News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakharra

Quote from: Cycle on July 24, 2015, 01:03:59 PM
YES!  ;D

Meadow Party for the win:  Trump / Bill 2016!  Ack!  Phffft!

Bill the Cat for VP!

Oniya

I think there would be some sort of scandal with that ticket.  Very likely involving Bill and Trump's toupee.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dice

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 24, 2015, 04:34:53 AM
Using emotionally charged events like this shooting to promote anti-gun sentiment/legislation seems kind of manipulative to me. The argument effectively becomes "if you support the right to bear arms, then you support this horrendous act"  which is just plain wrong.

It's not the weapon that causes death, it's the asshole who's pulling the trigger and that asshole will simply switch to some other instrument of destruction if a gun is not obtainable legally or illegally. Sure, we can make things like Clorox, razor blades, kitchen knives and pipes illegal too, but I don't think that would work very well either.
Yep, taking guns away from people is a really bad idea. That's why there have been no mass shootings here in 18 years.

Guns are unique in their effects and ability. You can't shoot up a school with a razor, I would love to see someone try. I am also fairly sure that I can kill more little girls in an Amish school with a firearm then I can a razor. But hell, best not face that issue head on.

Not to say I am against guns. I live on farmland, grew up on farmland. Everyone around me owns a long arm of some kind. But farmers treat guns like tools, lock them away in pieces and only open the safe when you need them. Like when a cow has a breach birth. That's a reason to own a gun. The only reason to own a gun.

Iniquitous

Quote from: Dice on July 25, 2015, 08:27:36 AM
Yep, taking guns away from people is a really bad idea. That's why there have been no mass shootings here in 18 years.

Monash University Shooting, Melbourne Victoria October 21, 2002 - 2 deaths and 5 injured
Hunt family murders, Lockhart New South Wales September 9, 2014 - 5 dead

It's never a good thing to claim something without researching first.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on July 25, 2015, 09:40:16 AM
Monash University Shooting, Melbourne Victoria October 21, 2002 - 2 deaths and 5 injured

Joseph Schwab - 1987, Schwab shot dead 5 people in and around the Kimberley region in Western Australia before being shot dead by police.[3]
Hoddle Street massacre - Armed with two rifles and a shotgun, Julian Knight shot 7 people dead and wounded another 19 in 1987 before surrendering to authorities.
Queen Street massacre - Armed with a sawn-off rifle, Frank Vitkovic roamed the Australia Post building on December the 8th 1987 . killing 8 and wounding 5, also in 1987. When the weapon was finally wrestled from him, he committed suicide by jumping out of a nearby window.
Surry Hills massacre - Paul Anthony Evers killed 5 people with a 12-gauge shotgun at a public housing precinct in Surry Hills in 1990 before surrendering to police.[4]
Strathfield massacre - In 1991 Wade Frankum killed 7 people and wounded 6 others with a large knife and an SKS before turning the gun on himself when he realised he could not escape.
Central Coast Massacre - In 1992, Malcolm Baker killed 6 people and injured another with a shotgun in 1992 before being arrested by police.

And main case of mass shooting

Port Arthur massacre - In 1996, armed with two semi-automatic rifles, Martin Bryant killed 35 people around Port Arthur and wounded 21 before being caught by police the next day following an overnight siege.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_mass_murders - Source

But I do still support gun ownership, just something has to be done with idiots that abuse em.

Edit: My bad, for some reason I was thinking it 2005. >.<

2011 Hectorville siege - A mass shooting that took place on Friday, April 29, 2011, in Hectorville, South Australia. It began after a 39-year-old male, Donato Anthony Corbo, went on a shooting rampage, killing three people and wounding a child and two police officers, before being arrested by Special Operations police after an eight-hour siege.[6]

There we go.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Dice

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on July 25, 2015, 09:40:16 AM

"An FBI crime classification report from 2005 identifies an individual as a mass murderer if he kills four or more people in a single incident (not including himself), typically in a single location. "

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/08/what-is-a-mass-shooting

I aint talking out of my ass here, I happened to know what defines a "Mass shooting" and it is something we have not had since a very sad day in 96.

Granted, I would not know what I am talking about since I live in a country so devoid of freedom that I have to walk down the street at night without fear of being shot and killed. The US saddens me. "The greatest country in the world" is nothing but a hostage to its own failed state where it serves up the best democracy money can buy.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Dice on July 25, 2015, 10:29:01 AM
"An FBI crime classification report from 2005 identifies an individual as a mass murderer if he kills four or more people in a single incident (not including himself), typically in a single location. "

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/08/what-is-a-mass-shooting

I aint talking out of my ass here, I happened to know what defines a "Mass shooting" and it is something we have not had since a very sad day in 96.

Ummm..

Noooo.

