Need help naming a fictional sport...

Started by Twisted Crow, July 21, 2020, 04:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

So... I basically have a weird idea for a story involving a sport. Which I can only describe it as "Dodgeball + Soccer + Low Gravity Future Stuff"

The thing is, there isn't anything buzz I can call it. Like, Harry Potter has Quidditch. Which is... kinda similar with what I am thinking?

Actually, Final Fantasy X's Blitzball is really close. And Blitzball sounds cool... but doesn't feel very original calling it that.

Uh... any ideas of what I might be able to call this thing?

PennySludt

Aeroball?
Seigeball?
Aeroseige?
Vortex Raid?
Crossmode?
Grav-sphere?
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Twisted Crow

A friend just gave me a nice little random naming site I can try to slap things together. Its something to use to shoot words out there for me to form myself.

I like the Aeroball suggestion the best out of those. Has kind of a buzz to it while not sounding ridiculous for something announcers might say. I initially thought '(something)-Gravball" and just didn't like it. Still experimenting...  :-)

PennySludt

Oh yeah, the 'Fantasy Name Generator' site can be a useful place sometimes, but I almost always end up taking bits and pieces from the suggestions and making my own out of them. I forgot about that! Good luck :D
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Oniya

Let's see.  Rugby was named after the school that popularized that rule-set.  Lacrosse was named after the shape of the basket thing (la croix, since it looked like a bishop's crozier).  Basketball was named after the peach basket that was an early form of the net.  Quidditch - appears to be some syllables slapped together, as far as I can figure.

This sounds like a game that was developed by a space-faring civilization (since there's a gravity component), so perhaps something involving 'eva'?  (Extra Vehicular Activity - a.k.a. 'spacewalks')  Maybe it commemorates some daring deed where a drifting astronaut used a thrown object to propel themself - or possibly another person - to safety?  Then the name could have something to do with the hero or their mission or something.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Twisted Crow

Funny you should mention this, because I am trying to link astronauts into how it all started. And I was thinking originally that it was something light and fun to pass the time while in orbit (or a space station) that later evolved into something exhilarating, if a bit... kooky.

Oniya

I mean, fun is also a good motivator.  Even in microgravity, you still have inertia, so it could also be a form of exercise to prevent atrophy. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avernale

Its name could be an acronym, if it was originally developed to a specific function. To use what Oniya said as an example, "A form of exercise to prevent atrophy," it could be called "Afepa."