The Big Thread For the USA 2016 Presidential Candidates [Poll updated!]

Started by Blythe, July 31, 2015, 04:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

So, Donald Trump calls for a "complete shutdown of muslims" entering the United States, and he means absolutely all, including tourists, athletes, U.S,. citizens and business people with a muslim background "or there will be more World Trade Centers".  :-(

Seriously? ::)  ::)  ::)

(and yes, on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Nice touch there; Trump is ever the showman!)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Merah

Mithlomwen

What really frightens me, is that now that he's had time to reflect on his statements, he still stands by them.....and the fact that his supporters were actually cheering the idea. 

Cheering

I fear for our country. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oniya

Quote from: Mithlomwen on December 08, 2015, 01:47:14 PM
What really frightens me, is that now that he's had time to reflect on his statements, he still stands by them.....and the fact that his supporters were actually cheering the idea. 

Cheering

I fear for our country.

Where's the 'Like' button on this post?  Because that's exactly where my brain is sitting.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cassandra LeMay

If Trump gave an inch he'd lose his supporters. He has no choice but to stick to what he said.

Personally I am not sure what I worry more about: Trump - or the fact that some other contenders look almost moderate compared to Trump when they are anything but moderate.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Skynet

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 07, 2015, 09:08:03 PM
So, Donald Trump calls for a "complete shutdown of muslims" entering the United States, and he means absolutely all, including tourists, athletes, U.S,. citizens and business people with a muslim background "or there will be more World Trade Centers".  :-(

Seriously? ::)  ::)  ::)

(and yes, on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Nice touch there; Trump is ever the showman!)

Nice to see how the GOP's still the party of small government and individual freedom.

Cycle

Trump's not alone.  Ted Cruz is commending Trump's efforts even though he claims to "disagree" with them.

Quote"I commend Donald Trump for standing up and focusing America’s attention on the need to secure our borders."

HannibalBarca

Fuckin' Trump.

He compared what he wants to do with the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War 2.  I can't think of any other word that's appropriate to describe him with, other than...

...fuckin' Trump.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

gaggedLouise

Next up: Trump wants to "talk to Bill Gates" (and "some other people") about closing down the internet to prevent the spread of dangerous ideas. (video in the linked article)

Kim Jong Il, anyone?  :D

Quote from: Donald Trump“We are losing a lot of people to the Internet. We have to do something. We have to go see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening. We have to talk to them [about], maybe in certain areas, closing that internet up in some way.

Some people will say, 'Freedom of speech, Freedom of speech'. These are foolish people. We have a lot of foolish people.”

*head spin*

Avis habilis

If there's one thing his stripe hate it's the Constitution. Except for the 2nd Amendment. As far as they're concerned that's the only legible text in it. The rest is all Charlie Brown teacher voice trombone "wonh wonh wonh wonh".

Caehlim

I think this is the problem with a candidate who has never been a politician before. Most elected officials are in it for the long-haul and build up a pattern over time. They know how much to promise, how much to give into spectacle and how much people will hold them to their campaigning slogans if they get into office. Likewise the public knows how much they can trust them and how likely they are to actually stand by their statements when they have the power to do something about it.

Trump is saying whatever he likes and to supporters who are sick of political double-speech it sounds honest and great. If he were to get elected though, we have no idea whether he would actually turn these talking points into policy. Not that he even could since so many of the things he's stating are beyond the powers of the POTUS office, so he couldn't make them happen without a lot of political capital in the other branches of government. Some, such as the restriction of entrance to the United States on religious grounds, are blatantly anti-constitutional so he would have a hell of a time getting such things through the Supreme Court.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

gaggedLouise

It's kinda funny that he thinks Bill Gates, or um...Microsoft, somehow owns (or controls) the internet...  :P

Oniya

Considering that Bill is an avowed Democrat, I don't think it would make a difference if he did own the Internet.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Cycle

I'm waiting for someone to ask Trump if he thinks Muslims should be allowed to own guns.

Five bucks says his head explodes.  ;D

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Cycle on December 09, 2015, 10:09:06 AM
I'm waiting for someone to ask Trump if he thinks Muslims should be allowed to own guns.

Five bucks says his head explodes.  ;D
Ten bucks says his answer will be along the lines of "If the are against ISIS - sure. If they go to Syria and fight ISIS. If they want to do that let them have guns. That's what Muslims should do if they are against the terrorists - fight them where they are. But do you see that happening? No. You don't. Muslims are not fighting ISIS in Syria. So see? They are all for ISIS."
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

HannibalBarca

Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Oniya

HannibalBarca

George Takei...now there's a true badass I'd vote for as President...
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Cycle

3.0's got a Christmas deal for you!  If you pay him $25, he'll stop begging you for money until next year.

I really hope this story is a joke.

Because otherwise, 3.0 is even more of a nimrod than I thought.

Oniya

Next year?  *glances at calendar*  That long?

Quote from: Cycle on December 14, 2015, 07:27:39 PM
Because otherwise, 3.0 is even more of a nimrod than I thought.

Well, Nimrod is considered to be responsible for a lot of babble.

Darn auto-correct.  ;)

Cycle

Eureka!  They've found a way to top Trump!

I just love this line:

Quote"I just found myself behind Donald Trump with a balloon one day and did what any sane and sensible person would have done.”

Mithlomwen

Looks like Ted Cruz may have landed himself in hot water.

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr reviewing comments Ted made during the debate to see if he revealed classified information to the public. 

Whooooopsie. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

BCdan

I did like Rand Pauls comments during last nights debate when he pointed out that Trump would have to violate the 1st amendment and the geneva convention to do some of the things he wants to do (put up a wall around the internet and bomb the families of terrorists).

I am not afraid of Trump. He will not win.  The only reason he is as popular as he is in the Republican party is that the support base against him is diffused over many other candidates.

~I enjoy random PM's~