Game of Thrones appreciation - Please /spoil carefully!

Started by Ramael, April 18, 2011, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramael

In honour of the first episode going out last night (tonight on the internet for anyone outside the US/without access to Sky Atlantic) here is a pooling of our thoughts about the series.

Haven't seen it yet? www.novamov.com have the first episode up, though who knows for how long.

Here's arguably the best promotion trailer for the series - Game Of Thrones "Iron Throne" Preview (HBO)

For those of you who have read the books (like myself) please use spoilers or /hides for those reading the thread who are watching without having read the series, if you're going to talk about all the events that are yet to happen!

Initial reactions-

So I knew doggystyle was the preferred Dothraki way of going at things, but I had no idea it was so popular in Westeros as well, judging from the way Cersei and Jaime were going at it just now :D

Also, is it me, or is the actor playing Jaime slipping into his native accent at times?! Other than that, he's putting in one of the more enjoyable performances of the show so far. His little confrontation with Ned at the feast wasn't strictly in the books, but it was definately worth putting in the episode.

Sansa looks way too old for Joffrey as well.

aya

I just watched it- I bought the books and plan to demolish them (not literally) once my finals are over :P

Ink Slinger

I thought the same thing about the doggy style.  But then, it's HBO.    And yeah, Joffery looks 10 while they aged up all the other kids...

OMG Direwolves.  SOOOOOOOOOOOO freakin' cute. 

I was actually quite impressed with what they did with the first episode.  I had many fears going in and the ep relieved a lot of them.  I think Sean Bean is a masterful Ned Stark.  I also absolutely love Jon Snow and wish the conversation with Benjen had been longer.  He said the bit about giving up family, but not the rest which I also felt rather important. 
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Especially the part about never having love or family of his own and ya know, not having women around to bed.
While the later is not essential to the story, he is a healthy, attractive male with hormones.  I know they can't put in everything, but I missed that bit.   

Also I love the credits.  With all the gears making the scenes, that's just cool. 

So yeah, those are my initial reactions.  I can't wait for next week!
Ons and Offs                   A/A                         Cravings  
not considering new RPs. Erratic response time

CaiusCaligula

I think everyone can agree...Peter Dinklage was awesome. No surprise, because this is a universal constant, but he was a lot of fun to watch as Tyrion (who is one of my favorite characters)

consortium11

Sean Bean is pretty much made for stuff like this.

My only issue looking forward is this: HBO allows for there to be plenty of dark stuff on screen (just look at Oz) but some parts of the book are just so dark/twisted that I can't see it being translated to screen and being able to convey the same impact.

Excellent so far though...

Lilias

I wasn't exactly convinced by Lena Headey, but the rest of the casting is pretty much spot on. Catelyn was just as I had imagined her as I read. Agreed on the cool credits as well.

I'd have loved a longer pre-credits scene, though. The encounter with the Others felt rushed, and I wish they'd shown just what happened to Royce and his other companion.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Ramael

They've just got the go-ahead for Season 2. Off the back of one episode. That's a helluva premiere. I wonder what the ratings were like?!

Hurrahs all round!

Sean Bean is like the gruff Northener archetype.

"Bloody shandy-drinkin Lannisters with ther fancy silk clothes and ther fanceh new seven gods. Not like oop North, where there's real ale, proper gravy, and real bloody snow that'll tek skin off yer bones, not to mention proper real lasses, unlike yon mental bloody Cersei bloody Lannister. Winter is bloody comin, an I'm off to watch t'Blades game."

By the way, who else couldn't really take Robb seriously when he was interrogating Jon about the direwolves, because he was holding two of the cutest puppies known to man.

What was that, Robb? How does Jon know about the omen of the stag horn in the wolf neck? Or did you say you wuff your widdle puppy wuppy direwolfy wuvvly cuddly widdle snookum cutey muzzle chops.

consortium11

Sean Bean's so Northern that he can actually turn a dark haired cockney character into a gruff blond Yorkshireman...

It's like a superpower...

Martee

Peter Dinklage is a masterful Tyrion.  If they get nothing else right for the rest of the series, I will love HBO forever for getting that right.  I had a great shameless love for the Imp just from the books, but the actor is sweet icing on a rich cake.  I am very pleased.

I have to agree about Cersei - the actress isn't bad, but I'll need some time to get comfortable with her in the role.  Everyone else did well, I thought.

I wish they had made Robb look a little more like Catelyn and less like Jon & Arya.  The dye jobs on the Targaryan siblings could have been much better as well, but after living with the Dothraki for a while I doubt it will matter much.

We picked up HBO again just for this series.  I'm so glad it's been picked up for a second season already.

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

aya

Sean Bean is absolutely the best (I love himmmm).

