex forced dares can be?  Maybe something like, no more than 15-20 words (you can make longer dares, but they won't be forced).  Otherwise I could see things getting a bit out of hand, potentially...

Xillen

Yeah, but basically becoming a temporary servant boils down to your next dare being mandatory. If we go for blind dares, that option seems rather useless and overkill to me.

The guests and servants idea was with permanent servants in mind, not with temporary ones.

AurelieCatena

I like your rules, Xillen.

As for blind dares, I say we keep them and we'll just see if they get used or not... Their attractiveness may vary with peoples and situations.

Sethala

Fair enough.  Thoughts on limiting how complex a forced dare can be, though?

AurelieCatena

I'm against fixing an arbitrary limit.

Let's keep it reasonable. If someone goes too far, we can make him/her change it.

Xillen

It should still make sense as one dare. It can ask you to do more than one thing in a row, but the two things done must be somehow related, even if slightly so.

I don't want to write down hard limits for this, but people shouldn't make forced dares overly complex. They should be of the same complexity as regular dares. If people go over the top, we can sort it out in OOC.

Sethala

Sounds good.

Two questions, then: first, can a dare include a requirement that the target take a blind dare at some point?  (i.e. "you can have the power, but you can't get the power again after it leaves you unless you take a blind dare")  Second, if someone's in the middle of performing a dare, and someone else requests a blind dare, does that revoke the in-progress dare as well?  (For instance, a dare of "strip naked and then have someone lock you into the pillory", if the person strips and someone else asks for a blind dare before the first person gets locked in, does the first dare still get revoked?)

Xillen

Dares in progress get revoked. Dares that are completed do of course not get revoked, so don't go asking for blind dares when someone has already completed his dare and is just waiting to receive the power.

Dares to take a blind dare? Like in: "I dare you to promise me to take a blind dare next time!"? Nah, that sounds abusable. You can never dare someone to take a blind dare, or to take a dare in general for that matter.

Sethala

Hm, that's a pity... (my "idea" is that things like blind dares might be more common if they're suggested by someone, rather than just an option - hence wanting to make someone a servant for a short time).

So, to recap:

Servant system is out completely.
Blind dares are in: Blind dares are enforced upon whoever asks for them, but no one else can ask for or complete a dare after a blind dare is asked for.  Blind dares cannot be overly complex, and they cannot force the victim into doing additional blind dares, or limit how they use the power.
Promises made by the person completing a dare are binding.  Promises made by other people are only binding on their honor.
Power usage cannot make one of your own promises impossible, but it can make someone else's promise impossible.  In case of the latter, there is no penalty.
NC actions (such as taking advantage of someone helpless) are now possible.

Did I miss anything?

AurelieCatena

Xillen

Quote from: Sethala on February 16, 2011, 04:39:43 PMHm, that's a pity... (my "idea" is that things like blind dares might be more common if they're suggested by someone, rather than just an option - hence wanting to make someone a servant for a short time).

That's just pushing people into doing a blind dare, which we also said wouldn't be a good thing.

Quote from: Sethala on February 16, 2011, 04:39:43 PMServant system is out completely.

As a temporary factor for sure. Perhaps if someone would want to play a permanent Servant, we could check into things.

Quote from: Sethala on February 16, 2011, 04:39:43 PMBlind dares are in: Blind dares are enforced upon whoever asks for them, but no one else can ask for or complete a dare after a blind dare is asked for.  Blind dares cannot be overly complex, and they cannot force the victim into doing additional blind dares, or limit how they use the power.

Correct. The character receiving the dare always decides if they want a normal or a blind dare. Nobody else can force a character to take a blind dare, or ask them to take a blind dare as part of a dare. In short, no dare can refer to blind dares in any way.

Quote from: Sethala on February 16, 2011, 04:39:43 PMPromises made by the person completing a dare are binding.

But only if the promise was part of the dare.

Quote from: Sethala on February 16, 2011, 04:39:43 PMPromises made by other people are only binding on their honor.

Yeap.

Quote from: Sethala on February 16, 2011, 04:39:43 PMPower usage cannot make one of your own promises impossible,

Basically, when you make a binding promise, you need to complete that promise to the best of your abilities, which includes not using the power in such ways that would make it impossible for you to complete your promise, so no separate rule needs to be made for this. If there would be such a rule, it would seriously limit the possibility of promises in blind dares, since there's almost always some way to break your promise using the power, meaning you can basically not be asked to promise anything, due to the earlier mentioned rule.

Quote from: Sethala on February 16, 2011, 04:39:43 PMbut it can make someone else's promise impossible.  In case of the latter, there is no penalty.

Correct. That would make the remaining promise void.

It's also possible that using the Power makes it harder for others to complete a promise. In that case, they still need to try and complete the promise to the best of their abilities, unless it would no longer match specific formulations of the promise.

Quote from: Sethala on February 16, 2011, 04:39:43 PMNC actions (such as taking advantage of someone helpless) are now possible.

Only when the character's player gives permission in the OOC thread, or the character sheet includes a general permission for receiving NC.

AurelieCatena

I have already modified my character sheet to take this into account.

Kate

Xillen

It most certainly is! And we're always looking for more people.

Just jump into the Out of Character thread to read the rules, post your character in the Characters thread, and then have your character enter the game in the In Character thread.

We are discussing what direction to head the story towards, but you can join at any time.

AurelieCatena

Welcome, Kate!

The nice thing with this game is anybody is free to join or leave it at any time...

And you don't need to read more than a few messages back as your character is not supposed to know what happened before. Just try to see what the environment is and who is present.

Sethala

Well hello there, and welcome to the game!  As Aurelie said, this game's pretty easy to just jump in to; the summary thread lists what each person did with the power (at least it should... *nudges Xillen*), so reading through that should give you an idea of what kinds of weirdness everyone's done.

Xillen

Sethala

Alright, looks like 3 people are interested in moving the game, 2 are interested in keeping it where it is, 4 want the game to be NC, and only one wants Extreme.  As I've mentioned before, I'm only interested in keeping it where it is if enough people will stay to support it, so I'd like to know, if we open up another game in NC/Extreme (don't worry about which yet), who's going to ignore the new game, who's going to jump ship and leave the current one, and who's going to play in both?

Personally, I'm going to stick in both if another game opens up.

subrob99

AurelieCatena

I'll stop here and move to the new thread.