(Interest Check) [Pathfinder] Hell and Beyond

Started by Wintercat, November 07, 2014, 03:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintercat

On any possible Deja-Vu on the Thread Name
Alright, I posted a topic on this name earlier but deleted it quickly on realizing I'd forgotten a share of information in the first attempt already. So going to try again, writing fresh for it. If you saw the earlier one (it was taken down fast but it had a couple of views), I am sorry it got removed so fast but I wanted to add the bit of information right to the starting post and wanted to think it over a little longer after all, so this took me a bit. Nonetheless, enough with that.

Every night, it began with a shriek. The winds howling around, the distant ground beneath the clouds, and the sensation of falling. That terrifying height, that black and green smoke hazing the path down partly yet revealing enough to see the height was not one a person should be able to survive. The fear and dread giving way to the sensation of wrongness in passing through the clouds, the violation of one's very essence as images of people and places passed through one's mind, stripped away and burnt to ashes, destroyed in passing through the smoke and vapors, the very essence of one's being being burnt off by the touch of those clouds. The lethe clouds, the damnation of amnesia, the fall to the hell's ashen soil.

It wasn't a lone figure falling, but one amongst several, the howling winds surrounding them, tossing them scattered about before they made their landing with sickening crunches, howls of pain and misery, and whimpers of near passed-out bodies on the brink of breaking entirely. The sight of the storm clouds, the green vapors dancing with the black smog in the sky, the lethe clouds that stripped one's memory, the ashen fields of the blasted wastes. The thundering in the distance, the sound of hooves approaching, and the hard smack to the side of the head. Blackness, sweet oblivion from the pain, at least momentarily.

The dream ended with a person shaking and sweating in most cases, rested on the cold tile floor of their cell, a nearby grate smelling of waste, the rags on their figure all they had left, the door to their cell tightly locked but the small slot at the bottom showing a simple crude tray with some sludge of a meal, some badly burnt meat, as well as a glass of dirty water. That was one's day's meal, and that was a luxury, for the rest of the day would pass without anything to eat.

The horned jailors passed their doors, casting a glance at their prisoners now and then, but moving along without stopping, only there long enough to see everyone was in their cells. The only light what dim glow could be made out from the hallway beyond, from both the eye-hole and the small hole near the floor the tray was shoved through. It wasn't much, but it was all they'd come to know for the last few days. Their bodies had recovered, their minds come to grasp the situation they were in, more or less, but with large gaps in their memories and their gear gone, they were at the mercy of their captors, for now.

This is an interest check for a game taking place in Hell, there will be a chance to try and escape, or to alternatively try and take over if the players were so inclined to try. Either way the game is likely to not be an easy and quick one. I am looking for 1-3 players, at most a total of 4, who would be interested in a dark fantasy adventure through the gritty and cruel depths of Hell.

Mechanics wise, I plan on going by Pathfinder's rules, with characters starting at 6th level, with 30 abilities for point-buy to start off from before racial & improvement from 4th level and so forth.

The characters will find themselves in a situation where they dont have any gear to begin with, and they're unlikely to find a market selling them whatever they might wish, they'll be more likely to find themselves scavenging for gear (and something built for a Large fiend might not be adjustable for a medium-sized character, but might sell for a fair price at least), and worse the wizards and similar classes that are used to having certain equipment (e.g, their spellbooks) are not in possession of these at the beginning.

Clerical Holy Symbols & Wizard's spellbooks should become available during the play, but they will not be at hand at the start leaving those characters with a bit of a rougher time, but it will not be a permanent state of affairs. There is no moneytary budget to buy gear with, the characters may outline a few pieces of gear they used to have, which may or may not be recovered later on, but the more costly it is the more likely it's found a new owner already. Spellbooks will have the spells gained from leveling, and so forth.

This would be a game run with fast xp-track, so players should be able to advance as long as they manage to stay alive, but doing so may take a bit of effort and cunning.

Warning beforehand, the concept was originally brought forth while reading through "Infernum" bookset and the Hell will not be a very pleasant place to roam, the game is likely to be placed into the 'Extreme' section for the sake of being sure, though if the players prefer I imagine the NC-Exotic would work out as well. As this is an interest check phase, I'll see if there'd be any takers.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Pumpkin Seeds

Sain

Posting speed expectations would be nice to know. Also what sort of books are allowed for chargen. I like the premise though.

e. I suppose it's rather impossible to know since there are too many factors, so nevermind about that. Books though :D?
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Wintercat

@Pumpkin Seeds,
Yes, I see you there, glad to see you around. I take it you have might have some interest from that bit of waving you are doing?

@Sain,
I have seen group-games slow down a fair bit in the past and would hope to keep up a decent pace, preferably posting a game master post every 1-2 days to move things along, but I'd be happy having 3 gm posts a week if the players were happy chatting amongst one another as well as plotting. I would be pleasantly surprised seeing the game moving at a faster rate, including several in a day, but that seems to take a rather exceptional eagerness and timing from folks from what I've seen.

