Looking to get into a 3.5 Eberron game [UN]

Started by Kunoichi, November 11, 2009, 12:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

Well, as the title says, I'm hoping that I might be able to find some people interested in running and playing in a D&D 3.5 edition Eberron game.  I would run the game myself, but unfortunately I don't have either a Dungeon Master's Guide or a Monster Manual.  I pretty much have to rely on other people for my gaming needs. >>;

As for Eberron...  Well, it's a setting I really love, and yet I only rarely get to play games set in it.  Valenar Elves, Talenta Halflings, Gatekeeper Druids, Kalashtar... it's a world with a lot of cool concepts and ideas, and I've really been wanting to play in it lately.  I'm open to any sort of storyline and would be happy to start at any level, but I do have a few ideas of my own if anyone's at a loss for a plot.

There's the typical Sharn inquisitives game, of course.  Murder, mystery, dealing with the city's criminal element and maybe going down into the Cogs, the impoverished underbelly of the City of Towers.

There are plenty of possibilities in a Xen'drik game, of course.  Exploring ancient ruins, trekking through dangerous jungles, trying to beat rival groups like the Emerald Claw to valuable and powerful artifacts... or even just getting involved in the politics of Stormreach.

One thing that could be fun is a game set in the lizardfolk-infested jungles of Q'barra.  Helping out the Cyran refugees who have come to build a new nation for themselves, dealing with the Riedran immigrants that the Inspired have so generously sent to aid the Cyran people, exploring the remains of an ancient demonic city...

And there are plenty of other places rife with potential plots, too.  Druid enclaves in the Eldeen Reaches, Dhakaani ruins in Darguun, pirates in the Lhazaar Principalities, the Demon Wastes, Droaam, the Shadow Marches...  The world of Eberron is a wonderful campaign setting, so hopefully there's someone out there who's as interested in running a game set in it as I am in playing in one. ^^

The Great Triangle

I might be willing to run an Eberron game focusing on a group of recent graduates from the Rekkenmark Academy, their veteran soldier bodyguards, plus any random tagalongs. 

I'd use the E6 rules variant, where the maximum level is 6, and characters progress beyond that by acquiring feats which slightly increase their prowess.  The main reason for this is that I really dislike the "grind for xp" playstyle of D&D, if you don't have the next few years free to play out the game.  It also forces players to use more story based solutions to their problems, rather than relying on their power.

(as a side note, the last game I tried to run using this rules system ended in disaster because the PCs were too powerful and completely destroyed the game theme I wanted to run with, which was survival against the elements.)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

GreenHavok

I am not really familiar with the Ebberon setting, but i am interested in some hack and slash kind of fun. So count me in

SirHakado

I\'d be interested in playing this, been a while since I\'ve played a good DnD Game.

... I really need to read up on my Ebberon though, but that\'s no problem.

Not to keen on the E6 varient though.
I mean, that really hoses the magic classes, as well as fighting classes with less then full BAB.

PhantomPistoleer

This sounds lovely.

Please consider me when you get to developing the game!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

The Great Triangle

I'm going to be hacking in a magic system which gives the spellcasting classes the power to cast 4th-9th level spells.  (although you have to go through a lot of effort to do so, such as going to the top of a mountain and arranging 13 virgins in a circle so that they can sing a song under the new moon which breaks any enchantment.)

I'll go ahead and post my E6 Variant rules, starting with the demographics manifesto.

In the World of Eberron, one in a thousand people are members of the PC classes.  For every character of 6th level, there are 60,000 mundane individuals.  Given that 6th level heroes tend to cluster in larger cities, this means that most people will never even see someone of this level.  (in fact, many will never see a member of the PC classes) but they will certainly hear of them.

On the entire continent of Khorvaire, with it's 15 million people, there are about 250 true level 6 heroes among the common races, out of 15,000 members of the PC classes.  NPC classes speak for 50,000 additional level 6 characters, 35,000 of which are 6th level commoners.  What is a 6th level commoner?  A 6th level commoner is a pillar of the community, someone who can create a masterwork, run a business like a master, and quite often knows more than many wizards.  7,000 of the level 6 NPCs are warriors, quite often generals and members of special forces units at this level.  Such people are often equipped with magical weapons and armor, and their exploits are spoken of in song.

