The DemonWar Saga (PF game, custom rules, survival/horror)

Started by NicciKotor, April 07, 2013, 05:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicciKotor

This one is going to be tricky folks. First the rules!

-Level 4.
-4 Players give or take.
-4d6 reroll ones and twos.
-Human or elves only.
-Limited class selection. Fighter, Ranger, Bard, Rogue, and Warder.
-Rune Magic System.
-Rune Skill.
-Bard Mandatory.

It has been 321 years after the return of the Corelings, demonic beasts That rule the core of the earth that appear at dusk and de-materialize at dawn. The Age of Science, which has lasted for 3000 years, forgot its own history on how to fight against the corelings, and as such civilization was torn asunder by the untold millions of demons, as normal weapons had little to no effect against their power. Only through the study of ancient superstitious books was the survivors able to relearn the art of Wards. What was able to be salvaged was carried off to what few remaining cities were left, and massive walls with forbidding wards were placed to protect these cities from their doom.

Thus has humanity been reduced to a handful of city states, people trapped behind the wards and rarely traveling outside into the wilds. Only those called Warders have the balls to travel outside and communicate and trade with other cities, while also acting as mailmen and tradesmen. These Warders survive on the outside with the use of protective circles placed before dusk, as a properly placed ward circle can prevent the corelings from tearing them into pieces. These wards have to be painted or carved into pieces of wood for the best effect, with the pieces of wood strung together with rope. It is possible to draw forbidding wards on the ground or on shields, but such wards are easily disrupted with a stray leaf or blood coating the writings.

Wards for the past 300 years have only been used for defense and forbidding, as the knowledge of the coveted offensive wards has been lost for three centuries. This is where you guys come in, crazy asshole willing to brave the uncharted western woods to see if there exists any structures from before the Age of Science that have the wards needed to take the fight to the demons.

Corelings are light sensitive, have infernal healing, sicken people whom they claw, improved natural armor, and are just completely batshit insane with murder. They gave little to no intelligence and are perfectly willing to smash into forbidding wards over and over for hours on end, testing them for any weakness in the design. Corelings come in different flavors, depending on your terrain:

-Fire Demon. The Flame Demon is a fast demon that spits a liquid demonfire out of it's mouth. The Demonfire can set fire to most things and is effective against other breeds of corelings. Although they can spit fire they need time to spit again. This breed of Demon is frequently sighted in the lowlands. The flame demons avoid forests where Wood demons make their hiding places, the reason being that Wood demons attack Flame demons on sight due to their firespit, which sticks to wood demons and kills them quickly. There are none in the mountains and only a few in the desert, the reason is that there is nothing to burn. It runs on all four and is easily recognized by it's glowing mouth and eyes.

-Wood Demons. Populate any forested area and form out of the trees themselves. As such, their hides are near identical to the trees they come out of, making for perfect camo. They are much stronger than fire demons and are known to kill them on sight, since demonfire can kill them in return and burn down their trees.

-Wind Demons. Medium Sized bat creatures that favor a flyby attack that is able to slice a mans head off before he even knew what was happening. When on the ground they are very weak and their leather wings are easy to damage. They also need a running start to get back up into the air, so tight places are their worst enemy.

-Rock Demons. The big daddy of all demons, as they show up in and around mountains. Standing easily 20 feet tall and hides coated with rock plating and tails spiked with rock spires. They are also the slowest of the demons and take the longest to materialize at night.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Those are the more common demons you will be going up against, as there are others worth mentioning when the time comes. As you may have had figured out, the magic system in this game is completely different. I am merging the divine and arcane schools into the Warding school, as the new Warder class is a combo of the wizard and cleric. The class gets:

-d8 hit die.
-Average BAB.
-Cleric Base Saves.
-Prof. with all armors and simple and martial weapons.
-Same skills as a wizard and skill points per level.
-No familiar or channeling or aura or domains.

You get "spells" the same way as normal for a wizard. Instead of a spellbook you have a wardbook of the wards you are good enough to use with. Spells can be written on anything that can be used to be written on, as the most easiest way of doing this is to carry small wooden planks with the wardspell lacquered on them. Also, as previously mentioned, there are no offensive wards known to exist, so any spell that deals damage doesn't exist. Magical weapons don't exist, but armor can be warded to fend off demon attacks to a limited extent. Magical items do exist but are severely limited in use, as I will explain below.

But here comes the rub. The wards are totally useless by themselves. They need magical fuel, and the only known source of magical energy is the demons themselves. Forbidding magic only works on demons, not humans, as the demons need to be nearby for you to use the other spells in your arsenal. A warder during the day time is just an average fighter, as they need to be good with fending off demons long enough for another warder to set forbidding wards down. At the same time, when the demons are nearby, your magical spell potential cannot be reduced, so you don't have spells per day. Magical items only work when demons are around, so gauntlets of ogre strength only give you the +4 to strength when you are fending off demons, for example.

There is a loophole around this, but you'll have to figure that out by yourselves.

MAP!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

You will be all starting at Fort Miln. They are the only place for the other towns to get metal for tools and weapons and other items of importance. But being that far north and in the mountains, the area is poor for farming and trade their ore for food from the more plentiful southlands.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Blinkin

I think that I expressed some interest in this the first time around. I'll have to see if the character is still laying around someplace... If I recall, it was a ranger... If there's still an opening, I'll toss my hat in.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

NicciKotor

We need to drum up more interest for this, so you need to pull your weight and start bribing people with your sexy ranger ass.

Blinkin

Quote from: NicciKotor on April 07, 2013, 06:07:40 PM
We need to drum up more interest for this, so you need to pull your weight and start bribing people with your sexy ranger ass.

*Drops her pants and waggles her tight, shapely ass* Come on boys, come and get it if you cn handle it! ;)

Question. How do you want to deal with ranger spells at level 4? The same as magic above?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

NicciKotor

Quote from: Blinkin on April 07, 2013, 06:59:07 PM
*Drops her pants and waggles her tight, shapely ass* Come on boys, come and get it if you cn handle it! ;)

Question. How do you want to deal with ranger spells at level 4? The same as magic above?

Yeppers.

Blinkin

This is still a work in progress, but...

Name: Lydia Redfern         Player: Blinkin
Race: Human            Sex: Female
Class: Ranger(Guide)         Favored Class: Ranger
Level: 4            EXP: 14,000
Alignment: NG         Next Level: 23,000

Physical Description:
Lydia could be best described as a striking woman of unusual beauty.  A mass of rich chestnut colored hair falls about her face and shoulders in curly locks; framing a lightly tanned face that’s dominated by slightly upturned almond shaped Sky blue eyes. Slightly pouty lips under a straight nose and a firm, almost stubborn chin completes her visage.  An athletic figure with a combination of soft curves and firm muscles is accentuated with generous C-cup breast, a slender, toned waist and flaring out into rounded hips and rear. Long, lean legs and well worked arms complete the image. She is most often seen in well made, serviceable, if not overly expensive clothing in natural colors.

Personality:
Lydia is a woman who enjoys life with a zest that could leave some winded simply by watching her. A constant, vibrant energy seems to infuse her every breath and she firmly believes that life is meant to be lived, people anoyed and humor above all is to be encouraged. If you’re as likely as not to die tomorrow, live for today! A relatively good natured person, she is as much at home in a crowd of people in a tavern as she is in the wilds of the forest as she tracks evil beings wherever she might find them.

Background:
Lydia is the only child of parents with a serious taste of wonderlust and desire to see what was around the next hill; settling down only long enough to restore their supplies, make some more coin and gather up items to sell in the next town or settlement that they came to.

When Lydia was in her early teens, her family was set upon by an Orc band and it was, as to be expected, a slaughter. Her parents were killed and Lydia left for dead among the wreckage of the wagon and supplies. Lost and alone, she continued along the roadway and avoided the same band of bandits only by shere luck before she was found by a older ranger and taken under his wing just outside the town of Sandy Point. As time went on, Lydia became an not uncommon sight in the forest and surrounding lands as she learned her craft and made decent bows to sell in town from time to time for the extra coin.

Ability Scores:
STR:16  (+3) Carry: L: 77, M: 153, H: 230
DEX:17 (+3)
CON: 15 (+2)
INT: 15 (+2)
WIS: 16 +3)
CHA: 15 (+2)

Saving Throws:            Combat:
Fort: +6               HP: 42/42
Reflex: +7            Init: +5
Will: +4               Speed: 30’

Offense:               Defense:
Base Attack:+4            AC: 18
TAB: +8            AC (Flatfooted): 15
Ranged: +9               AC (Touch):13
CMB:+7            CMD: +20
AC(Special):  +2 vs Demons

Class Skills:
6   Climb(STR)    (3+3
11   Craft: Bows(INT) (3+2+4+2)
9   Handle Animal (CHA) (3+2+4
8   Heal (WIS) (3+3+2)
6   Knowledge; Dungeoneering INT) 3+2+1)
7   Knowledge: Geography (INT) (3+2+2)
7   Knowledge: Nature (INT) (3+2+2)
10   Perception (WIS) (3+3+4) 12 in natural surroundings
8   Profession (Bower/Fletcher) (INT) (3+3+2)
9   Ride (DEX) (3+3+3)
10   Stealth (DEX) (3+3+4)
10   Survival (WIS)(3+3+4)
6   Swim (Str) (3+3
12   Track (Survival+1/2 level)
6   Warding (INT) (2+4Languages: Common,Orc, Goblin

Feats:

Pinpoint Shot (+1 to attack within 30 feet)
Weapon Focus; Bows
Ranger’s Focus (+2 att/dam vs selected target, x2 day.
Wild Empathy (Acts like Diplo skill, ½ lvl+Cha bonus
Track (+1/2 level to survival to identify or follow tracks)
Combat Style; Bows
Precise Shot
Rapid Shot (Extra shot per rd at -2 penalty)
Endurance
Favored Terrain; Forest
Terrain Focus (Can give companionsbenefits of Favored Terrain)

Traits/racial traits:
Demon Slayer: +2 Dam vs demons, evil fae, plants and animals
Eyes of the Wild (+2 Perception in natural surroundings)

Coin:
GP13
SP:4
CP: 5

Equipment:
MW Composit longbow(STR+3: Dam: 1D8+3, Crit: x3, Rng: 110’, Wt: 3, 433.33 gp
MW Longsword (Cold Iron): Dam: 1D8, Crit: 19-20 (x2), Wt: 4, Cost: 320 gp
Dagger (Cold Iron: Dam: 1D4, Crit: 19-20 x2, Rng: 10’, Wt: 1, Cost: 4 gp
Mithral Shirt: AC: +5, Dex: +6, Penalty:+0, SF: 10% Wt: 10, Cost: 1,100  gp

Arrows, Durable(Cold Iron) , 20): 13.33,  3 lbs
Adventurer’s Sash: 25, 3 lbsBlanket, Common(x2): .2, 2 lbs
Backpack(MW): 50, 2 lbs
Bedroll: .1, 5 lbs
Canteen: 2, 1 lbs
Fishhooks (5): .5, neg
Flint/Steel: 1, neg
Grapling Hook: 1, 4 lbs
Kit, Mess: .2, 1 lbsOutfit, Explorer’s(x2): 1, 2 lbs
Rations (7): 3.5, 3.5 lbs
Rope, Silk (50 ft): 10, 5 lbs
String/twine (50’): .01, Neg
Spy Glass: 1,000, 1 lbs
Tools,Masterwork (Bow): 55, 5 lbs (+2 to craft rolls)
Total Weight: 52 lbs
Total Spent: 3,018.37
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

NicciKotor

Quote from: Blinkin on April 07, 2013, 07:04:33 PM
This is still a work in progress, but...

Name: Lydia Redfern         Player: Blinkin
Race: Human            Sex: Female
Class: Ranger(Guide)         Favored Class: Ranger
Level: 4            EXP: 14,000
Alignment: NG         Next Level: 23,000

Physical Description:
Lydia could be best described as a striking woman of unusual beauty.  A mass of rich chestnut colored hair falls about her face and shoulders in curly locks; framing a lightly tanned face that’s dominated by slightly upturned almond shaped Sky blue eyes. Slightly pouty lips under a straight nose and a firm, almost stubborn chin completes her visage.  An athletic figure with a combination of soft curves and firm muscles is accentuated with generous C-cup breast, a slender, toned waist and flaring out into rounded hips and rear. Long, lean legs and well worked arms complete the image. She is most often seen in well made, serviceable, if not overly expensive clothing in natural colors.

