News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Mistborn

Started by PennySludt, December 11, 2015, 03:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PennySludt

Has anyone read the Mistborn trilogy!?

I'm just about to start the second book, The Well of Ascension. I need someone who has read the series! I need some questions answered before I continue. Anyone out there to help!?
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

AmberStarfire

I've read them as well as the follow up, which I think was The Alloy of Law.

They're great books. :D

I'll help if I can, though I read them around a year ago so may have forgotten a lot.

Ananym

I just started book 3 actually. Great series so far.

What are your questions?

PennySludt

i'm halfway through the third one and i'm desperately hoping it's not going to be a sad ending, but i can't find anyone to actually tell me if it's okay or not! i can't stand sad endings!
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

AmberStarfire

It's sad in some ways and happy in others. I don't think I should tell you how it ends though, Penny. :)

PennySludt

just finished the trilogy..... i'm not really sure WHAT i feel right now.... i might have to process it for a while.... but WOW

AmberStarfire

Yep, I agree completely. :)

Ananym

You're so fast.  I'm not even halfway through book 3 right now.  I won't post any spoilers in case someone else looks at this but I wasn't a big fan of the turn in the stories direction after the second book.  But I can't wait to see how the story turns out.

I think a good role play could be created in the setting of the first book.  An oppressive empire ruled with an iron fist, frightening inquisitors with their spike filled eyes, elite nobles with deep political machinations, rebellious and submissive slaves, and groups of thieves in the night. So much potential.

PennySludt

lol yeah when i get into a book i devour it!;) and i've actually started two roleplays based on the series :) i'm also looking for the next in the series

The Dark Raven

I need to get into these books.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

PennySludt

They were awesome :-)

AmberStarfire

PennySludt

yeah, they're on my amazon wishlist! ;) and the game system book!

Lady Shadow

Just bought the series on paperback, can't wait to dig in!
Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
Ambition is like a V8 engine.
~Elvis Presley~

PennySludt

Did you start them yet? How are they going? I just started the second book of the second Trilogy! :D

AmberStarfire

Which is the second trilogy?

PennySludt

Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, and Bands of Mourning. I'm hoping the third one isn't sad, with a title like that! :P I DO NOT need anything making me cry right now! :P

AmberStarfire

Ah okay. I've read the Alloy of Law and it's pretty damn awesome.

Yeah let's hope it's not a tearjerker. :/

PennySludt

I really should have re-read the first three cuz though this trilogy is technically a standalone, there are things in the first that have affected this trilogy and I should have refreshed my memory! Lol!

PennySludt

Oh my gosh! I didn't realize there's a fourth book in the second era that has yet to be written! I'm gonna DIE!!!

PennySludt

I started reading Mistborn: Secret History in Arcanum Unbounded, and I've decided to go back and reread the original trilogy because it's just been too long, and while I remember most of it, there are small details that I can't remember that are mentioned in the Secret History. So, back I go! Lol!

AmberStarfire

Cool. :) There are a number of books of the author's that I haven't read yet but I really like his stuff, so sooner or later I may end up reading all of it.

PennySludt

Oh I KNOW I will be venturing into his others in the Cosmere collection. They all tie into each other as they go! It's like diving into Madeleine L'Engle's worlds! Everything affects everything else and it's mindblowing! :D

Vergil Tanner

You should definitely dive into the rest of his Cosmere series!

Let's see...you have The Final Empire, Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages.
After that is the Wax and Wayne series, "The Alloy of Law," "Shadows of Self," "Bands of Mourning" and the as-yet unreleased "The Lost Metal."

After that, he's planning to do a Circa-1970's series on the same world, and after THAT is planning to take it Into Space with a Sci-fi series as well.

If you want to get into his Cosmere, tackle the standalone books first; that is, "Elantris," "Warbreaker," "The Emperors Soul," and possibly his Graphic Novel, "White Sand."

After THAT, dive into his Stormlight Archive saga; planned to be ten books, he wants it to be his flagship series, the series that ties everything together. The reason I say hit the standalones first is that certain characters and elements hop across from other books to the Stormlight world that you won't understand or recognise if you haven't read the others (EG, "Hello. Would you like to destroy some evil today?"). Certain characters in Stormlight can also be found - if you look REALLY closely - in other books. You know that extra pair of footsteps in the Sanctum with the Leresium Beads in Mistborn? Never outright stated, but you meet the character who is hinted to have made them in the Stormlight Saga. In fact, one of the characters in Stormlight has appeared in Cameo form in EVERY SINGLE Cosmere book or series. See if you can figure out who it is. ;)
The Stormlight Archive currently consists of "The Way of Kings," "Words of Radiance," "Edgedancer" and the soon to be released "Oathbringer."