Another 5,000 of the elite NPCs are experts, the absolute greatest craftspeople, scholars, and musicians in the world.  These people are extremely well known national treasures, doubtless quite famous, at least in their home region.  Khorvaire has about 1,500 level 6 magewrights, who do the practical work of creating many of the magical wonders seen across the continent.  The contributions of magewrights are valued everywhere, even if their works pale in comparison to that of artificers.  Across the continent, there are 750 6th level aristocrats, many of which are in line to take control of an entire nation.  They are master negotiators, some of the wealthiest and best educated in the world.  Finally, about 750 6th level adepts perform the most powerful magic most people will ever see, shocking and amazing with their incredible, world shaking might.

Perhaps a tenth of 6th level members of the NPC classes might have one or two levels in a PC class.  This is extremely remarkable, however, and something that will truly define a person.  Monstrous humanoids of various sorts have a natural advantage in toughness and power, and about 30,000 equivelent to a level 6 character live on the continent.

Merely being a level two character is quite special.  Two thirds of the population never acheives this level of ability, although in many cases it simply represents an upwelling of talent.  Level three is where a person defines themself.  A level three individual now has another feat, and is simply noticably stronger than nearly anyone else.  Level four individuals are frighteningly remarkable, the kind of master that an average person may never forget meeting.  The deeds of a level five character may very well need to be recorded in the history books somewhere.  Such people are one in a hundred, and live remarkable lives.

As sixth level PCs, your characters are among the strongest people in the world, and likely have an amazing reputation.  Acheiving sixth level can take a lifetime, or it can be foisted on a character in a flurry of adventuring experience.  The only common thing between 6th level characters is their undisputable status as heroes.

This game uses the E6 rule, where character have a level cap of 6, and then gain feats for each 5,000xp gained afterwards.  Characters for this game will start with 26,000 xp, meaning that they are 6th level characters with one additional feat.  Abilities are to be generated using 42 point buy, and races of up to LA +5 may be selected in exchange for using a lower point buy.  (instead of the level adjustment.  Racial hit dice count against your PC class levels, but monster classes from Savage Species and Libris Mortis may be used.)  A base stat of 19 may be purchased for 20 ability points, and a base stat of 20 may be purchase for 24 ability points.

LA +1: 35 point buy
LA +2: 28 point buy
LA +3: 20 point buy
LA +4: 10 point buy
LA +5:  0 point buy

Characters receive 1/2 maximum hit points on each hit die roll, save for the 1st level hit die roll, on which they receive the maximum possible as normal.  Characters receive a starting wealth of 15,000 gp.   This wealth may be increased by trading starting xp for wealth at a 1:3 ratio, meaning each sacrificed experience point grants 3 gp.  A character wishing to start with additional experience may sacrifice starting gold for xp.  A character may also take NPC classes instead of PC classes, in exchange for 2,500 gp or xp for each NPC class level taken.  NPC class xp bonuses may not be traded for xp. The spellcraft skill is considered a class skill for all classes, and used to cast ritual magic.

Characters start each day with two action points, and gain an additional one at the end of each encounter.  The action point total resets to 0 when the character rests.  Most feats and abilities that increase the number of action points a character has give the character one additional action point per day, and an additional action point after every 4th encounter.

Material may be selected from any of the following books, but all non core material must note its source, with page number reference:

All three core rulebooks

Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Warrior
Complete Divine
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Adventurer
Complete Mage

Eberron Campaign Setting
Magic of Eberron
Faiths of Eberron
Dragons of Eberron
Sharn: City of Towers
Five Nations
Explorer's Handbook
Secrets of Xen'drik

Spell Compendium
Dragon Magic
Tome of Magic
Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords

Psionics Handbook
Complete Psionic

Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness

Frostburn
Stormwrack
Cityscape
Dungeonscape

Player's Handbook 2
Magic Item Compendium
Savage Species
Heroes of Battle
Book of Aberrations

Book of Erotic Fantasy
Netbook of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Portable Hole Full of Beer

In addition to the material listed above, players may also select from the following feats:

Ability Training (General)
Benefit: Choose one Ability; You gain a +2 bonus whenever you are making an Ability Check with that ability. This bonus does count when making a skill check using that ability, but not for any other use of that ability, such as spells per day, or hit points per level.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat it applies to another ability.

