Δ Project Delta δ (Sci-Fi Sandbox) - Paused

Started by RampantDesires, November 16, 2016, 03:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HopeFox

The crew are certainly the ones with the authority, but the actual social dynamic could play out in any number of ways.

Justric, I'd be more than happy for my Delta girl to be the dominant partner in a relationship with your submissive crewman, if that's what you'd like!
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Elven Sex Goddess

I am interested like to play a crew member like the chief of ship security. 

Relikai

I'm prepping my char sheet. Would it be alright for my pilot to be an ex-mercenary or ex-military, and now running small time jobs which needs a skilled pilot ?

I'm thinking that he works in shifts as an elite Medical Evacuation guy, the fellow who pilots a ship to pluck spacecraft drifting in space, or people who were blasted out of their ships in accidents  ^-^

Hob

Quote from: HopeFox on November 17, 2016, 05:39:59 PM
The crew are certainly the ones with the authority, but the actual social dynamic could play out in any number of ways.

Justric, I'd be more than happy for my Delta girl to be the dominant partner in a relationship with your submissive crewman, if that's what you'd like!

It's a thought! She certainly looks like she'd be able to put a person in their place!

Let me see how all of this is going to play out first set-up wise, though? I have reservations about doing most group RPs these days, and I'd rather not rope anybody into a partnership until I'm sure I can do right by them.

RampantDesires

*waves*

Hi there lovely folk.  Sorry it took me almost a day to get back to you.

In truth I've been wrestling with this pretty extensively and I wanted to let things stew a bit, maybe even sleep on them before making a final decision.  I've received a few character proposals, and they're awesome, but they are wildly different from my original concept of the group.  It put my brain into a bit of a writing lockdown while I tried to find ways to kind of revamp and reimagine the starting concept to fit a more diverse cast as well as providing suggestions for tweaking characters. 

After talking it out with some of my more seasoned GM friends I'm not sure that it is possible for me to do this without extensive revision.  While I could probably duct tape things together and keeps us moving forward on the character creation front it might be better if we took a small pause now while I overhaul the world building thread a bit in an effort to define things more clearly so that everyone is starting off on the same page.

A kind of open world building start was great in theory, and some who are more experienced and go with the flow would probably be fine, I myself need a bit more structure.  Making modifications on the fly, especially this early on can give a snowball effect.  "If we change that then this doesn't make sense ... what does that mean for this other tentative plan? What direction over all does that take the group?"  Most of these things would probably never become an in game issue, but that doesn't mean my brain doesn't obsess over them anyway :P

Part of the conflict comes from the fact that we all seem to have wildly varying ideas as to what exactly 'space station' means in the context of this game. Some clearly got a DS9 vibe, a massive cast including families where someone could be born and have lived entirely on the installation, others took a more Death Star military focus.  I hadn't really thought about either option until looking at sheets  :-[  I think if I clearly write out some of the operating capacity/history/potential for the Huxley in advance everything it'll go better.

There's another disconnect in the general 'world history'.  One of the focuses for the game for me was these advanced people trying to get away from high tech solutions to their problems (they're fighting a background war caused by just that).  That's why they're bringing these new more primitive people in instead of say androids.  While I understand the allure of synthetic characters they don't really fit with the central theme of the game. I really should have provided more than just a throw away line of dialogue "oh hey, there's also this massive thing that's shaping their current political and technological policies.'  Let me draw up some kind of ... official ITA procedures and standards that better outline what kind of technology is available and widely used. Not to mention a little more war history for those of you wanting to make miltary characters.

Finally I'm still struggling with the whole human/vrs exotic thing.  In my planning and ponderings I've always thought of characters as not just humanoid, but as human variants.  Then I said in the opening informational that I was open to including more exotic elements if that was the prevailing wish of the group.  I understand that it is the height of self absorbed arrogance to say that alien life should look like we do ... but I have to admit that I still prefer it.  *hangs  head*  Having sentient plant life, and more xenomorph-esque beings in kind of the background as story elements is totally doable, but I have a hard time with them as PCs.  I need to either work on adjusting my game world view or provide more concrete character samples/expectations.

I'm still kind of a baby GM in terms of groups here on E.  This is only my third project and there are still a lot of growing pains for me.  I'm super thrilled by your interest and humbled by the creativity and enthusiasm that you've put into your characters, but I'll have to ask for a few days of 'tinkering time'. I don't really have much in the way of plans this weekend so this should go fairly quickly barring more brain blockage and random events.

Hopefully it will make character creation and actually starting the game IC much smoother.  Better to rehaul a little now than to have to pause/retcon things in the middle of story writing right? I apologize for the hiccup and hope that it doesn't kill your drive for the project!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Relikai

No worries, looking forward to a better project!!

HopeFox

Take all the time you need! I've been in the same situation of being overwhelmed by character applications and not quite knowing how to make the world-building work in accordance. Getting the society, the technology and the station itself figured out is very important.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Chrystal

Part of the above is making sure you tell people the sort of characters you are after... For example, if you create a fantasy world and want it filled with humans, elves and orcs, you need to say "I want humans elves and orcs", otherwise you may get vampires, werewolves, dragons, fairies, dwarves, gnomes etc... The same applies whatever the genre.

But sure, take the time you need.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Lunaris

This certainly sounds like an interesting project to me and I certainly understand the need to take a step back and do revisions to better fit surprises from very imaginative and creative players. I'm sort of in the process of rolling out a Caelia 2.0 (my own custom setting). I think it might have been too ambitious but also too limiting in the initial build.

When you get the ball rolling again, I think I'd love to be a part of it. =] Good luck!

RampantDesires

Blerg

So retooling this is taking rather longer than I thought.

I started with a few simple character notes, but that blossomed into more world building info and a tentative frame work for how the whole process works.  I AM still working on it, but it is taking a bit.  Sorry fine people. 

Going to go ahead and lock the thread for the time being.  I'll be back here and send out some PMs to note when it's ready to go again!

Thanks for your patience!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->