If you want MORE Brandon Sanderson goodness, also try out his separate, non-Cosmere books (set on Earth); one is the Reckoners Trilogy ("Steelheart," "Firefight" and "Calamity"), which is set in a post apocalyptic world where he basically posits the question, "What if superpowers existed, but they always turned the bearers Chaotic Evil?" The other is "Legion" and "Legion: Skin Deep," which follows the most intelligent man in the world, who has a psychological condition where he doesn't want to handle his intelligence so he creates hallucinations that exhibit his separate skills and knowledge instead of using them himself.

Sanderson has written a LOT of VERY good books, and I cannot recommend him enough (I've read all of his works that I've been able to find >.> )
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

PennySludt

OMG now I'm dying! Lol! Thanks for the tip on where to start! That'll be very helpful, I'm sure. I wasn't quite sure where to jump into those. I did read that he felt the best place to start was Mistborn, but after that he didn't really say anything! Lol! Right now, I totally feel like I just had an entire all-you-can-eat dessert buffet placed in front of me!!! Can't wait to devour it all!

I heard the fourth Wax and Wayne book is coming out next year, or at least, once finishes the current one he's working on now in a different system. I have Emperor's Soul and White Sand in Arcanum Unbounded.

Vergil Tanner

That's good :-) I would suggest starting with the Standalones, since they're good stories in and of themselves, and introduce certain concepts that you won't understand unless you've read them. Also, there are a lot of nods in The Stormlight Saga that you won't get unless you've read his other books. XD Personally, I love Warbreaker, so maybe start with that one. :P

I think Oathbringer is gonna be the next one to come out in the Cosmere. If you go to Brandonsanderson.com, there's a tracker there that tells you how far along he is with all his projects. Oh! And he has a book coming out in about a week set on future-ish Earth called Snapshot that looks interesting. :-)
He ALSO has a Mistborn boardgame coming out that I've preordered. :P

There's a lot to read, haha...he's a very prolific author. For High Fantasy, getting two books out a year is actually very, very good XD

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

PennySludt

A boardgame? Not a roleplay game? I've had my eye on the roleplay books but man! A boardgame would be AWESOME! I also saw there was a probably-scrapped video game which would probably be one of the only video games I'd ever play! Lol! I have honestly never read a book or series that has ever made me want to write in that world except Mistborn. I'm no good at it and failed twice, but it still makes me want to! Lol! I just really really wish they'd gone with someone else to read the audiobooks. The guy they have is so absolutely completely DULL! I'm thinking maybe I'll have my friend record her reading it and make my own set of audiobooks! That way I can at least get something done while I immerse myself in Scaladrial! Lol :D

Vergil Tanner

Yhup yhup! It's called Mistborn: House War, and in it the players take on the role of the Great Houses in the final days of the Final Empire; the aim of the game is to both work together to keep the Empire running AND to screw over your rivals to become the most powerful House in all of Scadriel. The game has already been Kickstarted, but you can still pre-order it from their Page. :D

And yeah, Sanderson confirmed last year that the game wasn't going to happen. A shame, 'cause I was looking forward to that :-(

But I know what you mean! For a while after reading it, almost all of my characters had Allomancy or Feruchemy as powers XD They're just really interesting concepts for abilities, haha. XD And I do agree...the audiobooks are dull. They should have gotten somebody more interesting, like Morgan Freeman or Wil Wheaton, or a dead slug. :P

PennySludt

Oh yeah! I saw that! I thought it was an add-on to the roleplay game! Cool! They're video was pretty awesome too! Lol!

I just almost woke up the kids laughing at the dead slug crack! Omg! The guy who read Harry Potter was awesome, but I think it would be cool to have a girl do the first trilogy because it's very much leaned towards Vin's perspective. She's amazing! <3

(Sorry about all the exclamation marks. I re-read this and it looks like a field of fireworks :P I'm a little excited.)

Vergil Tanner

Haha , that's fine, it's refreshing to find somebody as excited about the Cosmere. XD You need to dive into it ASAP so I can start talking about spoiler-y stuff. :P :P

PennySludt

Okay, so Warbreaker then? Or Elantris? Omg did you see the special edition of that and Mistborn with the leather covers!? They're sold out of Mistborn but they're planning a reprint apparently. Although I can get it for twice the price on eBay of course! Lol! Yeah, I'm a serious addict, although I kinda had to glue my heart back together at the end of the first trilogy and I sort of hated him for a while after that! Lol!

Vergil Tanner

Haha, yes, I did see it :P There are also a whole host of posters and t-shirts and whatnot on Sandersons website :P

Either Elantris or Warbreaker first, doesn't matter; they're not really connected, being on different worlds. Although, Elantris was his first book (and there is a sequel, I think) so maybe start with Elantris, then move onto Warbreaker. :-)

PennySludt

Oooh I saw! I saw! But they need some girl-cut t-shirts! I hate the unisex ones :P I feel frumpy in them.

