News:

Main Menu

Pokemon!

Started by Dimir, January 05, 2015, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimir

I know this is an adult-themed site but I have seen plenty of adults that still play the Pokemon games after all these years. There's also the Japanese anime but I haven't watched it since the beginning of the Battle Frontier arc. I first played Pokemon Red when I was five and I'm almost done the RS remakes. I have plenty of favourite ranked pokemon including Metagross, Houndoom, Dragalge, Jigglypuff, Walrein, Bronzong and Starmie.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Inkidu

I'm currently playing a rom hack of Fire Red called Ultra Violet. Basically it's a 100%ers dream. It lets you capture all the pokemon without having to trade, and they added in the appropriate stones and things to get them all. You can still miss out on many, but they're all there, no friends required. XD
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dimir

Quote from: Inkidu on January 05, 2015, 04:03:32 PM
I'm currently playing a rom hack of Fire Red called Ultra Violet. Basically it's a 100%ers dream. It lets you capture all the pokemon without having to trade, and they added in the appropriate stones and things to get them all. You can still miss out on many, but they're all there, no friends required. XD

Looked it up and it sounds quite interesting. I must play it.

Also I must highly recommend Pokemon Zeta/Omicron. Two new regions, pretty much all available pokemon, decent storyline, etc.

Mathim

I never understood why versions like Crystal, Emerald and Platinum were not just that, cutting out the whole dependency on others angle. I mean, once you've capitalized on the first two, why not reward everyone with the ultimate, complete version two to three years later and make bank by actually EARNING it?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: Dimir on January 05, 2015, 04:13:03 PM
Looked it up and it sounds quite interesting. I must play it.

Also I must highly recommend Pokemon Zeta/Omicron. Two new regions, pretty much all available pokemon, decent storyline, etc.
What are they? I'm pretty much only interested in the first two generations. That's how I role. I just was getting too bored with the designs after G/S/C
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dimir

Quote from: Inkidu on January 05, 2015, 05:54:52 PM
What are they? I'm pretty much only interested in the first two generations. That's how I role. I just was getting too bored with the designs after G/S/C

All generations so far, so it's probably not going to interest you.

Inkidu

Quote from: Dimir on January 05, 2015, 06:05:24 PM
All generations so far, so it's probably not going to interest you.
Well I also have emulator limitations. I've never gotten a DS emulator to work, so I have to pretty much keep to GBA. :\

Dimir

Quote from: Inkidu on January 05, 2015, 06:19:38 PM
Well I also have emulator limitations. I've never gotten a DS emulator to work, so I have to pretty much keep to GBA. :\

It's a fan game made with Pokemon Essentials, not a ROM.

Inkidu

Quote from: Dimir on January 05, 2015, 06:24:24 PM
It's a fan game made with Pokemon Essentials, not a ROM.
I wonder if it'll get a C&D. :\

Of course, there are two versions, which implies trading. So how does that work.

Dimir

Quote from: Inkidu on January 05, 2015, 06:40:06 PM
I wonder if it'll get a C&D. :\

Of course, there are two versions, which implies trading. So how does that work.

I've never actually traded in the games, but I believe there's a feature that allows you to connect to different players on computer.

Inkidu

Quote from: Dimir on January 05, 2015, 06:42:57 PM
I've never actually traded in the games, but I believe there's a feature that allows you to connect to different players on computer.
What region(s) does it take place in?

Dimir

Inkidu

I'm definitely interested actually. If only because I do like a few of the XY pokemon.

SinXAzgard21

I'm playing Alpha Sapphire right now.  After my first play through I'm going to do a random team play through.  May post a thread for it and see what team E comes up with for me.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Mathim

Does anyone like/have every played the Pokemon Ranger games? I think they're a lot of fun, I enjoy the fact that it's somewhat puzzle-based, the battles are more complicated than just picking out one of four different possible attacks to use against one or two stationary opponents at a time, and the idea that it's your skill and effort being actively employed that makes it possible capture/befriend Pokemon instead of using a random will work/won't work Pokeball. I really hope they're going to make a fourth one on the 3DS soon. Each subsequent game has added more and more cool features and such that have improved on the original, so I would like them to continue this pattern if a fourth one is made for the newest handheld.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Dimir

Never played the Ranger series before but I should really check it out.

