Space Hunger Games (seeking co-gm and players) Sci-Fi/Survival Genre

Started by Mr BadGuy, August 02, 2014, 04:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr BadGuy

Plot

Somewhat new into the space age, humans have joined the Intergalactic Distribution Alliance (IDA) with many other races from all across the galaxy. Trade agreements are made, specialty groups are established as these humans go out to interact with the other sentient beings. However, a new process has been introduced in order to decide which race gets to settle newly found planets and solar systems. Instead of the first come first, and strongest take all method humans are used to, instead each race contending for the planet is given an equal opportunity to claim the planet, through a game of survival.

Those most fit and willing to fight for the glory of their race volunteer for these "Survival Games" where they are sent to new worlds with nothing but the clothes they're wearing and some starting gear in order to see who survives the longest on this new planet, which will determine which race is better fitted to control it.

However, these are not random races selected. Typically, the races who provide the most resources needed to get to the planet get their champions submitted, and those who merely spectated, continue to spectate unless they have some obscure claim to the planet, such as it fitting the description of the homeland of their gods. Otherwise, whoever has the funding to send their people get to.

The benefits? Many beings across the universe watch this real survival show, where blood occurs between the races, people die, alliances are formed. It's entertainment and distribution of planets at the same time. The longer a pair lasts, the more money is repaid to those who got them there. And of course, the winner (or winners) of this survival game get the planet to do as they please with. If their race ends up failing on the planet, it gets retried for the next competitors.

Game

For this role play, I'm looking for someone to help GM with me (creating the planet/s, indigenous races, etc) and players for the game! Typically, only two beings from each race are allowed to make their attempt at survival, however in certain cases (hive minds, mini-species, or macro-species) that rule might change. The players would be fighting against each other and this new environment in this game.

-The planets will be very new, and all semi-hospitable to the races contributing, otherwise they wouldn't be there.
- - - - ~Most will have preexisting life, vegetation and animals, bacteria etc
- - - - ~Players will be given heads-up on what they can and can't eat in order to avoid early elimination
- - - - ~Extra races may be included to provide deaths, similar to unnamed side characters in stories who die for the sake of death
- - - - ~Players must be willing to have their characters die in the role play. It's a game of survival
- - - - ~Although genre is sci-fi, there will be little pew-pewing and lightsabering because the idea behind the game isn't who has better tech to send, it's which race is better equipped to survive on the planet.

-The races don't have to be humanoid by any means, but they do have to be sentient and intelligent enough to be able to travel between solar systems and possibly galaxies.
- - - - ~This allows you to design your own alien/species (as long as it isn't too OP) or use a species from a different canon, video game, movie, book series etc as long as it is properly explained.
- - - - ~Sexual relations is permitted, but must be agreed on between players as always. If they agree on Non-Con scene, so be it.
- - - - ~Sex is NOT the goal of the role play, however. People submitting races or characters that are fueled by intercourse may be denied for the role-play. This is a survival game. Katniss didn't go around ducking dick.
- - - - ~Thinking about alien-submission for trying to play the game, seems simple enough... Or creating races people can fill in for.

-I'm thinking this RP could be repeated after one game ends, for the idea that many different planets can be selected for this type of situation. New characters, possibilities etc...

-If enough popularity is accrued, game could be expanded
- - - - ~Teams instead of couples
- - - - ~More races controlled by characters instead of NPCs

-Game would run based off of the races and planet as well as luck-based (d20's thrown by GM or something like that)
- - - - ~Predetermined winner might be a good solution as long as everyone can play maturely and not kill off their character early on because they know they won't win. Trying your hardest and whatnot to make the role-play fun.
- - - - ~Certain races more suited for planet/areas. Aquatic aliens, for example may have to stay near a body of water

-Random thoughts
- - - - ~Sentient beings could be based off of myths/legends
- - - - - - - - >Vampiric race, race of shapeshifters, draconic race etc... Elven race
- - - - - - - - >Subraces grouped into major categories? Elven human-types originating in other solar system like Earth's? Maybe they team up in this world. Not sure. Open to creation.
- - - - ~Races can't be too OP or else it won't be fun for everyone.
- - - - ~Idea is that everyone has fun surviving the obstacles thrown their way, possible even enjoying the thrill of a brush with death
- - - - ~Less sex-oriented. Say sex only occurs because one race has decided that instead of killing opposition, may breed it and drag it along as a subjugated race. (Or something like that) Again, only if agreed on by players and GM.

