Egg Harvesting for Donation

Started by Cannabis Brownies, February 28, 2011, 07:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cannabis Brownies

I just wanted to know what others think about egg harvesting for donation. I'm a 20 year old lesbian. It was come to my attention a few years ago that I may not be able to have children because of scar tissue on my uterus walls or something like that. However, my eggs should still be fine. I'm not much interested in having children but I know that their are many people who do want children but can't conceive. My girlfriend asked me if I'd ever thought about donating my eggs. I don't think that's a bad idea. I'm young and in the right age and health to donate but the thought of my biological child being raised by someone else is a bit nerve racking. Just because I can't see myself living with and raising children doesn't mean I want them running around with someone else. The average amount of money you get from donating is around 8000 and can go up depending on certain qualities you may have. I could use the money...I really could. College put me in a debt that will take me years to get out of. But aside from giving up your flesh and blood to a stranger you also have to go through an extensive process of injecting yourself with hormones. On the other hand I know there are women who would possibly choose my eggs because of my traits and they'd be happy.

I just wanted to know what others thought about this or if anyone thought about doing it themselves or have done it.

TheLovelyMaid

I remember back when I first entered college, seeing tons of ads, asking for egg donation, with compensation, like towards the end of my high school career.  Just like the military trying to make you a sweet deal to go hang with them for a few years to pay for your college, there were some flyers to attend an informational session about egg donation.  Some of the stipulations were that you had to be a certain race, you had to be an attendee or a graduate of an Ivy League University, you had to be from a certain heritage/religion, and you had to be between the ages of 18-24, and no family history of any sort of mental problems, diseases, etc.  Most couples are willing to pay your 4-year college tuition, if they want more than one child--they'll want the children to be related as closely as possible.

It's a pretty lucrative business transaction, and I did consider it for awhile, but my scholarship came through.  Now that I think about it, I don't think I would have done it, even if the scholarship didn't come through.   As you said CB, I don't think I'd want my own lineage being raised by someone else.