Orphaned Characters, looking for a group/GM

Started by Thorne, June 06, 2015, 01:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorne

Thorne's Home For Orphaned Characters.
   Won't you adopt an Orphaned Character today?

My character folder is bulging with characters I've invented for a game, gotten attached to and then ... Paff. No more game. Either enough players vanished that the game ended, or the GM vanished and the game ended.
So, here's my quandary. I have no games for these characters. I want to play these characters!

With that out of the way, here's what you - be you GM or player who's trying to help - need to know:
I'm a fairly reliable player, able to post daily if needed, although I prefer every other day, or so. RL does occasionally come up, and I don't always manage to say something, but I can usually be reached for a thorough sporking if it's necessary.
I don't do drama out of character, and while I am happy to discuss builds (especially for systems I'm not as familiar with), I generally set my characters up as people, and that means sometimes, I will choose builds that are not optimal.
I enjoy plotting, working out places where two characters might have some history, especially if it gives them a reason to be involved.
I'm not in this for smut. I don't mind if it comes up, and writing it can be amusing as hell, but it's not what I'm in this for.  ... some of my characters may have other ideas. Gods help me.

I tend to play people. They may have some odd shapes, they probably won't be human, but they will be people, with shapes and issues and their own unique set of characteristics. I don't generally run hard-core loners - largely because I generally aim for intelligent characters, and even the most anti-people character I play is going to be smart enough to know that some things can't be done by oneself.

I prefer system games, (usually Pathfinder) but if your pitch is good enough, I'll consider freeform - especially if you can promise me no god-modding, Mary Sues or OoC drama. None of those are my idea of fun.
So. On to the menager- ahm. Orphans.

Ylva Oakheart
Human Cleric (Erastil)
Tall enough to be elegant, Ylva's even-featured good looks draw many an eye - but her ability to leave chaos in her wake draws many more. She wears her strawberry blonde hair pulled into a loose braid, and rarely fails to have a smile for somebody.
Traveling doesn't come naturally to Ylva. If she had a choice, she'd still be mixing herbs and brewing alchemical tinctures in her home village. That, at least, she can usually do without something going horribly wrong.
Ylva is the clumsiest character I have /ever written/. This is the girl who could trip over air - and does. She's a good shot, and a decent enough healer, but no one wants her in melee range. I've gotten her into one or two games, but they've always fallen apart for some reason. :/

Dakiiri Eri'kaan
Elf ... Fighter? Ranger?
   Dark hair falls in oily strands across the face of the slender elf leaning bonelessly against the bar, watching the rest of the room through bleary, blood shot eyes. Beside her rests a great yew bow. Unbent, it is a foot again taller than its owner, and her empty hand rests near it as she lifts a heavy mug to her lips to drain it.
She sets the mug down with a thump and makes as if to get up and leave.
   "Hey! Pay your tab, elf-girl!" The bartender barked. She twitched, and swung around. For a moment, they stared at each other, then she sighed.
   "Yeh ... han' on a shec." she slurred as she scraped the last few coppers out of her belt pouch and tossed them on the bar. Despite her advanced state of inebriation, they landed squarely where she intended them to ... right in the ale pitcher. The innkeeper muttered something no doubt obscene, as she picked up her unstrung longbow and made her way to the door.

Daki's another one of those that I built, played for a little while, and then the game fell apart. I'm very sorry there isn't a variant on the 'drunken boxer' archetype for archers, because that sort of thing is what Dakiiri was built to do.
The reason I have her set as fighter or ranger is because she is well-suited for either class, with the only real difference being whether she needs to be an active tracker or not. That I intended her to not be a magic-user, and there really isn't a functional ranger archetype for what I wanted to do means she is probably going to be primarily a fighter. Mostly, she's a Forlorn-type elf who has a deep-seated hatred for slavers.

Rasila 'Raz' Silkwind
Aasimar Gunslinger (Musketmaster).
No one has ever mistaken Raz for a tiefling, but she's gotten some strange looks over the years, for her elf-like long ears and dainty cloven hooves. All she needs, her few friends have been known to joke, is antlers and an animal companion, and she'd make a fine druid. Considering the source, that may or may not have been a compliment. Raz prefers otherwise. She likes green spaces well enough, but her weapon of choice leads her to other paths, and she knows it. Family friends took her in when her parents died, and there are more than a few that find her detached - if not outright cold - for the mannerisms she's picked up from her dwarven parents.

.. I have two versions of Raz, the other one is an elf and has a slightly different background. Either way, they both carry a musket and keep a rather ... unusual outlook. For whatever they're supposed to be.

