What are you Reading Right Now?

Started by Unnatural Selection, November 22, 2007, 07:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unnatural Selection

Inspired by some other thread in this board, I shouldn't think that it will update as frequently as some others, but you never know.  With any luck, it will trigger some conversations and what have you.

Title:  God is Not Great; How Religion Poisons Everything
Author:  Christopher Hitchens
Here you go

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.
--Carl Sagan

Ariabella

Nothing so noble but:

Title: Murder Walks the Plank
Author: Carolyn Hart

I should say I'm getting ready to start it. I just finished Mistletoe & Murder by Jenna Ryan.
Read my ons/offs. Want to one-on-one? PM with ideas

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=42859.0

http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=Ariabella

Ignaddio

Re-reading

Title: Amercan Gods
Author: Neil Gaiman

After that I'll probably pick up Ender's Game, or start the Wheel of Time series. Hopefully by the time I'm done someone will be able to pick up where he left off. I was completely surprized to hear that Robert Jordan died. >.>
Vidi, Vici, Veni*I sang, too.
 Like the Avatar? I drew it myself.

Sherona

Title : The Sacred Orgasm
author: Keith Ray Stubs

*points to her post in On topic* Wont go in detail here but my post in On Topic should help clear up what this book is about.

HairyHeretic

Wheel of Time, Book 5: The Fires of Heaven - Robert Jordan
The Armour of Contempt - Dan Abnett
Mystrals Kiss - Laurell K Hamilton
Interesting Times - Terry Pratchett
Romance of the Three Kingdoms - Luo Gaunzhong, translated by Moss Roberts

At any one time I tend to be reading several books at once.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lirliel

The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore :)
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Cherri Tart

Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop - thank you very much Elandra! :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Elandra

Quote from: Unnatural Selection on November 22, 2007, 07:55:59 PM
Title:  God is Not Great; How Religion Poisons Everything
Author:  Christopher Hitchens
I have been interested in reading this book, how is it so far? You didn't think you would get away with just stating that you were reading it, did you? *smiles*

As for me....currently I am reading a trashy mystery thriller, just needed some time to veg out, get absorbed in someone else's problems.

Title: Broken Prey
Author: John Sandford

Cherri - you are welcome, I am glad you are enjoying it. *hugs*
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

Unnatural Selection

Hey Elandra,

On the whole, I found the book quite enjoyable, but that's largely because on the larger issue I tend to agree with Mr. Hitchens; I'm antireligious, think that belief in God has been both dangerous and foolhardy throughout human history, etc.

I found his prose style a little convoluted at first and almost put the book down at around page fifty.  But as I got more familiar, it got more enjoyable and I finished it up last night.

His arguments are sound, even if I don't feel he went into sufficient detail on some points.  Namely, a charge I often hear is the point made by some religious believes that there have been people killed in the name of ahteism and secularism during the Third Reich and in Stalinist Russia.  Not that he doesn't address these points, but he first makes an elegant case that this charge is really nothing more than a logical fallacy employed by the religious claimant, basically a "you too" (don't remember the Latin phrase) ad hominem attack.  I also feel that he could have made a better case against the Eastern religions that he seems to hold in equal contempt to Judaism/Christianity/Islam.

All in all, two thumbs up.  I don't think it will convince anyone who isn't already a skeptic, but even so I learned some things I was in ignorance of.  I'd recomment it.

Now reading:

Title:  The Haunting of Hill House
Author:  Shirley Jackson
Here you go

--Carl Sagan

Caustic

Just finished Cormac McCarthy's No Country For Old Men.  It is not a happy book, but it's a fantastic book.

The idea is that I heard the Cohen brothers' movie version is excellent.  Having seen the damage done to All the Pretty Horses by Hollywood-- with the exception of Lucas Black, who was fantastic in that movie-- I wanted to read it first; glad I did.  Haven't seen it yet, but-- wow.

It echoes McCarthy's themes of the corruption of humanity, the notion of fate and reckoning... I recommend it, and it's a quick read.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Kalen

The Sandman - Neil Gaiman  (reading the collected comics.. great stuff)

re-reading The Dark Tower - Stephen King

Hmm.. waiting for a bunch of stuff from the library as well.

