Seeking Legendary Monsters (3.5 DnD, lots custom rules)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, April 08, 2015, 05:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sain

Probably wouldn't want the tome. You need to be careful not to pick skill stuff with competence bonus as you're already getting +10 to that from paragon template :P
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Zaer Darkwail

Well, tome is good because normal lore gem storage is 30 spells, which is average 3 spells per level up to 9 (+3 to any level), which is too little for wizard. With BBB tome the limit goes to +100 spells per level (as BBB's cap is 1,000 spells).

avorae

Ok Zaer I have finished settling on my Magical items The rest of the things I may buy will just be basic gear...

Here is what i have came up with:
Silk Cord of Hallowed Ancestors 75,000

Any creature Wearing this belt gains a +5 resistance bonus to saves and +5 armor bonus to AC, as well as immunity to all harmful vapors/gases, death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects (such as from chill touch or inflict spells).  This is a continuous effect and requites no activation.
   Furthermore the Belt provides a constant bubble of fresh clean air allowing the wearer to breath in any type of enviroment including underwater and outerspace.

Heward's Handy Haversack, 2,000gp
Headband of Wisdom +6, 36,000gp
Ring of Physical Might [+4 Str, +4 Dex, Strongarm Bracers], 38,000 
Torc of striking [Wraithstrike and Bloodwind at will], 14,000
Novice Shadow Hands of Shadow Jaunt [50' Teleport once per encounter], 3,000
Fleet warriors array 26,000
   Bracers of Blinding strike [Extra attack with full attack 3/day]
   Sandals of the light step [Pass without trace, Not slowed by difficult terrain, waterwalk once per day for 60 minutes]
   Vest of Free Movement [3/day freedom of movement for 3 rounds] 
   Collection Benefits: +2 AC versus AoO, Dimension Door once per day [CL 17]
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

TheGlyphstone

Did you remember to account for the duration multipliers? Continuous Wraithstrike should cost you (level 2*CL3*2000*4)=48,000, and Continuous Blood Wind will cost you (level 1* CL1*2000*4*1.5)=12000, so that torc is tremendously under-costed ATM.

avorae

Alright then I will drop the Wraithstrike from it and just leave the Bloodwind Making the price only 8,000. I'll just pick up Wraithstrike as one of my spells.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 27, 2015, 07:52:27 PM
Did you remember to account for the duration multipliers? Continuous Wraithstrike should cost you (level 2*CL3*2000*4)=48,000, and Continuous Blood Wind will cost you (level 1* CL1*2000*4*1.5)=12000, so that torc is tremendously under-costed ATM.

This is why my minions don't have nipple rings that grand constant sadism and masochism by default
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

schnookums

Yeah, skill bonuses are going to be competence bonuses, which don't benefit me until they're at least +11.

Couple more questions and I swear I'll have a character and suchlike:

I assume that even if I'm using crafting feats the legendary item gross cost still must be 100k? (It says I can only spend 100k on one item but that goes a lot further if I'm making it myself, and the Astaroth Vestige allows me access to any one crafting feat)

How much would the Relic ability of the Tome of Ancient Lore from the MIC cost (Page 189)? I mean, it normally requires the true faith feat to access but the tome only costs 5500 gp normally. I just want the ability to once per day prepare a spell that's not normally in the book like the item does when fully powered.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: schnookums on April 28, 2015, 12:11:12 AM
Yeah, skill bonuses are going to be competence bonuses, which don't benefit me until they're at least +11.

Couple more questions and I swear I'll have a character and suchlike:

I assume that even if I'm using crafting feats the legendary item gross cost still must be 100k? (It says I can only spend 100k on one item but that goes a lot further if I'm making it myself, and the Astaroth Vestige allows me access to any one crafting feat)

How much would the Relic ability of the Tome of Ancient Lore from the MIC cost (Page 189)? I mean, it normally requires the true faith feat to access but the tome only costs 5500 gp normally. I just want the ability to once per day prepare a spell that's not normally in the book like the item does when fully powered.

