News:

Main Menu

Avengers the Movie

Started by Callie Del Noire, April 05, 2012, 02:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

Its okay, Clint was called Legolas by Tony so that is what will probably stick now.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 24, 2012, 03:34:49 PM
Its okay, Clint was called Legolas by Tony so that is what will probably stick now.
That true, he did. That was funny.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Josietta

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 24, 2012, 03:34:49 PM

Yeah but Tony is a drunken asshat most days.....  he reminds me of popular rich jock boys who had nice cars at school and always got drunk and slept around but never committed. >.>

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Aiden

As a drunken asshat, I take offense to thar, how dare you classify me a jock! Tony is,more of a greaser.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Josietta on May 24, 2012, 05:01:55 PM
Yeah but Tony is a drunken asshat most days.....  he reminds me of popular rich jock boys who had nice cars at school and always got drunk and slept around but never committed. >.>

Clint is still Legolas.

Vamfire Havain

The movie was great. It probably would've been even better if it was longer.
My Roleplay Preferences and O/Os:

Embrace the darkness for it will relieve you from the stresses of light

Josietta

I will refuse to acknowledge such! :p

Sides....they played out Ironman all wrong. Tony Stark was not a comic relief character in any marvel comic I read. (mind you I only read 616)

The comedy always went to Spidey.

But for entertainment reasons I suppose -someone- had to fill that hole and we all know Tony is good at filling holes.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Vamfire Havain

Actually i don't think i like Tony very much in the Avengers. I cant really explain very well why that is my opinion, i think I'd have to watch it again, to better explain it.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Josietta on May 24, 2012, 06:06:29 PM

Sides....they played out Ironman all wrong. Tony Stark was not a comic relief character in any marvel comic I read. (mind you I only read 616)

But for entertainment reasons I suppose -someone- had to fill that hole and we all know Tony is good at filling holes.

Yup like the lack of personality that Clint had.

JDrew Spider

I just want to say they picked the PERFECT person to play Tony Stark. Robert "Drunk" Downey Jr.
"Congratulations, you are no longer the most screwed over person on the planet". JD

Spider Hole
Apologies

Vamfire Havain

I kinda like Robert more in Iron Man movies, just not as much in The Avengers.

JDrew Spider

Of course.. he has to share the spotlight.
"Congratulations, you are no longer the most screwed over person on the planet". JD

Spider Hole
Apologies

Vamfire Havain

and kinda down talk others and instigate.

Exelion

Quote from: Josietta on May 24, 2012, 06:06:29 PM

zing!

Honestly though, they played Ironman not as Tony Stark, but as Robert Downey Jr. in a mech suit. He was told to go be himself for a while, on camera, and make millions.

I think I hate him now.

All joking aside though, they re-wrote Stark to fit Downey's personality. Because snarky, sarcastic, and funny sold a hell of a lot of Iron Man 1 and 2 seats.

My only complaints about character portrayal was that Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Fury himself were virtually ignored. But the other characters more than made up for it. Best movie of the season, if not the year.

Chris Brady

I like this rendition of Tony Stark because he's not some drunk loser.  He's got issues, yes, but...

To be dead honest, he's got all the earmarks of a successful man with ADHD.  :)

I can relate to that.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Jag

I like his little quirks. Like his "don't hand me things". RDJ's Tony most certainly has some issues and some strange ones at that...but hell...did you see:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
...the size of that ring on Pepper's finger at the end of the movie that she didn't have earlier?!
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Chris Brady

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 25, 2012, 03:45:52 PM
I like his little quirks. Like his "don't hand me things". RDJ's Tony most certainly has some issues and some strange ones at that...but hell...did you see:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
...the size of that ring on Pepper's finger at the end of the movie that she didn't have earlier?!

A lot of that is symptoms are ADHD related.  He's one of the 'lucky ones', the ones that made his ADHD for him.  Most of them end up like me, drop outs.  Or they're addicts (which he is, alcoholic, but luckily it's not crippling, unlike most.)   His hyperfocus (ADHD is not only about distraction, but uneven focus) on a single topic, his jumping from topic to topic...

In Ironman2, the bit with the strawberries is a perfect example of how our memory works.

He IS the superheroic ADHD poster boy. ;D

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Jag

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 25, 2012, 07:31:42 PM
A lot of that is symptoms are ADHD related.  He's one of the 'lucky ones', the ones that made his ADHD for him.  Most of them end up like me, drop outs.  Or they're addicts (which he is, alcoholic, but luckily it's not crippling, unlike most.)   His hyperfocus (ADHD is not only about distraction, but uneven focus) on a single topic, his jumping from topic to topic...

In Ironman2, the bit with the strawberries is a perfect example of how our memory works.

Oh I don't doubt anything about his ADHD. I do love his line towards Cap about being a genius billionaire playboy philanthropist.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 25, 2012, 07:31:42 PM

Him and Percy Jackson.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ryanmcallister80

In my opinion one of the finest superhero movies of all time.

Chris Brady

You know, I am not sure Maria Hill is such a feminist model.  She's capable, yes, but at the same time she only does what Fury tells her.  So I am confused as to what makes a 'feminist'.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 12, 2012, 04:09:18 AM
You know, I am not sure Maria Hill is such a feminist model.  She's capable, yes, but at the same time she only does what Fury tells her.  So I am confused as to what makes a 'feminist'.

I think that depends on what version of feminism you're using. By the 'independent woman who makes her own decisions' definition, she's not a feminist model at all. By the 'woman treated exactly the same as a man' metric, she's very feminist.

Shjade

So knowing this is a superhero movie and comics and silly and other such "don't think too hard about this" descriptors, I went to see it with most of my analytical brain at least turned down to "low" (I can never completely turn it off). I was able to ignore or write off most of the little things that made me want to start a sentence with, "But..."

That said, I still had one fairly important question by the end:

If Bruce's "secret" to controlling The Other Guy is "I'm always angry," why is it that during the end battle he seemed to have pretty good friendly fire control but when he hulked out on board the big flying ship he was in pure FFA mode when there was exactly zero significant change shown in him between the two transformations?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Avis habilis

My best guess is he hulked out on the Helicarrier because he was injured ("The Other Guy spit it back out."), so he wasn't in control as he would have been if he had decided on his own to go off the chain.

Shjade

Eh, I guess, but he was only "injured" in that he fell down a hole and skinned his knee, more or less. Besides, if the key is "I'm always angry," he didn't go off the chain - he was already there and chose to transform and tear shit up, right?

I'm guessing the difference is that he was actually mad at SHIELD for having hidden stuff about wanting to make uberweapons so he wanted to jack them up, but I dunno, it just seems kinda odd on the surface.

Quote from: Inkidu on May 12, 2012, 05:06:57 PM
Are you joking! That would make a terrible movie villain. I don't care if you're basically the master of time, space, and towels. If you are constantly defeated by yourself, what's the point? Is there more to this "subconscious desire to lose"? I hope so because he'd be beaten by the paper boy, because ha has to lose.

I know that not all comics are the bastion of writing, but if you have a subconscious desire to lose doesn't it make any plan a foregone conclusion? No wonder he can't get in Death's pants...

I believe desiring passage into Death's pants is the motivation for his wanting to lose. I think it's a "wants to die but hasn't found anyone who can kill him yet" problem: he sets out to draw as much lethal attention to himself as possible in the hopes that someone who responds will be able to do the deed. A suicidal immortal, in other words.

If he actually won one of his universe-altering schemes, it would likely make it even harder for him to die, so "winning" would be counter to his goals.

It's contrived, but it makes sense if you allow for twisted logic, which is what dealing with psychopaths is all about, really.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.