Too bad he, you know.. D:

consortium11

Quote from: aya on April 20, 2011, 01:10:11 PM
Sean Bean is absolutely the best (I love himmmm).

Too bad he, you know.. D:

To be fair, is there anyone in Game of Thrones you don't end up saying that about?

Lilias

Quote from: consortium11 on April 20, 2011, 05:10:28 PM
To be fair, is there anyone in Game of Thrones you don't end up saying that about?

Anyone else looking forward to actually seeing Cersei get her comeuppance?
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

consortium11

Depending on how much they intend to cover in the first series (I haven't really been paying attention) I'm more interested in how on earth they manage to include Gregor Clegane (and his many dark deeds).

The Dream Machine

I finally got to sit down and watch this today, and I loved every minute of it.  It was almost exactly how I pictured the books, minus that little exchange between Ned and Jaime (which was still awesome).  I'm on pins and needles waiting for the next episode.

Also, Peter Dinklage is pitch perfect as Tyrion.  By far, my favorite character of the books, and I imagine the show will be no different with Dinklage playing the role.

KaitlynKay

I am so ticked that I haven't been able to watch this due to a lack of HBO (which also means I will have to miss True Blood).  My only consolation is that the next book is out in July- and finally after years of waiting I can get another dose of Jon Snow! . . and hopefully some Jaime!

Ramael

Check the interwebs, Kaitlyn. That's all I'm going to say.

You won't get a dose of Jaime in the next book, however, as he was one of the POV chapters in Feast for Crows, and Dance with Dragons is the "other half" of the dramatis personae that we didn't see in FfC.

I am so excited to see what Tyrion's been upto in his exile. I was reading back on the first book, and remembered how well Tyrion and Jon got on, which we will probably see some of in the next episode, but I was thinking surely it would make sense for the little sly chap to sneak off upto the Wall?! He's being hunted by his own family now, and their strongest enemies (Stannis and Lord Snow) are at the Wall. Jon would definately welcome Tyrion, and Stannis, whilst being distrustful, would probably welcome all the inside information Tyrion has on King's Landing, both militarily and politically (also, is that plotline where Cersei was trying to send Kettleblack off to the Wall to assassinate Jon void now because of her arrest at the hands of the Faith?).

Admittedly, this would put two of the most powerful and coolest characters in the book together and give them a faint chance at kicking ass, so it definately won't happen, knowing George. Heh.

I strongly imagine also that Tyrion was just as likely to steal aboard a ship and get himself to Pentos, or one of the Free Cities, or any place where there might be a crapload of dwarves making him less conspicuous, but I like the Wall idea just because it puts him back in touch with Jon, now the power balance has been reversed for the pair.

KaitlynKay

The Dream Machine

I just finished episode three, and I have to say, the guy who plays Littlefinger just seems perfect for the part.  He looks just like I pictured the character when reading the books; ditto for Maester Aemon. 

Loving this show so far.

Izu

Haven't seen ep3, but so far the series is just absolutely gorgeous! They won me over the preview when they gave the first shot of the Wall - damn it made me shiver! Just as I had pictured it. I hope they will make series for all the books and not just for the first one. I can't wait for my state exam to be over (and passed that is) so tat I can re-read the books and then move onto the new one - for those who haven't found out - it's coming out on 12th July! ^_^

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Ink Slinger

For once it seems Hollywood agrees with my love of a show.  The show is already up for a technical emmy for those gorgeous credits and after episode 1 HBO greenlighted filming for season 2. 

I'm excited. So far they have done an excellent job with the series. 
Ons and Offs                   A/A                         Cravings  
not considering new RPs. Erratic response time

Ramael

Lots of shagging, too. Sweaty muscled torsos and plentiful naked bosoms and jiggling buttocks and thighs and yum. Bloody brilliant.

Lilias

With Martin on board, what did you expect? He wouldn't have the funnest parts of the whole to write sanitised by Hollywood, would he? ;)
~Wendell Berry

Ramael

Let's hope he won't let the darkest, grimmest and most depressing parts be sanitised, either in that case. There are some gut-wrenchers coming up, at least two in every book/series, and I can't wait to see how TV audiences react to them.

Martee

I thought the portrayal of Petyr Baelish was *perfect*.  I hate the character but it might be the best-cast role so far.

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Izu

Haha~ Yeah~ I remember when I watched the first episode's titles - the map thing. I was like 'Wow... those guys must have been huuuuuge fans (and nerds) to make it that good.' And then I saw that Martin was part of the crew and I was like 'LoL duh. xD'

But this is awesome! I was so afraid that they might make the books into a movie like LoTR. -.- It would have so killed the story. But series! Yey!

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...