The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Inkidu, January 11, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqueline

It's so funny, it made me giggle quite a bit.

I need to try the sneaking trick, so far I can't seem to level it up much... if at all.

Hemingway

QuoteI've joined up with the legion. I might've given the Stormcloaks more consideration if they weren't so blatantly anti-milk. Milk is delicious, so screw them for using milk-drinker as a pejorative. :|

Yeah, because that's worse than when the Legion sold out Tamriel to the Altmer and tried to kill you! xD

Jacqueline

By the way, after not much work, I managed to create a cute Breton. The character creation wasn't as bad as I thought!

Quote from: mannik on November 13, 2011, 05:54:43 AM

I admit, I kinda cheated a little to get my sneak so high...I figured out how sneak xp works. You gain xp for sneak while moving around enemies undetected, for successful sneak attacks, or if enemies are looking for you but can't find you. So what I did was find me a nice dark corner behind a rock or something in a room with like three or four people in it. Shoot an arrow at the far wall (or someone's face) to get their attention, then hide and wait for them to give up....rinse and repeat. You'll gain sneak levels faster than you'd think.

Do you remember any place for the sneaking trick?

Inkidu

Fuck. I just can't seem to get the focus. I guess I'm still on the ten major skills thing from Oblivion. I want a ranger character so I picked basically.

Sneak
Archery
One-handed
Illusion (fury spell makes combat with multiple humanoids easy)
Block
Light armor
Speech (yes it's still useless, but hey role to the mother fucking play)

I think I just hit level 10. Am I still trying to do too much? It's just so awesome.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

mannik

Quote from: Elenwe on November 13, 2011, 08:41:52 AM
By the way, after not much work, I managed to create a cute Breton. The character creation wasn't as bad as I thought!

Do you remember any place for the sneaking trick?

The first place I figured it out was fairly early in the game...some cave with necromancers in it...I think it was the dungeon with the ruby dragon claw....There was a room with two different levels and very little light. There were two necromancers sitting at a table on the top level and I think there was a pool of water on the bottom. Instead of taking the obvious path to the right I jumped on some rocks and climbed up on the left.

There was a cage with some dead Nords in it and a rock formation next to that. The rock formation comes up just high enough to see and shoot over it while sneaking, but the necromancers never actually went into the little corner it forms while looking for me...so I'd shoot over the rock, they'd run around, literally passing inches away from me, but not see me.

Sorry...can't really be more specific than that.

Quote from: Inkidu on November 13, 2011, 09:09:11 AM
Fuck. I just can't seem to get the focus. I guess I'm still on the ten major skills thing from Oblivion. I want a ranger character so I picked basically.

Sneak
Archery
One-handed
Illusion (fury spell makes combat with multiple humanoids easy)
Block
Light armor
Speech (yes it's still useless, but hey role to the mother fucking play)

I think I just hit level 10. Am I still trying to do too much? It's just so awesome.

Speechcraft isn't entirely useless anymore...its been combined with the mercantile skill and the barter mechanic completely removed...so higher speech = lower prices/higher sell...you'll also be able to press NPCs for information about quests easier, and may even get some that you wouldn't normally....for instance I was passed by a mercenary on their way to investigate some 'troubles' but when I tried to persuade her to let me join she refused....I guess I could have just followed her, but...I'm not that patient.

And I wouldn't worry about trying to do too much...just play the game and have fun, you're character will adapt and grow based on your play style, that's what's awesome about it.

Hemingway

Hmm. I wish I knew better how things fit into the overarching story. I joined the Stormcloaks, but I have a feeling I should've waited ... or ... something.

Shjade

Interesting. I seem to be the only person in this thread who's playing a non-sneaky non-fighter.

Sierra likes fire. Lots and lots of fire. And not being sneaky at all. Because fire is the anti-sneaky. In fact, if I even appear to be remotely not-seen by nearby monsters, I pop Candlelight to make sure everyone can see me.

So that I can set them all on fire.

Just hit level 10 last night/this morning, pretty much pure Destruction with a dab of Restoration (to get to the regen-magicka-faster perks) and Speech (because after setting everything on fire I end up with a lot of stuff to sell).

Accomplishments thus far: soloing two mammoths and a giant, all at the same time, at level 5, and killing Krosis, who I stumbled onto entirely by accident while checking out compass markers in the mountains en route to Whitehelm, at level 9/10 (I can't remember if I hit 10 before or after the very long fight) using only Fire Rune and whatever that flame-stream novice spell is called. And only died once in each of those fights. Normally being able to kill massive badasses while so extremely low level and without any awesome gear would lead me to say that the game is too easy, but those were some epic-scale kiting cat-and-mouse battles.

This is the most fun I've had with a Bethesda game. Ever.