Mathim

Any and all of them are great, but try the original first, it'll get you used to how it works before they start adding new, more advanced stuff to it. The fun factor also increases with each one.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on January 09, 2015, 01:31:55 PM
Does anyone like/have every played the Pokemon Ranger games? I think they're a lot of fun, I enjoy the fact that it's somewhat puzzle-based, the battles are more complicated than just picking out one of four different possible attacks to use against one or two stationary opponents at a time, and the idea that it's your skill and effort being actively employed that makes it possible capture/befriend Pokemon instead of using a random will work/won't work Pokeball. I really hope they're going to make a fourth one on the 3DS soon. Each subsequent game has added more and more cool features and such that have improved on the original, so I would like them to continue this pattern if a fourth one is made for the newest handheld.

Well with how bad the reviews and sales were for the last mystery dungeon, I'd not expect to see another Ranger game anytime soon.

Mathim

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 09, 2015, 11:14:11 PM
Well with how bad the reviews and sales were for the last mystery dungeon, I'd not expect to see another Ranger game anytime soon.

Those are in no way anything like one another, though. All the Mystery Dungeons are pretty much exactly the same but with different Pokemon and dungeon layouts, but as far as I know, the rules all work the same way; you move x number of spaces on the field and your enemies (wild pokemon) get to move the same number of spaces and you engage in battle which has the same, if not an even more simplistic, format as the original games. It's sort of like a watered-down version of the normal games with little to no overworld in addition to the dungeons, removing the travel and exploring aspects, as well as other trainers, gyms, and the league. Don't lump in Ranger with them, that's a serious misrepresentation. Plus Ranger is gorgeously animated, where your character isn't a pixel-y sprite, their appearances are much better defined, as are motions and actions. I would have liked this latest incarnation (XY) to have upgraded the graphics to Ranger level now that they're on an upgraded version of the handheld, but I think that would make the game too large data-wise to fit their cartridges.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on January 10, 2015, 08:36:25 AM
Those are in no way anything like one another, though. All the Mystery Dungeons are pretty much exactly the same but with different Pokemon and dungeon layouts, but as far as I know, the rules all work the same way; you move x number of spaces on the field and your enemies (wild pokemon) get to move the same number of spaces and you engage in battle which has the same, if not an even more simplistic, format as the original games. It's sort of like a watered-down version of the normal games with little to no overworld in addition to the dungeons, removing the travel and exploring aspects, as well as other trainers, gyms, and the league. Don't lump in Ranger with them, that's a serious misrepresentation. Plus Ranger is gorgeously animated, where your character isn't a pixel-y sprite, their appearances are much better defined, as are motions and actions. I would have liked this latest incarnation (XY) to have upgraded the graphics to Ranger level now that they're on an upgraded version of the handheld, but I think that would make the game too large data-wise to fit their cartridges.

Doesn't matter if they are not the same, it is a spin off just like Mystery Dungeon with Pokemon's name labeled on it.  One did bad, ends the cycle for all.  Welcome to Nintendo.

Mathim

Well as far as economics go, the Rangers games are all still selling for way more than the Dungeon games at used stores, so hopefully that particular branch of the spin-offs will continue to grow. It's also got a few mini-games that the main games seem not to have enough of to break up the RPG monotony.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on January 10, 2015, 05:53:46 PM
Well as far as economics go, the Rangers games are all still selling for way more than the Dungeon games at used stores, so hopefully that particular branch of the spin-offs will continue to grow. It's also got a few mini-games that the main games seem not to have enough of to break up the RPG monotony.

If selling used then Nintendo isn't making money off them.

Mathim

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 10, 2015, 06:13:18 PM
If selling used then Nintendo isn't making money off them.

But it means they're still selling well, which means people like them, hence they'll spend the money on it if and when a new one comes out. It's a full circle type of thing.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on January 10, 2015, 08:08:30 PM
But it means they're still selling well, which means people like them, hence they'll spend the money on it if and when a new one comes out. It's a full circle type of thing.

No, because unless Nintendo makes the money off of it why make it?  That isn't how that works.  Companies give no fucks about used game sales.

Mathim

Well you can infer the popularity of the series by that and project how much revenue would be generated by continuing the series. The fact that they just don't sell new copies right now is, I would guess, the only reason they aren't continuing to make money off of them personally. They may not have as many sequels made as the Dungeon games but the reason for that is, I would guess, simplicity to produce as opposed to sales figures. Especially if, as pointed out, reviews for Mystery Dungeon games are as unfavorable as they say.