Aetheria: The Shadow War [Fairy Tale Crossover! ALL NEEDED! Free Cake!]

Started by Vergil Tanner, June 07, 2018, 06:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

And we have a reservation from Codexa for The Monkey King. Places are still available, so slot in your reservations and get your bios out when you can! :D
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Vergil Tanner

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

VonDoom

Still very WIP, but figured I might as well post something to give an idea of what I'm doing.

Story Book Title/Fable:
The Grand Vizier Jafar (1001 Nights Frame Story, advising role)
Grand Vizier (Aladdin and his Wonderful Lamp, antagonistic role)
Duban (The tale of the vizier and the sage Duban, protagonist role)
Ja'far ibn Yahya (The Three Apples, The Tale of Attaf; protagonist role)

Character Name: The Grand Vizier Jafar
Sexual Preference:  Bisexual (prefers feminine beauty, regardless of actual sex and/or gender). Polygamous.
Face Claim: Khaled Nabawy
Physical Description: Describe what your character looks like, physically. Include any distinctive features such as scars, and favoured fashion.
to be added

Background:
Adding a background, since he incorporates multiple tales and is quite different from the most commonly known version of his character:
There was an age, a golden age and a perfect city, where the sun shone forever and the streets were full of adventure, of mysteries and wonder. This city was the jewel, the perfect city that would forever be remembered: it was Baghdad.

There lived Ja'far ibn Yahya Barmaki. He was chief advisor and trusted friend to the caliph, Harun al-Rashid, who was the greatest caliph who ever lived. Together, they had many adventures. Because the caliph was his friend, like he, Ja'far had many wives and beautiful young men to attend him and ease his worries, all fair and gentle and pleasing beyond compare -- except when held against the harem of the caliph himself, whose wives and other pretty companions were even more so.

He also had two daughters. Scheherazade and Dunyazad, both more beautiful than any of his servants. Beautiful enough that Scheherazade became the wife of King Shaheryar, who was the king of kings and ruled all of Persia. (But that is another story of stories, one that would take a thousand and one nights to tell in full).

Far more important was the matter of a beggar, a thief and vagabond, whose name was Aladdin. The vizier in his wisdom knew of a cave that held within a wonderful oil lamp that would grant wishes. Though he himself possessed a ring of similar quality, he knew that there was great danger if such power fell into the wrong hands.

These hands belonged to Aladdin. Led to the cave by a greedy sorcerer lusting after the powerful artifact, he retrieved the lamp and used it to his own ends -- to become wealthy, to pretend to be a prince and -- most sordid of all, to ensnare the heart of the princess! The wilful daughter of Harun al-Rashid,  Badroulbadour (whose name, oddly, Jafar can only remember as Jasmine ever since the Bubble popped), who had been engaged to Ja'far's own son. Ja'far attempted to halt these violations, but was instead named villain and betrayer when Aladdin came out ahead in their brief conflict.

The Golden Age of Baghdad was thus ended. The Vizier despaired of this and was eventually executed.

Personality:
Jafar is a man of strict principles, of the scholastic arts - as both he must constantly find a middle ground between these principles and the open mind that being a good advisor and scholar demands. Though wise and eager to assist with any mystery or seemingly impossible problem, the grand vizier has an innate desire for more knowledge that sometimes blinds him and makes him act against his better judgement. He can also be dismissive and, of late, due to the events around Aladdin, even aggressive towards those reaching beyond their station. He still believes in the rightfulness of their caste system.

The Moment The Bubble Popped:
Jafar was literally pulled away from his own execution, just as the blade came down for his neck. It was a rather pleasant surprise when he realized that he had not entered the afterlife, but breached into a new, more enlightened state of existence. He spent a good amount of time pondering his new understanding until he came to the conclusion that his past experiences were no less valid for it. Placed in many different stories and faced with many different situations, he had always been himself and at the end of the day, he was satisfied with himself, if not with his most commonly repeated final moments.

He still considers Baghdad during its golden age as the perfect city, but realizes all that was needed to topple it was one tiny cog jumping out of its place. If all the power and wisdom he had accumulated amounted to so little compared against one thief stumbling upon great power, then what benefit is there in trying to recreate it? And what charge could possibly compare to his great old friend, Harun al-Rashid, especially in face of the betrayal Jafar had always faced in the end?

All that in mind, he still seeks to act as an advisor -- but in this new age and world, in a city that in many ways is as barbaric as any of the western travelers he had encountered in his past, why should he do so without a benefit of his own? He has grown jaded and offers advise to those who pay for it. If laws are needed and must be established, then he will assist, but whoever is to keep the reigns will never have his full and entire trust as had his former caliph.

