Nightwood Falls - Freeform Horror Based Game (Closed Until Sept!)

Started by Rel Mayer, September 26, 2014, 05:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rel Mayer

Quote from: TeacupTwink on September 30, 2014, 11:26:29 AM
I feel excitement, also you're nearly at a 1,000 views. People are all up in this, excited as .... curse words. c:

I would say that 999 of them are me. ;)

Torterrable

Fear has a captivating aura about it that no other emotion can emulate.

Personally, I hate it, but cannot draw my eyes away.

TeacupTwink

Sindra

Some chatter in the OOC thread has brought up some valid points and I wished to post in here about the threads that will be opened when the game starts...

So - Rel and I have been talking and have decided to add a Monster Lair thread when the game starts.  That way, the monsters can enjoy their victims for normal and nightmare categories in their lairs.  The Hell category will still be there for content that goes falls under the extremes that are listed for the Hell content.  There will still be Normal and Nightmare content in the other threads too so please pay attention to content warnings.

So, for the moment, we are looking at these starting threads

Mansion - Inside and around the mansion, rooms within the mansion, etc
Town - All the town buildings and such will be included in here
Forest (for out of town) - the forest and mountain areas will be included in this thread
Monster Lairs - the lairs of the individual monsters.  Those with victims that they wish to play with in any Normal or Nightmare rating can post it in here if they so chose
Hell - All Hell rated content should be in this thread.

They will have likely have cooler names but this is the general idea.  Bear in mind that, no matter where the posts are going, the tagging and content warnings are going to be super important!  There are going to be some posts that people may want to skip over based on what's in the content warnings!

Roen

Name: Stranger

Character Type: Monster

Occupation: Shape Shifter, Master of Nightmares, Creator of human monsters. He resides in the town's sewer system and in his past victims' dreams.

Physical Description: The truest description of Stranger is a puddle of goo. Other than that, he could be anyone, anything and anywhere he damn well pleases to be. He can be the grocer at the market, your husband coming back from taking out the garbage, your daughter after taking a long bath, he can even be the couch you are sitting so comfortably on right now. 

Personality: Childish, he's very young, as far as doppelgangers go. He's impulsive and self-centered, easily excitable, yet cruel and hot tempered, he likes getting off. A lot.

History: Do you know how sometimes politicians say how "I am the people of this town, the people of this town are me"? Well, Stranger actually is the people of this town. Over the years, the town has taken many lives, either by the knowing or the monsters that have lurked around. Many of the victims have been discarded into the nearest available dump site- the sewers. Tens upon hundreds of bodies accumulated there, sweating, spoiling, rotting… And that's Stranger, or, at least, what stranger originally was- the rot. Stranger came out of the rot of hundreds of corpses of innocent people who were brutally and tragically murdered. First he grew on them, and then he started to consume them.

At first he was nothing more than a slimy fungus, unintelligent, his entire being focused on one thing- consuming the rotten flesh, decompose it like the good little bacteria he was. But something happened, perhaps it was the proximity to the lake monster's energy, maybe it was the countless terrible ways in which those people have died… Stranger evolved, he became more. More conscious, more mobile, hungrier… He ate and he ate and he ate- cleaning the bones, dissolving the bones, eating up the marrow. Day in and day out, as time progressed, the body-count only grew, and Stranger thrived.

Soon he discovered that he can not only eat the flesh and the bones, he can study them while digesting them. He could mimic them, he could grow them himself, he could become them. Stranger indulged himself in every new thing he could grow- a nose, a hand, an ear, a tongue…Eyes! Seeing the sewers around him, he discovered that he could mimic stone, he could mimic plants, and wood, and cloth, he could be the world!

Soon after he became bored. Sure, he could be anybody and anything he wanted, but he was so lonely, so bored, so unchallenged. What good is it to eat things that don't even talk back? So he got out, and walked among the flesh things while they were still fresh. Their fragrances confused him, they didn't smell as tasty as the ones he was storing downstairs. They smelled… Unripe, under seasoned, but he did love to hear the funny sounds they made when he ate them.

He discovered there were different ways to eat meat. Sure, you could season it with a bit of mold and rot, but that took so long to happen! He discovered that scared meat tasted well, and pained meat tasted even better, however- insane meat was truly a delicacy. He discovered that if he gave them just a little bit of himself and set them free, he could stay in touch with them and scare them during the nights, he could frighten them repeatedly and get them ready to eat. If he did that often enough, for a long enough period of time, he could drive them insane- and then really have a feast! He once had a man driven mad and kill his wife and two daughters, and when he came to visit him- the man actually joined him in eating his family's bodies. Stranger had so much fun, it was such an attraction, seeing meat eating other meat and then having the meat eating meat for dessert. Good times.

One thing he doesn't eat or mimic is monsters, he had a monster a while back, it gave him indigestion- an experience he does not care to repeat. So he can't morph into monsters generally, he has the one mimic he can do and he saves it as a last resort only. 

Quirks:

• Shape-Shifting. That's pretty straight forward. He can change into anything he wants. Which makes luring victims into traps mighty easy.
  • Dream-Weaving. Once he gets a bit of himself into a victim, he can send him night and day terrors to frighten the victim, get them ready in time for dinner. *Discloser: I am fully aware that this means a certain form of mind control, controlling another person's dreams. It's not for everyone, only for those who wish to be raped then afterwards have to struggle with the nightmares.When he rapes, he does so in semi-humanoid form, which will be agreed upon with the player.
  • Rapid Regeneration. You can't kill Stranger by stabbing or dismembering, he can grow new organs faster than you can cut them off, and he doesn't really need them in the first place… Remember, couch?
  • Superior Mobility. He lives in the sewer system. Where there is plumbing, he can go.

Flaws:

• Fluidity. He can't stay in one form for too long, he will start showing deformities after the first eight hours. And that situation can't be mended until he returns to his true form, it's like he exhausted his shape shifting ability just by keeping the current shape. Which is also why he can only alter the original human he's mimicking to a certain extant, like changing the bone structure, the muscular mass and creating growth. There are so many changes he can do before he starts losing control over his shape and deteriorate back into liquid form.
  • Temperamental. And I mean this in the most literal way. In extreme temperatures, he will get damaged. For instance, in extreme cold- his regeneration slows down, as well as his movement speed, however, his shapes' durability timer is longer. In extreme heat, he grows deformities faster and risks losing control over his shape.
  • Destructive Fluids. Concentrated acid, Lava, liquid nitrogen (A LOT of it) that's the only way to destroy him, but you'd need to seal him in an entire pool of that liquid for a couple of hours. He won't die so easily.
  • Childlike Behavior. He's very impulsive, very urge-oriented, easily distracted and extremely excitable (OOH! A PENNY!).

List your O&O: My O&Os

Specify Ons:

• NC- With humans/monsters.
  • BDSM- Only if it's plot related.
  • Gangbang- Again, plot related, and probably NC related too.

Specify Hard Offs:

• Hard Gore- My problem is with the execution; No eyeballs popping out, no stomach turning descriptions that are unnecessary for the plot. I get violence, I can deal with blood, spilled guts and chopped organs, what I can't deal with is lengthy descriptions that reach the point of indulging in gore.
  • Piercings- A lasting problem of mine, I just can't stomach the concept of metal going through living flesh and staying there. Do what you want with your characters, but kindly leave mine out of it.
  • Bathroom Play- I'm okay with watersports, but everything that isn't liquid should go in the toilet as far as my characters are concerned.

Sexuality: He likes men, they taste better (mostly because of manly body odor, girls, don't be offended! He likes stinky things!).

Content Level: Nightmare

Death? (Y/N) Degree of Death? (Normal, Nightmare, Hell): Yes. Nightmare.

Face Claim?: The Flesh. Doctor Who.