Eztli'eyal
Elf Fighter
Eztli'eyal stands about 5'10". He's frequently taken for human - he's got that build - but a good look at him tells a different tale. Those sharp features are handsome enough, broken nose and all, but his slanted grey eyes are hard, with little laughter in them. On the rare occasion he's caught out of his armor, he's actually leaner than he appears, with an assortment of minor scars striping his pale skin. He wears fairly heavy armor, plain, but well-made, and carries a long, elegantly curved blade.

Eztli'eyal is as fairly generic a character as I make. He's a different brand of jerk than Satriis; where 'Tris likes women regardless, Eztli tends to think they're flighty, faithless, fluffbrains ... as a mercenary, he does just about whatever has to be done to get by, but he has a bad opinion of ... well, really, just about anyone who hasn't demonstrated competence.
... I swear, I /do/ write men who aren't assholes. Just, y'know, not these two.

Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Thorne

So, in case anyone's thinking, 'oh, I want to run this thing, but no one ever wants to play THAT' I am going to list a few of the games I'm looking for and types of games I like to play, in the hopes that maybe I hit one someone's been waffling over.

I prefer system games: Pathfinder, D&D (2e, 3/3.5e). I used to play WW (Vampire, Werewolf) - I prefer the oWoD setting to the new, though. I have played Cortex (briefly). I didn't get into it much, but the system looked functional. I'll try almost anything, and I have the books for most things, including systems that I've never actually had a chance to look at closely (FATE, The Dark Eye - I have access to a /lot/ of stuff).
I have also played Shadowrun and a little bit of card-based Deadlands. I've played Star Wars (the D20 version), and BESM. Hell, I've run a game using BESM. Don't ask.
I have access to easily 32 different systems, and it might be closer to 40, counting all the stuff I've picked up from DTRPG. I might not have heard of the thing you have in the shelves, but .. I have a library. It's only a little frightening.

I like a game that has a little bit of everything - a little dungeon-crawling, some social combat/diplomacy stuff, psuedo-noir detective-ing (.. okay, I've been reading too much Dave Gross lately. Stop judging me. Radovan is awesome), with sprinkles of humor and people being people.
I wouldn't mind running in a high-level campaign that did not attempt to challenge high-level characters by pitting them against deities, either, or an evil campaign (or a campaign that allows evil characters) that does not degenerate into PVP within two pages of posting. Or, really, within any pages of posting.

APs that I would /love/ to play (since we're talking Pathfinder):
Legacy of Fire Actually, set something in an Arabian Nights inspired setting, I can get you at LEAST two players. I will be one of them.
Curse of the Crimson Throne  They've updated it, and I'm given to believe they might have fixed the hinky bits.
Wrath of the Righteous While I'm not wild about the Mythic Rules, and I suspect this AP to have similar built-in stupidity as Reign of Winter, it remains an interesting AP.
Iron Gods Sue me, Numeria is an interesting area. And an excuse to muck around with firearms? Please, sign me up.
And, because I'm sure someone will ask - APs that are off my list include Rise of the Runelords (I've run it), Shattered Star (am running it), Reign of Winter, Kingmaker and Second Darkness (played them, have no wish to repeat the experience). 

Settings I find interesting, and will be tempted by include:
Dragonlance: pre Age of Mortals; so far I have seen nothing very much interesting in Krynn in Canon AoM. :/
Eberron: Flying ships! Monsters that might or might not /actually/ be evil! Awesome! Gaslamp magic .. I can't even. Yes, please.
Forgotten Realms: With 90% less emo conflicted C/G drow and Mary-Sue demi-god NPCs, it's fun.
Battletech: Treat this like a larger scale Firefly; focus on the people, the culture shifts and differences between them, and let the big, stompy 'Mechs be a sort of side thing, and I'm interested. Hey, pull a Jumpship, stick a crew of random pulls from various places and backgrounds on it, and send them all over the place; that could be fun. Leaves space for pretty much everything.
World of Warcraft: Lose about 80% of the faction vs. faction bullshit, and I'm interested. Cross-faction RP is good, orcs and Draenei are good...
Golarion: Well .. yes.
Al Qadim: I believe I mentioned that someone running something interesting in this type of setting would score two players? Yah. Brace yourself for incoming Sha'ir, or so.

Settings without systems? Yah, a few. I may date myself here..
Pirates of Dark Water: Swords, sorcery and shenanigans on the seas of Mer. Holy /shit/ did I love that setting. It was beautiful and different.
Hyboria: Uh.. well. Yes. Actually, I enjoy Howard's Conan the Barbarian. The setting is fun, too, whatever variant you're playing with; the original books, the Savage Sword comics, the movies ... the ORIGINAL movie! or even the admittedly watered-down cartoon (yes, I /still/ like it).

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Muse

Oh, Thorne!   you play second edition D&D!?! 

I love you forever!  Will you game with me?  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Thorne

Let's add a few more orphans to the pile. I did used to play White Wolf, although it's been a good long while. These three are, respectively, a Hunter, a Vampire and a Werewolf. I generally prefer the Bastet to the Garou, but when you get down to it, I'll play either, if I could find a game for any of them.

