How About One Or Two More Profile Fields?

Started by Lrrr, November 01, 2016, 02:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lrrr

I was browsing various user's profiles looking for new members with few total posts, when it occurred to me that it would be very helpful to have a measure of how many of their posts are in Role Play Forums instead of just how many total posts they have.  The associated statistic indicating their Role Play Posting Rate would be helpful as well.

Sometimes I'm looking for members who spend a lot of time socializing and would have a large number of Non-Role Play Posts, other times I'm looking for someone who has a large number of Role Play Posts and is probably an experienced and dedicated role player, and at still other times I'm looking for someone who is generally active on the site and therefore has a large total number of posts.

I have a lot of programming experience but none that is with the HTML, Java, or whatever type of code used on the Elliquiy Website so I have no idea how hard this would be to implement.  Obviously, if it takes hours and hours, then forget it.  You have more important things to do.  But if it's fairly simple like copying the existing code for total posts, tweaking the math to add one or two more stats, and then displaying the new stat lines in the profile, I think it would be worth the time.

To make sure it's clear what I'm talking about, I've included an image that shows the profile stat area with one of the new stat lines added (the one underlined in red).  Don't try to do the math for the actual stats shown - I changed the values so they'd be different from the line above, but not so they were mathematically correct.  Sorry.

Although I only added one line in the image (Role Play Posts), I'd really prefer that you consider adding a second line with Non-Role Play Posts as well.  And to further clarify what I mean, let's define Role Play Posts as the total of all that member's posts in any of the forums that start with "Play-By-Post", and Non-Role Play Posts being the total of their other posts.

I'm curious to see what the community thinks, and especially curious to see if this is fairly easy to do.

If I've been online here on E but I haven't replied to your post or message, there are several possible reasons - none of which involve ignoring you.  Be patient - I'm worth it.
ONs & OFFs Plus Other Goodies!    2018-01-16 Updated A/As

Rhedyn

I have no idea how easy it would be to do but I think you can look at a member's posting stats from their profile page under where you would look at their posts, if that helps at all. It shows their posting activity by time along with their most popular boards by posts.

You could always pop the suggestion in the New CMS: Feature Request Thread too.

Lrrr

Thanks, Rhedyn.

Yeah, the stats are available if I wanted to look through them and pick out each of the numbers for Role Play Forums to sum them, but if you're trying to review a lot of members, that's quite a bit of work.

I certainly won't suffer irreparable emotional harm without the extra stats, but I figured there was no harm in asking.  It's funny, I was always told to write programs under the theory that computers are around to make people's lives easier, not the computer's.  Of course, if you're the person doing the programming, that doesn't really work so well!   :-)

If I get a few minutes I may put this over in the suggested forum too.  I appreciate that suggestion.

If I've been online here on E but I haven't replied to your post or message, there are several possible reasons - none of which involve ignoring you.  Be patient - I'm worth it.

Oreo

That is all on the stat page for the most part. Have you clicked yours? Many don't realize it is there.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Stella

I'm not contributing anything helpful - I just need to say that I read all of your post, Lrrr, in a Shean Connery acshent.

Lrrr

Quote from: Oreo on November 02, 2016, 12:46:30 AM
That is all on the stat page for the most part. Have you clicked yours? Many don't realize it is there.

Yes, as I mentioned to Rhedyn, I'm aware that the stats are available if I wanted to look through them and pick out each of the numbers for Role Play Forums to sum them, but if you're trying to review a lot of members, that's quite a bit of work.  So I guess the short reply is that they're available but not in a very useful format, at least for me.

Lrrr

Quote from: Stella on November 02, 2016, 12:53:40 AM
I'm not contributing anything helpful - I just need to say that I read all of your post, Lrrr, in a Shean Connery acshent.

I love his acshent too!