Ability Advancement (General)
Prerequisite: Ability Training in the same ability.
Benefit: Choose one Ability. You gain a permanent +2 bonus to that ability.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat it applies to another ability.

Capstone Training (General)
Prerequisite: 6th level
Benefit: Choose one class feature you would gain if your level in a given class were two higher.  You gain that class feature, and qualify as a member of that class two levels higher than your current level for the purposes of qualifying for feats.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat it applies to another class feature.  You may select a class feature from a prestige class, including one you have gained a class feature from via prestiege training.

Class Training (General)
Benefit: Choose one of your class features that improves as you increase in level.  That class feature improves as if you had gained levels neccesary to improve it, for example increased sneak attack damage, bonus feats, or acquiring improved evasion.  Iterative class features which increase every level are considered to improve as if you gained two levels.  This feat cannot enhance spellcasting in any way, save for spell like abilities gained as class features.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat it applies to another class feature.  Class features gained through capstone training and prestiege training may be chosen for this feat.

Expanded Spell Knowledge [General]
Benefit: You learn 1 or more new spells known, with spell levels totalling to half of your caster level (round down, and treat a new 0th-level slot as 1/2). Thus, a sixth level Sorcerer could gain one 3rd level spell known, one 1st and one 2nd level spell, three 1st level spells, or 6 0th-level spells. This feat cannot provide spells known of a level higher than you can already cast.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times; each time you take it it provides
more slots.

Expanded Caster Stamina [General]
Prerequisite: Character Level 6th
Benefit: You gain 1 or more new spell slots, with spell levels totalling to half
of your caster level. Treat 0th level spells as 1⁄2. Thus, a sixth level Wizard could gain one 3rd level slot, one 1st and one 2nd level slot, three 1st level slots, or 6 0th-level slots. This feat cannot provide spell slots higher than you can already cast.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times; each time you take it it provides
more slots.

Metamagic Mastery (Metamagic)
Prerequisite: Metamagic feats (see below), Caster Level 6
Benefit: When you take this feat, select a metamagic feat.  You must have a number of Metamagic Mastery feats equal to one less than the level increase of your chosen metamagic, to apply this feat to a metamagic feat. For example, Empower Spell, which boosts the level of a spell by 2, has a prerequisite of 1 Metamagic Mastery feat. Split Ray, which has an increase of 1, would have no prerequisites. As a swift action once per day, you may apply this metamagic feat to a spell you cast with no adjustment to the level of the spell cast, or increase in casting time; for a spontaneous spellcaster.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times, its effects stack. 

Prestige Training (General)
Benefit: Choose a prestige class you could qualify for by 9th level.  All special requirements for the class must already be met.  You gain a class feature that presige class gets at 1st level.  For the purposes of the capstone training and the ultimate mastery feats, you are considered to be level 1 in the selected prestige class.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat it applies to another class feature.  You may only take this feat if you could qualify for the prestige classes you have abilities from simultaneously.

Ritual Knowledge (General)
Benefit: Your gain permanent knowledge of a number of levels of rituals equal to your level + your intellegence modifier.  Permenantly known rituals may be cast without need for a ritual schema. 
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects stack, though their effects do not increase retroactively if your intelligence or level increases.

Skill Savant (General)
Prerequisite: Skill focus in selected skill
Benefit: You gain a +2 untyped bonus to the skill you qualify for use with this feat.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects can be stacked a number of times equal to the ability modifier of the relevant ability for the skill.  The feat can also be taken and applied to different skills.

Ultimate Mastery [General]
Prerequisite: Capstone Training
Benefit: Choose one class feature you would gain if your level in a given class were up to four levels higher.  You gain that class feature.  You may select a class granted by a prestige class you have gained a feature from via prestige training.

