News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Creepy Awesome

Started by Vekseid, March 18, 2008, 01:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

The Great Triangle

For some reason, that thing scares me.  I don't think it knows why it isn't helping the turtle. 
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Vekseid

The Great Triangle

Somehow, that pokes a phobia center in an even deeper part of my brain. 

Oh to fear the things that normal people fear...
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Elvi

Awwwww....what were they doing to those poor things?
Making then slide around on ice, mow their way through deep snow and mud....the humanity of it all....*sniffs*

Seriously, I am very impressed....the pack dog only lost it's balance once!
Though I'm afraid that my heart goes out to that poor little one, rough terraine yes, caking it in mud and then attempting to drown it.....NO!...
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

strangely made

Those things are great, Big Dog is a bit noisy but apart from that just amazing robotics.

The robot Snake was even better.

Elvi

I watched these again, with Strangely and it struck me as to why I was having the reaction I was.
These things move and behave so much like animals, that it is difficult not to 'humanise' them.
I actually felt sorry for the little one, when it had to crawl through the mud and got lost in the water.
I actually thought the guy, who 'bumped' the bigdog on the ice, was being unfair.

It's a strange reaction, I wonder if anyone else had it too, after all we don't feel sorry for our washing machines, but would we feel guilty having a bigdog being our beast of burden?

Spookie Monster

O.K., I just read

Quote from: Elvi on March 18, 2008, 09:29:17 AMI watched these again, with Strangely and it struck me as to why I was having the reaction I was.

as

I watched these again, with Strangely and it struck me as to why I was having the erection I was.

I'm starting to spend too much time here at Elliquiy, I think. :o

Oh, but the robots are interesting!

I mean, not that interesting...

Really, it's not like I'm getting super turned on or anything...

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Vekseid

Quote from: Elvi on March 18, 2008, 09:29:17 AM
I watched these again, with Strangely and it struck me as to why I was having the reaction I was.
These things move and behave so much like animals, that it is difficult not to 'humanise' them.
I actually felt sorry for the little one, when it had to crawl through the mud and got lost in the water.
I actually thought the guy, who 'bumped' the bigdog on the ice, was being unfair.

It's a strange reaction, I wonder if anyone else had it too, after all we don't feel sorry for our washing machines, but would we feel guilty having a bigdog being our beast of burden?

There was a story (I forget where) about a commander overviewing a test of a mine-finding robot, calling it off after all but one of it's legs had been blown off, feeling it was too inhuman to continue the test, watching it try to scrape along on one leg.

Caeli

... Those last twenty-five seconds when it was kind of... running... then hopping... was really creepy. -_____-;...
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Elvi

Quote from: Vekseid on March 18, 2008, 10:20:37 PM
There was a story (I forget where) about a commander overviewing a test of a mine-finding robot, calling it off after all but one of it's legs had been blown off, feeling it was too inhuman to continue the test, watching it try to scrape along on one leg.

And I can see why....

It's funny, I am not a, 'awwwww...look at that poor little bunny, I can't kill that....', sort of person, but I still had that gut reaction.
It does make me wonder how, when the time comes, (and it will), how society actually will view mechanoids.

MagicalPen

I've read that humans are totally repulsed  by things that look human that really are not. For instance, I heard the CGI in Beowulf was amazing, (or in graphically generated movies in general). The technicians have the technology to make the character 100% life like but do not, most noticeably the eyes remain un-human, because Humans would be completely repulsed by something that looked identical to them.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Elvi

Then why, are 'we' attracted to any animal that has eyes similar to us?
(ie: forward facing, as in the great apes, gorrillas etc.)

Though, I wasn't actually refering to having 'replicants', I was refering to mechanical devices such as those in these clips, who are far more 'animal/insect' in their movememnts and build.

Apple of Eris

Oooh... that was so creepy. I kept thiking of having one of those things chasing after you, relentless in pursuit of its prey, with all kinds of robotic arms to use on a poor captive... *coughs* Uh.... anyway... uhm... very cool, but also creepy. I can't wait till we get some AI stuff and we can have the robot revolution for real! Just so you know, I'm totally siding with the 'bots!
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Elvi

What do you find creepy about then Apple?
Both Caeli and Triangle have also echoed that sentiment and I honestly can't see what it is that is causing that reaction.

strangely made

When I first saw Big Dog I thought of one use immediately, then I realised that the buzzing would be bad news.

No way would it be any good for carrying loads when escaping the shambling hordes of Undead, they would be able to home in on the sound from miles away.

HairyHeretic

Sure it would. Its a decoy. Set it off in one direction and you go another.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

strangely made

I could go into the whole hording instinct of Ghouls but that would derail the thread even further and you'd all think I was weird.

(I could explain in PM though :) )

HairyHeretic

I have a friend who has made serious plans for surviving a zombie apocalypse  :D

Weird is entirely relative.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elvi

*coughs*

And you think Strangely hasn't?

strangely made

What a complete oddball *looks around nervous* wouldn't catch me doing that ...no way...must be a freak ...