It's only funny because it's true.

Started by Trieste, May 14, 2010, 10:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

This is how I feel every time I get on the phone with an automated menu.

Aiden

Any time I get an automated menu I try to hit 9 or 0, hoping it would get me to an actual person. Sometimes it repeats the damn menu and I only want to smash the phone into the nearest wall.

I truly hate calling my ISP on a technical call since I am forced to go though the menu before I can talk to anyone.

Press one when your computer is on...
Please disconnect the power source from your modem and router for 30 seconds.
Please plug in and watch the status of the lights...

I'm not stupid Cox, I know to do all that crap before calling in! /rage

Beguile's Mistress

That is hilarious and true!

*hugs Aiden*  And if you're a woman, when you do get someone, the man treats you at least as badly as the navigator!

Oniya

http://gethuman.com/

Seems to be still getting updated. (i.e., it hasn't stagnated).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

As a non-native English speaker, I seem to have the opposite problem. I'm just fine with automated instructions, because I can understand them. Most call centres seem to have outsourced to India, and, erm, it's not exactly standard English that you get there. Except for the child benefit helpline. That's in Scotland. Not to say that the accent is much more comprehensible... >.<
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

DarklingAlice

While Lillas does have a point, I would (generally) rather stumble through an indecipherable accent than deal with the menu. Also a number of businesses right here in the USA have them, even retail outlets. It drives me mad.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Inkidu

Well, I can do a myriad of accents and the like. One almost-lucky tech support lady thought she was talking to Sean Connery (it's not perfect but on the phone who can tell) because I was bored at that point with the auto-menu and had started using Sean for fun. Normally I do it in what's called broadcast English (think ten o'clock news and how all the reporters sound the same) and I get through them fine. I do loath them though.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beguile's Mistress

The worst I ever encountered was a young lady from the southern part of the US with an impenetrable accent who spoke like a chipmunk on speed.  She got mad at me when I told her I couldn't understand her and then hung up on me when I asked for her supervisor.

Callie Del Noire

I DESPISE phone automation that is STRICTLY voice controlled. I want the 'If you speak with even a SLIGHT accent please press 1' since for some reason my slight southern drawl is beyond the control of most voice recognition software. I boggle at what some of my poor shipmates who had strong accents (two guys from 'Nawlins' come to mind, as well as about a dozen Philippine residents)