Green Lantern Honour Guard (other heroes welcome too)

Started by JosuT, November 15, 2013, 06:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JosuT

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about doing this for a while and I've decided to do it and just give it a try. I'm wanting to do a Green Lantern Corps rp. It isn't going to be strictly Green Lantern characters though, Original characters and other heroes are welcome as well. This will work because the setting will be Earth. It will be free form, set in threads, and adaptations to canon characters are fine. There will be a few limitations to characters, but those will be laid out below. Now, on to the description of story and setting.

The war of the Green Lanterns has ended (the story that comes directly before the New 52 for clarification). Hal Jordan has been cast out of the Corps by the Guardians. Mogo is dead, killed by John Stewart to prevent more rookie lanterns from being inducted and mind controlled by Krona. Yet, once again, the Earth Lanterns have saved the Corps and potentially the universe. Krona is dead and the entities have been freed to return to their respective corps. The Guardians are shaken by their experiences and retreat to their citadel to think of what should happen within the corps. the Corps is in near chaos as everyone has been affected by the war.

This is where our story breaks away from canon.

The Corps starts to recover and things start to return to normal. The guardians have rules that Sinestro is not to be allowed to remain in the corps. The rookies that were brought in during the war are allowed to stay if they can prove themselves worthy through their training. Regular corps members are not allowed to stay on Oa without official business. They are to remain in their sectors unless called upon. They may travel to other sectors that are nearby, but they should try to remain near home to perform their duties. Because of this the honour guard has been expanded so that those elite lanterns can assist or take part in important missions that regular lanterns would not be able to handle. The Alpha Lanterns are still the internal police force of the corps, making sure that Lanterns follow the laws that have been laid out by the Guardians. The only lanterns who stay on Oa are those needed to run things like Morro, Salaak, and Voz, Alpha Lanterns, and Honour Guard. The chain of command has the Guardians at the top, then Salaak as Clarissi, and then the leaders of the Honour Guard the Illustres such as Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner. The members of Honour Guard and Alpha Lanterns are not considered a lantern of their home sector and when someone is turned into a member of the Honour Guard or made and Alpha Lantern, a new lantern recruit is found for their sector. It is thought that the Guardians have changed the format to try and prevent any uprisings or complications within the corps. One surprising development is that Ganthet has vanished.

The universe is a complicated place now as well. The other six corps continue to exist and defy the Guardians who seek to remove them and their corrupting influence. They are rebuilding their forces and gradually expanding. The Red Lantern Corps is changing, their members being given back some consciousness and ability to think. They are starting to roam the universe, attempting to provide vengeance for those who can not get it on their own. The Star Sapphires are attempting to spread the message of Love to more and more people. The Sinestro Corps has stabilized on a new home world and are expanding their numbers once again. Larfleeze has been fairly quiet, but it is certain that he is planning something, wanting to possess more. The Indigo tribe is the most quiet at the moment. The blue lantern corps under the leadership of Saint Walker is missing their founders Ganthet and Sayd, but are growing slowly.

Everything seems to be getting back to normal when the guardians suddenly summon Guy Gardner to a meeting. It is rare for anyone to see the guardians since the War, and it is clear that things are serious. When Guy emerges from the citadel he has a new mission and it is clearly a serious one, but there is a mixture of happiness and worry. He is going to be sent to Earth along with a team of Honour Guard. The Guardians admitted to looking through Book of the Black to see the prophesies contained within. They worry about one of them. They have interpreted that humans will become members of all of the corps and this will lead to death and destruction. There is already one human in the Star Sapphires and the Honour Guard team are assigned to prevent the other corps from recruiting humans. They will stay in the new precinct house for sector 2814 that will be orbiting Earth's moon (so it is out of the way of satellites and Earth's space traffic). While they are near Earth they may assist with the protection of the sector and the protection of Earth, but they must remain focused on their main mission.

Guy sets off for Earth immediately as the Guardians choose the rest of the team. He arrives on Earth and starts to settle in, making sure that the precinct house is prepared and that the sensors are in place to locate any lanterns from other corps entering the sector. While he is on Earth he gets the strange sense that something else is going on. Something deeper. He isn't sure what, but he doesn't believe that the Guardians would feel the need to send an entire team of Green Lanterns to prevent other corps from recruiting humans. He realises that he will need to be even more vigilant. The Guardians are worried about something on Earth and if it is enough to make them scared, he knows it could be big.

Earth is much the same as it has always been, but lately a few things have been changing. A few powerful companies and large business empires are running more and more of the commercial world. Money is a larger focus than it ever has been before and that seems to be starting to affect super hero teams. While they are still largely run and funded by governments, there is more emphasis on making sure costs are kept down and that damages are held to a minimum to prevent financial losses. The change has happened over time and it is only noticeable to those who pay close attention. The average person doesn't know that things have changed as much as they have.

And so we have it. A team of Green Lanterns stationed on Earth. They have a main base in space, but can stay on Earth if they wish. They have a mission, but something else lurks beneath the surface. Is it something on Earth? Or maybe the Guardians just want certain Lanterns away from Oa for a while. Earth is changing and having a super hero team is more difficult. There are some who might prefer to join the new team who seem to have no one to report to and no focus on finances. A strong team that could use some diversity in abilities.

If this story or concept interests you, feel free to post your interest. You can be almost any Green Lantern Character other than Ganthet and Hal Jordan. I will be playing as Guy Gardner so he is taken as well. You can also create your own GL character. If the character you choose or create has not been an honour guard already you can determine what they did to be given that status. You can also play any Earth hero that you think might fit well within this setting or create an original hero from Earth who decides to work with or join the GL team that is starting to operate on Earth.