As for the books, I'd prefer to keep to the Core Book & Advanced Player's Guide, I am willing to listen to suggestions though. Ultimate Combat & Ultimate Magic might be options, but I am not sure if a Magus or Gunslinger would fit that well into the setting. Magus probably a bit easier. I don't have an Advanced Races Guide at hand, so I'd rather not involve it on since it would leave me unable to check some things for myself.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Sain

Posting every other day reliably sounds a bit intimidating, and I'm not sure I'd be able to pull it off, so maybe I'll leave my interest as tentative for now. Would not want to take a spot from people who could actually commit.

The selection of books sounds fine though, just perfect for a monk. I do love them pathfinder monks jumpin' around with ki.

Chulanowa

Tentative interest in a Paladin here. Vague, jittery memories of the AD&D module "A Paladin In Hell" and all

Also, this site has everything you would need from the assorted books: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/home - Races, classes, archetypes, et cetera.

Marie Reynolds

Hmm if you willing to let that fourth slot be taken. I would be interested!

Muse

*pounce!* 

I haven't finished reading yet, Wintercat, but anything you run I want in on! 

*goes back to reading* 

Winter, your writing is as brilliant as ever.  By chance do you have room for a dragon disciple or a cleric? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Faeli

OOH!  PICK ME!  PICK ME!  I am TOTS going to hell!

Sain

I would just want to confirm that I'm pulling my participation slip out, so maybe you have space :P

Wintercat

@Sain, I can understand that and I apologise if the hopes I have for an active posting was a bit intimidating to see at that too. I am merely hoping to avoid the pitfall of long waits for someone to post and seeing the game turn over to abandoned status for that.

@Blinkin, I think there's a fair share of interest but I don't generally consider things 'first come first served', but by ideas and who would work together well. I am aiming for a relatively small group though.

@Faeli, I would like to hear what you might have in mind then, what kind of a charater you might have in mind.

@Muse, I know you and I am grateful for the praise though it may be a bit exaggerated. I am willing to entertain the idea of a Cleric or Dragon Disciple, both are from the core book which I am including in the game after all.

@Marie Reynolds, I have no confirmed character sheets before me yet so I am willing to hear out any ideas you might have, no doubts there.

@Chulanowa, I am familiar with the SRD but I rather have the book or PDF at hand so advanced races guide isn't on the table since I would only be able to check some of the things in the SRD and not all the material gets covered it seems, at least based on the impressions I've had in the previous games. As for a Paladin in Hell, I am not opposed to it but I will warn before hand that this will be Dark Fantasy styled game and there will likely be points where a Paladin might get frustrating, though it might make for a good bit of roleplay still. I am merely wanting to be clear on that.

@Pumpkin Seeds, no further word from her but figuring she still has interest.
A&A

Muse

*Grins* 

Hm... 

If someone else wants to do a divine caster, I'll pitch the dragon disciple.  Since someone is going to want to do a religious type, though, what pantheon are you using?  Are the characters from Golarion? 

Also, do they have no memories left, or are they just patchy? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Wintercat

I am going to use Golarion as the backdrop, and its Pantheon. I like to toy around with homebrews but I would have to add a ton of reading materials and by then it would not be much fun for the folks here anymore I am afraid.

As for the memories, I'll leave it up to the players whether they have some hazy, patchy bits of memory, or none at all. They've not lost their skills, and muscle memory is there, but none of it is on the surface of their thoughts probably. As for the details of their life and so, beyond a simple name that they might just recall (optional, may pick a 'new name' as game starts if prefer), they are likely to draw a blank on most of it. Lethe's waters cause forgetfulness, and the thick vapours of it have stripped the fallen prisoners of the details leading to their fall and what came before.
A&A

Faeli

At a very brief envision would be a warrioress who had gone into assassinations (or, more correctly, slashinations) for easy money and eventually gotten herself strung up.  She would have a code of might and naturally believe that those who have the power to subdue others should have a right to do so, and likely find hell rather intimidating with SO many people capable of making her their bitch, and so she would very much be eager to cling to the party, though also not want the party to know she was clinging to them.

Wintercat

Not a bad concept at all Faeli, would certainly explain how she ended up in Hell, though she might have a bit of time figuring out her past, other than flashes here and there. I am curious to see how things will turn out, I think there's been enough interest to run this game. I will be looking forward to seeing some characters come together, feel free to give me a poke and ask any questions that come up in your mind.
A&A

Chulanowa

So the scenario is like the characters ended up in hell through their own actions, I.e., being bastards? I'd thought it was more like they were kidnapped or the like. Or can it be either? If the former, yeah, I see how a Paladin might be an awkward fit  :D

Wintercat

Either works, but the curious fact is the player characters are in their bodies alive in Hell.
So that is unusual enough in itself.

They may have been killed and ended up in Hell that way, but if they died they still find themselves in their body in Hell, and most that end there do so with just their soul along for the ride, and the said soul may be tangible but also a lot more vulnerable. Being alive makes them an oddity, an anomaly in hell. It is probably the same reason they've been imprisoned instead of broken and tortured already, as the damned souls are.

Of course, whether they remain 'alive' and embodied is dependant on their actions, and dying in Hell will certainly leave their soul there. Good or evil, dead in Hell is hell-bound since then. So a Paladin in Hell would certainly have a good reason to get out in order to join their deity on the correct plane in the afterlife later.

The player characters only hold vague or possibly even no actual memories of before, only that they fell, and the lethe clouds they passed through. (Anyone wondering on the repetition of Lethe, a River in Hell causing forgefulness, hope that is cleared by now with that).
A&A

Chulanowa

Ah! Alright then!

I'll just go back to muttering about not getting to play a frogman or an aaaaaaaaasimar then, while working on something  ;D

Blinkin

Would a swashbuckler (ACG) who committed adultry, on several occasions, be acceptible for the setting? The only concern that I would have is the limited selection of size appropriate equipment and who, exactly, too large weapons might be sold to? (the implication that weapons obtained might be sellable, but buying wouldn't be an option)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

Honestly I didn't get the impression that we were here as dead siners.  But Wintercat should be able to clear that up for us soon. 

Blinkin

*shrugs* you don't get thrown in hell for no reason, and having been a bad-girl could be fun. ;) If she remembers being a bad-girl
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

*Grins*  Well, I'm totaly with you there. 

Hm...  This is wntercat's game, might take the opertunity to play a more liberated girl myself.  :)

Faeli

Inerrant Lust

I have one very simple... but also perhaps controversial idea, crunch-wise.

An angel prisoner, broken and reduced from her glory.

Perhaps a Movanic Deva who has been depowered as a result of her imprisonment. So scaling her back from 12 hit dice to 6.

That would amount to... 57 HP, +6 BaB, +9 Fort, +8 Reflex, +5 Will, 54 skill points (Maximum 6)
Also reverse engineering the advancement rules, her natural armor would likely be reduced to +6 and naturally, she'd be without her flaming greatsword. Also remove any spell-like abilities above her caster level, drop three feats and two ability score increases. Also considering the possibility that her wings are maimed, removing her ability to fly (or reducing it from Good to clumsy, making her fly skill +4 instead of +17..) Also, considering her Detect Evil is constantly on.. and she's probably experiencing Overwhelming signatures while it is active, that would technically mean she's constantly stunned and unable to take action while in hell. I imagine she eventually adapted to constantly seeing and being in the presence of evil everywhere..

So, in conclusion...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Imprisoned Movanic Deva
NG Medium outsider (angel, extraplanar, good)
Init +7; Senses darkvision 60 ft., detect evil, low-light vision; Perception +13
Aura protective aura

DEFENSE
AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+3 Dex, +6 natural) (+4 deflection vs. evil)
hp 57 (6d10+24)
Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +4; +4 vs. poison, +4 resistance vs. evil
Defensive Abilities nature's pacifism, protected life force; DR 10/evil; Immune acid, cold, electricity, fire, death effects, energy drain, petrification; SR 17

OFFENSE
Speed
40 ft., fly 60 ft. (good)
Melee Unarmed +10/+5 (1d3+4/20)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 4th; concentration +12)

Constant—detect evil
At will—aid, discern lies (DC 15), dispel evil (DC 16), dispel magic, holy smite (DC 15), invisibility (self only), remove curse, remove disease, remove fear
7/day—cure serious wounds

STATISTICS
Str 19, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 19
Base Atk +6; CMB +10; CMD 23
Feats Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Vital Strike
Skills Diplomacy +10, Fly +17, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (planes) +9, Knowledge (religion) +9, Perception +13, Sense Motive +9, Stealth +9, Survival +9; Racial Modifiers +4 Perception
Languages Celestial, Draconic, Infernal; truespeech

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Nature's Pacifism (Ex): Animals and plant creatures do not willingly attack a movanic deva, though they can be forced to do so by magic. If the deva attacks a plant or animal, its protection against that creature ends.

Protected Life Force (Ex): Movanic devas are never harmed by positive-dominant or negative-dominant planar traits.

I have plenty of ideas for the fluff, but I'd like to know if this is viable first. :P

Foxfyr

I am intrigued by this story and have several builds that I'd be interested in playing. It's not often I play a healer sort, but think playing one in hell could make for a very fun dynamic.  Perhaps a cleric or oracle who uses reach weapons. =D

I'm thinking someone who was devout to their patron/deity, but was perhaps sacrificed or gifted to the underworld powers that be by an infernal cult.