Come and Write with Me! (O/Os and Ideas)
Even the oldest of sights has a moment of rebirth.
-Nathan Alterman.

Rel Mayer

Little Note:

Everyone should have been contacted about any pending sheets by now. If we missed you - please sent a PM with Sindra, Strangefate, and I CCed to it.

:) Thanks everyone for being awesome!

Aiden

Are you guys suffering with an overage of monsters? I like this concept, but I just want to be a monster.

FallenFeather

Strangefate

Quote from: Aiden
Are you guys suffering with an overage of monsters? I like this concept, but I just want to be a monster.

Oh no, plenty of room for everything still.  We’d love to have you make a monster, Aiden.  :-) 

Quote from: FallenFeather
This seems really interesting! Are you still recruiting? :)

Absolutely!  Recruiting is still very much ongoing.  Shoot us your ideas or let us know if you need any help!
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Rel Mayer

Aiden

Question -

Is this the first time the monsters manifest? Or has their been other "fog" events where they run rampant?

I have a concept (which needs approval)

But it is basically...

"The Maker"

Former Doctor who's entire goal is to make the "perfect" monster. Via operating on other monsters or turning humans (Both knowing and victims/main characters) into monsters.

If permitted by Rel, I would like to be the monster who sewed the pig face onto her murder/zombie.

And work with the current monsters, maybe establish a background with them.

Maybe even do some more "evil" science, glaze over the details but experiment on blood and such.

I'm thinking his lair will be a fallout shelter located under the University.

GnothiSeauton

Random question...

I was getting ready to work on a character sheet (finally) and had a question that's somewhat integral for my character and the story/history.

What state/general location is Nightwood Falls in?

Forgive me if it's already been stated, or if it's mentioned in the main thread.  I didn't see it, but did notice talk of puritans, which made me think of some New England state, but I just wanted to see what the state was in which Nightwood Falls is located.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

King Serperior

To everyone making or planning on making monsters:

I have donated quite a few images from my various collections of finds from around the internet and left those images here and here.  Please, feel free to use these images as a base for any monster you may want if you so desire!

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Aiden on October 01, 2014, 04:11:45 PM
Question -

Is this the first time the monsters manifest? Or has their been other "fog" events where they run rampant?

I have a concept (which needs approval)

But it is basically...

"The Maker"

Former Doctor who's entire goal is to make the "perfect" monster. Via operating on other monsters or turning humans (Both knowing and victims/main characters) into monsters.

If permitted by Rel, I would like to be the monster who sewed the pig face onto her murder/zombie.

And work with the current monsters, maybe establish a background with them.

Maybe even do some more "evil" science, glaze over the details but experiment on blood and such.

I'm thinking his lair will be a fallout shelter located under the University.

When the IC starts - most of the monsters would have been around, but not really holding on to much power. A majority of them would be dead ad just waiting to come to life - depending on what sort of monster it was. People probably see them around, but they don't really put much thought into it. (Sort of like ghostly spirits) When the IC starts The Dweller gives them life and they begin to grow strong.

So yeah - your idea would work fine, because he could be running around making all of these monsters until the IC starts and the come alive. I wouldn't mind if your character would also be the one who made her as well.

It would be interesting to think of the fact that your monster would probably be mostly human - which was how he began to make some of the monsters. But maybe did some modifications on himself as well? So when the IC starts he turns into a monster himself? Sorry if I'm branching away from the idea that you had, but I was just trying to think of a way for this concept to stay in the monster category and still be able to do what you want it to do. :)

But either way - I personally like the idea and am curious to see the sheet!

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on October 01, 2014, 04:15:53 PM
Random question...

I was getting ready to work on a character sheet (finally) and had a question that's somewhat integral for my character and the story/history.

What state/general location is Nightwood Falls in?

Forgive me if it's already been stated, or if it's mentioned in the main thread.  I didn't see it, but did notice talk of puritans, which made me think of some New England state, but I just wanted to see what the state was in which Nightwood Falls is located.

