Stranded Alien Survival - Futuristic/Horror - Interest Thread [NC-H]

Started by Eliza, March 09, 2019, 09:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eliza

You're dreaming, you're sure of it. Such a surreal landscape that is too good to be true, vivid in color and sharpness, then the colors fade as white light overwhelms your vision, then comes a blanket of darkness before you gasp for air...

You are pulled from your slumber so suddenly, that you are confused, lightheaded, disoriented, or a combination of the three. What is happening? Why can't you move? It seems like you're stuck in a loop of sleep paralysis, but that isn't it. You remember why you have been sleeping. It would have been years ago, maybe even decades or centuries ago. The human race traveling en masse to a promised land similar to a crowded Solar system. Except this alien land isn't crowded. It's untouched, until now.

Then, a voice is heard and a strikingly-vivid image materializes before your eyes. A man, dressed in old-Earth attire with an awkward, maybe even sinister grin on his face. It addresses you, “Greetings...” calling you by name. “You've made it. You're here! Please be patient while you get your bearings."

The man is a hologram and despite being so life-like, hiccups in his system alter his figure a bit before it reverts back to the familiar man before you.

“Current date according to Earth time is July 4, 2910...”

2910? Isn't that... you ask in your head. You are absolutely right and no matter what you ask, the hologram is not joking. The Arks, as humanity called them, were supposed to take a 600-year journey to the nearest habitable star system, making it to the promised destination around the year 3010. So why have you arrived 100 years early?

Welcome to Stranded Alien Survival, a futuristic survival/horror roleplaying game. Thank you for your interest. Please read on for vital information about this game.

Setting:  Stranded Survival is set in an alien world located in 150 lightyears from Earth.

The year is currently 2910, but was 2410 at the start of the 600-year voyage at sublight speeds. So why isn't it 3010? See plot below.

Plot:  Embarking on a mass immigration voyage to colonize a new world due to overpopulation of the Solar System, mankind erects a thousand ship fleet towards a distant star system, theorized to contain at least 4 habitable planets to colonize. The initiative called itself the New Earth Colonization Voyage, Each ship would be traveling a quarter of the speed of light and in order for passengers to not age during the long trip, they are placed in cryopods, putting them more or less in suspended animation.

Each ship held up to 1,500 passengers, which guaranteed either the wealthy or heavily skilled citizens of Earth to sign-up and board the ship. Lower class citizens or criminals were barred from applying, but some ships captained by independent individuals could arrange a lottery system to select random members of the global community to reserve a pod on the ship. To maintain ship systems and prevent wear and tear during the voyage, each ship contained a small group of 16 specialized crew members, which would wake up every 15 years in pairs to tend to any maintenance issues.

The “NECV Mae Jemison” was one such ship, set to launch with the rest of the fleet  on April 21, 2410, but due to a malfunction with the ship's systems, the security on the ship locked it down with its current passenger manifest of 825 plus 14 crew members already onboardd and had its launch clock set to six months early. It took off and left the safety of the Earth on its own on October 20, 2409 and once it was clear of nearby gravity wells, engaged its sublight drives and made its way to its destination.

Fast forward to the year 2900, about 100 years away from its destination. To the crew that has been awakened at this time, the NECV Mae Jemison seems fine, but right when the crew go back to sleep, a malfunction occurs in the navigation system. The ship diverts course and enters the atmosphere of an unknown blue and green planet. The ship crash lands, taking out its engines and habitation ring on its descent, coming to a screeching halt at the foot of a mountain and leaving a miles-long scar through a thick wooded forest. Debris from the ship are scattered around the crash-site, some of which are cryopods that were flung from deep gashes in the hull, killing the occupants inside. Also, the two crew members that are awake at the time perish in the landing.

Despite the two deaths, everyone in cryopods, including the sleeping crew members, survive, but due to the clock, are not set to wake up until 3010. Unfortunately, the same malfunction that diverted the ship's course, starts changing the clocks of individual cryopods, one by one. Ten years later, the first of many open.