Wondrous Rings (General)
Prerequisites: 6th level, Craft Wondrous Item
Benefit: You treat rings as wondrous items for the purpose of meeting item creation prerequisites. You must still meet caster level requirements for any ring you create.

Retraining:

Instead of gaining a new feat when a character's experience total is high enough, the character may choose to "retrain" on of his or her previous levels into a level of another class.  This may be done with levels in monster hit dice, as well as with normal classes.  The highest hit die and skill points between the two classes are used, while all other class features change to that of the new class.  The original class assignment should be noted on the character sheet.  The character may not reassign spent skill points, but may assign new skill points gained by switching to a class with a higher number of skill points freely as a typical multiclass character.

A character may switch levels between retrained classes by spending 1,000 xp and spending a day practicing and excercising to adopt different skills.  The highest level of a class is always retrained first, and a character may not use feats or spells he no longer qualifies for.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Ritual Spellcasting Rules:

Ritual Magic, commonly known as the Art of Thamuturgy, is the nitty gritty art of working magic to one's will.  All members of the common races have an affinity for ritual magic, but only a portion put in the effort to understand these magical principles.  Thamuturgy is fairly unique to the common races, and a significant reason for their dominance in Khorvaire.  Goblinoids, most Aberrations, Monstrous Humanoids, Giants, and Elementals are all incapable of ritual magic, though half orcs and shifters seem to manage, with some difficulty.  Of all the races of Khorvaire, Dragons seem to be the only ones who demonstrate an affinity for ritual magic, a fact particularly disturbing to dragons, and used as evidence for members of the common races wishing to claim their races are favored by the Gods. 

Outsiders often have great knowledge of ritual magic, but demonstrate little capability to use it.  Sages speculate whether they are incapable and study thamuturgy in honor of the gods, or are simply hiding their power from the common races.

All magic spells and psionic powers can be applied via the process of ritual magic.  A well trained individual can cast many spells ritually, even with minimal normative spellcasting talent.

Casting any ritual spell requires a ritual schema.  Ritual schemas most commonly take the form of scrolls, or carefully engraved dragonshards, and may be manufactured for half the market value of a scroll of the equivalent spell.  Schemas may only be used to perform a ritual, and even someone who knows the equivalent spell cannot copy a scroll from a schema.  Once used, the ritual schema crumbles into dust.

Anybody with access to proper sources of arcane information can create a ritual schema by making a Knowledge check with a difficulty equal to 10 less than the spellcasting DC of the ritual spell.  This process takes 24 hours, or 6 hours for someone with the scribe scroll feat.  Item creation feats can also reduce the time and cost involved.  The time needed to scribe a schema need not be spent all at once, but no more than a week must pass between the start and finish of creating the ritual schema.

Ritual Magic is divided into five major categories.  Gutter Magic, Mortal Magic, Giant Magic, Dragon Magic, and Divine Magic.  The categories are so named after the beings that can draw upon them. 

Gutter Magic:
Spell Level 0-1

Legality: Legal to use unlicensed anywhere.

Resources to Research: A decent sized book collection will do.  Most nobles keep such a collection around, and any self respecting magician has the necessary books to do gutter magic research around.

Cost of a Library: 1,000 gp

Mortal Circle Magic:
Spell Level 2-3

Legality: Requires a licence costing 500gp to use in urban areas, violations typically carry a fee of 250gp x spell level.

Resources to Research: A well stocked library is needed, but still within the reach of a private individual.  Most cities with a population over 5,000 have the necessary library, and the nation of Aundair has a sufficient library in all of its settlements with a population of over 1,000.

Cost of a Library: 25,000 gp

Giant Circle Magic:
Spell Level 4-6

Legality: Requires a license costing 3,000 gp to cast spells in rural areas, and a special permit costing 1,000 gp to cast a spell in inhabited areas.  Most permits are issued for one spell on a case by case basis, or rarely for casting a single spell repeatedly.  Violations carry a fee of 5,000 gp x spell level, and irresponsible giant circle magicians can be imprisoned in a sanitarium for the rest of their natural lives.