Melinda 'Lindi' Karthak
Concept: Hunter's Prodigal Daughter

Lindi isn't a big girl. She's short, brawny and capable of filling a room, if she cares to. Most of the time, she doesn't care to.
She prefers jeans and a tank top under a loose jacket, with a pair of heavy boots no doubt purchased from a military surplus shop. She wears her reddish hair cropped short and tied into a neat ponytail at the back.

Lindi's not a hunter out of choice. Her father's disappearance coupled with his journal showing up in the mail, prompted her to start. What little she's turned up has made her question her initial belief that there's nothing 'weird' in the world. That didn't take much, for a woman home from tour, who's seen a large amount of 'weird' already.

(oWoD)
Felicia
Concept: Second-story expert under cover.

Felicia is a slender, young-looking woman with vivid green eyes and a lean, wiry build. She tends to jeans and snug tops, with a light pack. She has a charming smile, but there is something a little too perfect about both her body and her features.

There's more than meets the eye, with Felicia - not only is she a vampire, and a merciless killer - she's an expert thief, and she's hiding from the one who made her, and his ilk.

What went before...

I guess every story has to start somewhere. Mine doesn't really start until about six months before I died. My name is Felicia. When I lived, I was nothing special. I was one of those fat little psuedo-pagan goth wanna-bes that waved around a lot of bullshit to make themselves feel better. Now ... well. Now I really am what I pretended to be back then. And it all started with the warehouse. Belladonna (Betty, to everyone but us) wanted to have this ... well, she said seance, but we all knew it was an excuse to get drunk and high and pretend we were better than the pretty people.

She found the place. I never knew how, but she found it. I was the one who got us in - I was good at that kind of thing. We set up in one of the upstairs rooms, covering the walls in cheap black fabric, making sure that no one would see the candlelight when the sun went down. The signs were there, and a couple of the others were nervous, but no one wanted to admit it. So we had the candles, and the wine and the mirrors and the crystals, and it was all very silly. When the sun went down, the others broke into little groups, and I slipped away to explore. I liked exploring buildings, homes ... it was harmless, I thought. I never took anything, back then. Just looked.

I found
him behind a closed door. I remember wondering who would decorate a room in a derelict warehouse - had I walked into a set for a movie? Or ... something more salacious? I remember admiring the hangings - silk velvet the colour of blood - looking at the statue in the corner, so lifelike I wondered that it didn't step down from the pedestal, even testing the plush mattress. Then... then the hands. Like ice .. or steel. I remember screaming, I remember struggling, then ... then I turned around and my heart just ... stopped for a second.

A long time before that, I had seen a painting. The artist painted the
Angel of Death - a creature beautiful beyond mortal ken. That's what he looked like. Beautiful. Terrifying. And he had me again before I could even consider screaming. He asked me how I had got in, where I had come from. Then ... well. He kept me alive. He kept some of the others alive too, but I only found out about that later. When he finally let me out of his sanctum I was bound to him and my only thought was his pleasure...

Felicia set the pen down and sat back, the corner of her mouth quirked. A year was a long time - the bond had broken, for the most part. The old pangs still pulled, when she thought about them. She picked up the sheets and dropped them in the shredder as she walked past. "Nice place you have here, by the way." She informed the previous owner, who stared at her with wide eyes. "Cozy. Kind of a shame you can't really appreciate that. Or me..." She snickered. "Man, you really are an idiot; you remind me of someone. Old cohort of mine - a real animal. His name was Lance, and the sonuvabitch made my life a living hell until someone ripped his head off." Felicia pulled a long knife from a sheath on her back and tested the edge on a fingertip.

"I got friends."

"I bet you do." Felicia chuckled. "But they can't help you. And even if they could ..." She grinned at him. "It wouldn't do you any good. Besides... this will probably be the best twenty minutes of your life, up until now ... aren't you curious?"

"Awh, come on! I .. I can hook you up real good. Money. Drugs. Whatever you want."

Felicia grinned. "Money, hm? I could use some of that; traveling's expensive. 'Course, I already cleared out your safe." She crouched down again. "Some nice things in there, by the way. But money's not what I want from you." She traced the blade down his arm, watching a red trail well up. The man began to sob, and she leaned in to lick his arm. "Don't worry; it won't hurt."

Felicia straightened, licking blood from her lips. A few minutes to retrieve any valuables, strip off her meal and dump him in the tub to bleed out the rest of the way. She spent the day somewhere else, but after a mark like that one, she'd have enough to get to the next city, and ... maybe, just maybe, she could disappear.