Skills, Abilities and Powers:
Of the wise men in the court of the caliph Harun al-Rashid, praised be his name, Ja'far was the wisest, the most cunning and learned. He held many secrets and wonders. He was wise in the magics and sorceries of men and of spirits. His appearance changed as easily as the flow of a rivulet. He could be young and strong, he could be old and wrinkled, he could even be man or woman if he so desired. The spirits of the Earth heeded his call, for he knew them, and even knew the true names of the elements. It is said he even possessed the secret of immortality and had tried to share it with his great friend, the caliph, but could not.

Vizier
The Grand Vizier is the most prominent advisors in existence, rivaled only by a few other legendary figures such as, for example, Merlin. He is a polymath learned in many things and has been an architect, an engineer and physician; an alchemist, a politician, a hero, a villain -- at least to rogues and the enemies of his former caliph -- his efforts on such subjects have mostly limited themselves to guidance rather than active involvement. As a result, his efforts tend to suffer if he is pressured or cannot properly ponder a problem.

Spirit Magic
Jafar may command lesser spirits and can speak to and implore greater ones to serve him in exchange for payment, which may range from physical goods to esoteric action to owing undefined favors. He has bound lesser elemental spirits to himself and may conjure flame, use earth magic to bolster himself and others.

The ability to travel through the air by wind or heal and purify with water magic was lost to him with the transition, as were a number of powerful magical tools and artifacts.

Unique Item:
The Ring of Wishes - Once, it housed a jinn and was an artifact as powerful as the magical lamp that changed the fate of a common thief and made him a prince. The jinn was eventually released from its service, but it still retained some magic. In Aetheria, Jafar found that he could use it to call forth another spirit he had bound to himself. A ghul who acts as his servant and protector.

Faridah (NPC)

Age: Mid-Thirties, existed since the dawn of fabled Baghdad
Sexual Orientation: Humanoids. Very focused on oral since it holds special dom/sub/trust significance for her due to her ghul-ish eating habits.
Relationship Status: Maintains casual intimacy with a number of lovers.

Bio:  Jafar's servant, a female ghul. She is a lesser shapeshifting demon who used to terrorize the deserts and feast upon unsuspecting humans in the shape of a bestial hyena, until she was captured and imprisoned. Being offered the opportunity to save herself from being put to death if she would abandon her monstrous ways and take a civilized form, she accepted and has since served as a loyal retainer. She maintains the shape of a beautiful Arabic woman, but prefers to wear traditionally male garb while she works. She now satisfies her inhuman appetites with the occasional extra-bloody steak. Ghuls are distant cousins to jinn, which is perhaps why she has ended up tied to the ring upon Jafar's middle finger. She needs to rest within it for at least eight hours each day lest she be drawn back into it at sunrise and forced to remain for a day and a night.

Abilities: As a demon, she can change her form to many terrifying or pleasing shapes and possesses supernatural physical attributes -- toughness, strength, speed and ferocity all well above your average mortal. When in her true form, her strength increases along with her size and she also gains a deadly poisonous bite.

Home / Profession:
Jafar has taken residence in the Luxury district, where he offers advice to others in exchange for goods, services and future favors. This can be anything: from business strategy to relationship advice to tactics for coping with their new existence and many more. Employing his former status and reputation he has worked hard to frame this service as something exclusive, something desirable and expensive that will always be of great benefit to those who partake in it.

He has also taken to giving advice as well as lending resources 'on credit' with individuals he believes capable of delivering upon such promises, despite the lack of functional currency. To ensure that they do not default, the agreement is that if payment does not occur as discussed, Faridah is the one who comes to collect -- though she has not revealed her true form in Ariathelm so far, Jafar has been certain to seed rumors of her ghul nature.

His residence doubles as a store for luxury goods during the day, in which Faridah peddles some of the surplus material good-payments he doesn't need.

Turn Ons: What gets your characters motor running? Formidable and wilful women, submissive harem girls, pretty and feminine men, intelligence, polygamy
Turn Offs: What gets your characters motor running away?
Aladdin. Ugliness. Unlawfulness (except with righteous cause). Foolish behaviour.

Theme Song: Go on. You know you want to.

Connections: This will be filled out later.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Vergil Tanner

Ooooh, nice! Looks good so far, and I like the angle you're taking with him!

