Dungeon World (very rules-lite fantasy in the style of D&D)

Started by wander, May 21, 2015, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: wander on September 28, 2015, 03:06:11 PM
When I've done that, I'll be PMing yourself Cass about character questions for starting xp going into the adventure. You may also pick one NPC from a character class to join you and Ysolde to meet up with Rish later. ...
Wander, I think you fell silent before you could PM me those questions. If we are still gonna do this I wouldn't mind answering some questions for starting XP. (really, who would?)  ;D

So fire away, whenever you have the time and muse to come up with a questionnaire.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Acrazymage

I've downloaded a pdf of the players handbook, and I'd like to glance over it before I decide a character. I'll post tomorrow evening with a solid response! I'm definitely interested in joining the game, though.

Acrazymage

A day late, but I finally got to look through the player manual a bit. I'd definitely like to play a Human Wizard. I'll make the character sheet soon!

wander

Cool, things are slowly moving on... I'm pretty up to date with everything, I think tomorrow I may actually get a thread going... (He says... ^^;;)

Acrazymage

Name: Aldara
Race:  Human
Class: Wizard
Look: Sharp eyes, Wild Hair, Worn robes, and Thin body
Alignment: Neutral
Stats:
   Str: 11      Dex: 8   (-1)   Con: 9
   Int: 17   (+2)   Wis: 15 (+1)   Cha: 13 (+1)

That's the start (if it's okay) I've still not figured out what cleric spell I want.

wander

All is fine, crazymage, just edit the rest in to your post above and we'll sort things out to get gaming soon.

I finally sorted out what a day's travel would be (One Hex on the Map), which is apparently in D&D, around 30 miles, give or take. So that's what we'll go with. Map currently isn't to scale, though now I can sort that out depending on any comments given in. :)

Next... I'll open up an IC thread, mainly for Rish who has been waiting an age to get started. Then, I need to PM Cass with questions to offer starting xp and get context to start them off too. Then when you're done crazymage, I'll ask some things about Aldara too, that'll net you xp and also get you going into the proceedings and we'll be off. :)

Acrazymage

Modified!!

Name: Aldara

Race:  Human

Class: Wizard

Look: Sharp eyes, Wild Hair, Worn robes, and Thin body

Alignment: Neutral

Stats:
         HP's: 13/13
   Str: 11   (+0)   Dex: 8   (-1)   Con: 9 (+0)
   Int: 16   (+2)   Wis: 15 (+1)   Cha: 13 (+1)

Racial Beneficial Move:
     Cleric Spell: At your touch wounds scab and bones cease to ache. Heal an ally of 1d8 damage.

Moves:
Spellbook (1 weight)
Prepare Spells: Number of prepared spells is current level +1
Cast a Spell: When you release a spell you've prepared, roll+Int. On a 10+, the spell is successfully cast and you do not forget the spell.you may cast it again later. On a 7-9, the spell is cast, but choose one:
               • You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot (the GM will describe it)
               • The spell disturbs the fabric of reality as it is cast. --take -1 ongoing to Cast a spell until you Prepare Spells again.
               • After it is cast, the spell is forgotten. You cannot cast the spell again until you Prepare Spells.
Spell Defense: Craft an ongoing spell into a makeshift shield of arcane energy to deflect an attack, the spell is ended and you subtract the spell's level from the damage done to you.
Ritual: Draw on a place of power to create a magical effect.

Advanced Moves:

Cantrips:
Light
An item you touch glows with arcane light, about as bright as a torch. No heat or sound. Requires no fuel. You control the color of the flame. Spell last as long as it is in your presence.
Unseen Servant
Conjure a simple invisible construct that can only carry items. It has a Load 2 and carries anything you hand to it. Can't pick up items. Can only carry things you give it. If it takes damage or is separated from you, it is dispelled.
Prestidigitation
You perform minor tricks of true magic. If you touch an item as part of the casting you can make cosmetic changes to it: clean it, soil it, cool it, warm it, flavor it, or change its color. If you cast the spell without touching an item, you can instead create minor illusions no bigger than yourself. Prestidigitation illusions are crude and clearly illusions; they won't fool anyone, but they might entertain them.

Spells:
Magic Missile (Level 1 Evocation)
Projectiles of pure magic spring from your finger. 2D4 dmg to one target
Detect Magic (Level 1 Divination)
One of your senses is briefly attuned to magic.
Alarm
Walk a wide circle. Until you prepare spells again your magic will alert you if a creature crosses that circle. Even if you are asleep, the spell will shake you from your slumber.

Prepared spells:
Currently allowed: 2
Magic Missile
Detect Magic

Gear:
(Current Load = 7)
Coins: 0
Spellbook (1 Weight)
Dungeon Ration (1 Weight) (5 uses left)
Back of books (2 Weight) (5 uses left)
Staff (1 Weight) (Two-Handed Weapon) (Close range) (1d4 dmg)
Healing Potions (3)
Antitoxin (3)

Bonds:
Thumper the Druid will play an important role in the events to come. I have foreseen it!
Dodge the Halfling Thief is keeping an important secret from me.
Gar the Fighter is woefully misinformed about the world; I will teach them all that I can.
[/list]

wander

HP, which will be 13HP by my count. :)

Also your base damage will be 1d4 with your staff, if you so choose to melee with it.