Aneva Stillwater
Concept: Mystic Ward (Utkena Ahroun)

Aneva Stillwater is a tall, muscular woman, dusky of skin and black of hair and eyes. She generally moves around in jeans and a plain t-shirt, under a dark brown leather jacket. She wears a big, broad-bladed knife sheathed under her jacket, and generally has a sense about her that poking her would have roughly the same good results as poking a mama bear with a stick while holding her squawling cub.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Blinkin

Don't you hate it when you put a lot of effort into creating a person to play, get into a game and suddenly, the game is gone? Here's this character that you're really attached to and want to play... so you offer it in another game... and the GM says that it's off-putting because you've already offered the character someplace else.... it's lazy, the GM says.

Anyway, like you, I have a number of characters laying about that I would love to play, but can't.

Good luck and I hope one of them gets adopted. :)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Thorne

Lazy my butt. It's /efficient/.

Added some systems I've played, and some more settings I'm interested in, for completeness and stuff.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Thorne

*yanks thread out of mothballs*
. .. . ... Updated the orphan list, adjusted the systems/settings lists. .. the usual.

I feel like I should note that a character who actually has developed a background is either a character I had a big muse-splosion over, or has actually been played and developed background in play.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

wander

Hey Thorne, alot of your characters would be welcome additions to my Wander Worlds setting for the Dungeon World system.

Don't worry if you don't know how to play Dungeon World, it's a simple system and I have the free playkit spoiler-linked in the 1st post of my Wander Worlds thread. :)

Essentially the basic roll is 2d6, 10+ succeeds, 7-9 is a success but something happens and 6 or less is a fail, but gain 1xp for learning from your mistake. Stats modify this roll and certain classes can do things other's can't or gain buffs for rolls, etc.

D&D lite, basically. :)

I'm looking for solo games that I can run for a single player, if I've taken your interest.

Thorne

*takes shock-device to thread*

... Still lookin', on and off.
Don't really have anything new to add; but some updating has happened.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Callie Del Noire

Got a few myself Thorne, revisited a few old threads and wish the games had lasted longer..
Twins, the Assassins guild game...

Blinkin

I'll goahead and say... ditto... ;) I still have over a dozen characters that I would love to play, if I get a chance I'll put some up later.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Thorne

It's pretty frustrating. I have one moving right now, and it's not an E game. One. :/
I are a sad Thorne as a result.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Matthias von Rosenritter

I am actually looking to GM a Pathfinder PBP game on Elliquiy, so you may be in luck! I can give you a few ideas on what I may be game for running based on your list. I have a lot of ideas for campaigns and only one group to run them for in face-to-face games, so there are plenty of concepts to explore here.

APs: Out of your listed APs, Legacy of Fire and Curse of the Crimson Throne can both prove interesting. Legacy of Fire is more conducive towards high fantasy games of epic proportions, while Curse of the Crimson Throne has a darker, grittier atmosphere where seedy stuff happens, cruel decadence is the order of the day, and heroes are even shorter in supply than normal.

Eberron: Eberron has plenty of ideas that could be utilized: Xendrik exploration, Batman-esque gestalt Vigilante shenanigans in Sharn, Draconic Prophecy stuff, a game set in Sarlona, a gritty Thrane game with the Silver Inquisition, some 'Blood and Wine'-esque intrigue and adventuring in Aundair, and more. And I do have Pathfinder conversions for Eberron races and some other options, so people could play Shifters, Changelings, Kalashtar, or even unique racial subtypes such as the Aerenal Elves.

WoW: I actually had an idea since events near the end of Legion infer that the timeline is beginning to fracture and Hearthstone has been producing some out there expansions. The basic idea for the setting would be an alternate timeline of WoW that incorporates some of the Hearthstone expansions. For example, Gadgetzan would be a massive, neutral city that is pretty much run by three gangs (the Grimy Goons, the Jade Lotus, and the Kabal) filled with lots of 'normal' races and more exotic things like murlocs and quillboars. Most of the races of Azeroth would be playable and class flavor restrictions would be relaxed from the base game, so if you wanted to play something like an orc paladin or a tauren rogue (SO GOOD YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THEM!), you would be welcome to.

Al'Qadim: I used to be very enamored with the Al'Qadim setting and, while I have not played a game in the setting for many years, the idea is one that has a certain level of appeal.

I also have an idea for a Fire Emblem-esque kingdom building campaign rife with opportunity for character development, deep romance, epic dungeoneering, and some complex intrigue. The game might take place in either my custom setting or in the 7th Sea setting, which is basically fantasy Europe with some pretty clear analogues. It would still be Pathfinder, of course, no matter the setting.
Time is an endless, tortured circle; alpha and omega indistinguishable from one another in the empyrean flow.

TerribleTira

Some of the characters you have are general enough that I think you'd be able to try and fit them in this RP I'm trying to get off the ground.

Take a look, and lemme know if you're interested

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=282395.0