Favorite National Leader

Started by Skynet, December 25, 2012, 11:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtboy

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 18, 2013, 03:10:47 PM
And the funny thing is, for all of his big physical activity - being a soldier, an avid outdoorsman - TR spent a lot of his childhood bedridden due to poor health.  It was during that time that he did tons of reading on natural history and the wilderness, which (though you should ask him) I believe heavily influenced his drive for the national parks to preserve something of our heritage.

And he was a Republican!

Teddy was an accomplished naturalist and was well ahead of his time in recognizing the need to preserve pieces of the wilderness. Ironically, though, he shared the penchant of other privileged white men of his age for killing animals in the wild for no purpose other than stuffing and displaying their carcasses. This characteristic would be all the more disturbing if Teddy did not also thrill to the killing of humans (in war), evidencing a fundamentally egalitarian nature.

BadForm

May I nominate:

Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck (King of Bhutan), Mari Kiviniemi {Prime Minister of Finland), and Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf (President of Liberia). Who cares about their politics, they got it GOING ON! Ok, I know Ellen might be a little mature for some, but there is many a good tune played on an older fiddle as they say...
Absences thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=202963.msg9924174#msg9924174

-----

Think you know your movies? How about their dialogue? Try the following silly movie caption thread:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200349.0

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: vtboy on January 18, 2013, 04:52:56 PM
Teddy was an accomplished naturalist and was well ahead of his time in recognizing the need to preserve pieces of the wilderness. Ironically, though, he shared the penchant of other privileged white men of his age for killing animals in the wild for no purpose other than stuffing and displaying their carcasses. This characteristic would be all the more disturbing if Teddy did not also thrill to the killing of humans (in war), evidencing a fundamentally egalitarian nature.

He also stole H.G. Well's time machine and went on an adventure into the future with the ghost of Thomas Edison, where they defeated Clone Hitler's army of evil Martians.

Truefact.

Stella Maris

As I don't follow much in the way of world politics, I'm going to have to stick with what I know, so I'm going to throw my hat in for Theodore Roosevelt as well.

As for a couple others mentioned in this thread: Hitler was more than a little crazy and luckier than he was brilliant, and while Churchill was great to have around during a war, he was pushing to team up with western Europe to go to war with Russia before the dust from WWII had even quite settled, so it's probably a good thing that he got ousted almost immediately.

~SM~
“Thou shalt not use poetry, art or music to get into girls' pants - use it to get into their heads.”
How to Make a Star Shine my O/os

Rhapsody

Danny Williams, premier of Newfoundland a few years back. He was pretty popular, and reinvested the surplus budget of our province into the province, expanding sorely-needed programs for special-needs kids and families.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.