News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Impromptu Move (seeking info on New Orleans)

Started by DarklingAlice, June 18, 2012, 10:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarklingAlice

So, there is an ~80% chance that I will need to move in the near future. This has raised two important questions:

1) Does anyone know of any amicable way to break a lease? I mean, I know people have to move for their careers all the time, it seems that there has to be a system for this.

2) Does anyone have suggestions for places to live in New Orleans? Or general advice on hunting for apartments online? I mean, I don't want to commit to anything site unseen, but I want to at least narrow things down before visiting.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

stormkitten

Quote from: DarklingAlice on June 18, 2012, 10:23:07 PM
1) Does anyone know of any amicable way to break a lease? I mean, I know people have to move for their careers all the time, it seems that there has to be a system for this.

Normally if you talk to your land lord and provide thirty days notice, they often allow you to break lease. Many as long as notice is given they will even return your deposit provided there is no damage. Its usually done best in writing, and explain school or work or whatever has forced this sudden change. Might bring up the there is no damage and you have paid on time with no trouble in the past.

Quote from: DarklingAlice on June 18, 2012, 10:23:07 PM
2) Does anyone have suggestions for places to live in New Orleans? Or general advice on hunting for apartments online? I mean, I don't want to commit to anything site unseen, but I want to at least narrow things down before visiting.

If you have decent credit... I might recommend talking to a real estate agent. A lot of real estate companies rent houses and apartments for the owners. They do background checks, are usually pretty good about doing repairs. You are not as likely to be scammed.
"I thought of a wonderful present for you. Shall I give you despair?"

~Twisted Romance & Dark Tales~
*Extreme: Pregnancy & Breeding* 
ONS and OFFS

GothicFires

Actually if you break a lease be prepared for the fact that you may have to pay the remaining months left on your lease. It depends on your landlord and if they can get the apartment rented out again quickly. If they want you to pay the remainder of the lease then they would not legally be able to rent it. So it really depends on the area you live in now and if you would be costing them money by leaving.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Autumn Sativus

Consider subletting your current home for the remainder of the lease. You may take a small hit on it or you might be able to get the full amount but it would be better than breaking the lease with a nasty landlord.

You could also pose to the landlord in a non-official way (like by phone) that you are going to be moving and would like to know if they would like for you to sublet out the area or if they would be okay allowing you to cut ties from the place, then go from there.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

DarklingAlice

I think subletting is prohibited by our lease, and I don't think I would much fancy having financial ties here once I move. I'll have to check the lease...and with our complex, and maybe with the apartment association our complex belongs to. Mrs. A thinks there might be a clause for this somewhere so we will read through the paperwork.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Beguile's Mistress

Would this be a move due to educational needs?  If so would you university offer any type of assistance for students?  An attorney or someone well versed in real estate would be helpful.

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on June 19, 2012, 09:29:52 PM
Would this be a move due to educational needs?  If so would you university offer any type of assistance for students?  An attorney or someone well versed in real estate would be helpful.

Mmm...ish? It's a ridiculously complicated situation, but there is definitely a university involved and they may indeed have resources (there has even been some talk of a moving stipend, but I'm not holding my breath). Part of the problem is that circumstances are such that I can't talk about this with my co-workers to get advice.

*sigh* And above and beyond all this is that it is still not 100% that the initiating event will happen (though it is looking more and more likely every passing day)...and I am not sure whether I will go along with it or not.

Slywyn

DA, there's a lot of good apartments in NO. But take my advice: Stay the HELL out of the 9th Ward, and stay away from the French Quarter. If you must visit, do so with a bunch of other people. Never alone.

The city, I hate to say, simply is not safe in the slightest.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

DarklingAlice

That's comforting  -_-

Just from looking at maps I would say that we would be more likely to live on the west side of NO if not actually in Metairie. But it really depends on how things look when we get feet on the ground (and of course cost of living and ease of transportation). I really don't like living in the thick of a city, it makes me feel more than a little claustrophobic...

EDIT: Though from checking crime stats (from 2009, that was the most recent year a short search turned up) the actual rates of violent and property crimes in my current city are higher. NO beats us 5 to 1 in murders and aggravated assault, but we apparently make up for it in violent rape and robbery.

Slywyn

Metarie's usually pretty safe, and my Aunt's lived there for a long time. It's actually just a suburb though and got swallowed by the main city.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

HockeyGod

DA...when we moved out early we could either pay a fine to break the lease or continue renting. They also would break the lease if someone wanted our place - at that time we had a large 3 bedroom that was quite needed by families. We were able to pay only one month of rent and got out of the remainder because someone moved in...moral of the story...if they have someone to plop in to your unit they will most likely let things go.

DarklingAlice

The problem there is that the only people I know who are serially homeless are my co-workers who may well be going with me...