Are you unable to pay the feat tax. Just because Boccob has that relic in the book doesnt mean your deity couldnt have a similar relic. - As far as legendary item gross cost (market value really) making it yourself has been houserrules as a compromise. Your market price limit is 150k, meaning the cost to you to make it at that price is 75k

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, 75,000gp is crafting limit (when speaking crafted legendary item cost, 150,000gp if buy said item on full cost). So got 50% extra stuff to add into it. Anycase you can customize the said item to different magic deity (like Mystra and in FR the BBB is a Blessed Book of Mystra). But if your unwilling to pay the feat tax....it's hard to give price for it but I guess easiest is to add +20,000gp for it (as ring of evasion cost 20,000gp and in essence you want relic item's full power but without taking the feat, so 20,000gp to mimic true believer feat + get access full relic power).

schnookums

Dear god I think I'm finally done. There's some tiny nitty gritty stuff (mainly calculating DC for various stuff and actually preparing my spells, but otherwise I *think* I'm good. Any suggestion for superawesomenifty spells I didn't put in my book would be fine as I have some cash left over, but otherwise I think I'm just about ready.

Khel'ikenth
Chaotic Neutral Small Dragon
Chaos Monk 12 | Binder 1/Wizard1/Anima Mage 10| Half-Fae Faerie Dragon (8HD)
Languages: All (Polyglot)

Init: +14 Senses: Darkvision 60'
Armor Class: 71/74 (+12 Insight, +12 Luck, +17/20 Monk, +14 Dex, +1 Size, +5 Natural) ,66/69 touch ,57/60 flat-footed
Hit Points: 324 (12d8+84+144)

Saving Throws:
Fort +25/32, Ref +32/39, Will +32/39 (+5 Resistance [Tear of Karsus], +2 Luck {Runestaff of Power])

Speed: 130' Land, 340' Fly(Perfect), 130' Swim

Base Attack:
+12

Melee: Bite +52 (1d6+26), Claw +52 (1d4+26),+52 Faerie Dragon Kung Fu (1d10+41)

Attack Options: Claw/Claw/Bite (+47/+47/+52) or Kung Fu (+52/+47/+42) +1d6+12 additional attacks at +52

Space: 5 feet Reach: 5 feet

Combat Gear: Runestaff of Power (+2/Masterwork Quarterstaff, Monk Weapon, (+54/+49/+44 + Flailing Strike, 1d6+43 damage)

Spell-Like Abilities: Charm Person (At will) Hypnotism (1/Day), Faerie Fire or Glitterdust (1/day)
Detect Law (3/day), Sleep or Enthrall (1/day), Protection from Law (3/day), Tasha's Hideous Laughter or Suggestion (1/day), Confusion or Emotion (1/day), Dancing Lights (At Will), Ghost Sound (At Will), Detect Magic (At will), Charm Monster (3/day), Entangle (3/day), Glitterdust (3/day), Invisibility (3/day), Major Image (3/day), Obscuring Mist (3/day), Animate Objects (1/day), Mind Fog (1/day), Project Image (1/day), Summon Nature's Ally IV (1/day), Commune with Nature (1/month), Greater Dispel Magic (3/day), Haste (3/day), See Invisibility (3/day) 

Abilities: Str 22 (+6), Dex 38 (+14),Con 24 (+7), Int 40/46 (+15/18), Wis 38/44 (+14/+17) , Cha 42/46 (+16/18)

Special Attacks: Breath Weapon (20' Cone of Weedbong420 Breath, Daze for 1d6 rounds)

Special Qualities: Darkvision 60', Immunity to Sleep/Paralysis, Low Light Vision, Scent, Spell Resistance 31, Water Breathing, Fast Healing 20, DR 10/Epic, Fire Resistance 10, Cold Resistance 10, 