Just finished The Last Templar - Raymond Khoury

strangely made

Baja Bugs & Buggies by Jeff Hibbard

It's just pure unadulterated filth :)......all sand and mud.

Jester

I am currently reading David Eddings and his Belgariod series. I have read them before when I was much younger but thoroughly enjoyed the cheesiness of it.

So i ebayed it and brought his entire collection and am slowly plodding my way through.

National Acrobat

Title: Thomas Jefferson and His Time, His First Term 1801-1805
Author: Dumas Malone

HairyHeretic

Quote from: comedyjester on November 28, 2007, 05:48:44 AM
I am currently reading David Eddings and his Belgariod series. I have read them before when I was much younger but thoroughly enjoyed the cheesiness of it.

So i ebayed it and brought his entire collection and am slowly plodding my way through.

Quite fun, though I have to say I prefer the Elenium and Tamuli trilogies.

I still have a soft spot for Sir Mandorallen in the Belgeriard. I played a character based off him in a game of Riddle of Steel. It's fun challenging an entire caste to surrender on your own  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Sherona

Quote from: hairyheretic on November 28, 2007, 07:11:36 PM
Quite fun, though I have to say I prefer the Elenium and Tamuli trilogies.

I still have a soft spot for Sir Mandorallen in the Belgeriard. I played a character based off him in a game of Riddle of Steel. It's fun challenging an entire caste to surrender on your own  ;D

While I liked the Elenium Trilogy, the Belgariad will always hold a fond spot in my heart. Read about Belgarion, Polgara, and Belgarath when I was but 9 years old (my mom had the series) and it made me fall in love with the fantasy settings.

omg I forgotten about sir Mandorallen! He was so sweet and funny..

HairyHeretic

I know the feeling. When I was about 6 or 8 my uncle gave me The Hobbit and The Sword of Shanarra, and that was me off and running.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Caehlim

It was my dad reading The Hobbit to me as my bedtime story that dragged me into roleplaying to begin with.

Title "The Dresden Files: Death Masks"
Author ... I don't know, but google does. (Ah, Jim Butcher).

I just finished this book and haven't started a new one yet.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Unnatural Selection

Just finished up the Shirley Jackson book.  Had mixed feelings going in; I remember reading "The Lottery" in high school and not liking it; I didn't feel that I understood it, it made me uncomfortable, and I didn't get what the lottery was about, how it was started, etc. etc. etc.  But when I pulled "Haunting of Hill House" from the library shelf, I realized that, of all the stories I read in high school, I could only really remember "The Lottery," whether or not I liked it.  It was that powerful that it could stick with me all these years and I could still remember the plot.

So I tried Hill House.  And I must say that my tastes must have improved, because I thought it was a splendid book, absolutely wonderful!  Barely a wasted word, such evocative description.  Truly a good read!

Next up:

Title:  Why Darwin Matters; The Case Against Intelligent Design
Author:Michael Shermer
Here you go

--Carl Sagan

Ray the Wicked

God is not great sounds completely intriguing.  I think I would like that very much, I'll have to look into it.

As for me, I just finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.  A Fine and Private Place keeps staring at me, but I'm distracted with holiday shopping, arting and just being easily distracted.  But I love Peter S. Beagle...I WILL READ YOU!
Shut up Aslan!  Darth Maul already killed you!

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=12060.0

Adult Fan Fic Archive: http://xmen.adultfanfiction.net/authors.php?no=1296815188

Jadedessence

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking-Glass
Longhand unabridged
Lewis Carrol
[.Intro.]
[.Ons and Offs.]
Give me a message if you're interested. :D

Kalen

Lirliel

Witch Finder - C.L. Werner (Warhammer novel)
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Kazyth

Children of Chaos - Dave Duncan

Tempted to pick up Kushiel's Dart again, just for fun.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Caeli

Full Metal Panic: Fighting Boy Meets Girl (Vol. 1) - Shouji Gatou (leisure reading)
I love reading fun books. Yay. ;D

Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Vol. 1 / 4) - translated by Moss Roberts
Intriguing. Wonderful. Fantastic... But then, that's the bias in me coming out. xD

Arrows of the Queen / other assorted Valdemar novels - Mercedes Lackey
Love for fantasy.

Assorted books for class.
Which are actually quite interesting, all things considered, except I dislike being forced to read books.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs