The Walking Dead

Started by elfguy, August 10, 2013, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elfguy

400 days have passed since the dead started walking again. The world is in chaos and few people have managed to make it this far. Down in Arkansas, a small group of survivors have managed to create a small shelter in a rural community. Held up in a police station, they barricaded the windows and have lived on scavenged supplies. But the supplies are running low, and several members have recently been lost to bites or raiders. Now it's time to go out and find new sources of food to bring back to the station, along with new members to help out.

I personally love The Walking Dead so I thought we could make a game where a group of survivors (All OCs) would survive in this post apocalyptic world. For this RP you could play either one of the group members or a random person who meet them during the story. I'd like this to be about the daily struggles they face, some people may not be all that trustworthy, others may be kind while some may be hostile. A wide variety of players would help for this. I'd like to avoid a group of para-military types. Post if you'd like to try this out!

Character sheet:

Picture:

Name:

Role: (in the group / outside the group)

Equipment:

Bio:
----

elfguy

Name: Jessica

Role: Group leader

Equipment: She typically wears shorts, a training top, sneakers, her grey hoodie and a backpack containing basic supplies, knives and a sturdy axe

Bio: Jessica is not a natural born leader, and has never desired to become in charge of any survival group. But she is very peculiar in her ability to be down to earth, and very pragmatic. She doesn't let emotions cloud her judgement and always does what's best for herself, and for those she feels the need to protect. As such, she managed to survive and whenever a decision needed to be taken, she was the first to suggest a course of action. Her decisions are not always liked, far from it. Many think she is rude, crud and without a heart, but she doesn't let those comments get to her. She remains surprisingly calm in all situations, whether that be when deciding if someone should live or die, or when running from a horde of walkers.

Jessica isn't that good with weapons, but she is a very athletic person. She can outrun any horde, climb poles, or jump between two roofs. When she needs to fight, she doesn't hesitate either. She rarely uses a gun, since ammo is so scarce and guns are so loud. Instead, she became good at throwing knives into walkers' heads, and using her axe in melee. Before the apocalypse, she used to be a running nationwide champion.

At 24, she certainly is not the most experienced, and knows enough to listen to advices. But when she decides something, few can make her change her mind. Several weeks ago, after helping a few people out of a bad situation, she spotted the police station and decided that this would be their new shelter. Since then, several more people added themselves to the group, and she became the defacto leader. She likes to stay disciplined and runs a tight ship. Those who disagree can leave or comply. In her mind, this is what's best for the group.
----

MzHyde

Not to purposefully poke holes in your bio here, but how could a police station possibly go unlooted during the zombie apocalypse? I don't really buy it. That would be the first place everyone would go, there or a gun store, or the hospital, or a big box retailer. A courthouse, a school, or some kind of factory would be good alternatives. Sturdy places that are designed to be hard to get into. A school would have food, too. Possibly even a bomb shelter.

elfguy

That's an idea, we could make it a factory, but either way when the game starts the supplies would be almost out.
----

Baalborn87

This based around the graphic novel or Tv show?

I personally didn't think they did the novel much justice with the show.

TheHangedOne

That tends to be the case with anything, Baal. 

I'm interested, and agree with Mz; then again, you could always say that the survivors found the police station after it had been pillaged, and chose it based on its defenses.  Factories, warehouses, courts, city hall, and other areas would probably be good ones. I don't know about schools, though; personally, my high school had five entrances, three of which were double sets of doors, and two of which were triple sets of doors, and probably close to a hundred windows on the ground floor.

Then again, the way I hear it, a lot of urban schools are built more prison style, and I suppose that could work... which also leads me to suggest a prison. What's good at keeping people in, is also pretty good for keeping zombies out. Maybe an abandoned one? Or maybe, as in the show, one that got cleared out.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

elfguy

Well if a police station doesn't work, I don't really see a prison either. If it's too well protected then there's no challenge.
----

LordHarketh193

Quote from: elfguy on August 16, 2013, 10:49:40 PM
Well if a police station doesn't work, I don't really see a prison either. If it's too well protected then there's no challenge.

Sounds like a good game, i love the walking dead just watched all of it up to date (well the video game not really that intrested in the TV show.)

Police stations always work for cover from zombies when you want to sleep. I mean you have rooms upstairs the zombies won't see you in or you have the cells where a chance of zombies seeing or being in there is high.
Schools everyone knows never to go in a school in a zombie apocalypse, look what happened in the walking dead they went in and like 2 people got killed, its a big attraction for zombies to be in there classic zombie hangout.
Factories, what if workers died? What if their are a horde of zombies in there? You got to think about things like that i mean a big place like a factory would defiantly have zombies all over it.
A Train yard/Train station always has zombies there, they are attracted by noise so when the trains went past they lured them there that's why so many trains are broke and off the tracks also due to the drivers but zombies just follow the loud noise like moths follow light.
Houses, likely chance of jump scares and zombies in anything (game or show) people die in their homes and survivors go in but don't come out living that's for sure. But sometimes that's not all true but in small crowed areas its more like to be true.
Motels/Hotels always has zombies near or in it. In the walking dead the game there was the motel that had all those zombies you have to get rid of to find out the women herself was bit by a zombie and was going to turn soon.
Things like hospitals, firestations, the sewers and plants (nuclear or power) would always have some form of zombie in them too.

It really doesn't matter where you go in a Apocalypse because zombies are everywhere and are attracted by loud noises like gun shots and Church bells.

I'd be intrested to join this roleplay/game.

MzHyde

A police station would not work, period. It's one of the first places people would run to and would doubtlessly be crowded with zombies. Same thing with hospitals. A school, conversely, would be much less crowded. There's not much to loot and at the first signs of some epidemic, schools are going to be canceled and everyone is going to bail. Same with a factory. Work will stop and people will probably try to flee to their homes or out of the city. Both those places are built to keep people out, too: fences, thick walls, sturdy doors. Modern schools are surprisingly well protected.

Ideally, it would need to be somewhere out of the way, with a generator or the capability to run off one, with sturdy doors and a walked or at least fenced perimeter, and it should have an open outside area for growing your own food.

TheHangedOne

Some schools might be crowded with zombies, but not all of them. I know in my neck of the woods, a high school is a designated shelter location for emergencies.  I doubt it's the only school. I believe in The Walking Dead show, that was the case during one season, and it turned into quite the ordeal.

Factories would likely be fairly empty, I'd imagine. Hell, an industrial area of a large city might be fairly safe, based on the fact that such areas are pretty damn desolate during the night. And if shit hit the fan during the day, I'm sure people would flee them; and zombies would follow them.

Going off on a bit of a tangent,  I'm thinking, clearing out large amounts of zombies might actually be pretty easy in some locales, too... get a car running, blast some loud music from it, rig it to slowly accelerate off into the distance. Hide in a good spot, let the zombies go chasing after it, silently clean up the stragglers.
Check out my poet tree!

elfguy

Well, I thought all interest had died down for this game. But if we have people willing to play, we could just pick a hardware store. There's various useful tools, can be boarded up, without being overpowered.
----

LordHarketh193

Just like the walking dead.

MzHyde

Of course it was filled with zombies in the TV show - it's a TV show, it needs drama. If you need a more reputable and 'realistic' source for zombie survival information, read World War Z.

steelsmiter

listening to the audiobook works too ;D

I've always wanted to run a horribly unrealistic zombie game. And by that I mean one based on video game mechanics.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

playfullchick76

Id be interested as well. I'm a fan of the series. I could play the daughter of a survivalist who joined you.

elfguy

Feel free to fill out a char sheet. Mine is posted above. Basically my idea as far as plot was to have a small, tight knit group, under a strict leadership, along with (possibly) some outsiders who could come into contact with the group. Any drama arising from this contact, or from internal conflict within the group, could fuel the story.
----

TheHangedOne

I don't think I'll be able to take on this story with everything else I've got going at the moment. Good luck, folks, and I hope everyone has fun.
Check out my poet tree!