News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Question about (Internet) spiders

Started by Oniya, February 02, 2012, 03:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Every so often, I see a spider 'looking' through a thread in the 'Who's Online' screen.  Does that 'look' add to the views tally on the threads, or does the forum filter out views from search engines?

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

That's a good question, Oniya.  I've wondered about that from time to time myself.

Vekseid

It's current configured to not count search engine spider hits for overall forum views, though I don't know if that counts on the per-thread level. Lessee...

if (empty($_SESSION['last_read_topic']) || $_SESSION['last_read_topic'] != $topic)
        {
                $smcFunc['db_query']('', '
                        UPDATE {db_prefix}topics
                        SET num_views = num_views + 1
                        WHERE id_topic = {int:current_topic}',
                        array(
                                'current_topic' => $topic,
                        )
                );

$_SESSION['last_read_topic'] = $topic;
        }

So basically it's going to increment almost every time a spider hits it.

Oniya

So if I put a post in the public (searchable) area, it could get hit by 40 spiders (I've seen more than that online at once) and not a single human, and it would show 41 views (counting mine)?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Vekseid

Well, most of them are just downloading in parallel. There are only a handful of spiders that make a serious attempt at keeping up-to-date on everything, and most of it is governed by the sitemap - Googlebot, Slurp (Yahoo), Bingbot, and any other spider that understands sitemaps should only visit it again if it's been updated in some manner.

That doesn't always happen, but the dumber spiders do get hooked on sessions so they won't necessarily get counted a bajillion times.

Caeli

How interesting.

You know, I've also seen spiders "posting" to a thread (or at least, that's what they're listed as doing). Obviously, they don't post, so why exactly does that message show up?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vekseid

The action description you see is triggered by how SMF understands the URL of whomever is visiting it.

Open up another browser where you aren't logged into Elliquiy. Copy the post link to a thread where you are logged in, paste it into the unlogged-in browser.

Now go back to your logged-in browser, go to 'who's online', and view guests. You're non-logged-in self is 'posting'.

Caeli

Oh, how fascinating!

These spiders, they intrigue me. >_>
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Gabby girl

wait, what's a spider, and are they a bad thing here?   They don't bite, do they?  hehe    j/k on that last part :p
If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

Oniya

Spiders (in the Internet sense) are little programs that search engines use to compile web pages for their search results.  As spiders help to steer people towards pages that match what they're looking for, spiders are actually rather beneficial.  However, as anything in the public area of Elliquiy can be 'seen' by spiders (and therefore, can be searched for), they are yet another reason to keep private stuff (like contact info) out of the public area.

Beguile's Mistress

I was pointed to this article a while back by one of my friends when I asked her about web crawlers.