Resources to Research: The resources of a major university are needed to cast magic of this magnitude.  Most cities with a population of over 100,000 have such a university.  An outsider with hit dice of at least twice the level of the spell and an intelligence of 12 or higher can also impart knowledge of how to cast giant circle magic.  Ruins in Xen'drik often contain inscriptions that can be used to research rituals to cast giant circle spells.

Cost of a Library: 500,000 gp

Dragon Circle Magic:
Spell Level 7-8

Legality: Casting dragon circle magic is illegal in urban areas, and requires a special license costing 15,000 gp to cast in rural areas.  A spellcaster casting dragon circle magic within national territory must still purchase a permit costing 2,500 gp for each casting, to insure against possible damages.  Violations are a capital offense.

Resources to Research: Dragon circle magic is beyond the ken of most mortals.  Only two places in Khorvaire might be able to scribe Dragon Circle Magic.  The Library of Korranburg, and the Cloudpeak Academy.  The dragons of Argonessen have access to a great deal of Dragon circle magic, and it can also be explained by outsiders of 14 HD or higher with an intelligence of 18 or greater.

Cost of a Library: 4 million gp

God Circle Magic:
Spell Level 9+

Legality: Strictly illegal everywhere without special order of the local ruler.  Violations are a capital offense that could lead to being declared an international enemy of the peace.

Resources to Research: God circle magic can only be learned by the most difficult and desperate of means.  The only place on Khorvaire where it could possibly be learned is in the direct presence of the Silver Flame.  Outside of Khorvaire, it may be feasible to learn God Circle magic in a library, but getting access is a trial in itself.  Beings of 20 HD, such as Solar Angels, Fiend Lords, the Daelkyr, and Dieties themselves can teach God Circle Magic.

Cost of a Library: priceless

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Casting a ritual spell requires a successful knowledge check to plan the ritual, followed by a number of successful spellcraft checks to successfully perform the ritual. 

The total number of successful rolls needed to complete the ritual is equal to the spell level of the ritual plus 1.  Each roll in a ritual is seperated by 10 minutes.  If the ritual spellcaster fails more spellcasting rolls than he succeeds, the ritual fails without result.  If two checks in a ritual fail in a row, the ritual fails catastrophically, resulting in bad effects proportionate in power to the spell being cast.  A character can take 10 during a ritual, except when casting spells of 7th level and higher.

The knowledge check to begin a ritual is determined by the type of spell being cast.

Knowledge(Arcana): Sorcerer/Wizard spells of the Abjuration, Evocation, Illusion, Transmutation, and Universal schools

Knowledge(Architecture and Enineering): Artificer Invocations

Knowledge(History): Bard Spells

Knowledge(Local): Assassain Spells

Knowledge(Nature): Druid Spells

Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty): Paladin and Blackguard spells

Knowledge(The Planes): Sorcerer/Wizard spells of the Conjuration and Divination Schools

Knowledge(Psionics): Psionic Powers

Knowledge(Religion): Cleric Spells and Sorcerer/Wizard spells of the Necromacy school

The base DC of casting a ritual spell is 20 for a 0th level spell, +5 for each additional spell level.  Spellcasting DCs can be affected by the following means; of special note, backlash is a mystical cost of the spell that occurs regardless of its success or failure:

Ritual Spellcasting DC Modifiers:

Casting Time:

1 round between checks: +8
1 minute between checks: +4
1 hour between checks: -1
Casting time is restricted (only during full moon, for example): -4
Casting time is severely restricted (only during lunar eclipse, for example): -8

Range:

Touch to close/close to touch: +2/-2
Close to medium/medium to close: +2/-2
Medium to long/long to medium: +2/-2
long to 1 mile/1 mile to long: +5/-2
1 mile to indefinate: +5

Area:

Doubling area/halving area (min 5 foot square): +3/-3

Target:

Unwilling target must be helpless (harmful spells only): -2
Limited targets (by HD, creature type, and so on; applies only once, cannot be used on spells that target self only): -3
Single target to multiple targets: +4

Duration:

Rounds to minutes/minutes to rounds: +2/-2
Minutes to hours/hours to minutes: +4/-2
Hours to days/days to hours: +6/-2
Days to permanent or instantaneous/permanent or instantaneous to days: +10/-4

