Dash of sports...pinch of fantasy...whole lotta random. Wrestling thread...kinda

Started by Rex Pacis, April 07, 2013, 02:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Pacis

First off......I'm going to fluxing Wrestlemania!

Now that that is out of the way. -puts on somewhat serious suit-

I hope I didn't miss it but I did look rather extensively and i would guess this would be the forum for this so...why no Sports Section, E? 

Putting aside that I find it hilarious that I'm asking this question and that it came about from me looking for a wrestling topic but for reals....What's up wit dat?

Are we really all keyboard and dice warriors or something? So yea...lack of sports section....Wrestlemania...talk it up...I'll be there but you can chat here....I'll be there. Haha

Did I mention I was going to Wrestlemania?  See ya.  :P
"We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils."

Beguile's Mistress

We do have sports fans and a few sport related threads around.  I for one am a Pittsburgh Steelers and Penguins fan and cheer on our struggling Pirates every chance I get. 

Other than wrestling, which I don't follow, what sports are you into?

Oniya

Sports-related threads seem to arise seasonally, based on interest.  Football (and soccer), the Olympics, hockey... this would be the general place to put the thread, although a more specific title will naturally attract the people who are fans.  I've seen pro-wrestling brought up a few times but not recently.  (Mr. Oniya manages to watch on YouTube since we no longer get cable or satellite.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Formless

I mean just wait till its the UEFA champions league finale ...

Or one of the Barclay's Famous derby matches ... things can be wild I guess.

bubby

Or when FOOTBALL SEASON! rolls around. Then you can't get rid of me.  ;D

And yay on the Wrestlemania!

I was a huge fan back in the heyday, aka the 80's-90's. I would have loved that opportunity!

Rex Pacis

Does blitzball count? Been running through Final Fantasy X again lol. Quidditch? I like to watch extreme sports like skateboarding and motorcross but I can watch most of them...guess I'm just a fan of games. Though golf and baseball are boring as hell.

@BM:I recently got into American football myself and I think I can feel your pain on the Pirates, Miss Mistress, Jets...that will be all. Steelers would be in the running for second I would say...dat defense. Plus their head coaches always remind me of people. Forgot their names but the last one looked like a wrestler coincidentally...Sgt. Slaughter and this one Tomlin? looks like Omar Epps.

@B: Sgt. Slaughter, Bubby! I do love how things flow sometimes. Which transitions me to...I'm guessing you meant Soccer football? Maybe not then who is your team(s)?

@A and B?: Well Ark definitely. The...uh...real football by definition lol and while I can't always find myself watching it I do have a lot of respect for those players running up and down that field for fourty five minutes straight. I like to watch the World Cup..I am Hispanic lol...some of the best in the world playing their hardest on an international stage? Can't go wrong.

Wrestlemania atmosphere was awesome...show was decent but just being there was more than enough. Voice is shot haha. See if I can get some pics up...didn't take many myself.

@O: Has Mr. Oniya tried Hulu? I don't know if you have to pay just to use it now but I know WWE puts Raw and stuff up there...I would imagine the quality would be better. Dpending the youtube uploader.
"We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils."

Aleph

Quote from: Ark Noah on April 07, 2013, 06:11:04 PM
I mean just wait till its the UEFA champions league finale ...

Or one of the Barclay's Famous derby matches ... things can be wild I guess.

What are the Barclay's Famous derby matches?

I always find myself a little disappointed in the UCL finals, they tend to be cagey, defensive affairs. Do. Not. Want.

That said, I think this years might be more fun. The way things are going we've got Bayern vs. BVB for a final and they tend to be good matches in the German league.

Oh yeah, for the record I find it hard to resist the football (soccer) threads.

consortium11

Quote from: Aleph on April 25, 2013, 07:22:07 AM
What are the Barclay's Famous derby matches?

North London Derby (Spurs vs Arsenal)
Manchester Derby (United vs City)
Merseyside Derby (Liverpool vs Everton)
Tyne–Wear Derby (Newcastle vs Sunderland)
Manchester United vs Liverpool

With El Taffico/El Classicoal coming next year with Cardiff and Swansea.

There's also a number which are big but not between Premiership teams; West Ham vs Millwall is likely the most infamous but you've also got Southampton (my team) and Portsmouth, Leeds vs Chelsea, Leeds vs Manchester United and a number of others.

Aleph

Riiight, the English lot :) I guessed that was the answer, just hadn't seen the sponsor's name on it.

Quote from: consortium11 on April 25, 2013, 07:40:07 AM
With El Taffico/El Classicoal coming next year with Cardiff and Swansea.

Hah!

There's also a number which are big but not between Premiership teams; West Ham vs Millwall is likely the most infamous but you've also got Southampton (my team) and Portsmouth, Leeds vs Chelsea, Leeds vs Manchester United and a number of others.

Ah, hello fellow So'ton fan! :)

My other favorite is the Old Firm derby, having relatives from the Blue side of Glasgow.

consortium11

Quote from: Aleph on April 25, 2013, 08:33:22 AM
My other favorite is the Old Firm derby, having relatives from the Blue side of Glasgow.

Never particularly taken to it for two reasons:

1) Familiarity breeds contempt. The same applies to El Classico; because the two teams are (or in Scotland's case were) the two best teams in the League they seemed to meet so frequently that it begins to rob the occasion of any real significance. I mean, Madrid and Barcelona have already met four times this season and with a different draw in the Champion's League semis it could have ended up being six times...

2) Too much sectarian abuse. For me a good derby has to have a certain amount of edge to it but generally be fairly good natured. The Old Firm isn't. If I wanted a derby where it's pure hated and there's a chance I might die I'd go to some of the Eastern Europe or South American ones...

Aleph

Quote from: consortium11 on April 25, 2013, 08:48:36 AM
Never particularly taken to it for two reasons:

1) Familiarity breeds contempt. The same applies to El Classico; because the two teams are (or in Scotland's case were) the two best teams in the League they seemed to meet so frequently that it begins to rob the occasion of any real significance. I mean, Madrid and Barcelona have already met four times this season and with a different draw in the Champion's League semis it could have ended up being six times...

Hah, yes and thanks to the (not so) marvelous split system in Scotland, RvC can wind up happening 5 times just in the league, plus one or two for the inevitable cup competitions...

2) Too much sectarian abuse. For me a good derby has to have a certain amount of edge to it but generally be fairly good natured. The Old Firm isn't. If I wanted a derby where it's pure hated and there's a chance I might die I'd go to some of the Eastern Europe or South American ones...

It bugs me as well. I'm Australian, and we're fairly secular by most standards so I just don't get it on that level. I'd argue that the OFD the ugliness is a vocal few but then I'd have to agree to some extent that it's about as bad as West Ham v Millwall.

As far as fun derbies go on the other hand, I'm looking forward to the prospect of a possible Brighton/Southampton derby next season, if only Portsmouth were still around... :)

consortium11

Quote from: Aleph on April 25, 2013, 09:10:31 AM
Hah, yes and thanks to the (not so) marvelous split system in Scotland, RvC can wind up happening 5 times just in the league, plus one or two for the inevitable cup competitions...

Well, not for a couple of years at least. One of the good things about the last season and coming seasons is that Ranger's corruption and financial irregularities (and let's remember that Rangers technically don't actually exist any more) is that the Scottish game hasn't been dominated by old-firm drama.

Quote from: Aleph on April 25, 2013, 09:10:31 AMAs far as fun derbies go on the other hand, I'm looking forward to the prospect of a possible Brighton/Southampton derby next season, if only Portsmouth were still around... :)

I never really got the Brighton rivalry. I mean yes, we're both on the South Coast but it seemed to be more a case that we ended up in the same division and their fans decided it was a rivalry. We've never taken it seriously; there's no history there and only one season where we were really competing (when we were in League 1 three seasons ago and were fighting for the title).

As for Portsmouth I actually have real sympathy for them considering that we were nearly in their situation. Thankfully their fans seems to have done the best they could out of a bad situation and can hopefully find some stability now.

Sasquatch421

I love most sports... Baseball though I just can't pay attention to til the playoffs... If I want a nap I turn on golf because it puts me right to sleep. Watching the Williams sisters playing tennis doesn't though. Got done looking at the draft though I wanted to see which NFL team Rex Burkhead went to and was happy to see my Bengals picked him up. I am pretty happy though... My Chicago Bulls are a game away from going to the second round of the playoffs and without Rose! My Might Ducks of Anaheim are going to the playoffs as well. The Cleveland Indians though? They are not doing so hot....

