The Secret World Goes Subscription-less!

Started by Silverfyre, December 12, 2012, 12:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverfyre

So, the Secret World went subscription-less today.  You gain access to all the live content plus the free content that will be coming out in the future, all for the price of the game client.  It runs around thirty bucks at the moment or you can get it cheaper through Ebay and other online retailers.  I might take the plunge.  Any thoughts on this game?

Moraline

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 12, 2012, 12:00:22 PM
So, the Secret World went subscription-less today.  You gain access to all the live content plus the free content that will be coming out in the future, all for the price of the game client.  It runs around thirty bucks at the moment or you can get it cheaper through Ebay and other online retailers.  I might take the plunge.  Any thoughts on this game?

I tried it a couple months ago and I was in the Beta tests before launch.

I love FunCom games but it suffers from a lot of the same problems that Age of Conan had: Graphics glitches, occasional broken quests, chat function issues, and you need a really good computer to run it well.

The game setting is amazing though and it has some original spins on quests that can be fun.

Chris Brady

Funcom makes decent to good games.  They don't make great games.  At least, unlike Conan, they GET the source material this time.

Still not enough for me to drop 30 bits on it though.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

Also for those running AMD cards, the game was mostly made for Nvidia. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Callie Del Noire

Wish it ran natively on the mac.. I dislike running windows for games.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 12, 2012, 06:06:27 PM
Wish it ran natively on the mac.. I dislike running windows for games.

We will agree to disagree. -laughs-

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on December 12, 2012, 06:07:21 PM
We will agree to disagree. -laughs-

It's an awesome looking game.. I like the backstory. .I just dislike running windows just for games. Nothing to disagree.

Moraline

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on December 12, 2012, 06:03:20 PM
Also for those running AMD cards, the game was mostly made for Nvidia.

I have an AMD Radeon 6670. It works just fine for me at high settings in DX9. I don't know about DX11 though - that strained my weak little video card too much when I tried it.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Moraline on December 12, 2012, 06:31:06 PM
I have an AMD Radeon 6670. It works just fine for me at high settings in DX9. I don't know about DX11 though - that strained my weak little video card too much when I tried it.

I'm running a 7850 hd at 1920x1080 don't remember if I am running it on DX9 or DX11... I'll have to check that.

Moraline

Your card is way better then mine. You shouldn't be having any problems at all.

Chris Brady

It's easier to code in older drivers, so your card is more likely to work than a newer one.  Especially at higher settings.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

One of the things I hated was how some 'mobillity' cards were in limbo. I remember on my last 'gametop' that there were some games I could play because the drivers weren't supported by the card manufacture OR the laptop manufactures. Not all games but enough that I was reluctant to get some witout trying out demoes and such. 

SinXAzgard21

The issues I'm having are minor, not like it is unplayable.  I'm not very far into the game as it is, made a Templar and got out into the world sort of wondering where I should go from there.

Braioch

My CPU is too small (small right? Cuz the speed was okay apparently...I lack computer knowledge, shup) so I can't play it very well, but from what little I got to play, it was rather enjoyable :)
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

SinXAzgard21

Game was just ruined for me since I cannot get the faction rank up quest.... Such a shame.

Moraline

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on December 18, 2012, 04:19:47 PM
Game was just ruined for me since I cannot get the faction rank up quest.... Such a shame.

Is that only available to paid subscriptions?

Ryven

I might check it out.  I've been looking at it since before it was released, but I have never really had the money to pay for another game subscription since I ended my WAR account.

Silverfyre

Amazon has it on sale for fifteen bucks now.

Ryven

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Moraline on December 18, 2012, 08:37:55 PM
Is that only available to paid subscriptions?

No, the game doesn't do the, "you get this if you pay" thing.  It bugged out and hasn't fixed yet.  So I miss out on faction quests and upgrades.  So till it is fixed I either must roll a new character or stop playing.

For those buying on amazon you don't get the sub for a month nor the initiates pack which includes boosted starting weapons, a ring that increases exp gain and a boost that gives more exp from mob kills.