I've also wondered how full his classes must get at Brigham-Young and wished I could go to one! How amazing would that be!?

See? Now I don't know whether to finish rereading the original trilogy and then the Secret History, or go straight for Elantris or Warbreaker :P

Vergil Tanner

Hmmm....try Secret History first. That's not that long. :-) Then go onto the Standalones, then go from there. That's the order I would do, anyway. Really, the order doesn't matter THAT much so long as you read Elantris and Warbreaker before Stormlight :-)

And haha, yeah, I get that XD And I've seen hi swriting talks on youtube...they get pretty full! XD

PennySludt

I started Secret History but then I felt like I wanted to refresh my memory cuz it's been over a year since I read the first three and while I remember generally, some of the things he talks about I want to remember better. So while I COULD just finish Secret History, I think it would be more fulfilling to go back to the first three first, and then read it, and then go on to other planets, except that's a lot of waiting! Lol! Dilemma of epic proportions! ;)

Vergil Tanner

Haha, well, Secret History is a prequel, so...read that, re-read the original trilogy, then read whatever you want to after that.

OR you could read them in chronological order. Near as I can figure, the chronology is as follows:

White Sand,
Elantris,
The Hope of Elantris,
The Emperors Soul,
Mistborn 1 (Final Empire, Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages),
Warbreaker,
The Stormlight Archive,
Mistborn 2 (Alloy of Law, etc etc)
Sixth of The Dusk.

If you want to read the series in chronological order, that is, which doesn't really matter, but could be a fun way of doing it. :P

PennySludt

11th metal is a prequal. Secret History runs parallel to Well of Ascension I think, or maybe Final Empire, or all three maybe, but then also into Alloy of Law, which is why I felt I needed the refresher so I can tie together what's going on in clearer detail.

And chronological with writing, or chronological within the stories?

Did you ever wonder about their ages? If Scaladrial was closer to the sun during the Lord Ruler's time, then moved back outwards after the ascension, were they actually physically older at 16 after the ascension than they were at 16 before the ascension? Cuz it would take longer for a year when they moved away. So, Vin would be less mature in her day than she would have been in Wax's, don't you think?

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: PennySludt on February 10, 2017, 09:58:34 PM
And chronological with writing, or chronological within the stories?

In regard to the stories themselves. :-)

Quote from: PennySludt on February 10, 2017, 09:58:34 PMDid you ever wonder about their ages? If Scaladrial was closer to the sun during the Lord Ruler's time, then moved back outwards after the ascension, were they actually physically older at 16 after the ascension than they were at 16 before the ascension? Cuz it would take longer for a year when they moved away. So, Vin would be less mature in her day than she would have been in Wax's, don't you think?

I did wonder about that, and then thought "That would give me a headache." I mean, we don't know how long a Scadriel Year takes anyway, but you're right that moving it away from the sun would make a Final Empire 16 year old and a Wax and Wayne 16 year old different in terms of ACTUAL age, as in, time spent alive. But we don't know how much longer it is; it could only be a few weeks, or it could be a few months...he never really specifies it, and I suppose it doesn't matter much either way as long as it doesn't cause any narrative issues XD I assume they would have altered the calendar to represent the new length. :P

PennySludt

Oh it totally makes absolutely no problem with the books and the as-yet-to-be-identified dancing woman does say in Bands of Mourning that they changed the calendar. It's just one of those random thoughts that wormed into my head. I was actually thinking years though, not months. Like 16 post-ascension would be like 18 pre-ascension. But like you said, that's not something you could ever tell without a direct statement. Just musings from an addict ;)

Vergil Tanner

Oh, I got that! I just don't know if the people left would bother changing their ages; seems like a hassle, figuring the new age out, doesn't it? XD

PennySludt

I honestly don't think they would know there was a difference anyway. I would guess Harmony changed the calendar and gave it to them.

Vergil Tanner

Haha, well, the fact that people in the Wax and Wayne Series know what happened - even knowing
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Sazed's
name - suggests that he pulled people aside and was like "Here's what happened, here's a new calendar, now get your shit sorted." XD

PennySludt

I'd be more inclined to think it was
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Lestibournes
passing messages at that point.

Lol! Maybe I should go back and put a Spoiler Alert a little way back! :P

Vergil Tanner

Bahaha, maybe.