Characters:

On the NECV Mae Jemison, a variety of individuals are onboard. A portion include the wealthy citizens who wish to colonize Earth and stake a claim that none have access to. The majority of people on board also bring with them skills needed to benefit mankind in an alien world. Scholars, engineers, architects, botanists, cartographers, scientists, biologists, hunters, gatherers and more have been brought onboard to support the colonization effort in this alien world.

For this small group roleplaying game, we are looking for 6-7 players to start. The following list are the current players of the game:

• Charlene Kenlay played by Eliza
    Crew Member - Specialized in maintaining Nuclear Reactor efficiency
  • Tristyn Phoenix played by Chreestafer
    Stowaway/Criminal - Snuck on board before early launch. Skills unknown
  • " " played by Reia
    Interested
  • Dr. Michael Byerly played by Doomblade403xxx
    Doctor - Also specialized in Pharmaceutical Engineering
  • " " played by bandedbandit
    Interested
  • " " played by PurpleJesus
    Interested
  • Clover Devonworth played by Dashenka
    Engineer - Specializing in Hydro-Engineering
  • " " played by The Lovely Tsaritsa
    Interested

If you are interested in playing, please use the character sheet below and send to both GM's, Eliza and Chreestafer.

[center][size=20pt][i][u]CHARACTER NAME HERE[/u][/i][/size][/center]
[float=right][img width=200 padding=5]IMAGE URL HERE[/img][/float][b]Player Name:[/b] 
[b]Faceclaim:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] 
[b]Orientation:[/b]
[b]Class/Rank:[/b]
[b]Skill Sets[/b] (what will your job in the alien world be?)
[b]Short Bio:[/b] (how did you end up on one of the ships?)
[b]Gear:[/b] (keep this simple, you don't have everything starting out, depending on job skills you may have certain tools or instruments in the storage portion of your cryopods, be realistic)
[b]Ons and Offs:[/b]
[b]Fears:[/b]

Antagonists:

Description of alien creature TBD

Soon after the passengers awaken from their centuries-long slumber and venture into the land outside the ship, they may find that they are not alone. Something resides on this planet. Primitive, primal, manipulative, elusive. Maybe not wholly evil, but is it true that it could use one's fears to lure them away from the group? Tread softly.

Gameplay:

This roleplaying game will be freeform and will be located in the NC-Human forums of Elliquiy.com. At times, there will be scenarios that can vary depending on dice rolls, though no character will be unnecessarily killed off unless permitted by the player.

If your character has been approved, we expect you to post at least 3 paragraphs per post, at least once per two weeks. If you have not posted in the IC Thread once in four weeks or have not updated us of your status in OOC, then we will give you an Inactive Warning PM. To progress the story and not hold back any players, inactive character may be used as NPC's by the GM's and are likely to be killed off by the monster (see above).

If you have got down to this message and are still interested, but would like to know more, feel free to chat with us GM's by posting your interest and any question you need answers to. Also, please add this thread to your bookmarks so you do not miss out on any vital discussions regarding the game. Thank you!

Reia

Ooh, this sounds interesting. I'll keep my eye on this thread and see if I can come up with a character.
[tr][td]

Updated: 03/24/19
[/td][td]
Updated: 06/24/12
[/td][td]
Updated: 07/20/15
[/td][td]
Posted: 11/24/14
[/td][td]
Updated: 03/04/19
[/td][/tr][/table]

Chreestafer

Quote from: Reia on March 10, 2019, 08:44:47 AM
Ooh, this sounds interesting. I'll keep my eye on this thread and see if I can come up with a character.

Thank you for the interest!

Feel free to message us with any questions. 
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

bandedbandit

This looks fantastic, I'm gonna put something together shortly

Eliza

Quote from: bandedbandit on April 03, 2019, 10:22:23 PM
This looks fantastic, I'm gonna put something together shortly

That's great! That reminds me, I gotta get my sheet up, as an example.

Quote from: Doomblade403xxx on April 03, 2019, 08:49:59 PM
color me interested

*fills in gaps with interesting color*

PurpleJesus

Eliza

Quote from: PurpleJesus on April 04, 2019, 02:52:39 PM
I'm interested in making a Corpsman (03) USMC.

He may be the highest ranked out of those awake.