I've tried to find some favs for this newer WWE, but just can't find anyone I really like since Edge retired. I've always been a huge Shawn Micheals and Undertaker fan. While I love it when Shawn comes back to do a Degeneration X reunion or something it's just a shame that no one can energize a crowd like he could. Undertaker is to the point where unless it's a special occasion he'll only come back for WrestleMania. I guess I do like Kane and I've grown to like Sheamus as well or as my friend calls him the human jar of mayonnaise.

Kofi is fun to watch but not championship material or weight they really do need to bring back the Cruiserweight title...

Oniya

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on April 27, 2013, 10:15:30 PM
Kofi is fun to watch but not championship material or weight they really do need to bring back the Cruiserweight title...

I miss the luchadors.  There was some choreography!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sasquatch421

I saw an over the top battle royal the one day... I believe it was a dark match but Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara faced off and it was something else. Everyone in the ring stopped and moved to the side to watch as well.

Oniya

Sasquatch421

It had shades of the Ultimate Callenge but they moved faster then Hogan and Warrior ever could. I wish Rey could have kept the Heavyweight title, but of course they had force him to take on a fresh Cena after Ray wrestled like 2 straight matches. I also dislike recycled matches... Undertaker vs. Shawn both of those matches were great but then you get stuff like Cena vs. The Rock for a second year straight and to quote the Miz, "Really?"

consortium11

Quote from: Oniya on April 27, 2013, 10:52:35 PM
Oooh, would have loved to see that.  Those guys can move!

If you're interested enough it's worth watching Sin Cara when he was still Mistico and arguably the biggest star in Mexico during the mid-2000's; he was a lot smoother then than he has been during his WWE run (at least partly because his opponents are versed in the Lucha style).

Quality of the video isn't the best but it gives some idea...

The Top Ten Moves of Mistico

Rex Pacis

Whoops abandoned my own thread there for a while. ::sweat::

Man I wish more WWE superstars were versed in the lucha style...I think La Mistica is an awesome move but Sin Cara has done it like three times and they were pretty sloppy except for like one time and that was probably cause it was Rey or Punk that it was done to. Think Lucha is too flashy for Americans but its a lot better then punch, punch, suplex, clothesline, rest hold, repeat. I don't know if Rock was legit injured during the match but that is literally what the main event of Wrestlemania was punch, punch, drop, headlock, signature moves, and seventeen finisher counters.

Taker barely shows up because his body is like broken, I hear he doesn't have all his strength in one arm or shoulder or something but this one armed man still put on a better show than the recycled ass "Main Event". Granted he is the Undertaker and he was in there with CM Punk who always puts on a show but still after that match the energy was crazy and then it slowly crawled to death with HHH/Lesnar and Rock/Cena....I'm tired of Cena and I think the crowd showed it that night when they booed his ass out of the arena....quite the Mania moment...I hate Cena (the character)) and even I felt a little bad. xD

Sasquatch421

Oh believe me I can understand why the Undertaker only does WrestleMania. I don't mind either because he's pretty much earned it many times over and has done more for the WWE than anybody else in my opinion. HHH has shifted more because I still believe that he will run the company when and if his father in law finally retires and gives it up. Lesner was only supposed to have a year contract, but while his time in UFC has expanded his moveset I've grown tired of the attitude. We see it so much anymore and while the younger fans don't have anything to go on the older ones will have seen it all before.

I enjoy the big men but moves and everything gets old if the character never change. Take Mark Henry he's powerful and really did win the strongest man competition how many times. His pissed off at everything keeps him back because fans will eventually find it boring. Big Show changed and became more of a fan fav until he decided to go back to pissed off at everything again. Sadly I liked the Big Show that had fun with fans... Don't even get me started on Dolph.... The Hot Rod did it better...

Cena I can understand always wanting to be face but it just won't work for everyone. Hell the only one I remember would be Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat and even he wanted to go heel at one point. It didn't happen because the WWF didn't think it would be believable. I enjoyed old Cena much more with the taunting rap entrances and everything. I do envy his car collection as well.

I did like TNA at one point as well because it was different in it's own way. Plus as a long time Raven fan I kind of followed him over... Now Hogan and Bischoff tried to turn it into another WCW and unless you were older you had no place... Plus their women would have great matches now they've gone more in the way of the diva's...