Shout box changes

Started by Cherri Tart, March 02, 2009, 01:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliss

I saw... this;

The shoutbox stares also into me!
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Apple of Eris

Bliss: I saw the same thing! But with me.

Valerian: Are you polling people from PA about Pasties? :)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

Quote from: Apple of Eris on March 03, 2009, 08:32:09 PM
Valerian: Are you polling people from PA about Pasties? :)
Only very informally.  Heh.  An ex of mine is from Philly, and when he moved to Wisconsin, he was highly doubtful about these pasty things... and now that my brother's moved to Philly, he has a hard time finding anyone who knows what he's talking about.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Dawg

Pasties are a meat, potatoe and carrot mix wrapped in a dough similar to pie crust.  They were made for the finish minors in Michigans Upper Peninsula mines and were reheated or even cooked using makeshift stove with the candles from their helmets.

I grew up on them and they are still a favorite treeat of mine when I go visit my Mum

[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Vekseid

So basically, we got a traffic spike, and Elliquiy went from serving sixty requests per second to trying to serve a hundred... and it died >_>

Will try the AjaxChat integration here tonight. Hopefully it will be a bit more forgiving on our poor machine. I can also perform some additional optimizations.

Valerian

Wow.  Stattick really DID kill the shoutbox!  O.O
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Apple of Eris

*blinks* So philly lost an Ex and gained a brother. I hope it was a good trade!

So wait, finish miners from cornwall in michigan ate these things after cooking them with a candle?
I am so not eating one, ever.

Whee! Hey Mr Veks, is the Ajax thing going to be auto-refresh like the SB ver 2.0 or will it e a self-serve like before?
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Valerian

They don't cook them over candles anymore, silly.  Heh.  Besides, I survived trying scrapple, so you should survive trying a pasty.

I just hope it scrolls the old way.  I was getting dizzy with it moving the other direction...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Stattick

Quote from: Valerian on March 03, 2009, 08:28:15 PM
Actually, they are sort of like British hot pockets!  Well, Cornish hot pockets.  Heh.  Don't worry, Apple, no one from PA seems to know what they are.  I think they're a midwest thing... though that doesn't explain how Stattick knows about them...

I like the idea of confusing the archaeologists, though.  *nods*

Stattick knows many things. He is a dreamer, shaper, singer, and maker. He knows the true secrets, the important things, 14 words to make someone fall in love with you forever. 7 words to make them go without pain or say good-bye to a friend who is dying. How to be poor. How to be rich. How to rediscover dreams when the world has stolen them.
O/O   A/A

Apple of Eris

Scrapple is... interesting. Not my cup of tea but you know, if you like ground up... everything pressed into a brick and fried... *turns kind of green*

so it's meat, potatoes, and carrots in pie crust served with gravy? Sounds like a pot pie and from the pictire I just saw looks like a calzone. You midwestern people are odd :)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Vekseid

Quote from: Apple of Eris on March 03, 2009, 08:46:23 PM
Whee! Hey Mr Veks, is the Ajax thing going to be auto-refresh like the SB ver 2.0 or will it e a self-serve like before?

Ajax == auto-refresh.

Valerian

Quote from: Stattick on March 03, 2009, 08:55:12 PM
Stattick knows many things. He is a dreamer, shaper, singer, and maker. He knows the true secrets, the important things, 14 words to make someone fall in love with you forever. 7 words to make them go without pain or say good-bye to a friend who is dying. How to be poor. How to be rich. How to rediscover dreams when the world has stolen them.

Val needs to know if Stattick is willing to share this varied and fascinating knowledge...
Quote from: Apple of Eris on March 03, 2009, 08:58:44 PM

Scrapple is... interesting. Not my cup of tea but you know, if you like ground up... everything pressed into a brick and fried... *turns kind of green*

so it's meat, potatoes, and carrots in pie crust served with gravy? Sounds like a pot pie and from the pictire I just saw looks like a calzone. You midwestern people are odd :)
I found scrapple pretty icky myself, I have to admit.