Sidenote, for anyone planning to/interested in leveling magic skills, if you didn't already know, using higher-tier spells gives you a lot more skill experience. A LOT more. Apparently it also scales off of either how much damage you do with it or how many targets you hit, or both, I'm not sure; all I know is that using double-fisted fire stream on things is pretty lethal but slow skill gain, but landing a Fire Rune (Apprentice spell) on 2-3 targets gives me about 1/3 of a Destruction skill level in one shot, and I'm already up to 48 Destruction. Recommend getting those use-higher-tier-spells-for-half-mana perks quick so you can use the high-xp spells sooner and more often.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 13, 2011, 12:48:04 PM
Hmm. I wish I knew better how things fit into the overarching story. I joined the Stormcloaks, but I have a feeling I should've waited ... or ... something.
I don't think you have to worry. I joined the legion like right off the bat. I thought it was one of the best factions in Morrowind, and I thought it was making a comeback after being absent in Oblivion.

I did the first quest too. I think the dragon main quest and the civil war main quest are kind of separate in actual technical execution. I don't know. I do know I have the dark brotherhood after me. The sent an assassin and everything. I'm thinking of joining up just so I can kill the lady who wrote my assassination orders. Actually haven't started the dragon part of the game yet. However, I have collected a few words.

Oh and. Goddamed mother-fucking snow cats! Jesus!
Literally every time my brother said snow cat I got mauled five minutes later. I'm not kidding. He said it in a town and I left the town and was mauled to death on the road! D:
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Yeah, but everything is intertwined. I know there are no right or wrong choices, but I like weighing my options.

Jacqueline

Aw... I killed them already. I will have to find another nice place for the sneaking trick.

Elenwe is an ice sneaky mage for now, the first poor dragon didn't stand a chance!

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on November 13, 2011, 12:55:56 PM
Oh and. Goddamed mother-fucking snow cats! Jesus!
Literally every time my brother said snow cat I got mauled five minutes later. I'm not kidding. He said it in a town and I left the town and was mauled to death on the road! D:

I think a snow cat is the only thing in the game thus far that has both attacked me first and nigh-immediately killed me. My only other deaths were from 1) shooting a mammoth at point-blank range to see how hard it would hit me and how fast it could run, so entirely my fault, 2) getting nuked by Krosis after wandering into his area when I had no business being there yet, 3) walking into a cave inhabited by trolls without proper respect for trolls, and 4) walking into spikes at the bottom of a pit without realizing just nudging them rather than falling on them would still kill me.

Snow cats is lethal, yo.

Also, I haven't seen a dragon since leaving Helgen yet, myself, but I've been ignoring the dragon questline for the time being in favor of working my way to the mage college in the northeast, so it's probably waiting for me by the Western Tower with the Jarl's dunmer right-hand woman.

Also also, regarding fast-travel policy, mine is to use it for convenience of inventory management. Basically, when I'm trying to walk from one end of the world to the other, my inventory is going to fill up three to five times, at least, on the way, so I tend to fast-travel back to town, sell things, then fast-travel back to the last point I'd reached en route to my goal. Otherwise it's a long run back and forth just to empty my bags, which is kinda dull. I'll also use it to reach places that were a pain to find/reach the first time (Shearpoint, I'm looking at you).

Also also also, I can't double-cast Fire Rune and that makes me sad. I can't tell if the game just doesn't allow double-casting Rune spells or if double-casting it just makes the magicka cost increase to some obscene number, cause it always says I don't have enough magicka to cast that (Fire Rune cost: 82. My total magicka: 220. 82+82 < 220, so...).
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

The dudes that keep me from going back into any old cave are those underdwellers. They're like goblins, but if somehow goblins became like Captain America. They're tough but if can take them out they've got good gear.

Right now my Ranger has made it to Whiterun. I took a very circular route to get there. I wish my fury spell worked on giants. That would be fantastically chaotic.

Shjade

I just stopped in at Whiterun last time I logged out. Turning north from there to the town with the mage college next time I play.

Having already taken on an angry ghost-Nord with a big ice sword and nasty shouty powers, a fireball-chucking flying wraith, and a giant with his mammoth buddies, I have a hard time feeling intimidated by the concept of tough goblins.

Doubtless they're going to kill me the first time I find some.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on November 13, 2011, 02:04:48 PM
I just stopped in at Whiterun last time I logged out. Turning north from there to the town with the mage college next time I play.

Having already taken on an angry ghost-Nord with a big ice sword and nasty shouty powers, a fireball-chucking flying wraith, and a giant with his mammoth buddies, I have a hard time feeling intimidated by the concept of tough goblins.

Doubtless they're going to kill me the first time I find some.
Probably. I put a sneak arrow into one's spine and he hardly flinched. I almost ganked one with a dagger, but his esp kicked in. Goblin's be freaking tough.

Hemingway

I remember Tribunal ( Morrowind's expansion ) having some damn tough goblins, too. Though I suppose that was due to them being adjusted for the level you had when you first went to Mournhold. Still. Not to mention the little ice guys ( Rieklings, I think ), in Bloodmoon.

Inkidu

Anyone fight an ice wraith yet? They're kind of tough, but they're probably not as terrifying in some calm woods inasmuch as they are when you're fighting them in a blizzard! O_o'

Hemingway

The level of detail and the effort they put into this game is amazing. The songs the bards sing are ... awesome!

mannik

Quote from: Elenwe on November 13, 2011, 01:09:44 PM
Aw... I killed them already. I will have to find another nice place for the sneaking trick.

Elenwe is an ice sneaky mage for now, the first poor dragon didn't stand a chance!

Don't worry...plenty of places that fit the bill...specifically the Dwemer ruins south west of Shearpoint. The monsters in there are blind, so if they see you you're doing something wrong (mainly, moving around too much)

When you have a few sneak levels under your belt (like 30 or so) you are all but invisible when you are crouched in darkness...just don't move when they are looking toward you and you should be fine. At the moment I'm pretty much super assassin when there's any kind of shadows to hide in. At night I can sneak right up to something looking dead at me and stab it in the face with my soul stealing dagger (it has over a thousand charges on it ^.^).....I love my 85 sneak skill and 30x back stab damage.

Quote from: Inkidu on November 13, 2011, 02:32:54 PM
Anyone fight an ice wraith yet? They're kind of tough, but they're probably not as terrifying in some calm woods inasmuch as they are when you're fighting them in a blizzard! O_o'
I've fought three of them actually, and one of them was in a blizzard. The worst thing about them is they move fast and in unpredictable patterns...so they are really hard to hit with my fire bow...but when they get close I just fire shout them to death. Spriggans are what you gotta look out for. Their ranged attacks just sap all your life away within moments, and they have this nasty habit of regenerating and getting stronger if you can't kill them fast enough....but my Souldrinker does wonders when I stab them in the ass with it. (Haven't found a critter that I can't one hit with it....except dragons, but only because I can't actually sneak up and hit them with a dagger.)

In other news, I just got Azura's star....god that quest was a major pain in the ass. Had to bump the difficulty down because I got tired of being blown to hell within seconds of starting that last fight and really really wanted that infinite grand soul gem.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
actually, an infinite BLACK soul gem! Depending on who you choose to give it to at the end of the quest you get either the normal star of Azura, or the Black Star which can only capture human souls....but seriously, only holding the highest quality souls in the game....not really seeing the downside there.

Hemingway

Speaking of Azura ... anyone met any Daedra in the game? Those demon head-like icons on the map, are they Daedric ruins? I've been avoiding them because Daedra are not to be trifled with. I just hope they're actually in the game. I mean, I know some are - I've met atronachs, and those are technically Daedra ... but what about Dremora? Dark Seducers? Golden Saints? Winged Twilights?

And about those icons - I'm having trouble figuring out what some of them mean. Like the weird semi-circle with trees on it, the tower-like shape made up of triangles ...

mannik

Quote from: Hemingway on November 13, 2011, 04:28:45 PM
Speaking of Azura ... anyone met any Daedra in the game? Those demon head-like icons on the map, are they Daedric ruins? I've been avoiding them because Daedra are not to be trifled with. I just hope they're actually in the game. I mean, I know some are - I've met atronachs, and those are technically Daedra ... but what about Dremora? Dark Seducers? Golden Saints? Winged Twilights?

And about those icons - I'm having trouble figuring out what some of them mean. Like the weird semi-circle with trees on it, the tower-like shape made up of triangles ...

The demon looking heads on the map are dragon roosts...go there, fight a dragon and learn a new shout. And yes, the Daedra are in this game. At the end of Azura's quest you have to fight a bunch of Dremora who spam massively powerful fireball spells. I've also run into Sheograth. Like met him in person, drank tea with him...that was an interesting quest....I'm currently doing a quest for Clavicus Vile...

Seems like you get the Daedra quests from unexpected places in this one. Both Sheograth and Clavicus' were given by seemingly random NPCs. So far Azura's is the only one that required me journeying to a shrine to start. And even then I didn't have to give an offering like in Oblivion.

Anyone become a werewolf yet?

meikle

I've been playing on whatever the standard difficulty is, and I've decided to increase the difficulty.  I'm level 26, and nothing poses a meaningful challenge (except for that nord ghost guy who had a 2h sword that quartered my life with each hit!)
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Hemingway

I did find Boethia's shrine earlier, but I couldn't rememeber what Boethia was the Prince of, so I didn't investigate any closer.

mannik

Quote from: Hemingway on November 13, 2011, 04:49:16 PM
I did find Boethia's shrine earlier, but I couldn't rememeber what Boethia was the Prince of, so I didn't investigate any closer.
According to the wiki Boethia is the daedric prince of deceit, conspiracy, treason, assassination, plots of murder, and unlawful overthrow of authority....sounds like a charming fellow doesn't it?   

Hemingway

Yep, I looked it up, too.

Now, this is a BS bug I've run into. I have some ice shards stuck in me that won't go away no matter what I do. Waiting, resting, fast-traveling, reloading, exiting ... nothing does it.

Edit: I sorted the bug out. If you have arrows or ice shards stuck in you, getting hit with arrows or ice shards again will make them go away after a second.

Nadir

Is there a way to tame a caged wolf? *pokes at it*