Personality:
Lydia is a woman who enjoys life with a zest that could leave some winded simply by watching her. A constant, vibrant energy seems to infuse her every breath and she firmly believes that life is meant to be lived, people anoyed and humor above all is to be encouraged. If you’re as likely as not to die tomorrow, live for today! A relatively good natured person, she is as much at home in a crowd of people in a tavern as she is in the wilds of the forest as she tracks evil beings wherever she might find them.

Background:
Lydia is the only child of parents with a serious taste of wonderlust and desire to see what was around the next hill; settling down only long enough to restore their supplies, make some more coin and gather up items to sell in the next town or settlement that they came to.

When Lydia was in her early teens, her family was set upon by an Orc band and it was, as to be expected, a slaughter. Her parents were killed and Lydia left for dead among the wreckage of the wagon and supplies. Lost and alone, she continued along the roadway and avoided the same band of bandits only by shere luck before she was found by a older ranger and taken under his wing just outside the town of Sandy Point. As time went on, Lydia became an not uncommon sight in the forest and surrounding lands as she learned her craft and made decent bows to sell in town from time to time for the extra coin.

Ability Scores:
STR:16  (+3) Carry: L: 77, M: 153, H: 230
DEX:17 (+3)
CON: 15 (+2)
INT: 15 (+2)
WIS: 16 +3)
CHA: 15 (+2)

Saving Throws:            Combat:
Fort: +6               HP: 42/42
Reflex: +7            Init: +5
Will: +4               Speed: 30’

Offense:               Defense:
Base Attack:+4            AC: 18
TAB: +8            AC (Flatfooted): 15
Ranged: +9               AC (Touch):13
CMB:+7            CMD: +20
AC(Special):  +2 vs Demons

Class Skills:
6   Climb(STR)    (3+3
11   Craft: Bows(INT) (3+2+4+2)
9   Handle Animal (CHA) (3+2+4
10   Heal (WIS) (3+3+4)
7   Knowledge; Dungeoneering INT) 3+2+2)
7   Knowledge: Geography (INT) (3+2+2)
7   Knowledge: Nature (INT) (3+2+2)
10   Perception (WIS) (3+3+4) 12 in natural surroundings
8   Profession (Bower/Fletcher) (INT) (3+3+2)
10   Ride (DEX) (3+3+4)
10   Stealth (DEX) (3+3+4)
10   Survival (WIS)(3+3+4)
6   Swim (Str) (3+3
12   Track (Survival+1/2 level)

Languages: Common,Orc, Goblin

Feats:

Pinpoint Shot (+1 to attack within 30 feet)
Weapon Focus; Bows
Ranger’s Focus (+2 att/dam vs selected target, x2 day.
Wild Empathy (Acts like Diplo skill, ½ lvl+Cha bonus
Track (+1/2 level to survival to identify or follow tracks)
Combat Style; Bows
Precise Shot
Rapid Shot (Extra shot per rd at -2 penalty)
Endurance
Favored Terrain; Forest
Terrain Focus (Can give companionsbenefits of Favored Terrain)

Traits/racial traits:
Demon Slayer: +2 Dam vs demons, evil fae, plants and animals
Eyes of the Wild (+2 Perception in natural surroundings)

Coin:
GP13
SP:4
CP: 5

Equipment:
MW Composit longbow(STR+3: Dam: 1D8+3, Crit: x3, Rng: 110’, Wt: 3, 433.33 gp
MW Longsword (Cold Iron): Dam: 1D8, Crit: 19-20 (x2), Wt: 4, Cost: 320 gp
Dagger (Cold Iron: Dam: 1D4, Crit: 19-20 x2, Rng: 10’, Wt: 1, Cost: 4 gp
Mithral Shirt: AC: +5, Dex: +6, Penalty:+0, SF: 10% Wt: 10, Cost: 1,100  gp

Arrows, Durable(Cold Iron) , 20): 13.33,  3 lbs
Adventurer’s Sash: 25, 3 lbsBlanket, Common(x2): .2, 2 lbs
Backpack(MW): 50, 2 lbs
Bedroll: .1, 5 lbs
Canteen: 2, 1 lbs
Fishhooks (5): .5, neg
Flint/Steel: 1, neg
Grapling Hook: 1, 4 lbs
Kit, Mess: .2, 1 lbsOutfit, Explorer’s(x2): 1, 2 lbs
Rations (7): 3.5, 3.5 lbs
Rope, Silk (50 ft): 10, 5 lbs
String/twine (50’): .01, Neg
Spy Glass: 1,000, 1 lbs
Tools,Masterwork (Bow): 55, 5 lbs (+2 to craft rolls)
Total Weight: 52 lbs
Total Spent: 3,018.37

Use plothook you barbarian.