Focus and Material Components:

Expensive material component (500 gp): -1
Expensive material component (5,000 gp): -2
Expensive material component (25,000 gp): -4
Expensive focus (5,000 gp): -1
Expensive focus (25,000 gp) -2

XP Component:

Per 100 XP (max 1,000 XP): -1

Extra Casters:

10 or fewer secondary casters: -2
11-100 secondary casters: -6
101 or more secondary casters: -10

Backlash:

Per 2d6 points of damage: -1
Caster is exhausted: -2
Per negative level caster gains: -2
Caster reduced to -1 hp: -4
Caster infected with disease: -3
Backlash affects secondary casters too (requires secondary casters): -1

Racial:  (not optional)

Caster is a Half Orc: +2
Caster is a Shifter: +4
Caster is a goblinoid: +5
Caster is Undead: +5
Caster has any warforged body feat other than psiforged: +5
Caster is a Monstrous Humanoid: +10
Caster is an Outsider: +10
Caster is a Lycanthrope: +10
Caster is a humanoid: +0
Caster is a Kalashtar: -1
Caster is a Living Construct: -1
Caster is an Elf: -2
Caster is a Gnome: -2
Caster is a Half Elf: -4
Caster is a Dragon: -5

Other:

+1 Caster level: +2
-1 Caster level: -1 (spell must have variable effects)
+1 saving throw DC: +3
-1 saving throw DC: -2 (spell must require a saving throw)
+1 power point used on spell (psionic powers only): +1
Inability to take 10 on casting checks: -3
A single failure results in the ritual failing (requires inability to take 10): -5
Ritual requires 1 less successful skill check (minimum 2): +2
Backlash doubled upon failure (requires backlash): -2
Ritual effects will be increased upon failure: -3
Casting Ritual requires casting equivelent spell: -10

Ons and Offs

MasterMischief

Thread drift: Sharn just screams Gotham City to me.  Some day, I will run a Fantasy/Supers mash-up in Sharn.

PhantomPistoleer

Fascinating!  I do not know what I want to be!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kunoichi

...To be honest, the E6 rules never really appealed to me. ^^; Admittedly, they could be made to work a lot easier in Eberron than in any other world because few people make it past level one, and having levels in a PC class is called out as being extraordinary...  But at the same time, there are high-level NPCs around like Oalian, the 20th-level druid awakened tree, or just about any member of the Chamber, who are all pretty powerful dragons.  You have powerful enemies, too, such as Erandis Vol, the Lord of Blades, the Daelkyr...  Would they be impossible foes under the E6 rules, or would they be altered to fit in with the ruleset?

As far as the 'level grind' problem goes... why not just start at a higher level?  The Last War alone would have given adventuring characters plenty of chances to hone their skills.  Even characters who weren't directly in the fighting could have had plenty of opportunities for level advancement before the campaign starts.

The Great Triangle

Everything is scaled down to be appropriate to E6 characters.  Olian is still a 20th level druid, but because plants have a maximum of 0 HD, he's simply an intelligent object with all the spellcasting of a 20th level druid as spell like abilities, though he still cannot change forms.  Dragons are still massively powerful, but Dragons are mythic beings who still lose against the common races, due to the greater organization and magical artifice of the common races. 

Even Vol is only a 6th level Wizard with some really ambitious magical rituals, and the organizational might to pull them off.   The lord of Blades is also a 6th level artificer with some particularly leet magic items.  As a side note, I really hate how the 4th edition Eberron campaign book when and inflated all the levels of the characters to unbelievably high levels.  The Daughters of Sora Kell could now pretty much wipe out half of Khorviare if they actually cared to.  (and the rules of 4th edition allowed such tomfoolery)

The Daelkyr, however, are generally intended as impossible foes, though getting direct divine intervention or a convocation of dragons might ward them off. 