Dashenka

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Doomblade403xxx

I'm thinking something along the lines of a doctor/medicine/drug designer who was the wonderkind of some huge corporation and made the cut to be part of this travelling circus due to their skillset. Chemistry, Pharma tech, and medical training. I am on the fence as whether to play as a male or female at this time.

Eliza

That's great. The more variety the better. If you don't mind, to those who were interested, I'll add your names to the list above and I'll update them once you have a Character Sheet in.

Quote from: Dashenka on April 05, 2019, 04:37:33 PM
Yep I'm interested :)

Nice to see you again, Dashenka!

EDIT: Updated the character list with interested players. I'll add if more are interested, but once we have at least 6-7 approved characters on the list, I'll close recruitment.

Also, Stranded Survival is a working title (other working title is also New Earth Colonization Voyage), so if anybody has any better names for the RP, please let me or Chreestafer know.

Dashenka

I'm torn between a stupidly wealthy but very intelligent and good hearted heiress.... Or a botanist :D

Doomblade403xxx

Well if you are stupidly wealthy and 'misplace' your checkbook don't come looking in my bunk.

Eliza

Quote from: Dashenka on April 06, 2019, 03:20:40 AM
I'm torn between a stupidly wealthy but very intelligent and good hearted heiress.... Or a botanist :D

Can't do both? Best of both worlds?

bandedbandit

I'm for sure doing a geologist (almost finished the sheet.)

Dashenka

Quote from: Eliza on April 06, 2019, 04:47:19 AM
Can't do both? Best of both worlds?

I could but the character I have in mind has a long history worked out already and botany is not part of that history :D

I'll think about it a bit more. See what others come up with

The Lovely Tsaritsa

Eliza

Quote from: The Lovely Tsaritsa on April 06, 2019, 10:10:41 AM
I maybe am interested, too.

Nice to see you, TLT!

EDIT: I think I'll make an OOC Thread soon, for some proper discussions.

Chreestafer

Welcome to everyone interested and turning in character sheets!!!
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Eliza

To those who have submitted sheets, I have been looking at them and giving you feedback on anything that needs to be changed or added. Please make sure to include Chreestafer in the PM. At this point, I only have 1 player with an approved character: Doomblade with his doctor character.

Congratulation on being approved. As a gift, you may post in the OOC thread

Chreestafer

Welcome to everyone who has applied thus far! Also this game is still accepting!!!
Ons and Offs
F-List

Raven Rawne

I would like to express my interest in this particular roleplay.

Currently, I am rounding up the basics on a character I would like to submit, but haven't decided on a profession yet. I've been thinking about a mechanic/engineer, someone who would operate the machinery necessary to set up prefabricated structures, maintain equipment and tinker as required. They would be a skilled passenger, rather than a crew member. Would that be acceptable?

Eliza

Quote from: Raven Rawne on April 10, 2019, 10:22:59 AM
I would like to express my interest in this particular roleplay.

Currently, I am rounding up the basics on a character I would like to submit, but haven't decided on a profession yet. I've been thinking about a mechanic/engineer, someone who would operate the machinery necessary to set up prefabricated structures, maintain equipment and tinker as required. They would be a skilled passenger, rather than a crew member. Would that be acceptable?

That sound perfect.

Mature Desires

I have some interest in this idea. Just wanted to run an idea for a character to see if it works for this idea. A wife unaware her husband signed her up for this migration has to figure out what skills she can contribute to the group? Or do you prefer characters that ha e a set skill in mind already?

Chreestafer

Quote from: Mature Desires on April 10, 2019, 11:40:45 AM
I have some interest in this idea. Just wanted to run an idea for a character to see if it works for this idea. A wife unaware her husband signed her up for this migration has to figure out what skills she can contribute to the group? Or do you prefer characters that ha e a set skill in mind already?

I wouldn't say youd have to have a certain skill set nailed down. A majority of the ships were offered up to the extreme wealthy class of society.  So there is a good chance your character isnt going to know how to build or survive because that person has never had to do that before.  They were told everything was going to be provided for them when they arrived.  So I wouldn't see it being a bad thing for a character.

She could excel in certain things though even though she doesn't have a set skill or profession.  Understand?

Ons and Offs
F-List