Started by Greenthorn, November 16, 2008, 10:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenthorn

Find Out Which American Accent You Have

It takes maybe a minute tops!!

My result:

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Mellonlegolas

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

That's funny, I grew up in Missouri and went to college in Southern Indiana :D
My ons and offs can be found here

Oniya

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

No! I've only lived here a couple years, honest!

(And it's soda, not 'pop', and not 'coke' unless it's at least brown.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caity

I got Inland North too.... but I'm from West Virginia

And I do call it pop.  :P

Moondazed

Inland North... and it's definitely pop :P  Soda is a white powder that makes a great household cleaner :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Jefepato

Inland North, which is true enough.  But it's soda.  'Pop' fills me with fury.

Trieste

I know this is a complete surprise ...

... we're talking utter shock, here ...

Your Result: Boston

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

... terribly astounding ...

mannik

Quote"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

This was my result.

Storiwyr

Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

It lies. I'm definitely not from Minnesota. I've lived in Oregon since I learned how to talk, with a brief two year stint in Utah. And yes, dammit. It's 'fork' ... not 'fark' ... crazy Utah people.
Lords, get to know me before you snuggle all over me. Sorry, but I get a little anxious! Ladies and Lieges, cuddles are always welcome, read my O/O for more detailed info.
"There's no need to argue anymore. I gave all I could, but it left me so sore. And the thing that makes me mad, is the one thing that I had. I knew, I knew, I'd lose you."

Kiara

And this is me:

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Ket

Midland.

Because evidently there is no way to differentiate that from a southern accent (according to their description of stating that someone with a midland accent could be from 'one of those big southern cities').

Though, I have noticed that especially here in Southeastern Virginia, accents of those of us native to the area differ greatly from Northern and Western Virginia.  We have a tiny hit of a southern accent mixed with a tiny hint of an English accent, left over from colonial days. 

And it's COKE!  There is no soda, no pop, it's all coke!  Unless one is trying to make a decision on which carbonated beverage to actually drink.  Otherwise...regardless of the options, around here, you're going to be asked, "Do you want a coke?"
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Kurzyk

Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

This is pretty accurate. I have lived most my life in New England, (Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Maine) but mostly New York City. I don't have the Brooklyn accent mostly associated with New Yorkers (although every once in a while it pops out). I was raised in Manhattan which is slightly different.

Kiara

Quote from: Ket on November 16, 2008, 03:01:06 PM
And it's COKE!  There is no soda, no pop, it's all coke!  Unless one is trying to make a decision on which carbonated beverage to actually drink.  Otherwise...regardless of the options, around here, you're going to be asked, "Do you want a coke?"

It is sooo not a coke! Coke is only coke if it is a coke!

I remember my first trip to the south.... here's how a conversation went:

Southern person: "Do you want a coke?"

Me: "Sure"

Southern person: "What kind?"

Me: "Huh?"

Kiara

Quote from: Ket on November 16, 2008, 03:01:06 PM

Because evidently there is no way to differentiate that from a southern accent (according to their description of stating that someone with a midland accent could be from 'one of those big southern cities').

Oh, and I meant to respond to something else too! Haha!

I think they said that it could also be from the "big southern cities" because the stereotypical southern accent seems to fall away for the most part in the larger populations. :P

Ket

Quote from: Kiara on November 16, 2008, 03:09:59 PM
Southern person: "Do you want a coke?"

Me: "Sure"

Southern person: "What kind?"

Me: "Huh?"

Exactly!  Because in general terms, it's all coke!!
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Kiara

Quote from: Ket on November 16, 2008, 03:15:46 PM
Exactly!  Because in general terms, it's all coke!!

Nooo! It is pop! Though it can sometimes be soda. And very rarely soda-pop.

It is never coke unless of course it is actually a coke.

Kurzyk

Quote from: Oniya on November 16, 2008, 10:44:16 AM

(And it's soda, not 'pop', and not 'coke' unless it's at least brown.)

Damn straight!

The Overlord

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Which is essentially correct, except I rarely get asked where I'm from.

And by the way...it IS pop.  :)

Moondazed

*gives Overlord a brownie point for knowing the proper terminology* 

*giggle*
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Trieste

... why is there so much contention over what to call carbonated drinks? :o

The Overlord

LOL, I never figured that out. I'm even OK somewhat with the idea of soda...but since Coke actually has its corporate HQ in Atlanta, the natives down here think it's all Coke.

Which of course is silly.

Cherri Tart

acording to this i'm from Boston... but i've never even BEEN to Boston!
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Trieste

Quote from: Cherri Tart on November 16, 2008, 06:10:05 PM
acording to this i'm from Boston... but i've never even BEEN to Boston!

... would you like to visit? I have a place you can stay! :D

Caity

Or going North and trying to get sweet tea.  They usually bring you lemon tea or raspberry tea.  :P

Moondazed

Sweet tea here in Virginia is more like syrup! *cringe*