Interest Check: Kushiel's Series Based Group RP [BON]

Started by anon, November 13, 2008, 01:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anon

Ok...If you guys haven't read Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series and you're fond of bondage or are a secret (or not so secret - coughs - ) sadist/masochist...where on EARTH have you been?!

Anyway, I'm interested in started a group RP, based on this world, circling about the Night Court.

And because I'm not at all fond of an orgy (or smut bonanza...okay. So maybe I am, BUT a RP should tell a story. - grins - ), I want some intrigue. So...we will be playing about with some court intrigues and political messes.

Everything is still in vague format right now, just wondering how many are out there that are interested in joining? This will probably start sometime in December (NaNoWriMo and all).

...Or I might just create a world based on this concept. - grins - It'll be something involving this though...

But yeah...you DON'T have to read the book to play (although it's certainly helpful). It's fairly easy to understand. ;] Courtesans are highly trained in their own individual areas and their specific art of the house that they are from. There are thirteen in all. (Will add list if I get enough interest to put together the threads). They are involved in politics intrigues...the female heroine, for example, was used as a spy. ;]
Ons/Offs ~ Absences
Disclaimer (thanks Caeli xP): I am NOT a kitty...just...kitty-like.
"I never trust a sneaky pussy." - Paradox

Dawg

TROUNCES and then sits patiently awaiting for December to arrive - You know my interest in this
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

HairyHeretic

I really enjoy the books, and had an idea for a disgraced Casseiline set up for another story that never really got off the ground. Possibly not the most original character, but it suited me :)

What time you thinking of setting it? Around the same as the books, or a bit before, when the Night Court (apparently) had more power / prestige?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

anon

- grins - I know, Dawg.

@HairyHeretic: Definitely while the Night Court's at its height. If it's set around the same time as the books, it's inevitable that someone will have to play the characters from the book. And I'm not too much of a proponent of that. xP Though if you have an idea that can work, you're welcome to bounce them out of my head? (Ignore the hollow thud when you do, by the way. - laughs - )
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

HairyHeretic

I'll dig up the old concept and PM it through to you, you can see what you think of it.

I prefer not to play canon characters myself.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Procrastinationary

I'm going to try to track down the books, but I'm interested and attentive. That's about all I can say.

anon

@HairyHeretic: Awesome.

What I have so far: Two possible heirs with equal claims to throne, both with impressive groups of followers and...I have some twists planned.

Incidentally...I think I know who your avatar is. xD Or at least, the character.

@Procrastinationary: Noted. - grins - Out of curiosity, because I haven't seen your O/O, would you play a patron or a courtesan? (And yes, there are males in there too. >_>).
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

HairyHeretic

Quote from: anon on November 13, 2008, 03:32:27 PM
Incidentally...I think I know who your avatar is. xD Or at least, the character.

Mine? Sun Wukong, King Monkey, the Great Sage, Equal of Heaven :)

Or at least Jet Li's most recent incarnation of him.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

anon

Yay! I was right. xP
I grew up listening to the stories. =]
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

HairyHeretic

I grew up with the 1970s tv show version. That and 'The Water Margin'. I have the DVDs of both shows, plus the proper books too.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Procrastinationary

That's John Constantine's tattooed backside, but I'm sure you knew that.

As for my ons and offs, I haven't gotten around to listing them yet, but I usually tend towards dominant characters. It's not so much a preference as I just seem to have more of a talent for wicked, dominant characters than I do submissive ones, not that I'm not willing to try.

anon

@HairyHeretic: Heh. Not TVs for me. Just part of the heritage. ;]

@Procrastinationary: Mm...John Constantine...actually...mm...Keanu Reeves...- purrs - Oh yay! A dom! I might kidnap you for a RP on the side if this doesn't take off. xP
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

Procrastinationary

No Keanu Reeves. I like Constantine to be a blond, British bastard. It's not as if they used anything more than an inkling of a Hellblazer plot for the film anyways, they didn't even bother getting the name right.

Why, is there some kind of huge lack of people who like to play dominant roles? Just curious.

anon

- grins - Oh but I have a thing for dark-haired boys. Though British...Mm...- coughs -

Um. No? I just don't seem to have a lot of luck running into them. That or they're avoiding me. - laughs - Come out, come out little dom boys...I don't bite.

Yeah I do, but you all end up liking it. xP
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

HairyHeretic

Quote from: anon on November 13, 2008, 04:52:20 PM
- grins - Oh but I have a thing for dark-haired boys. Though British...Mm...- coughs -

How about Irish? :)

Quote from: anon on November 13, 2008, 04:52:20 PM
Um. No? I just don't seem to have a lot of luck running into them. That or they're avoiding me. - laughs - Come out, come out little dom boys...I don't bite.

You called? :)

Actually I think the general complaint is there aren't enough dominant females. At least I recall someone saying that a while back. Maybe the demographics have shifted since then.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Procrastinationary

I think we're still British, just not Britons.

Most of my characters end up being biters, which probably says something about my mental health, though I'm not entirely sure. Don't worry, though, I'm sure we can snag you a boy of your own, we'll just need a few tranquilisers.

anon

Oh - growls - Irish are yummy too.

Heh. I'm a switch. ;] Best of both worlds? - grins - Sub streak though. >_> But I can pull off a decent domme...if properly...motivated.

@Procrastinationary: - grins and supplies tranquilizers -
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

Procrastinationary

Good, I'll need to deaden my conscience before I help you leash some poor bugger into a life of slavery. That being said, it can't be that hard to nab someone, there seems to be plenty of activity around here.

I think I always just like powerful characters, not so much because of the actual power but the fact that they just don't feel the need to care about what others think. Nothing's more fun than a wicked character who knows exactly what he wants and is charismatic enough to make others want to give it.

Dunno if that's the tone you were shooting for with this game though.

HairyHeretic

There's enough of a variety amongst the House of the Night Court that pretty much any character could be catered for.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

anon

Ditto HairyHeretic. Might want to look up the index of the Court of Night-Blooming Flowers. ;] They should have a list of it somewhere online...That being said, you sound more like you would be a patron. xP
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

HairyHeretic

Sounds like he's after a scion of House Shahrizai maybe.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Procrastinationary

Nice to know there's a place even for arrogant, megalomaniacal sadists.

anon

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 13, 2008, 05:44:04 PM
Sounds like he's after a scion of House Shahrizai maybe.
Oh they're a nice bunch. - grins - Um. Something like that. I was actually thinking of creating a character of their House from a minor branch.

@Procrastinationary: The entire House is like that. - laughs -
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

Procrastinationary

But I am a nice guy. I just also happen to know that if you've got to torture someone for information, it's great fun dangling them from the ceiling by their piercings and poking them with hot irons. Sometimes you have to go with your strengths. I'm sure Stalin was a nice guy, there just didn't happen to be anyone else around who had a gift for pulling off and getting away with genocide. Well, except the other guys, but they didn't get away with it.

HairyHeretic

Have you read the books? If not, you really should at least try for the first one before things get kicked off. Its a very rich setting. Actually if you were playing someone from Shahrizai, I wonder if the first of the books with Imriel would be more instrutive?

Cattle die, kinsmen die