Just a few things to consider when finishing up the Bio:

1) Maybe flesh out his "Powers" a bit more. Commanding Lesser Spirits sounds good, but that doesn't actually tell us what he can do with those spirits, y'know? Some more specific feats could help, so make sure you give examples of what he can do with those spirits, limitations to what he can accomplish and examples of things that are "Too Much." The idea is that, with Aetheria in such chaos, magic has been weakened significantly. He will get stronger as the game progresses, of course, but at the start...well, make sure you consider his limitations and word it such that we, as GM's, understand what his limitations and capabilities are as well. :-)

2) Onto his Ghul. I love the idea of him having a Ghul familiar, but just ensure that it doesn't get strong enough to warrant being counted as a second character :P Like, looking at it, it basically reads like a ravenous man-eating version of Captain America, so...maybe specify what its physical capabilities are, and maybe tone it down a little to fit the role of sidekick in a low-magic (initially, anyway) setting. Again, she'll get stronger as she goes, but maybe consider that specifying how super her abilities are might be an idea.

3) Just consider why this character would be drawn to intervene in Aetheria's demise. As written, I find myself wondering "why would he give a shit?" :P But that's an easy one to answer, so I'm just wondering what you had in mind. :P

Anyway, besides those three things to consider, he looks good so far and I can't wait to see what he looks like when completed! :D

VonDoom

Sorry, probably should have mentioned that the entries I do have, history aside, aren't quite the finished product either.  ;D

Definitely useful input, should be helpful when I get the chance to work more on it. I'll probably have a finished proposal in a couple of days.

Meanwhile, to explain his sorcery entry and my intentions with it - - basically, the only thing he can do in his own with it at current is the bit of fire and earth magic due to previous arrangements, anything else would be ic bartering with spirits via the GM, with limits to what the local spirits can do and the prices that they demand for their services declared by you guys. Kind of like the Spirit sphere in Mage the Ascension if you're familiar. I'll expand and explain all that properly for the next version.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Vergil Tanner

Oh, I get that! They were just things to consider :-)

As for the sorcery, expansion and explanation is probably good, as well as possibly explaining what you mean by "Earth and fire." Summoning flames is simple enough, but things like "Bolstering with Earth" might require a bit of an explanation ;)

As for the "Spirits of The Land," Ja'far might find them few and far between, given the state of the rest of the world. xD

Vergil Tanner

Murvoen

I've glanced this over and I'm going to bookmark this to come back and read the full thing in a bit because this sounds like it could be incredibly fun to join ^^
Back after a very long hiatus!! And I hope to be back for good this time!

Vergil Tanner

It will be! Not that I'm Bias or anything :P

We'd love to have you, Murvoen ^_^ Just let us know as soon as you have a character in mind you'd like to reserve and we can put that on the list for you :D

Murvoen

I think I'll give the big bad wolf some redemption. Are gender bends allowed?

Vergil Tanner

Gender Bends are indeed allowed, so long as you either:

A) Present some rationalisation (EG, the Fable never outright said they checked. They just assumed!)
B) Make the character aware that they have, for some reason, been Genderbent.

Though I will say, we are running low on males, so a male character would also be welcomed with open arms :P

Vergil Tanner

And the main post has been updated with your reservation! I look forward to seeing what you have for us :-3

Murvoen

Story Book Title/Fable:
Little Red Riding Hood
The Three Little Pigs
The Boy Who Cried Wolf
The Seven Little Kids
Character Name: Nathaniel "Big Bad" Wolfe
Sexual Preference: Bisexual

Face Claim: Brock O'Hurn
Physical Description: 6'6" in height and pure muscle. Clothes are chosen more for practicality than any sort of fashion, hence a closet full of jeans and solid colored t-shirts. The only scar he has is the one around his throat from where the hunter would always cut his head off.

Personality: He wishes he could forget everything he's done and the punishments he's suffered for it. Nobody wants to remember eating children and drowning with a belly full of stones after all. He's doing what he can to atone though by offering himself as muscle for hire. Nathaniel protects the weak for no more than a meal, and even if sometimes his work takes him outside the law he does it for the right reasons now.

Since leaving his story he's developed a strict moral code and has proven himself loyal to a fault. He'll protect those he's sworn to with tooth and claw and isn't above punishing those the law overlooks. His temper is as fierce as it ever was, though he does his damnedest to keep it in check. The last thing he wants to do is remind people why they used to fear him.

The Moment The Bubble Popped: He was no longer a wolf. He was man with an axe at his throat. It was the one that had become the most popular death to use. Cutting open a beast and filling him with stones had become too gruesome. More importantly, and to the shock of all there, he sobbed. The weight if everything he'd done time and time again crashed down on him like 100 axes, each one cutting deeper than the last. He was sickened with himself and could do nothing but grieve for the first few days.

