Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon

Started by MaiMizzu, December 09, 2013, 10:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaiMizzu

Anyone remember it? Basically a group of regular teens are transported to the Dungeons and Dragons realm, where they have to live and fight evil. Would anyone be interested in playing something like this? The group would basically travel the realm tackling different problems, trying to restore a balance to the world. We would have original characters, but I might use the image of the Thief from the old cartoon.. cause she's pretty. So yeah, I would play a Thief. We could use the same classes from the cartoon, or some additional ones from the D&D system. Which.. I know very little about. So if someone could serve as GM, help me out.

What do you think?
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

Yukina

Batman4560

MaiMizzu

Well 4 people so far! I dont see this as being a big group.. 9 or so mebbe? 10? And decide what classes you would want to be. Should I put a list of available classes? I'm not familiar with them all... or hardly any... but I do know the ones from the cartoon. I'll be playing Thief..
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

AndyZ

I know the newer versions of D&D but didn't watch the show.  I'm also not very familiar with the version of D&D on which the show was based.  To make things make sense, consider how much Zelda changes with each incarnation.  (Think of it as if I knew Twilight Princess and had to wiki everything about Ocarina of Time.)

To that end, I can try to offer suggestions and information about the game, but I'd be unable to try to GM and wouldn't really be interested in playing.  Ordinarily I wouldn't post, but figured I'd at least try to help with the classes information.

Human characters generally follow along one of the following lines:

Cleric: A priest/ess of one of the gods who uses divine magic for healing, and is trained in non-edged weapons like maces and in armor.  They're especially effective against undead.

Druid: One with nature, wearing leathers and keeping to stone and wooden weapons, they use the magic of the wild to heal and transform themselves into animals.

Fighter: Your standard warrior.

Magic User: Your standard wizard or magician.

Mystic: A martial artist, aka monk, if I'm reading this right.  This gets written out of the game for a while, so I don't know if it fits the show.

Thief: MaiMizzu already claimed this and I'm sure knows what it is.

Some of the classes I've seen but am not sure if these fit into the show:

Bard: A wandering ministrel who dabbles in magic and knows all sorts of tales.

Paladin: A holy warrior who mixes the Cleric and the Fighter abilities and dedicates him/herself to law and virtue.

Ranger: Focusing either on dual melee weapons or a bow and arrow, the ranger tends to be more an agile fighter who eventually develops some Druid abilities.

I hope this helps out some.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Yukina

I'm guessing I'd make my female a cleric.

Muse

Andy suggested i chime in with a bit more knowledge to offer.

Cleric:  Very much a core part of the game even in first edition, there wasn't one of these in the cartoon because of pressure from christian extremists.   

Ranger:  They specifically had the skill for dual wielding.  (My first character ever was a ranger.)  That said, the Ranger in the cartoon used a cool magic bow. 

Some others Andy didn't know about, several of which appeared in the show: 
Acrobat:  A variant on the theif class, the name pretty much says it all.  :) 

Barbarian:  The Barbarian--though not necessarily a berserker--was a fast runner, skilled in the wild, and one of the best classes in 1st edition for fighting without armor.  (R.A. Salvatore's character Wulfgar was created as an example of this class.) 

Cavalier:  The paladin is actually a subclass of the cavalier.  Both were known for extreme bravery, mounted combat, and increasing their physicality with exercise.  The Paladin added holy magic at the cost of a slower experience point progression. 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Batman4560

MaiMizzu

So cleric, barbarian, thief. a good start, i think!

Batman4560

Actually very well balanced. All we are really missing is some sort of arcane mage.

MaiMizzu

And thanks to Muse and AndyZ for the input!
So here's how I see it starting... all of the characters are friends in the real world. They're all driving somewhere at night together, and they end up being transported to this new realm. like they all think they fell asleep or something. and once there, they realize that the world they are in is in trouble.

Batman4560

Basic and makes sense to me. Are we using a system for this?

MaiMizzu

Batman4560