Game of Thrones appreciation - Please /spoil carefully!

Started by Ramael, April 18, 2011, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramael

I'm all for Baelish character myself. Consistently the quickest and sharpest, outmanouvering everybody and always getting what he wants/needs. The ultimate Chessmaster. Go Littlefinger.

Lilias

Quote from: Ramael on May 04, 2011, 11:29:04 AM
Let's hope he won't let the darkest, grimmest and most depressing parts be sanitised, either in that case. There are some gut-wrenchers coming up, at least two in every book/series, and I can't wait to see how TV audiences react to them.

I'm pretty sure the casting of Sean Bean will add to the shock of the particular incident ;) I'm particularly tickled to see Viserys' crowning, myself.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

consortium11

Quote from: Lilias on May 04, 2011, 12:25:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the casting of Sean Bean will add to the shock of the particular incident ;) I'm particularly tickled to see Viserys' crowning, myself.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Sean Bean's characters do have a habit of being killed off in a pretty high number of the productions he's in... he's got to have one of the lowest survival rates of a fairly major star...

Shjade

Quote from: consortium11 on May 04, 2011, 02:39:48 PM
Sean Bean's characters do have a habit of being killed off in a pretty high number of the productions he's in... he's got to have one of the lowest survival rates of a fairly major star...
Pretty sure Michelle Rodriguez holds #1 spot for that. ;p
As someone who hasn't read the books (though I know I must've heard of it somewhere - I had to rewind the credits to see that "Based on" snippet again 'cause the name had rung a bell) I've gotta say, this is a damn fine show. Looking forward to seeing more of it, and I'll have to go look up the books at some point.

Gripes: the white hair dye jobs, as someone mentioned earlier; a little hard to follow the who's-who with all the jumping around, but that'll get easier with time, I'm sure - this is mostly pertaining to the who's-who of people who aren't Lannisters or Targhr...Targeyra...the white-haired ones. >.>

Favorite bit so far: "Girl? Boy? You are a sword." Hell yeah for tomboy-encouraging fencing instructors!
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Ramael

Yeah that must have been a tough one for the costume department. Lannisters; golden hair, specifically Jaimes as it looks like "spun gold". Targaryens; white gold hair, which after a few weeks on the trail with the horse riding Dothraki, has naturally got a tad duller.

Can see the oppurtunity for confusion. It would have helped if they gave Viserys and Daenys violet contacts (aren't the Targaryens supposed to have violet eyes?) but the hair thing is always something that may have proved a problem visually. Even more so when they talk of the past, where certain Lannisters were supposed to marry certain Targaryens.

By the way, non-book readers, that trail of Dothraki that the two Targaryen siblings are with? Supposed to be 40,000 strong.

Yeah.

Tough on casting, so they naturally trimmed that one down.

Also most scenes involving an entourage (Ned's arrival into King's Landing, the Lannister's arrival into Winterfell) one can mentally add a hundred or so extra men at arms, serving girls, knights, etc.

Shjade

Quote from: Ramael on May 09, 2011, 07:48:22 PMBy the way, non-book readers, that trail of Dothraki that the two Targaryen siblings are with? Supposed to be 40,000 strong.
They did mention that on the show. The prick brother Targaryen talking about the force he'd have at his command, I think it was. I'd just assumed that, being nomadic, they didn't all move in one huge clump all the time and instead spread out a little bit to cover ground for gathering as they went.

The folks with odd hair were the easy ones. It was everyone else that was a little confusing. Particularly the Stark family, for instance. Just how many of those folks are Starks anyway? Is everyone who's not a criminal at the Wall related to them in some way, or has their family just held a post there for thousands of years, or...? That kind of thing.

In other news, I have to admit, when the sister (Daenys?) was getting her lessons on how to be more persuasive in bed, one of the thoughts rolling around in my head was, "Classic RP scenario here." ;p
◕/◕'s

Ink Slinger

There's a lot of Starks.  They're northern winter folk.  Everybody has like 6 kids.  Gotta keep warm somehow ;).  I digress.  Ned said something in an earlier episode, "The Starks have been protecting the north for hundreds of years" or something like that.  Though the only Starks we've met on the wall are Uncle Benjin and the bastard Jon Snow. 