Species

Kenghis
Race
The Khengis are a proud race of barbarian warriors. They tend to be technologically late, but compensate with the hunting routines they kept from their ancestors.
Their whole body remind everybody of snakes. Big, fat snakes. Measuring an average of five to six meters, tail included, one of their tactics is to ensnare their opponent and strangle them with their tail, if not straight up crush them.
They have upper appendages that could remind one of humanoids, with some kind of torso from which protrude two arms. Their head also resembles that of a snake, with a cruel set of teeth along the jaw and cruel, wide-set eyes.

The race is divided into two casts, the upper one claiming the best fighting abilities while the lower one has better resilience and ground... adherence, shall we say. Indeed, the Higher Kenghis, though they sport a usually shorter tail, have four arms attached to their torso. Which obviously makes them better at pretty much everything, from holding a shield longer to swinging multiple weapons. The length difference in the tail is often of around a meter, but genetic diversity has created some terrifyingly full-sized Higher Kenghis.

All of this happy bunch is ruled by the Council. This reunion of five Upper Kenghis rules over most of the main continent of the planet. "Most", because the rest is at war. The fives like to think of themselves as civilized and conquering barbarian lands, when they are, instead, just more organized.
The result is an empire constantly at war, expanding itself in every direction where they are not met by water. The main continent being surprisingly large, the Kenghis have never had a need for deep-water transportation.

What was their surprise, then, when similar vessels came down from the skies, bearer of many creatures, eager to meet them. The Kenghis were rudely and unhealthily melded into the galactic affairs.

EDIT:
As mighty hunters as they might seem, the Kenghis are NOT perfect. Much like a snake, their body is very bad at maintaining core temperature. Unlike your average python, however, they eat a liiiittle bit more than once a week. As a result, they don't need to spend just as much time using their environment to regulate their temperature.
In a temperate climate, an average Kenghis needs to spend about two hours on a nice, warm rock to keep his body temperature up.

Also, their hunting technique involves a lot of sneaking around and stalking. For this, having dragging along a five-meter-long tail is rarely the most adequate feature.

Kenghis images

Humans

One of the later races to enter into intergalactic territory, humans were faced with the choice to colonize other solar systems as their home planet crumbled to the effects of pollution and global warming. Humans remained one of the most plentiful species throughout the stars, but their way of life drastically changed, as well as the meaning of what it was to be human. Social boundaries such as skin color and background faded away, and they were more concerned about their place in the universe.

Many other races had already adapted to galactic travel, and since humans had only recently developed warp-drive technology, their expanse was few, controlling only a few solar systems given by IDA for them. With a little bit of technology, humans are prepared for anything, and will be partaking in their first Survival Games.

Disrops

Images

My search thread: In progress ^_^

Mr BadGuy

Update:

Added a lot of information.

No direct specifics yet.

Please ask in this thread if you have questions! That continually bumps the thread for me <3

Mr BadGuy

Update:

Added more information that popped into my head. May be returning to add more at random times.

Mr BadGuy

Vonandi

I'm not sure how serious you are in starting this since this is a huge necrobump but I'm interested.

Mr BadGuy

Quote from: Ithnuul on March 18, 2016, 09:06:06 PM
I'm not sure how serious you are in starting this since this is a huge necrobump but I'm interested.

Yeah, I started the thread with the intention of updating it and I forgot about it. Very serious about starting this as a group role play, if I find takers like you. Any thoughts on it so far?

DazzlingCockroach

I, for one, am very interested! I had a character concept for a friend's game, but he took a break in GMing, so I'm gonna use it here.

Race
The Khengis are a proud race of barbarian warriors. They tend to be technologically late, but compensate with the hunting routines they kept from their ancestors.
Their whole body remind everybody of snakes. Big, fat snakes. Measuring an average of five to six meters, tail included, one of their tactics is to ensnare their opponent and strangle them with their tail, if not straight up crush them.
They have upper appendages that could remind one of humanoids, with some kind of torso from which protrude two arms. Their head also resembles that of a snake, with a cruel set of teeth along the jaw and cruel, wide-set eyes.

The race is divided into two casts, the upper one claiming the best fighting abilities while the lower one has better resilience and ground... adherence, shall we say. Indeed, the Higher Kenghis, though they sport a usually shorter tail, have four arms attached to their torso. Which obviously makes them better at pretty much everything, from holding a shield longer to swinging multiple weapons. The length difference in the tail is often of around a meter, but genetic diversity has created some terrifyingly full-sized Higher Kenghis.

All of this happy bunch is ruled by the Council. This reunion of five Upper Kenghis rules over most of the main continent of the planet. "Most", because the rest is at war. The fives like to think of themselves as civilized and conquering barbarian lands, when they are, instead, just more organized.
The result is an empire constantly at war, expanding itself in every direction where they are not met by water. The main continent being surprisingly large, the Kenghis have never had a need for deep-water transportation.

What was their surprise, then, when similar vessels came down from the skies, bearer of many creatures, eager to meet them. The Kenghis were rudely and unhealthily melded into the galactic affairs.

EDIT:
As mighty hunters as they might seem, the Kenghis are NOT perfect. Much like a snake, their body is very bad at maintaining core temperature. Unlike your average python, however, they eat a liiiittle bit more than once a week. As a result, they don't need to spend just as much time using their environment to regulate their temperature.
In a temperate climate, an average Kenghis needs to spend about two hours on a nice, warm rock to keep his body temperature up.

Also, their hunting technique involves a lot of sneaking around and stalking. For this, having dragging along a five-meter-long tail is rarely the most adequate feature.

Kenghis images

Character
Salar, son of Ular, has been trained as a warrior since childhood, as tradition wills it. His growth has been slow, but has kept on for an impressive time, and few are the Lower Kenghis with a longer tail. That, and his proficiency in the arts of war, made him a favourite among the Council. He was chosen during his early adulthood to lead a squad, which quickly turned into a legion after he conquered his fair chunk of uncharted land. Those he didn't kill, he took under his commands. And those who didn't obey, he killed. Ruling with an iron fist on his troops, he has been a successful conqueror, until the Council told him about something bigger to conquer...
That day, Salar decided this new planet would be his.

How the Council mustered the influence to get their race into the game, he doesn't know, nor cares. Just like he doesn't know about the precious minerals covering the insides of his home planet.

Mr BadGuy

Quote from: DazzlingCockroach on March 22, 2016, 05:15:18 PM
I, for one, am very interested! I had a character concept for a friend's game, but he took a break in GMing, so I'm gonna use it here.

I really like the Khengis, and your interest. My only concern would be for a lack of an obvious weakness. Do you have any weaknesses in mind with the biological aspects of the Khengis, or possibly an issue with their large size?

DazzlingCockroach

Well, as much as their hunting techniques involve prawling in the bushes to get the jump on their prey, their size IS a problem when sneaking around. Also, another thing they have in common with snakes: their body doesn't regulate its own temperature. Their diet do make them able to not spend half of their day trying to find the right spot and the other half adjusting their temperature, but in a temperate climate, they do need to spend about 2 hours a day on a nice, warm rock to raise their temperature. I'll add it to the post.

Mr BadGuy

Ah, so cold areas are tougher for them to handle when compared to warm-blooded creatures. I'm assuming that the human part of the body (waist up?) is just slightly bigger than a normal human's?

DazzlingCockroach

They do fare very poorly in cold climate, and the torso part is comparable to that of a large human. It's proportional to the width of the tail.

Mr BadGuy

Alright, I'll take that in mind when thinking up the planet ^_^

I was thinking that we could start with a minimum of 6 people if we were to do 2 for each species. If someone wanted to double up and play both characters of a species, we could probably go with as many as 4 people. Or, I could pick up the slack for one species if the creator doesn't want to play both..

I think I'll add a new subsection to the intro post for the races, and add yours in there as well as humans, and perhaps another sample race someone can take.

Mr BadGuy