It isn't always served with gravy; I've seen it with ketchup or butter as well.  I guess it does look like a calzone, but I knew what pasties were well before I ever saw one of those.  Heh.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Vekseid

The last sixteen messages were:

Valerian *dances and smooches*
GrapeTootsiePop *sniffles* buh bye San Bernadino
Valerian *offers last rites for the SB*
Inkidu Be thankful you didn't use a C-note Val
Apple of Eris Poor ShoutBox Mark II. We hardly knew ye
Apple of Eris glares at Ink "Hush you!"
Sir Wolfgang what's replacing it?
Marguerite Sweet
Apple of Eris ME!
Sir Wolfgang sweet
Stattick railgun that shoots flaming chainsaw chucks shotguns
Sir Wolfgang plays the bagpipes
Oniya We will rebuild it. We have the technology. It will be stronger, faster...
GrapeTootsiePop *sobs*
Apple of Eris Veks has the patience
Apple of Eris the insanity

Apple of Eris

I swear there were more after that Mr. V :)

Stuff about pasties. But I kinda like having the last word otherwise! *giggles*

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Chou chou rheastar

ehehehe pasties.... anyway...SB wont work for me either. I have Firefox, using a Mac..dunno if that matters.

Apple of Eris

Won't work for anyone right now, till he sets up a new one :)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Dawg

So wait, finish miners from cornwall in michigan ate these things after cooking them with a candle?

Copper Country Pasties

* Pastry: 3 c. flour
    * 1 1/2 sticks butter (cold and cut into bits)
    * 1 1/2 tsp. salt
    * 6 tbsp. water

In a large bowl, combine flour, butter and salt. Blend ingredients until well combined and add water, one tablespoon at a time to form a dough. Toss mixture until it forms a ball. Kneed dough lightly against a smooth surface with heel of the hand to distribute fat evenly. Form into a ball, dust with flour, wrap in wax paper and chill for 30 minutes.

* Filling: 1 lb. round steak, coursely ground
    * 1 lb. boneless pork loin, coursely ground
    * 5 carrots, chopped
    * 2 lg. onions, chopped
    * 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
    * 1/2 c. rutabaga, chopped (can substitute turnip)
    * 2 tsp. salt
    * 1/2 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Devide the dough into 6 pieces, and roll one of the pieces into a 10-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Put 1 1/2 cups of filling on half of the round. Moisten the edges and fold the unfilled half over the filling to enclose it. Pinch the edges together to seal them and crimp them decoratively with a fork. Transfer pasty to lightly buttered baking sheet and cut several slits in the top. Roll out and fill the remaining dough in the same manner. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Put 1 tsp. butter through a slit in each pasty and continue baking for 30 minutes more. Remove from oven, cover with a damp tea towel, cool for 15 minutes.

Miners used to bring pasties into the copper mines and heat them on a shovel with a candle underneath.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Silver

Quote from: Dawg on March 03, 2009, 09:37:26 PM
Copper Country Pasties

*snip*

Writes that down and makes plans to make those at some point during April.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Stattick

So, it looks like Valerian, who rarely posts in the SB, got the last post of the old SB... Dancing and smooching as the SB burned, like Nero fiddling to Rome burning. It's an image I shall cherish.
O/O   A/A

Oniya

Well, they were fully cooked at home, then reheated over the candle.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

Oh.  I guess I did, even though there were supposed to be more posts after that.  Wow.

Well, what the heck.  *dances and smooches some more, in honor of the dearly departed backwards shoutbox*
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Vekseid

There were eight thousand messages.

In 32 hours... insane.

Caeli

Quote from: Dawg on March 03, 2009, 09:37:26 PM
Copper Country Pasties

You should send this to Aiden for the Recipes article. :) It sounds delicious!

Quote from: Vekseid on March 03, 2009, 10:16:57 PM

In 32 hours... insane.

... wow. o.o;
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Valerian

Quote from: Vekseid on March 03, 2009, 10:16:57 PM

In 32 hours... insane.
So... that means we talk too much?

*sobs*