Mass shooting is still a mass shooting regardless of whether four people end up killed or not in the process. If four people end up killed, it is defined as a 'mass murder,' but the terminology still stands of it for being a mass shooting whether or not four people died, four people are injured, or the shooter is completely dealing with poor aim and misses everyone.  It sounds silly for it to not be label for for mass shooting if someone ends up shooting ten people in a public area or in a general vicinity with group of people, but only injures them. That isn't mass shooting? Four people need to die? ;\

"Broadly speaking, the term refers to an incident involving multiple victims of gun violence. But there is no official set of criteria or definition for a mass shooting, according to criminology experts and FBI officials who have spoken with Mother Jones."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Dice

Whatever. Wake me up when the next Mass shooting happens in Australia. I need to sleep in. I am glad I live here and not there.

Blythe

Gun control and ownership needs its own topic at this point if there is going to be extended debate. If anyone would like to continue the topic, make a new thread please rather than using this one.

Lustful Bride

Cycle

Quote from: Oniya on July 24, 2015, 09:26:39 PM
I think there would be some sort of scandal with that ticket.  Very likely involving Bill and Trump's toupee.

Found them!  Here, you can read the Trump series yourself.

I completely forgot that the series ended with Trump being transplanted into Bill.  So we can't have a Trump/Bill ticket.  We need to find someone else to be Veep.  So what do ya'll think?  Cruz?  Perry?  Opus?  ;D

Oniya

You should check out the recent ones on Breathed's FB page. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Dashenka

So after recent attacks of IS into Turkey, Turkey has finally decided to help and bomb targets of IS.

This is a good thing. Turkey is a major player in the region and can really aid in the fight against extremist muslims like IS.

They have even called an emergency meeting with NATO.

Unfortunately, Erdogan, slippery as he is, is naming the PKK in the same breath as IS. Now I don't agree with any extremist group but we all know that when Turkey says they are attacking PKK targets, what they actually mean, is they randomly arrest Kurds for no apparent reason. 

Bit of mixed feelings on all this :)
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

gaggedLouise

Apparently Snoop Dogg's car getting stopped, on suspicion of driving under the influence of pot the day after a gig in Stockholm, and the rapper being taken to the police station in order to pee in a test mug, is the biggest piece (pun half intended) of world news out of Sweden for some time. Lots of major news outlets picked up on it. The star says he was racially profiled. Dogg has woffed vowed never to do a show in Sweden again, and issued some videos directing expletives at the Swedish police.  ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Drake Valentine

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 26, 2015, 07:21:56 PM
Apparently Snoop Dogg's car getting stopped, on suspicion of driving under the influence of pot the day after a gig in Stockholm, and the rapper being taken to the police station in order to pee in a test mug, is the biggest piece (pun half intended) of world news out of Sweden for some time. Lots of major news outlets picked up on it. The star says he was racially profiled. Dogg has woffed vowed never to do a show in Sweden again, and issued some videos directing expletives at the Swedish police.  ::)

You mean Snoop Lion or did he go back to 'Dogg?'

Sara Nilsson

so.. him saying he wont come to Sweden is a bad thing.. how? *puzzled* One would think that would be something he would do to reward a country

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Drake Valentine on July 26, 2015, 07:33:47 PM
You mean Snoop Lion or did he go back to 'Dogg?'

I checked with the Swedish Wikipedia and saw a note that he had changed his name to Snoopzilla about two years ago...Not sure if that one lasted.

Somebody on the talk page had suggested moving the article to The Artist Formerly Known as Snoop Dogg, as a proactive move in case he'd change his name again, but that was rejected...  :P He's still listed as Snoop Dogg over there.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 26, 2015, 07:21:56 PM

So no shows in Sweden=Less money....:P I feel that there wasn't much thought put into this.

Also didn't he change his name to Snoop Lion?

gaggedLouise

He's always had a solid fan base around here, so it may not be a final decision. ^_ ^

Sara Nilsson

Apparently snoop lion is his monicker when doing the more reggae based music. same as he calls himself Dj snoopzilla when doing more techo based. but his latest album is under the name snoop dog. (all according to wikipedia as you couldnt pay me to listen to his.. music).

so his name is still snoop dogg. it seems unless doing a side project.. or he is particularly high..

Drake Valentine

Yea, but on Wikipedia it said he legally had his name changed to Snoop 'Lion,' in 2009-ish(?) so I dunno. >.<

Lustful Bride

Woman who was nearly raped fought and killed her attacker, who some evidence says is a possible serial killer.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/west-virginia-woman-who-shot-alleged-attacker-may-have-slain-serial-killer/ar-AAduEL6?ocid=iehp

Hell yes.

Sara Nilsson

she deserves a medal!! good job

Dashenka

Roseanne Barr... you know.. the fat pig, has now angered everybody in the Netherlands by blaming them for the death of Anne Frank, basically calling every Dutchman a nazi.

I knew she was a dumb fat pig the day she announced she wanted to be president of Israel but this is a whole new level of stupid.

She also says anti semitism is rising in the Netherlands and she based it all on.... wikipedia.

https://twitter.com/therealroseanne/status/625560157846532096
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Oniya

Wow - Roseanne still thinks she's relevant?