Bringing Naruto D20 to E? (Original Characters Only! Now Recruiting! ...Again.)

Started by Inerrant Lust, February 25, 2011, 11:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inerrant Lust

Does anyone play it?

I confess Naruto is my guilty pleasure, but only on the same conditions that Star Wars is also my guilty pleasure. Both have a great setting, full of so much potential... But usually squandered by its' creator on silly things. Therefore, I enjoy making my own stories out of the setting!

I am fond of the system as it allows me to

A. Tell stories that are way better than the ridiculous stuff that passes off as canon nowadays.
B. Create my own characters in the setting that are unique and deep and... such.

A few things to note; Most characters from the series can become full-fledged ninja at the age of 12 (and in some cases, 6 or so)... If there does end up a game on E (I would be surprised), characters would have to be at the least 16. If there is a game running on E and I end up DMing it, well... It won't be a sex-fest, for one, but it will drift into a somewhat mature territory, which is the reason it would be on E and not some other gaming site. Namely;

Females dealing with the implications of ever being captured by their enemy (A particularly good example would be a female ninja with a special bloodline, in which an enemy village might benefit by... continuing this bloodline.)

Or more conventionally, the protagonists (male and female included) gripping with their lifestyle as disposable human weapons OR being asked to help and/or aid in the above situation, should an enemy kunoichi be captured who has a bloodline...

In short, dilemnas! Don't expect any fart jokes.

Also, the game will likely take place as far away from the canon as possible, likely before the series has even started... and in another village. Something like that.

Also, if you want to know where you can get the book (for free),  look here. A word of caution, though; At a hefty 1060 pages, it's... comprehensive, and slightly leaning towards a simulationist approach to game design. If you're not used to something like that, don't worry about it.

Kaisude

Never done d20, but I am very interested. I've wanted to do a Naruto themed rp regardless of what system it is run on. I am DL the info now. So I can further understand.

DKDBSD

Erm how much of the game rules do you need to understand? I've never been one to do system games before now.

I would also recommend an alternate reality that takes place around the middle part of the first series. This doesn't limit our characters in technology.

Genbu83

I have the pdf and I'm fairly familiar with modern. Though I wish paizo would come out with pathfinder modern. Anyhow, what sort of character generation details do we have?

Ala Rai Sen

If you are still recruiting, I'd be interested in this. I have the pdf and have played with it before.

Niki315

Interested ^_^  I've played a few sessions of Naruto d20... the GMs always ditched after like the fourth or fifth session though.  I've gotten pretty good at designing characters and jutsus.

I totally agree about your stance on using the world but not the canon.  On multiple occasions I started working on Alternate Universe settings simply to change the ridiculous nature of the show, but preserve the impressive world.  I think I would really enjoy playing a game like this ^^

SpiralSpider

I've never played Naruto D20 in particular, however I do have experience with other D20 games and I used to run a forum dedicated to Naruto Rps exclusively.

I'd be interested in joining you if you get it going here on E.
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

SomeGuy

I'd be very interested, Naruto is a case of a setting I like but I can't stand the plot and main characters.

I've actually looked over an older version of the d20 rules a while back.

pimpdan

hmm this seems interesting, I have no D20 experience though :(
how long would it take to learn?

Niki315

Standard d20 games are really easy to learn, usually.  However, the Naruto setting and specific rules can get rather complex.  Do you play other tabletop systems?  It would be easier to pick up if you had something to relate it to.

pimpdan

I am a complete n00b sadly...

I will pass on this but might keep an eye on it and see what I can learn for future reference :D

Tydorei

I'm game for this. I just hope the thread creator is still thinking of running this.

Niki315

Kunoichi

Nah, you haven't.  Inerrant Lust is just currently rather busy.  I'm sure he'll respond to this when he gets some time.

DigitLninja

Quotes to Live by:
"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go" Sanae Hanekoma,The World Ends With You. for Nintendo DS

"A post should be like a mini skirt. Long enough to cover the important parts, but short enough to keep interest." -Someone

oh's and oh's / Double A's Update 1/10 / Short Story:Memoirs of Renamon/ Hey [you], you should check out my 1 on 1's

NINJA VANISH! *disappears in a puff of smoke*

Inerrant Lust

Don't worry, I'm still interested in this... but I'll be away until the 22nd. So if anyone's still interested by then...  ::)

DKDBSD

I think we can all wait that long I think it might be worth discussing plot line. Maybe the idea you and I discussed a couple of week  ago? IE "A group of Shinobi go rouge and form their own village.

DKDBSD

Quote from: Shihong on April 11, 2011, 06:27:27 AM
Now that would be one hell of a juicy plot!  Plenty of room for some pretty intense conflict, a perfect explanation and excuse for each character to hail from a different village yet all be in the same community together, and nearly limitless reasons that may have driven each one of them to want to essentially turn traitor and leave their own people.  There are of course plenty of other ideas we could also think about, but I'll wholeheartedly support this one until some others are put on the table.

The beauty part is we could run it over a few generations. First the founders then a  more recent generation.

DigitLninja

gives me a side plot since my character is supposed to be a leaf ANBU Black Ops.
Quotes to Live by:
"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go" Sanae Hanekoma,The World Ends With You. for Nintendo DS

"A post should be like a mini skirt. Long enough to cover the important parts, but short enough to keep interest." -Someone

oh's and oh's / Double A's Update 1/10 / Short Story:Memoirs of Renamon/ Hey [you], you should check out my 1 on 1's

DKDBSD

Quote from: DigitLninja on April 11, 2011, 06:43:49 AM
gives me a side plot since my character is supposed to be a leaf ANBU Black Ops.

Though our characters should all be linked as allies at first. If we want we could add in later tesions between the original founders.

DigitLninja

alright... what does that have to do with my character possibly being a spy?
Quotes to Live by:

DKDBSD

Quote from: DigitLninja on April 11, 2011, 06:49:18 AM
alright... what does that have to do with my character possibly being a spy?

Only that if they're all Ninja if we already havea from the get go it's boring. :/ But I guess it's up to you on your character and I shouldn't try andrun this.

DigitLninja

sorry I didn't mean that as a hostile response... ^^;

My character for Naruto games has always been designed as an ANBU simply because of his abilities, he's also designed around being a lot older for a new ninja, because he was among one of the failing teams when Naruto graduated from Ninja School.

His fail led to an invite to join ANBU simply because of his Kekkei Genkai being perfect for spy related missions, he turned them down until he could actually become a ninja, so his joining with this new village could actually be considered his entrance test into ANBU, and if I decide to do this it could go ether way, since it is the Leaf Village they could end up giving support to this new ninja village.

However... none of this even matters until we decide if the plot is going to be the start of a new village.
Quotes to Live by:

DKDBSD

Quote from: DigitLninja on April 11, 2011, 07:42:16 AM
sorry I didn't mean that as a hostile response... ^^;

My character for Naruto games has always been designed as an ANBU simply because of his abilities, he's also designed around being a lot older for a new ninja, because he was among one of the failing teams when Naruto graduated from Ninja School.

His fail led to an invite to join ANBU simply because of his Kekkei Genkai being perfect for spy related missions, he turned them down until he could actually become a ninja, so his joining with this new village could actually be considered his entrance test into ANBU, and if I decide to do this it could go ether way, since it is the Leaf Village they could end up giving support to this new ninja village.

However... none of this even matters until we decide if the plot is going to be the start of a new village.
Well it would depend I can't say for certain but inerrant Lust didn't seem to want to use much cannon stuff.

DigitLninja

I find it really hilarious that just the mention of Naruto in a Naruto rp can be considered a dirty word ^_^
Quotes to Live by: