News:

Main Menu

Recipe/s/

Started by Caliban, November 08, 2009, 12:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliban

LONE-STAR TWO-STEP THREE-POT FOUR-O'CLOCK FIVE-ALARM SIX-GUN SEVEN-CHAKRA CHILI:
(Makes 4 to 6 servings.)

1-2 lbs protein (meat, beans, and/or tofu)
1-2 lbs whole crushed tomatoes
1 lb diced onions
1 lb diced bell pepper
1 lb vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and/or carrots) (SECRET INGREDIENT)
16 oz water
16 oz beer (SECRET INGREDIENT)
2 oz each of the following:
   cayenne (red) pepper
   chili powder
   cinnamon (SECRET INGREDIENT)
   cumin
   garlic
   jalapeno peppers
   masa (corn flour) (SECRET INGREDIENT)
   oregano
   paprika
   saffron (optional)
   vinegar

Technically one should brown the meat and then saute the onions, bell peppers, and vegetables, but I almost always skip that step; I just combine all the ingredients in one big pot and simmer for at least an hour, preferably two to four, stirring occasionally.  I add the masa flour at the end of cooking because once it's in the mix, I have to stir constantly to avoid burning it.

TOPPINGS:
Sliced Jalapenos
Diced onions
Salsa
Spices (chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, potassium)
Sauces (Tabasco, jalapeno)
Sour cream
Shredded cheese
Spanish (yellow) rice (technically not a topping, since the chili is served on top of it)

"All jocks think about is sports.  All nerds think about is sex." Somewhere at the edge of the bell curve is the girl for me.
"Take off your clothes.  And roll for initiative." I burn for you: I Cor. 7:9
System RP: Shadows of Terramar (d20 fantasy) * Pulp Scripture (WoD contemporary supernatural) * Perfidious Albion (GURPS steampunk)
Do the rocks in my head fit the holes in yours? --> Oohs and Ahhs
Meae Culpae (A&A)

Caliban

CHICKEN STEW

Into a large pot, put  just enough water to cover the bottom.

Fill the pot with frozen chicken leg quarters (and/or possibly other pieces) as high as possible while still being able to put the cover on.

Cover and simmer on low heat, just enough for the water to actually be simmering.

Continue to simmer for four to six hours, adjusting the temperature as necessary.

The frozen chicken pieces will have enough juices and water frozen in them to bring the water level about halfway up the pot.

Keeping the heat down to a simmer will prevent the chicken pieces from burning.

Keeping the pot covered will cause the steam to permeate the pieces, resulting in thorough cooking and also keeping them juicy.

Cooking the chicken for several hours will make the meat so tender that it may literally fall off the bones when you try to lift the pieces out of the pot, and may even make the bones themselves soft and chewy.

Using only the water and juices that are already in the chicken pieces, plus whatever is necessary to cover the bottom of the pot at the start, will ensure that the stew is thick and rich.

Add diced vegetables and continue to simmer another 30 to 60 minutes.  (I prefer to add carrots, onions, and frozen broccoli and/or cauliflower, and sometimes celery and/or diced potatoes.)
"All jocks think about is sports.  All nerds think about is sex." Somewhere at the edge of the bell curve is the girl for me.
"Take off your clothes.  And roll for initiative." I burn for you: I Cor. 7:9
System RP: Shadows of Terramar (d20 fantasy) * Pulp Scripture (WoD contemporary supernatural) * Perfidious Albion (GURPS steampunk)
Do the rocks in my head fit the holes in yours? --> Oohs and Ahhs
Meae Culpae (A&A)

Lady Annabelle

All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus