Colour designations

Started by Elvi, March 30, 2008, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvi

Do you think we should have a look at the colours being used for the various member groups?

Before we started with the Dames/Knights titles, it was relatively easy to see if a Siren was online.
Now we have the Knights in a colour so similar, that I really have to check every one by name.

Not that it matters, but both Dames and Ladys look the same too....
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Xillen

I can distinguish the Knights from Sirens and Unapproveds quite well, but I can't tell Sirens from Unapproveds (though Sirens are such a limited group, that it's easy to remember).

I don't have as much problems telling Ladies and Dames apart (not that I really have a reason to tell them apart).

Vekseid

Hmm.

Problem: I have 20/10 reading vision. It's really only a blessing when people are trying to read over my shoulder.

If someone wants to suggest a better color scheme feel free. : )

Elvi

Well you see, it depends upon the time of day.
At the moment, in natural light, I can see the difference, though still not 'at a glance'.

As for colours, well I'm not fussed about the rest, but I would like to see the sirens in a completely different colour to any other.
Purple perhaps?
I'm not sure which colours you have to work with Vek...

Aelfric

Purple, IMHO is an underused color.

I have to concur (just having read) that the colors are a bit hard to differentiate.
You change all the lead sleeping in my head to gold. - Tunnels, Arcade Fire

Elvi

Not in this house it isn't....purple is only second to black....*laughs*
It really IS my favourite colour...

Xillen

In My Humble Opinion, there are too many ranks to make all easily differentiate from each other. Therefor, I don't think we should worry too much about differentiating Lords and Knights or Ladies and Dames.

Without changing around too much, it could be something like:

#7F7F7F Gray - Unapproved
#000000 Black - Restricted/Banned

#00AF00 Green - Lords
#7F7F00 Brown - Knights

#FF00FF Pink - Ladies
#AF00AF Purple - Dames

#007FFF Blue - Sirens
#FF0000 Red - Admins

An alternative could be (though the Sirens would probably disapprove):

#007FFF Light Blue - Lords
#0000AF Dark Blue - Knights

#FF0000 Red - Sirens
#00AF00 Green - Admins

Also, using #00FF00 Lime Green for something would surely differentiate it from other colors, but it's a tad too bright for my taste.

Xillen

Quote from: Elvi on March 31, 2008, 11:04:35 AM
Not in this house it isn't....purple is only second to black....*laughs*
It really IS my favourite colour...

Please note that I only read that after my own post ;)

Elvi

Oh you're SUCH a crawler Xillen.....*laughs lots*

As I said, As long as we can see the sirens clearly, I can't really see any reason for a rainbow of colours...

Xillen

I like it how Lords and Ladies are specified from each other as well. To manage that, unclassified people need their own color as well.

I kept the difference for Lords-Knights and Ladies-Dames small on purpose, to prevent the rainbow effect.

MagicalPen

I still think Knights and Dames should have different colors.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Xillen

Quote from: Silvestine on March 31, 2008, 03:53:57 PM
I still think Knights and Dames should have different colors.

Yes, but subtle? Or explicit? In the latter case, the whole thing becomes a rainbow effect.

Elvi

Why?
For goodness sake, we are all simply just members....

Trieste

I like Xillen's colour scheme, and haven't seen anything else proposed as a good alternative.

:)

Elvi

I would honestly just prefer the male/female/unaproved/restricted divide and another colour for the sirens.

It's getting hard enough to read the online members as it is, when there are a lot online, without having eight different colours.

Xillen

An option is to make the sirens buddies and see all of them in bold and the rest not. Bold/nonbold is more obvious on my screen than the colors are.

Elvi

Doesn't solve it, if I also have buddies in all of the other categories....

*wanders off wishing that she hadn't brought the subject up*

Xillen

Well, you do have a point. I still think the blue names are pretty obvious, though. If only there weren't 3 types of them :P

And now they became harder to see :P

Cherri Tart

*nods* i'm with Elvi on this one - i opened up my forum today and i can barely read who's on line.  i like the idea of having all sort of different colors, but the reality is that it makes it very difficult for anyone with any sort of vision impairment to read.  just my two cents.
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Xillen

With all due respect to Vekseid, but the new color scheme has left me a little baffled as well.

I'm sort of agreeing with you, Cherri, but I like Lords and Ladies to be seperated as well, which would require 4 distinct colors (Lords, Ladies, Sirens, Other), which is quite feasable.

Knights and Dames could get a slight distinction, or use the same color, either way's fine with me. A totally different color won't really work due to the rainbow effect.

Ah well, it's Vek's board, so I'll humbly respect his choice :)

Vekseid

I don't mind suggestions, but every color scheme I choose I get yelled at -_-

Xillen

Poor Vekseid :P

A simple suggestion would probably be:

#000000 Black - Unapproved/Deverified/Restricted/Banned
#00AF00 Green - Lords/Knights
#FF00FF Pink - Ladies/Dames
#007FFF Light Blue - Sirens/Admins

4 distinct colors, which contain all the important seperations.

If people really like Knights/Dames seperated, or maybe Unapproved seperated from Restricted, it could be done something like:

#7F7F7F Gray - Unapproved/Deverified
#000000 Black - Restricted/Banned

#007FFF Light Blue - Lords
#0000AF Dark Blue - Knights

#FF00FF Pink - Ladies
#AF00AF Purple - Dames

#FF0000 Red - Sirens
#00AF00 Green - Admins

But yeah, the more colors you add, the less distinction between colors.

Maybe we should open a poll and see how much distinction people really want?

Vekseid

I've been thinking about giving each siren her own color and tag anyway, when I have time.

I've been getting complaints about pink, there are people who'd have my head if I used brown, etc.  I really can't win this one :-p

Though Cherri complaining about not being able to read a list she hides herself from amuses me :-p

Greenthorn

I really like Xillen's last one, the the two different shades of blue for the men and the pink and purple for the women.  Red for the sirens sticks out the most.  Just my opinion (and vote if there is one)

Xillen

Could one of these be an alternative suggestion for the pink and purple?

#FF00FF
#AF00AF
#FF7FFF
#AF7FAF
#FF007F
#7F00FF
#7F007F

Or for the 4 color scheme, red could work:

#000000 Black - Unapproved/Deverified/Restricted/Banned
#00AF00 Green - Lords/Knights
#FF0000 Red - Ladies/Dames
#007FFF Light Blue - Sirens/Admins