Blinkin

As I've mentioned in the past, I CAN'T use either plothook or mythweaver. They are not compatable with my accessible  software.

I will admit that of the two, plothook is about half accessible, but neither of us would probably like the results or the amount of time that it would take to get it right to begin with.

If the text is an issue, I will respectfully withdraw my interest.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

NicciKotor

Mysterica

Well now, I suppose I could be willing to throw some interest in as a fighter.

NicciKotor

Quote from: Mysterica on April 08, 2013, 12:44:06 AM
Well now, I suppose I could be willing to throw some interest in as a fighter.

Horray! Whips for everyone!

Shaitan

ooh I have enjoyed reading these books, I've been reading the daylight war...
Ok if I snag a ranger variant the spell less ranger from kobold press? less feel of fighter druid rogue, more fighter rogue with a nature bent. I can help you snag the book for it if you want to check it out. PM me if you would like to check it out. I think it would really work well with the world.

NicciKotor

I need a primary warder first and foremost. And we already have a ranger.

Also, while thinking about it, I can make warding a skill to be added to the game. Anyone can put points into it and be able to use wards, but only warders can use spell wards in such a manner.

Also I have not yet read the daylight war, so no spoilers or you be flayed.

Shaitan

I can help you acquire it if you want to have access to it, I figure bribing the dm always works... and darn on the ranger lol, been dying to play this variant since it could also provide non magical healing that fits really well with the world using herbs and poultices. If warding is a skill this guy could be easily viable as the warder, would make total sense really without magic at all.... up to you though mwa ha ha, even going so far as to take skill focus with it warding :D

NicciKotor

Also the warder would be the leader of the group when you venture out into the wilds. Since it is basically...

"Without me you fuckers are all DOOOOOMED! MUWYWHAHAHAHAHAAA! Now lick my feet clean!"

who149

oh~ new class. If nobody else wants it I'll be the Warder, if not then Bard. 
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

NicciKotor

Quote from: who149 on April 08, 2013, 07:48:54 PM
oh~ new class. If nobody else wants it I'll be the Warder, if not then Bard.

The Demonwar Saga is the only piece of fantasy literature I've found where the bard was Tier 1 in power level and not the main character. He was so powerful that one of the main characters offered up two of his virgin daughters for him to marry.

Shaitan

yep bard's are insane in this setting, the sheer range of what they can do is beautiful lol

NicciKotor

Quote from: Shaitan on April 08, 2013, 07:55:21 PM
yep bard's are insane in this setting, the sheer range of what they can do is beautiful lol

Yes, but only one of them went into tier 1 power levels.

who149

I claim bard then. *puts flag down* Nobody can take this flag from me.

Ons and offs!

Shaitan

trust me get's better, so much better, and follows another character's background which is great for adding flavor to the world. Yes I'm trying to avoid spoilers, even have the ebook right in front of me right now reading... half way through it... yes I am evil.

NicciKotor

Quote from: who149 on April 08, 2013, 08:03:48 PM
I claim bard then. *puts flag down* Nobody can take this flag from me.

Bard's belong to guilds that entertain the masses and distract them from the hellscape that is the demons that prowl the night. So, basically, as long as you tell a really good story or play the fiddle, you don't have to pay for anything while in a town or a hamlet and free whores as far as the eyes can see.

who149

Real quick. Am I reading this right. 4d6 Reroll 1's and 2's. So we don't drop the lowest?

Ons and offs!

NicciKotor

Quote from: who149 on April 08, 2013, 08:39:55 PM
Real quick. Am I reading this right. 4d6 Reroll 1's and 2's. So we don't drop the lowest?

Always drop the lowest.

who149

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12085

Still need too Spend some of my money, but here he is. May look for a better picture while i'm at it.

Ons and offs!