But I think it would have been Harmony using L as a go-between, personally. We know from BoM that Harmony can talk to people, if he so desires. Not that they'll necessarily listen, of course. :P

PennySludt

Yup, that's my thinking. Passing messages ;)

I almost decided to stop Mistborn and go for Secret History and then one of the others last night, but when I woke up, I decided I couldn't abandon Vin cuz I'm remembering just HOW MUCH I adore her. So I'll go through with my original plan. I swear she's the most amazing heroine EVER! <3

Vergil Tanner

Haha, she is pretty awesome. XD But you haven't met Syl in Stormlight yet. She is AMAZING. XD

PennySludt

Lol! I'm have to let you know then! But that wasn't one of the ones you said to start with, right?

Vergil Tanner

No, no. Before you start The Stormlight archive (his "main" series, beginning with The Way of Kings), I recommend reading Warbreaker. :-)

PennySludt

Yes Sir! I'll be on that maybe next week then. Well, maybe two weeks...I started Mistborn yesterday but I'm only 1/4 way through.

Vergil Tanner

Haha, a quick reader! I like you :P Since coming to China and starting a daily hour and a half commute to work, I've burned through SO many books XD

PennySludt

Lol! One of the perks of living in a place with public transportation! I have to drive myself, so it's either audiobooks or music. But like I said, Michael Kramer is a dead bore!

Vergil Tanner

Yeah, he isn't great. You need to make your own, as you suggested!
Oooh. Maybe get a group of friends to sit down and make an Audiobook, each of them doing different characters :P

PennySludt

Oh that would be aMAZing! Like an old radio play almost! Hmmm...I don't have any in-person friends, but maybe something like a Skype session with different people...

Ko

I'd recommend Mistborn on Audible too. There's something powerfully satisfying in having a trained voice read it to you.

I'll be downloading the second book next month.
✓ Is there synergy? My ONs & OFFs
✓ I'd like to hear your sexy RP idea.  Or you could check out one of mine.

PennySludt

PennySludt

Ah, yeah, still Michael Kramer. I listened to the preview clip from the library and I can't stand it :P

PennySludt

PennySludt

Vergil Tanner

LOL, pretty much. XD When I first read it, I recommended it to everybody I could. XD Went a bit mad on it, I did. XD

PennySludt

Oh I can SO empathize!

PennySludt

Got a rough recording made of the prologue! Hopefully this is gonna work.

Vergil Tanner

PennySludt

Trying to edit it but I can't quite figure out the program. :p

stormwyrm

Well, I finished it a few months ago, and it was indeed excellent, but I’m getting the feeling that Mr. Sanderson may in fact exceed it with the Stormlight Archive series. I’ll get around to reading the second trilogy in a bit, maybe after I finish Elantris and some other books on my list.
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

PennySludt

The second trilogy is sort of like a magic steampunk wild West thing! It's fun :D

PennySludt

Okay, I couldn't resist making a collage of the characters, as I see them from the book's descriptions, at least.

mackehnry44

No I didn't read them yet but interested.

PennySludt

Oh you definitely definitely should!

Sasquatch421

Need to read The Hero of Ages yet, but I enjoy them... Doesn't hurt that Brandon Sanderson was born in my home state of Nebraska....

mackehnry44

Kaspider

I should not have read The Wheel of Time. Every other fantasy series look babies to me now. This one is good though. Magic system is brilliant.
I don't see the future. I don't worry about the past. Now's all I have.

Sugo

You find Michael Kramer a bore! How dare you! I loved his Audio books for all 6 of the Mistborn books!!

This is my all time favourite novel series, I absolutely loved this book and it's my favourite by far, I'm so sad that we wont really see any adaptions of it in the near future. I even table top roleplay Mistborn pretty regularly!
100px isn't enough for any of my sigs Vekseid ;___;

I suffer from intermittent stints of depression. I may disappear for extended period of times when my motivation hits a rut.

RampantDesires

Speaking of Mistborn table top ... you can Humble book bundle - Brandon Sanderson includes lots of awesome stuff including some of the RPG pdfs.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

AmberStarfire

It would've been good if I'd seen that before I picked up Snapshot (which was great, by the way). Alloy of Law is also excellent (and I haven't read a lot of the others), but the $15 option looks good to me. If I didn't already have some of the books (and there were ones not available in my region), I'd go for it.

Sugo

Yes I saw the Humble Bundle! I'm excited. My group is going to be starting a Wax/Wayne style Mistborn story soon! I'm super hype to play in that.
100px isn't enough for any of my sigs Vekseid ;___;

I suffer from intermittent stints of depression. I may disappear for extended period of times when my motivation hits a rut.

PennySludt

I want to try the tabletop game so bad, but I don't have any way to do so. It looks fun though!

And yeah....I'm kinda picky about who I can tolerate to listen to. People seem to get this 'reading voice' when they read books that drives me INSANE! But I've been fixing that. Tori and I have been recording our own, so I'll have that once we're done! Lol!