Class Abilities: Unarmed Strike, Wisdom Bonus to AC, +30' To moveement, +2 Bonus to AC, Slow Fall 60', Flailing Strike (1d6+12, -0), Improved Evasion,Still Mind, Eratic Advance, Ki Strike (Magic, Chaotic), Freedom of Thought, Displacing Stance (50%),Monk Weapon Mastery,Grace +2  Soul Binding (2 Vestiges, 6th level), Exploit Vestige, Vestigal Awareness, Vestige Metamagic (3/day), Vestige Casting (1/day)

Skills:
Bluff 15 Ranks (+41/43)
Gather Information 10 Ranks (+36/38)
Intimidate 10 Ranks (+36/38)
Concentration 15 Ranks (+32)
Diplomacy 15 Ranks (+41/43)
Escape Artist 10 Ranks (+34)
Hide 15 Ranks (+43)
Knowledge Arcana 15 Ranks (+40/43)
Knowlege Religion 15 Ranks (+40/43)
Knowledge History 15 Ranks (+40/43)
Knowledge The Planes 15 Ranks (+40/43)
Knowledge Nature 10 Ranks (+35/38)
Listen 15 Ranks (+39/+42)
Move Silently 15 ranks (+38)
Sense Motive 10 Ranks (+34/37)
Spot 15 Ranks (+39/+42)
Tumble 10 Ranks (+34)
Spellcraft 15 Ranks (+40/43)
Decipher Script 10 Ranks (+35/38)
Use Magic Device 7 Ranks (CC) (+33/36)
Swim 4 Ranks (+20)
Search 7 Ranks (CC) (+32/35)
Disguise 2 Ranks (CC) (+28/+30)

Feats:
Stunning Fist(B), Deflect Arrows(B), Improved Trip(B), Freezing the Lifeblood(B), Weapon Finesse(B), Scribe Scroll(B), Precocious Apprentice,Improved Binding,Ignore Special Requirement, Expel Vestige, Extend Spell, Persistent Spell,Polyglot

Equipment

Third Eye Clarity
Runestaff of Power
Periapt of Wisdom +6
Handy Haversack
Vestige Phylactery
Rod of Splendor
20,700 gp left over
A complete collection of Beanie Babies (TM)
A 10' statue of Dolph Lundgren made entirely out of Cocaine

Tears of Karsus

A delicately wrought mithril crown decorated with what appears to be rubies

+6 enhancement bonus to Intelligence

+5 Resistance Bonus to Saves

Can act as a spellbook with 1000 Pages (as per Blessed book)

Identify ALL spells cast within 60' of wearer with a spellcraft (15+spell level) check even if the wearer cannot see the casting or effect of the spell. Once per day upon identifying a spell can as an immediate action either attempt to counterspell the spell as per Dispel Magic, or can change the target of the spell to another target within 60'. If an illegal target is chosen then the spell functions normally and the effect is wasted

Provides a +5 competance bonus to Knowledge Arcana & Spellcraft checks. Once per day when preparing spells can prepare a spell that is not contained within the "spellbook". 50% to find a spell that's of the highest spell level the user can cast, otherwise the chance to find a spell is 100%

Spellbook

1st level
Enlarge Person
Nerveskitter
Ray of Clumsiness
Magic Missile
Tenser's Floating Disk
Ray of Enfeeblement
Cause Fear
Protection From Evil
Protection from Good
Shield
Karmic Aura
Guided Shot
Identify
Instant Locksmith
Scholar's Touch
Grease
Wall of Smoke
Mage Armor
Summon Monster I
Silent Image

2nd
Alter Self
Fox's Cunning
Rope Trick
Seeking Ray
Bigby's Warding Hand
Shatter
Ray Of Weakness
Stolen Breath
Escalating Enfeeblement
Arcane Turmoil
Detect Thoughts
Web
Glitterdust
Fog Cloud
Summon Monster II
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Ray of Stupidity
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Touch of Idiocy
Continual Flame
Levitate
Owl's Wisdom
Eagle's Splendor