It's a culture thing on the wall though that they all call one another brother.  They're not really siblings, but what didn't get explained wholly in the show is that they cut ALL family ties.  There are a few conversations in the books that would make a lot of that clearer.

Now on to Ep 4. 
I wish it had been The Hound to tell Sansa how he got that way.  It was a powerful scene in the book and the 'why' of it is important.

that said it was still a good scene and a very good episode.
Ons and Offs                   A/A                         Cravings  
not considering new RPs. Erratic response time

Lilias

Quote from: Ink Slinger on May 10, 2011, 12:37:12 PM
I wish it had been The Hound to tell Sansa how he got that way.  It was a powerful scene in the book and the 'why' of it is important.

That's one of my favourite scenes too. Hearing it secondhand, especially from that slimester Littlefinger, just isn't the same ;)

The Braavosi is brilliant, naturally. As was Catelyn's rally at the inn.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Shjade

Adding to the above, without context, I'm not sure why the guy even told her that story. It's not like she was asking, and the information didn't seem like she needed to know it. He just wanted to give her bad dreams or something?

Semi-related: local library didn't have Game of Thrones. Sad now.
◕/◕'s

TheGlyphstone

that would be very in-character for her.

I'm glad to see D-whatsisgirl finally get a spine transplant.

consortium11

Quote from: Shjade on May 09, 2011, 02:10:31 PM
Pretty sure Michelle Rodriguez holds #1 spot for that. ;p

I think Bean gives a pretty good account for himself... all of the films/tv series where he's played a bad guy and all the ones with a "heroic" death. In truth these days whenever I see him in a production I'm generally surprised if he does make it to the end credits.

Ink Slinger

Quote from: Lilias on May 10, 2011, 12:56:28 PM
That's one of my favourite scenes too. Hearing it secondhand, especially from that slimester Littlefinger, just isn't the same ;)

The Braavosi is brilliant, naturally. As was Catelyn's rally at the inn.

Yeah, I feel like people are really missing something with that change.  You could definitely tell who in the room had read it an who hadn't with that.  We got odd looks like "Do you have any clue what that was about?"   I have also discovered, much like the books, you really have to pay attention to what's going on.  Blink or let your mind wander the tiniest bit and you've missed some key piece.

The rally was freaking brilliant.  I loved it in the book and I loved it even more on screen. 

There are so many little things I just can't wait to see...
sky cells anyone?
Ons and Offs                   A/A                         Cravings  
not considering new RPs. Erratic response time

TheGlyphstone

The rally was one of the weaker scenes for me so far, since it felt way too contrived. Cat just happens to be staying at the same inn that Tyrion shows up to stay in, right at a time when the entire common room is conveniently packed with supporters and friends of her family? If it had been a deliberate ambush, that'd be more palatable, but from discussions with fans on other sites, that scene in the book is a chance encounter that she takes advantage of.

Lilias

It's not the same without the build-up to that scene, no. But even in the book it is a chance encounter, one that she comes *this* close to not happening, since caution would have suggested avoiding inns altogether, at least in country where she could be recognised ;)
~Wendell Berry

Shjade

Just spent my morning on the couch reading through Game of Thrones.

I'm glad it isn't disappointing after watching the show first. Examining some differences in how relationships are portrayed is interesting, too, mainly between Viserys and Draenys: much more abusive in the books than the show, where it seems like Vis is just sort of a spoiled jerk in general rather than a nigh-sadistic one with a history of abuse. Also wondering why the show made Drae's first experience with the Khal look more unpleasant than the book's rendition.

Always fun to compare things.
◕/◕'s

TheGlyphstone

Huh. I do believe this is the first episode where we've gotten full-frontal nudity on either gender.

Caeli

Quote from: Shjade on May 16, 2011, 07:38:52 PMI'm glad it isn't disappointing after watching the show first. Examining some differences in how relationships are portrayed is interesting, too, mainly between Viserys and Draenys: much more abusive in the books than the show, where it seems like Vis is just sort of a spoiled jerk in general rather than a nigh-sadistic one with a history of abuse. [...]

Having not read the books myself at this point, I was surprised by the almost childish bent of portrayal of Viserys in the episodes. He seems almost one-dimensional at times - bent on getting an army to cross the Narrow Sea - and I felt that in many ways, this lack of fleshing out other aspects of his character (if they exist) really hurt the oomph he could potentially have.

I'm very curious to see the difference in the books, and have resolved to change this once I finish my finals in June. :)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Lilias

Quote from: Caeli on May 17, 2011, 01:44:15 AM
Having not read the books myself at this point, I was surprised by the almost childish bent of portrayal of Viserys in the episodes. He seems almost one-dimensional at times - bent on getting an army to cross the Narrow Sea - and I felt that in many ways, this lack of fleshing out other aspects of his character (if they exist) really hurt the oomph he could potentially have.

He is every bit as monomaniacal in the book, though the tone there is much more sinister (and I'm still bouncing in impatience to see how they'll deal with the crowning ;D).

This last episode was a bit 'huh?', though. I didn't really expect to see much of the Eyrie, but cutting the entire ascent was a bit too much.

And don't get me started on the Loras-Renly 'companionship'.
~Wendell Berry

Shjade

Quote from: Caeli on May 17, 2011, 01:44:15 AM
I'm very curious to see the difference in the books, and have resolved to change this once I finish my finals in June. :)
The only real difference I'm seeing is that, in the books, he's meaner. In the show he seems sorta mean by accident, like he's too focused on his future conquest to care about anyone else; in the book he seems like he's doing it on purpose. Other than that...pretty similar.
◕/◕'s

Kendra

Well I haven't read the book but since they started advertising it three months ago I was hooked. I am a big Sean Bean fan - whether or not he gets killed ;) would never have bothered watching any of the Sharpe series if it wasn't for him.

Anyhow I'm thoroughly enjoying GoT and have found myself sitting through the repeat show as well >.<
Quote from: Shjade on May 10, 2011, 01:48:50 AM

In other news, I have to admit, when the sister (Daenys?) was getting her lessons on how to be more persuasive in bed, one of the thoughts rolling around in my head was, "Classic RP scenario here." ;p
I think I more thought that when she was showing off her new skills to the Khal (Jason Momoa yummmy)  ;D

Shjade

Quote from: Kendra on May 17, 2011, 07:41:15 AM
I think I more thought that when she was showing off her new skills to the Khal (Jason Momoa yummmy)  ;D
Exactly. That whole period - it has merit. ;p
◕/◕'s

Samael

I am really not sure what to think of Jaimie at this point.
Every time I think he is just a bastard, I find him doing little things that tend to redeem him in my eyes a bit, like
letting Ned go, instead of capturing him as he wanted, because one of his men jumped in their duel. And he also seems to really be protective of Tyrion, which I didn't expect considering his general ruthlessness.

That said, Tyrion is one of my absolutely favorite characters on the show.
Despite his status as 'imp', he seems to be one of the most mentally stable people on it. He sees something weird, or strange, and he reacts like every well adjusted human being would. It is a nice change compared to most shows that the 'different' guy is pretty much also the most normal one. Doesn't hurt that he has great wit and is incredibly well played by Peter Dinklage.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Sight Beyond

If this is truly the 'off topic' board, shouldn't we talk about a different series in here?  just kidding, I know it's opposite day in here, as it was declared oppositely by not being declared at all. 

I'm sure I'll get around to Game of Thrones when I finish all the other series I'm working on.  currently going through the adventures of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, for anyone familiar with Fritz Leiber.  I'll let you get back to your discussion now. 

TheGlyphstone

Well, it's the "Off Topic" board because the "On Topic" board is where specifically sex-related topics and discussion go.

Will

As far as the books go, I'll consider reading them when the series has been released in full.  I'd rather make sure he's going to live to finish it. : /

I'm loving the series, though.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac