Failed Attempts to Teach Role-Playing

Started by Star Safyre, October 28, 2010, 03:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Cathleen

Quote from: Star Sapphire on October 28, 2010, 03:52:40 PM
Like just about everyone here, I love role-playing.  And like most things you love, I've tried to turn some of my friends on to RPing as well.  A few have become hardcore dice-chuckers and online RPers like myself.  And some others... not so much.

My favorite example is when my husband and I tried to run a D&D game for our matron of honor and best man.  Three incidences that night told me we could never do this again.

1)  She wants to play an elven cleric.  Cool, we say, let's look over some of your character's choices for a deity and decide who your character worships.  Her response after going over all the Good and Neutral Greyhawk gods: "Which one is the most like the real God?"

2)  He decides he wants to play a halfling barbarian.  Cool, we say, what's his name?  "Shorty!"  "Uh, wouldn't he be offended by taller people calling him that?"  "No, that's what his parents named him."

3) Our characters meet (stereotypically) in a tavern where a cloaked man offers us a job killing some goblins outside of the town.  After explaining OOC what the adventure offer entails and how this is pretty much a standard draw for the characters, the best man announces that Shorty kicks the cloaked man in the balls and wants to pick his pockets for money.  He then asks how much XP he got for these actions.

We stuck to playing Apples to Apples for a while after that.

So has anyone tried and failed gloriously to get someone into role-playing?

*And of course, no discussion of other members, please.

Omg I laughed so hard, I cried reading your post. I know the type.
“Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Integrity lies at the heart of leadership. Everything you do revolves around the person you are inside and is demonstrated by the things you do and say.

King_Furby