The story line is not set in stone and changes could be made if I get a good suggestion, though I do want it to at least start on Earth. If there is really only interest in playing characters that are Green Lanterns the setting could move back to Oa.

If there is some interest I will create thread for the story. You don't need to post a character bio right now, but I'll give a basic format that you can use once I do ask for bios. For characters that are not Green Lanterns you can add details about their powers, their hero name, and equipment that they may use.

NAME:
HEIGHT:
WEIGHT:

APPEARANCE/COSTUME: (Put pic underneath)

APPEARANCE WITHOUT COSTUME:

POWERS/ABILITIES:

HISTORY:

PERSONALITY:

Vorian

Hmm ... may be interested in this. Would joining one of the other corps be a possibility, or is it strictly Green Lanterns?
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

JosuT

I think that for now I'm going to say that it will just be Green Lanterns or non Lantern heroes. If someone was to play a character from a different Corps they would have to be against everyone else since their current mission is to make sure no humans join another Corps. Maybe later down the line someone from the Blue Corps could be welcome, or a very slight possibility of someone from one of the other Corps, but that will be once the story has advanced enough.

Vorian

Alright, makes sense. Still coming up with ideas but it would be later on if I go that route at all. Batman, Inc. is around the same time right?
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas

JosuT

I am not really sure what else is happening at this point in time in the DC universe, but this story does not really follow canon after the War of the Green Lanterns and doesn't really follow other DC canon at all. In this world the Earth is changing and corporate entities are taking more control. For anyone Batman related, Wayne Enterprises might be falling on hard times as the other corporations are starting to monopolise more and more businesses and industries. But that does not have to be the case. Maybe they have been able to find a way to stay viable and profitable as a company within the changing landscape of the business world.

AndyZ

Curious about this, but I'm severely behind on the comics.  Other than the movie a couple years ago, the last time I saw Green Lantern, he couldn't affect anything yellow.  With all the canon-y stuff, am I going to be just too behind to be able to follow, or could I maybe have a near-human species who's new enough and far enough away from Earth as to be clueless on most such events?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Vorian

Ok. My thought with Batman is that he's likely to want one of his people keeping an eye on this team and it's easier to pull off an OC in that role if he's doing the mass recruiting thing. If not I may have to dig into the extended Bat-family and see if anything hooks me. Not sure of the exact timeline but I'm pretty sure it was just before New 52.

AndyZ: Should be possible, one of the lanterns chosen right before Mogo's death could work. Daxamites may work if you don't want to make something up completely.
Ideas

JosuT

Quote from: AndyZ on November 16, 2013, 10:58:56 AM
Curious about this, but I'm severely behind on the comics.  Other than the movie a couple years ago, the last time I saw Green Lantern, he couldn't affect anything yellow.  With all the canon-y stuff, am I going to be just too behind to be able to follow, or could I maybe have a near-human species who's new enough and far enough away from Earth as to be clueless on most such events?

Green Lantern is no longer unable to affect Yellow. Turns out it was because Parallax was trapped inside the main Power Battery and causing the impurity. He's out now, so no impurity.

But anyway, there are definitely options. In the last canon storyline we're using there were a large number of brand new recruits brought in to the GL corps. You could play one of those characters who decided not to give up their ring and worked to prove themselves. They managed to do something that proved not only that they are worthy of the ring, but that they also have great potential. Maybe they were not made full honour guard, but were sent on the mission anyway for more training and to see how they can do as a potential honour guard. That sort of character wouldn't know anything about Earth and wouldn't even know most of the history of the corps.

You could also play a new hero on earth or an already established hero on earth.

A final option is to simply use a wiki to catch up on basic events. Might take a little time and reading, but it is a good way to at least learn the basics.

AndyZ

Quote from: Vorian on November 16, 2013, 11:29:06 AM
AndyZ: Should be possible, one of the lanterns chosen right before Mogo's death could work. Daxamites may work if you don't want to make something up completely.

Much obliged, and I put some thought into this, but it seems like a crazy amount of power combined with a seriously debilitating weakness.  A superhero who is especially weak to bullets just isn't going to last long.

Quote from: JosuT on November 16, 2013, 11:34:30 AM
Green Lantern is no longer unable to affect Yellow. Turns out it was because Parallax was trapped inside the main Power Battery and causing the impurity. He's out now, so no impurity.

But anyway, there are definitely options. In the last canon storyline we're using there were a large number of brand new recruits brought in to the GL corps. You could play one of those characters who decided not to give up their ring and worked to prove themselves. They managed to do something that proved not only that they are worthy of the ring, but that they also have great potential. Maybe they were not made full honour guard, but were sent on the mission anyway for more training and to see how they can do as a potential honour guard. That sort of character wouldn't know anything about Earth and wouldn't even know most of the history of the corps.

You could also play a new hero on earth or an already established hero on earth.

A final option is to simply use a wiki to catch up on basic events. Might take a little time and reading, but it is a good way to at least learn the basics.

I like the idea of being a new recruit.  I may just go with the simple idea of amnesia explaining confusion as to current circumstances.  Going to let myself think on it for now.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

1SAZ

Oh hey, a Green Lantern rp? I may or may not be interested... *looks at his profile image and location* Okay, maybe very interested... >.>

Vorian

You know, what I'd really like to do is a Martian, but I think full telepathy may be hard to work with. Maybe a Superboy-style hybrid clone? Similar powers, but some altered, reduced, or missing.

Quote from: AndyZ on November 17, 2013, 01:32:57 AM
Much obliged, and I put some thought into this, but it seems like a crazy amount of power combined with a seriously debilitating weakness.  A superhero who is especially weak to bullets just isn't going to last long.

Yeah, wouldn't normally suggest them but they work reasonably well with a lantern ring. Anything with a more primitive or isolationist culture works just ass well though.
Ideas