Your load is also 7 plus the Strength modifier, not Strength as a whole. ^^

I'll check more in a while. :)

Acrazymage

Well I feel special now. I should have read deeper into that. I have fixed those mistakes in my sheet that I have on a document.

wander

Okay, so your Int should be 16, though the modifier is unchanged.

Also, antitoxins I believe don't need to have what they cure listed, they tend to just generally work on anything, so you can take the poisons listed off. Otherwise all looks well to me! (Don't forget to edit the profile above with what I mentioned!)

If you could also pick your Bonds, that'd be great, they're another way to net xp. :)

Current characters to choose Bonds with:

Thumper the Druid (Rish)
Gar the Fighter (Cassandra)
Celion the Elf Ranger
Dodge the Halfling Thief

Cassandra LeMay

Might be a good idea for Aldara to decide on prepared spells too.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

That's true, please pick two of the spells that you have which are prepared going into play, Aldara.

Also, please remove the 10 coins from your Gear, Wizards don't have coins from the get-go.

Acrazymage

Alright! I believe I have made all the adjustments. I hope the bonds are accurate I haven't gotten a chance to see the characters yet, but on a general sense I figured it would be a possible first observation. His two prepared spells has been given a spot under my current spells known section.

wander

Okay, you're good to go. :)

I'll PM you some questions about your character for some starting xp, add it to tomorrow's list of things to do. ^^
(congrats on approval btw)

Cass, I'll be writing up Gar's intro and add it into the IC thread, which I will link when it's all done.

Aldara, I'll let you know in PM when you're ready to post in IC.

wander

OOC thread here to continue discussions for approved players. :)

Thats Rish, Cassandra and Aldara all welcome to post there. ^^;

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=238819.0

Acrazymage

RubySlippers

Pardieu, The Holy Man
Human
Cleric

Ability Scores
Str 15  (+2)
Dex 9  (+0)
Con 13  (+1)
Int 8  (-1)
Wis 16  (+2)
Cha 12  (+0)

wander

Ah, a new recruit! ^^

Do you own Dungeon World, Ruby, or would you like some help in forming the rest of your Cleric?

RubySlippers

Yes I need help. if there is a choice of deities I would like ,to narrow this down, a Good one (as in Good) maybe a deity of some common man's popular faith. Example in the core DnD rules they have Pelor and in Forgotten Realms Lathander so a deity where he's walking around and his faith is largely well received except by villains.

wander

Because Dungeon World is very narrative and player controlled, you as the player get to have a say in the Deity your character worships. I usually ask prompting questions when I get the basics in, with starting xp as a reward. Anyway, here is what the corebook says about Deities in Cleric character generation:

QuoteDeity
You serve and worship some deity or power which grants you spells. Give your god a name (maybe Helferth, Sucellus, Zorica or Krugon the Bleak) and choose your deity’s domain:
•Healing and Restoration
•Bloody Conquest
•Civilization
•Knowledge and Hidden Things
•The Downtrodden and Forgotten
•What Lies Beneath

Choose one precept of your religion:
•Your religion preaches the sanctity of suffering, add Petition: Suffering
•Your religion is cultish and insular, add Petition: Gaining Secrets
•Your religion has important sacrificial rites, add Petition: Offering
•Your religion believes in trial by combat, add Petition: Personal Victory

These elements of your Deity when created are important when looking for Divine Guidance in-game;

QuoteDivine Guidance
When you petition your deity according to the precept of your religion, you are granted some useful knowledge or boon related to your deity’s domain. The GM will tell you what.

As for alignment, Cleric's get to choose between three, each giving you a different ability to get bonus xp in a session (gain 1xp whenever you perform the action listed under the alignment);

QuoteGood
Endanger yourself to heal another.

Lawful
Endanger yourself following the precepts of your church or god.

Evil
Harm another to prove the superiority of your church or god.

Let me know based on the above the alignment you wish to play and the basics about your chosen deity and we can fill in the rest of your sheet. :)

RubySlippers

Deity of Civilization
Precept: Personal Victory
Alignment: Lawful

The deity is The One a deity of civilization and its defense, development and innovation and in general all can fight but some are more scholarly and some promote something like a craft or trade or might operate a hospital. She's a fighting cleric willing to put her body into the horrors of violence to defend the faith and civilization with armor, shield and weapon.

wander

Okay, great.  :-)

Now choose a Look;

QuoteChoose one for each:

Kind Eyes, Sharp Eyes, or Sad Eyes

Tonsure, Strange Hair, or Bald

Flowing Robes, Habit, or Common Garb

Thin Body, Knobby Body, or Flabby Body

Your Max HP is 21.
Your base damage when using weapons is 1d6.

When you choose your Look, we'll look into which spells you'd like to start with. I'll list the Level 1 spells and you may choose two. As a Human, you'll also have access to Wizard spells, due to your diverse belief system. These I'll list also.

RubySlippers

Sharp Eyes
Bald
Habit
(screw the choices) Large Fit Body -think Little John in Robin Hood- (strength is 15 he's no wussy)

wander

That's cool. :)

I'll either post up the available spells later or tomorrow now, due to being late over here. Things should be rather quick now as the general basics are in place. I believe once we've sorted spells, you'll only need to choose your Gear and Bonds and you're ready.

May take a spell to get you involved though, I still owe a starting post for Cassandra and I also need to PM crazymage with prompting questions for his starting xp.

RubySlippers

I forgot to ask if clerics can wear armor, that's why I took Strength 15, to get good armor on him.