The scale down follows the following guidlines  (creatures of multiple types use the lowest HD cap for their type):

Creature Type:         Max HD:

Construct                    0
Ooze                          0
Plant                          0
Vermin                        2
Animal                        4
Humanoid                    6
Monstrous Humanoid     6
Magical Beast              8
Giant                         12
Undead                      12
Fey                           12
Dragon                       15
Elemental                   15
Outsider                     20
Aberration                  20

Ons and Offs

Kunoichi

...Yeah, from the sounds of things, E6 isn't quite what I'm looking for. ^^; Again, there's always the option of starting from a higher level, if you really don't like the 'level grind' of early levels in D&D.  Eberron's actually a setting that allows for plenty of action and intrigue even at low levels, though, so I don't really think it'll be a problem.

The Great Triangle

I have run a game of Eberron from 1st to 19th level, and find I simply don't like the High Level style of play.  The PCs tend to inevitably become boring invincible heroes, and the spellcasters tend to eclipse everyone else.

Still, I'm not going to force my playstyle on anyone, but that's what I want to run and if someone wants to run something different, I'd probobly by happy to play in it, since I love the Eberron setting.

Ons and Offs

TheGlyphstone

I've always been interested in E6, ironic considering I normally do exclusively high-level play (particularly spellcasters) -but I love Ebberon even more than I love high-level characters, so if there's space available, I'd definitely be in for this.

Kunoichi

True, that is something of a problem of 3.5 D&D in general.

I've actually heard that the 'sweet spot' for the game is around levels 8-12, to be honest.  Level 12 might be a good ending point for a campaign...

Ah well.  I'll still have to wait and hope to find somebody to run it, unfortunately. >>;

PhantomPistoleer

Argh, Kunoooo.  This could have been sweet!  42-point buy?!  :<
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kunoichi

I prefer 32 myself, to be honest, Phantom. >>; Also, I doubt he'd have let you be Gestalt...

PhantomPistoleer

Gestalt isn't a make-break, Kuno.  ;_;

This sounded almost perfect, aside from the fact that there wasn't much interest given by the womenz.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kunoichi

Probably because I'm asking for someone to run the game, rather than offering to run it myself... >>;

That said, if more people show an interest in an E6 Eberron game, then I think you guys should go for it. ^^; I could probably be convinced to give it a shot as well, even if it's not quite what I'm looking for at the moment.

Katina Tarask

Well.  You certainly seem to know what you're doing, oh triangular one.

Though as for the whole, "casters rule, muggles drool," dichotomy of high-level D&D, the main problem there is that the Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Archivist, Artificer, and Erudite specifically are so tremendously powerful at high levels, while muggles kinda get the shaft.  Cutting out the best of the casters outright leaves a more reasonable, balanced remainder, while making Tome of Battle the standard for melee brings them up to snuff.  It can keep the dichotomy from getting too out of whack until levels 12-16 or so.

For me, levels 6-12 are the real sweet spot; I'd say ya kinda have to go a bit deeper to get into prestige class range so that some characters really blossom.

Hm... I can work with these rules.  But the question is, what can I work with them?  So many options, so little time.  I know I want something that can take advantage of those ritual rules, though in what capacity?  Hm... Think, think.

Ixy

If you're still game for running this, I'm interested in applying.  Although I am embarrassingly ignorant of Eberron, I'm really more interested in the concept and character interaction anyway.  Plus, I know that certain people will let me know if/when I screw something up.  *grin*

I'll read over that wall of guidelines to see if you have a solid character-creation method locked in.

PhantomPistoleer

I think I am going to submit a fighter.  ::eyes Terra suspiciously::

A... horseback specialist fighter. ::coughs::
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kunoichi

Well, looks like The Great Triangle has enough interest for him to run a game under the E6 rules, if he's still interested. ^^;

Even if I'm not playing, I know enough about Eberron that I'd be willing to help people with character concepts and backstories, if they want any help.

TheGlyphstone

If it does go off, I so totally want to actually be able to play an idea I've had bouncing around for a long time, a Warforged 'Warlock', whose invocations are all mechanical-based prototype improvements. Eldritch Blast? Wrist-mounted laser. Fell Flight? Jetpack. Breath of the Night? Smoke bomb dispensers. Walk Unseen? Cloaking device. Go go Gadget Warforged!