Elliquian Atheists

Started by Sabby, May 12, 2012, 03:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignaddio

Quote from: Bandita on April 05, 2013, 11:41:55 PM
I've seen much the same on JT Eberhard's blog concerning the poly lifestyle he leads. I don't know about homosexuals/ others as much, but there is always bullying.

Sorry, this is kind of tangential but I know JT's fiancee and they're exclusive; they had a pretty strange idea of what polyamory was when they started that particular college experiment. They were/are holding polyamory up as if it's some kind of romantic ideal, as if monogamy were somehow not equally valid.

Quote from: Sabby on April 14, 2013, 02:08:20 PM
I just noticed The Atheist Experiences official Youtube channel has comments disabled.

Because that's just what I needed in my favourite weekly show about free thinking and skepticism. Some good old justified censorship.

I just checked and the comments aren't disabled right now; maybe it was some kind of unintentional or transitional period of censorship. The people who participate with AE talk about how fundamentalists and others disable their comments pretty often, so I think there'd be quite a bit of egg on their face if they went the same route.
Vidi, Vici, Veni*I sang, too.
 Like the Avatar? I drew it myself.

Sethala

Quote from: Kythia on April 16, 2013, 02:00:08 PM
Ah, sorry.  I had read Sethala's question as "I don't see how this paragraph makes sense" not as "Why have the factors that lead to this paragraph come about."  Sorry for derailing then.

No, my question was indeed "how does this paragraph make sense".  I understand what they're trying to get at now, it was just a very poor wording that made it look like they were trying to say that the wage gap for unmarried people was because married women decided to work different jobs (which increases the pay gap statistic for women as a whole, but would not be the major factor in the pay gap of unmarried women, especially childless unmarried women).

Anyway, this is a topic that I know little about, so unless I can find the original study I was talking about earlier, I'm going to bow out of the thread until it gets back to atheism.

Ignaddio

Oh, nevermind; I just found the new videos. Yeah, they've disabled the comments, FtB style.

If I'm going to be cynical, it's about redirecting traffic to Freethought Blogs, trying to maximize their footprint while minimizing the effort of moderation.

However, it seems like they're just trying to place themselves beyond the obligation to respond to legitimate criticism. Part of the reason FtB collects so many trolls, apart from their questionable arguments and behavior, is that they appear incapable of handling them correctly.
Vidi, Vici, Veni*I sang, too.
 Like the Avatar? I drew it myself.

Sabby

Yeah, the rift between FtB and The Magic Sandwich Show is growing wider and wider, and I find myself more comfortable with the folks from the latter.

But I'm going to try and give the topic a boost and maybe get away from the A+ debate for a bit, and maybe try to send some more traffic to MSS. I'm finding it a lot more interesting then The Atheist Experience of late, as there's more speakers who tend to have different views aside from just Theists vs Atheists. I've never really left TAE with so much to think about, and it's really highlighted just how diverse the Atheistic crowd is. "Like a herd of cats" I heard it called once. But I'm going to list a more or less one sided episode because of how fun it was :P

The MSS - 15 April 2012 - Part 1 - Presuppositionalism with Eric Hovind and Sye Bruggencate

Yeah, that's actually Hovind and Sye. You should know who Hovind is, and if not, there's a lot of his stuff out there, but Sye doesn't seem so well known, so here's a look at his particular brand of stupidity.

Apologist Sye Ten Bruggencate Gets Kicked Off Stage