3rd
Haste
Slow
Shrink Item
Greater Mighty Wallop
Heart of Water
Ray of Exhaustion
Great Thunderclap
Blacklight
Sonorous Hum
Dispel Magic
Magic Circle again Evil
Magic Circle against Good
Karmic Backlash
Unluck
Sleet Storm
Stinking Cloud
Summon Monster III
Bands of Steel
Phantasmal Strangler
Vertigo Field
Mask of the Ideal
Ray of Dizziness
Suggestion
Hold person
Secret Page
Fireball
Lightning Bolt

4th
Polymorph
Heart of Earth
Perfect Summons
Celerity
Voice of the Dragon
Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere
Defenestrating Sphere
Enervation
Fear
Dimensional Anchor
Dispelling Screen
Assay Spell Resistance
Scrying
Evard's Black Tentacles
Dimension Door
Solid Fog
Summon Monster IV
Greater Mirror Image
Shadow Conjuration
Charm Monster
Confusion
Crushing Despair
Cone of Cold

5th
Draconic Polymorph
Telekinesis
Heart of Fire
Wall of Force
Spiritwall
Magic Jar
Refusal
Spell Theft
Break Enchantment
Dismissal
Prying Eyes
Planar Binding, Lesser
Teleport
Wall of Stone
Summon Monster V
Sahdow Evocation
Friend to Foe
Persistant Image
Dominate Person
Feeblemind
Hold Monster
Fabricate
Major Creation

6th
Lesser Dragonshape
Disintigrate
Howling Chain
Contingency
Antimagic Field
Dispel Magic, Greater
Karmic Retribution
Eyes of the Oracle
True Seeing
Planar Binding
Freezing Fog
Summon Monster VI
Gemjump
Geas

Spells Prepared
Cantrips (4):

1st Level (8):

2nd Level (9):

3rd Level (8):

4th Level (6):

5th Level (5):

6th Level (4):

Background
People always remember the great figures from history, for good or for ill. A king might be remembered for his great acts of charity or cruelty, but in turn no history would note who his jester was. As a mage who had dared to heights beyond the greatest hubris, Karsus was well known amongst many. But what scholar would know of his familiar? Khel'ikenth (Khell for short) had served her master loyally even as he had prepared his greatest of magics...and she had been dragged into his fall when he briefly tasted the divine spark. She too briefly shared that power, and when he fell she was almost pulled with him, to a place where even the gods do not know. Karsus might have gone to a place beyond the existence of reality as is known, but Khell's portion of the divine spark had anchored her enough to reality that she did not descend to vestigehood as he had. Still the damange to her body and mind had sent her into the deepest of slumbers, only to awaken to a time far beyond her experience. Now she remains, still trying to serve her master who dwells beyond the veil of unreality

Personality
Khell is technicall "good" but with everything that has happened to her is actually a bit mad. She avoids doing things out of malice but her efforts to help can sometimes be a little disturbing. Her main goal might be considered impossible: The return of Karsus. She sometimes plays "familiar" with budding mages, grooming them with the mad idea that her master would have a 'body' to return to. Having been subservient for so long Khell can be somewhat easy to bully and coerce, not understanding just how powerful she actually is. Sometimes such efforts might cause her to lash out with truly horrific result.

Zaer Darkwail

schnookums: Your char looks indeed ready :). Post her in charsheet section (and perhaps try find cute pic for her dragon form or her prefered humanoid form) and post in OOC as well.

CeruleanSerenity

I think I might be done! I hope... I updated my character sheet here, so let me know if there's anything I still need to do, or anything that needs changing. I hope this works out all right... and I'm sorry again for taking so long.

Kunoichi

I can think of a couple of small things you might want to change, but I haven't really noticed any glaring flaws.

First, you don't necessarily need to work a Ring of Sustenance into your Legendary Item because being an outsider means that you already don't require food or sleep.  It's still somewhat useful because it allows you to recover your spell slots after a mere two hours of rest, rather than the full eight hours, but if you were counting on it to keep yourself from needing to eat, you don't need it for that particular power.

Second, for your feats, Leadership isn't a feat that you can take at first level.  You need to be at least 6th level to take the feat, although that shouldn't be particularly difficult to fix.  You can just rearrange the order of some of your feats and everything should be fine.

Aside from that, it looks like you're good to go. ^^

Zaer Darkwail

Besides points mentioned by Kunoichi the charsheet looks okay and ready to posted in the charsheet thread :).

ulthakptah

You still accepting new applicants? I have a vague idea for something. I like to think of him as the Sentential of the Living Labyrinth. Ideally I want to use a half-doppelganger greathorn minotaur, but I'm not sure it would work. Greathorn minotaur has 11 HD and a CR of 7, half-doppelganger is LA +2 and CR +0. If I do it by CR it works with that home rule that you just take what ever is higher 11 HD instead of the CR of 7. If I do it by the LA it would be HD 11 + LA 2 for a ECL of 13 which is over by 1.

Having a look at some of the other characters I have a feeling I would be weak in comparison, but still seems like fun could be had.

Zaer Darkwail

We use indeed either LA (first most) and if no LA then use CR/HD (whichever is highest) determine what monsters to use. But I can be flexible and allow you take greathorn minotaur half-doppleganger (these rulings are case by case basis though). I am willing take more applications yes, as some workload is shared with other players acting as GM's for other players (in their own solo threads).

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on May 04, 2015, 04:01:08 PM
We use indeed either LA (first most) and if no LA then use CR/HD (whichever is highest) determine what monsters to use. But I can be flexible and allow you take greathorn minotaur half-doppleganger (these rulings are case by case basis though). I am willing take more applications yes, as some workload is shared with other players acting as GM's for other players (in their own solo threads).

Im happy with Atropa but next time you do something like this I want to go hardcore flesh warping Hellraiser cenobite maker, or some "Mother of All Monsters" type that forcibly puts her young into people then watches them burst out rounds later and join the fight.

ulthakptah

Cool, I'll get to work on my character sheet right away.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  Given that we have a sphinx character who's trying to become the architect of a grand interdimensional labyrinth, I'm foreseeing a team-up at some point in the future...

schnookums

Quote...or some "Mother of All Monsters" type that forcibly puts her young into people then watches them burst out rounds later and join the fight.

Am a terrible person for finding this idea extremely intriguing?

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: schnookums on May 04, 2015, 10:55:47 PM
Am a terrible person for finding this idea extremely intriguing?

No. You say "terrible person" I say "Wonderful victim"

Check this creature out:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/drakainia

schnookums

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on May 04, 2015, 11:04:35 PM
No. You say "terrible person" I say "Wonderful victim"

Check this creature out:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/drakainia

The amusing/terrible thing is that Khell would easily survive the damage that the birth causes. Although I personally prefer something a little more drawn out then a matter of less then a minute ;)

ulthakptah

Quote from: Kunoichi on May 04, 2015, 10:53:22 PM
Hmm.  Given that we have a sphinx character who's trying to become the architect of a grand interdimensional labyrinth, I'm foreseeing a team-up at some point in the future...

I was unaware of this. Maybe I should have did a little more then quickly scroll through all the sheets. Somehow I doubt minotaurs and sphinx have the same motives for making labyrinths.

Anywho after looking though the sheets a little harder I may need to rethink my character some. Starting to think the monster I picked is more trouble than it's worth, and hardly seems legendary.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, considering you get to triple gestalt (one path for monster HD/LA, one for martial path and one for mystic) and get slapped a paragon creature template ontop of that, you are legendary monster by default despite what monster you use.

But if you want do some theme with your monster (unparable figther, strongest warrior, most toughest etc), then if see other sheets and if your monster appears weaker it means you need tool it further. Anycase minotaurs navigate mazes very well because they live in them (building is entirely different matter); so sphinx may build a maze and your char could take sphinx epic maze as it's home or become it's guardian or such.

Sain

Yeah if you wanna work your minotaur into going to live in Dynja's maze somehow then I'd be happy to accommodate. He would at least have one very secure maze to play in then.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301