Most recommended FPS games?

Started by Skynet, August 01, 2014, 09:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sel Nar

Off the top of my head, Blake Stone, Heretic, Hexen, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D... There's been a metric Fuckton of 'Doom Clones'

TheGlyphstone

It, and its immediate predecessor Wolfenstein 3D, founded the FPS genre after all. And Doom was, in a way, a Wolfenstein clone.

Doom, Quake, Half-Life, and Halo, in chronological order, are the four games I'd give the most credit to for creating what we know as the FPS genre. A lot of other games innovated on their respective formulae, but for the most part, minus a few oddballs, were/are "______ clone with Twist X". Medal of Honor gets honorary credit not for gameplay elements, but for setting off the endless run of WW2-themed shooters.

Drake Valentine

Thats it. Quake reminded me of Doom.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Drake Valentine on August 15, 2014, 01:53:59 AM
Thats it. Quake reminded me of Doom.

Quake was itself a Doom clone, but with the use of 3D polygons instead of pre-rendered sprites, and it introduced multiplayer modes other than straight-up deathmatch. It was also the first game to feature rocket-jumping.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 15, 2014, 02:12:20 AM
Quake was itself a Doom clone, but with the use of 3D polygons instead of pre-rendered sprites, and it introduced multiplayer modes other than straight-up deathmatch. It was also the first game to feature rocket-jumping.

Not saying it was a bad game, actually like Quake(if it was one I am thinking of.)  I dunno, one of them had some sort of flying demon like creatures that shot fireballs at you(I believe.) And one of the final levels was hard as fuck. >_< Not sure if it was Quake, Doom, or some other FPSer. Only things I remember were flying demon critters, a chainsaw(maybe), and some demon dogs and weird monsters. Think the final level had shit ton of enemies and lava, plus I think you had to go to one end of the game pretty much to a box thing to end the level(if any of that makes sense.)

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Formless

The only game I can think of that looks like the original doom on PC was ' Blood'.

That face grabber was a menace.