News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Any maille/jewelry artists?

Started by Oniya, July 27, 2009, 11:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Just a technical question, really.  I'm looking for something I can put together using rings that are not flat circles.  I've tried to find a precise name for the links I have - they are the type that are oval and twisted just enough to let them lay flat when connected in single file, but I'd prefer doing something different from that.

Back story:

A friend of mine recently broke up - badly.  Her boyfriend walked off, leaving her with a collar-style necklace that he'd made with these slightly twisted rings  - the message being that she wasn't worth claiming.

She had no desire to keep this hurtful reminder of him, and handed it to me to 'get rid of', which I have been, by carefully taking it apart.  So I now have this handful of links that look vaguely useful.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

...probably not the place for my questions >_>

Maille is generally either welded or riveted.

Typically you take a length of wire, grab a drill with a dowel rod bit, and use the drill to create a coil sort of like a compact spring. You then clip off wrings as you knit with (preferably angled) pliers - the slight twist they have is usually due to them being wound so. If they're slightly oval, whoever wound them may have done it manually rather than with a drill or better tool.

After the knitting is done, you should have a set of chain links that are roughly flush rather than twisted, and then you can weld or rivet the links as you desire.

Oniya

Actually, the links look commercially made, not hand-wound at all.  I've actually discovered that they also lay flat when three links intersect like a Venn diagram, so I'm going to try building back up from that 'seed'.

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17