-cough-

Ummm... I may have left it a bit vague. I did imagine it a bit of a New England feel, so I'm going to say Maine.

Aiden

Quote from: Rel Mayer on October 01, 2014, 04:28:07 PM
When the IC starts - most of the monsters would have been around, but not really holding on to much power. A majority of them would be dead ad just waiting to come to life - depending on what sort of monster it was. People probably see them around, but they don't really put much thought into it. (Sort of like ghostly spirits) When the IC starts The Dweller gives them life and they begin to grow strong.

So yeah - your idea would work fine, because he could be running around making all of these monsters until the IC starts and the come alive. I wouldn't mind if your character would also be the one who made her as well.

It would be interesting to think of the fact that your monster would probably be mostly human - which was how he began to make some of the monsters. But maybe did some modifications on himself as well? So when the IC starts he turns into a monster himself? Sorry if I'm branching away from the idea that you had, but I was just trying to think of a way for this concept to stay in the monster category and still be able to do what you want it to do. :)

But either way - I personally like the idea and am curious to see the sheet!

I was thinking of being one of those, Urban Legends to add to the town. After World War 2, a former Nazi Doctor remade his life in the small town. Just rumors and urban legends, only this one turned out to be true.

So he has been at work since the 40's, keeping himself alive. Perhaps found a part of the lake monster, or some other monster and has been playing "god" even since. He would have been human at the start, but is keeping himself alive via blood and other "Horror" medicine/science means.

I was thinking of using robert carlyle as a face claim, but that is only if he is able to "cover" up himself and pass over for a human (which I would ask for Gm permission for)

as for my ideas with him, I am willing to let people escape him without much injury. I want him to be more suspense and terror then outright gore and violence (not that I am opposed to a little medical horror, if he gets the victims back to his lair)

Lair

Rel Mayer

It seems like a very interesting concept! I can't wait to see the sheet so Sindra, Strangefate, and I can review it if you want to make it happen! :D

Aiden

Alrighty, I will work on this sheet and send it to the three of you.

He is coming for you...

Rel Mayer

Roen

Name: "Sin" or "Dr. Sin", real name unknown.

Character Type: Knowing

Occupation: The Knowing's appointed physician. Resides in the belly of the Knowing's headquarters.

Physical Description: Those who have seen him in line of duty, haven't lived to tell the tale. To those who have worked beside him, he seemed like a severely disturbed individual, yet human nonetheless, with a shaved head, this sickening costume/weapon. The sides of his mouth have been roughly stitched to keep the tubes in, the purpose of the tubes is unclear.

Personality: Brisk, grumpy, a true man of few words. To his victims, he is cold and uncaring, rarely actually angered when he strikes, his work is a thing of precision and self-control. When he is angered, he's like a beast, but those who lived to tell of his anger were usually the ones standing outside the room, listening to the screams coming from within.   

History: So you have your average knowing- those two-faced snakes, going about their days like any everyday man or woman. They would lie to your face, greet you when they see you on the street, offer your kids some candy, and offer a helping hand when they see you hauling more than you can carry. Sin is precisely the opposite.
He doesn't go outside of the Knowing headquarters, he won't greet you hello when you see him, the best you'd get out of him (the knowing ones of you) is an intimidating grunt. He won't offer a helping hand, because his metallic clawed gloves never come off, and he would never tell you a lie. He won't have to. Because, if you're not of the cult, and you've reached the point when you are sent to see him, the time for lies has long past, then it would be the time for pain.

Sin is the Knowing physician, and he's there to supply the cult with treatments they wouldn't be able to get at the local clinic. He separates men from their lies, his specialty is extracting the truth out of living things, helping them overcome their sanity, and eventually- discarding of whatever is left. He is the cult's main investigator, torturer and executioner.

No one but the highest ranking members of the cult know where he came from, most low ranking members never had to work beside him, he is kept where no pretty faces are needed. The red band on his left forearm makes people think that he used to be a Nazi, although he hardly seems old enough to be a World War 2 criminal, and the red band has no markings on it. When he goes out, it's usually while the sirens are blasting and the mists are at large, he walks among the monsters, getting to those that require a more guided hand than the average monster can provide. For that he had been rumored to be a little less than human (or a little more). No one that ever spoken to him would be able to claim that the man wasn't alive and intelligent, but there's an off feeling about him, something not quite right. Some say the knowing crossed a line with him, that they had him take a session with a different kind of a notorious 'Doctor' that was in the service of the lake monster.

Quirks:

• Medical Learning. If you know how to heal, then you know how to hurt. Sin could have been a talented healer indeed.
  • Agility. He's pretty quick for a man, don't let his clumsy looking outfit to fool you. That isn't to say that if and when you see him, you shouldn't run. You just need to run faster.
  • Strength. He's not just all claws, he's strong as well, beware.
  • Metallic Claws. These aren't his hands, these are gloves, but he never takes them off, they're his favorite weapon. And. He. Never. Takes. Them. Off. I'm not sure what he does when he needs to go to the bathroom.
  • Human. That's to say that he's not your average monster. He's focused, he's clever and cunning, he's resourceful and he doesn't rely on the mist for strength.

Flaws:

• Ugly as a Baby Wombat. Unlike most other knowing, you can see him coming from a mile, he can't fool you with a smile and a friendly pat on the shoulder, and he won't try to.
  • Fatigue. Unlike the monsters, he can get tired. If you outrun him long enough, he'd probably leave you alone… Temporarily.
  • Obedience. He has his orders and he follows them to the letter. If you're not on his shopping list and you don't pose a threat- he won't touch you. If you somehow get one of his superiors to call him off, even while he's cutting you- he'll leave you alone. He'd probably even try to stitch you back up, if you can stomach his bedside manners.
  • Suit and Claws. Here's the thing. His getup is pretty big and awkward, but that's not even the best part. If any of the tubes in his outfit gets undone or detached, and there's no immediate threat in his area, he will stop, he will take a seat and he will fix the loose tube. He'd probably find a way to cripple you before he does, though, so be careful.
  • Human. Again, not a monster, he can be killed- as easily as any of the other knowing, which isn't as easy as a regular human, but a lot easier than a monster.

Link your O&O: My O&Os

Specify Ons:

• NC- With humans/monsters.
  • BDSM- Only if it's plot related.

Specify Hard Offs:

• Hard Gore- My problem is with the execution; No eyeballs popping out, no stomach turning descriptions that are unnecessary for the plot. I get violence, I can deal with blood, spilled guts and chopped organs, what I can't deal with is lengthy descriptions that reach the point of indulging in gore.
  • Knife Play- I don't mind blood, I don’t mind cuts, but unless I give you specific permission, don't cut off anything that you can't glue back on. Thanks.
  • Piercings- A lasting problem of mine, I just can't stomach the concept of metal going through living flesh and staying there. Do what you want with your characters, but kindly leave mine out of it.
  • Bathroom Play- I'm okay with watersports, but everything that isn't liquid should go in the toilet as far as my characters are concerned.
  • Cannibalism- Anything beyond blood drinking should be done swiftly, during a fight/a chase.
  • Mutilation- I'm a team player, I don't mind losing an eye or a finger for the team, but stay away from the nether region and talk to me in private before that happens.

Sexuality: Much like his attacks, he only rapes when given specific instructions to do so. When he does, the gender won't matter, he isn't picky. 

Content Level: Nightmare.

Death? (Y/N) Degree of Death? Yes, Nightmare.

Face Claim?: Frankenstein's Army, unsure about the specific name of this creature.

Come and Write with Me! (O/Os and Ideas)
Even the oldest of sights has a moment of rebirth.
-Nathan Alterman.

GnothiSeauton

Just sent my character sheet to Howling to look over, since we're doing a brother and sister duo!  After he looks over it, I'll post it here for everyone to take a look at.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Black Howling

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on October 01, 2014, 10:25:18 PM
Just sent my character sheet to Howling to look over, since we're doing a brother and sister duo!  After he looks over it, I'll post it here for everyone to take a look at.

And what a character it is!!

GnothiSeauton

Name:  Madison White

Character Type: Main Character

Occupation:  Waitress and babysitter in Boston.  Originally from outside of Bangor, Maine.

Physical Description:  The little spitfire known as Madison White stands at about five foot five.  There are a few tattoos across her body, one upon her back shoulder, another upon her inner thigh.  Almost always she goes for the casual style of clothing, laid back in jeans and shirts. 

Personality: Madson is a girl who you wouldn’t want upset at you.  At times, she can be a sweet and charming girl, one who aims to please those she likes, and yet once you cross her, she will make your life a living hell.  She has been known to have a bit of a temper, but has been working on keeping herself calm through anger management.  From her work as a waitress, she tries to keep a straight face and act calm, especially when it comes to customers, but isn’t afraid to spit in the food if you piss her off too much.  In general she is the friendly sort of individual, polite to those who haven’t gotten on her bad side, and is willing to help when she can.

History: (Going to try to keep this short and sweet…)  Ever since she was a young girl, Madison had dreams of getting out and away from the small town of Aurora.  She didn’t want to be the type who fell into that complacent normalcy when it came to living there.  When she graduated high school with her twin brother, Madison didn’t wait around before leaving for the big city.  Her family was left behind as she went off to live her life, vanished to chase her dreams and hopes.

She lives in Boston, working the odd jobs here and there to make ends meet, but she’s happy in her life.  Barely did she keep up with her family, talking here and there with her brother and friends, but for the most part, she was focused on living her life in Boston, on her own, and away from being sucked into the black pit that was Aurora.

Finding out through her brother that her mother, the long time matriarch who was slowly withering away from illness, was a bitter pill to swallow.  She had missed the death and burial of her father, for reasons never made known to her brother and mother, and she was not about to miss the moment to say goodbye to her mother.  Her brother drove down to Boston to pick her up, to drive back home together, to work through unresolved issues, to try and patch up their troubled relationship as they face the task of putting their mother to rest, unknowing that they would become stuck in Nightwood Falls during a moment of a rest.

Quirks: Must have 2+ and be equal to Flaws. These are positive characteristics that can help your character survive. There is where you would list weapons.

• City Tough:  She’s a tough girl, used to city life and the darker elements that come with it.  Being in the big city has only hardened her rough exterior when it comes to stressful situations.
  • High Pain Tolerance:  For most of her life, she’s had a high tolerance when it comes to receiving pain.  She’s not invincible, but not an easy nut to crack, so to speak.

Flaws: Must have 2+ and be equal to quirks. These are negative characteristics which could lead to harm for your character.

• Drug Addiction:  The reason she missed her father’s death and funeral.  She has an addiction to pills that has been hard for her to break, despite her efforts and attempts at sober programs.
  • Anger Issues:  Another issue she has been working through.  Her anger often gets the best of her in situations, and has a bit of a reputation among friends for it.

Link your O&OLink

Specify Ons:  Nothing in particular!

Specify Hard Offs:  BRING IT ON!  Open to anything and everything.

Sexuality:  Straight

Content Level:  HELL!!!

Death? (Y/N) Degree of Death? (Normal, Nightmare, Hell):  No. 

Face Claim?:  Megan Fox

Seeking New Stories

Strangefate

She looks great Gnothi!  Looking forward to seeing her in play.  The other two GMs will still need to approve her before she can go up in the Character thread of course, but I don’t doubt they'll get back to you soon.  :-)
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

GnothiSeauton

It's rare when I take everything off the table in regards to Off's.  I usually leave something or two up there, but am so excited and so inspired for this.

Seeking New Stories