But Nathaniel soon realized that all that grieving did no good. He'd been a monster. Had died like a dog again and again. Mourning and beating himself up would get him nowhere. He had to move forward, and that meant taking this chance to be reborn. To change and atone for all the years of horror and grief he himself had caused. It hadn't been easy to convince people he'd changed, but he didn't give up.

Skills, Abilities and Powers: He may have a human shape, but the wolf still lives inside.
Enhanced senses: His sense of sight, sound, and smell are all on par with that of a wolf.

Wolfen shape: He can take the form of a bipedal wolf fully capable of human speech. It provides him with superhuman strength, speed and stamina (think Captain America levels). However, it costs a great deal of energy to make the transformation back to human, and the longer he stays in that shape the harder and more painful it is to go back. He fears that should be stay a wolf for too long he could reach a point of no return. In addition, silver and wolfsbane become dangerous tools that can be used against him.

Unique Item: The axe of the hunter who killed him. The hunter of his story did not make it though his weapon did, and Nathaniel took it for his own. In his use of it he's found it never dulls, and should he leave it somewhere the moment he needs it the axe will appear nearby within reach.

Home / Profession:
Nathaniel's Cabin

Currently works as security or hired muscle for whoever hires him at the time. For those low on money and in need he's more than happy to help them for no more than a hot meal and a thanks. When work is slow he'll offer woodcutting services and to do odd jobs and physical labor for those around town.

Turn Ons:
Rough Sex
Biting/Scratching
Bondage (Giving)
Dom/sub as Dom
Anal (Giving)
Oral
Teasing
Competition
Outdoor/Public Sex
Spanking
Choking
Force
Turn Offs:
Being Bound
Being Topped
Receiving Anal

Theme Song:
Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood

Connections: This will be filled out later.

More Pictures

Vergil Tanner

No problemo! I look forward to seeing what you've got in store for us! If you have any questions or ideas you're uncertain of, don't hesitate to ask us for clarification or advice :-)

Murvoen

Vergil Tanner

Right-ho! Give us a few shakes of a lambs tail to read it and converse, and we shall get back to you ASAP! :D

Vergil Tanner

Ok, so! Pen and I have had a chinwag, and there are two things we would like to put to you :-)

1) Obviously, we'd like you to PM us the Writing Prompt when you can :-)

2) The "Special Abilities" section is a bit too powerful. We don't mind you having the "Super Senses" in his Human Form, but we'd like you to do three things for us:
- Remove his "Superhuman Abilities" in his human form. We feel like his Super Strength and Agility and whatnot should only be accessible when he's in his Wolf Shape. That way it's more of a powerup, y'know?
- Give the Wolf a Drawback or Limiter of some description. This could be a specific emotion he has to feel (Like The Hulk), it could be a time limit (He can only stay in the shape for a short amount of time) or some kind of weakness that limits its effectiveness as to why he doesn't just "Wolf Out" at the start of every fight.
- Would you mind specifying just how strong / fast / tough the wolf is? Like, give us some limits on what it can and can't do, so we have a benchmark of how tough it is. Is it Captain America levels, or Thor levels, for example?

And on a personal note, I would like to ask; his unique item being the woodsmans axe is a brilliant touch and I love it, but could you tell me...does it have any unique attributes, or is it "Just" an axe?

Looking forward to hearing from you! :D

Murvoen

I can most certainly tweak those things :) I'm about to turn in for the night, and I might be busy this weekend, but I can have all that for you by Monday  ;D

Vergil Tanner

Awesome, no problem! Besides that, I don't believe there's anything else to say :D

Murvoen

There we go! Tweaks have been made and I've sent the writing prompt your way :)

Vergil Tanner

Awesome possum! Now just let us chinwag for a bit and we shall get back to you :D

Vergil Tanner

Alright so! After a chat, we are gonna greenlight and accept your Bio! Well done! :D

One thing though; we're fine with him having that reputation, spread by other people who came from his fables in town (NPC's, mostly), so long as you don't abuse that fame IG by having everybody know who they are and offer tribute and stuff, and accept that as GM's, we might choose to use it against him at certain points. :P If that's ok...then welcome aboard! :D

Murvoen

No worries ^^ I didn't have any intention of using it that way. It was just flavor for his backatory. I also have no qualms about it being used by you and the other GM at any point.

I look forward to when we get started  ;D

Vergil Tanner

Not a problem at all ^_^

OK SO.

We're still waiting for some completed bios, but I think we're gonna give it roughly another week. We hope to have the threads up next Wednesday, so people can start playing in the sandbox before shit gets fucked. :P

If you want to join, don't hesitate on throwing up a bio!!

Levi

A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated