D&D 3.5: All Bards Party [UN] (Still looking for players!)

Started by Inerrant Lust, August 22, 2008, 02:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowheart

*eyes glaze over*

Can I play a 1E Bard?  Lesse, at level 4 that makes her ... a fighter! :P

May still do this but if so she'll be one of the simpler characters in the game.  A bard/bard/bard/bard.  What an idea :P:P

RubySlippers

I got it a Bard 1/Cleric 1/Fighter 1/Rogue 1/Barbarian 1.... just kidding.  ;D

Really I'm not sure what to do if it was all performers it would be easier I could stick to a rogue or something and oreint her to a performing sort of character minus the Bard aspects.  :-\

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: shadowheart on August 24, 2008, 05:52:38 AM
*eyes glaze over*

Can I play a 1E Bard?  Lesse, at level 4 that makes her ... a fighter! :P

May still do this but if so she'll be one of the simpler characters in the game.  A bard/bard/bard/bard.  What an idea :P:P

If I can get my hands on 1e source material, and if it works alongside everyone else, sure? :P

I don't mind simple characters (mechanically, at least. Character depth is important!)

As I said, as a DM, I want my players to enjoy themselves. :P I certaintly don't mind if you never make a roll the entire game, instead just focusing on playing the character.

Granted, you might have to do something if say, a giant rock fell on everyone else and only you can save them. :P ...But I don't know if that situation will ever come up.

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 24, 2008, 04:15:47 PM
I got it a Bard 1/Cleric 1/Fighter 1/Rogue 1/Barbarian 1.... just kidding.  ;D

Really I'm not sure what to do if it was all performers it would be easier I could stick to a rogue or something and oreint her to a performing sort of character minus the Bard aspects.  :-\

Well...there's always gestalt rogue/bard. :-X

Honestly, I think that's a good compromise to our dilemna. I really like the character concept, but I'm hesitant to drift too far away from the campaign's core concept. I'd allow it if I could figure out a way to balance it against the non-gestalt players in the party.

Also, nobody has any character background/personality ideas to share? ???

shadowheart

'Twas something of a bad joke, IL.

To quote the 1E PHB:  "Bards begin play as fighters, and they must remain exclusively fighters
until they have achieved at least the 5th level of experience.  Anytime thereafter, and in any event prior to attaining the 8th level, they must change their class to that of thieves." (p 117)

Well, in seriousness, I will still consider it.  *glancing over your requirements*

Is the Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator (http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm) acceptable for making characters?

RubySlippers

I just think taking bard sucks for any concept I would run at most I would take one level to make you happy and I have no interest in developing all sorts of bard songs and skills. And don't even care about magic that much and if I did I'd rather run a Rogue splashing in a level of Sorceror so I can use magical items when I find them like wands.

I'd rather just run one simple class that fits than hodgepog her.  :-\

I do like the idea of being a performer and seductress but there is a 3.5 Experts sourcebook with a profession specialty called Courtesan that will fit the bill without needing magic.

www.arcaneproject.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=30

And I can still master dance and athletics for the mor physical demands of her life as in performing.

Transgirlenstein

Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

RubySlippers

I have an idea the variant bards if I take a savage bard and trade off the bardic songs for the druidic abilities she might be alot of fun a primitive gypsy bard whose a magical figure among her people, a witch and free spirited hedonist. And I don't even have to multiclass her.
;D

I still would like the profession Courtesan listed above if its ok it fits her perfectly and will give me something to Skill Focus.
;D

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: shadowheart on August 24, 2008, 05:01:20 PM
'Twas something of a bad joke, IL.

To quote the 1E PHB:  "Bards begin play as fighters, and they must remain exclusively fighters
until they have achieved at least the 5th level of experience.  Anytime thereafter, and in any event prior to attaining the 8th level, they must change their class to that of thieves." (p 117)

Well, in seriousness, I will still consider it.  *glancing over your requirements*

Is the Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator (http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm) acceptable for making characters?

Hey, I got into D&D only recently- I don't know a THAC0 from a Nonweapon proficiency. :P

Holy crap that's a hell of a character generator.  :o As long as the final product doesn't take forever to peruse when I need to find out your initiative and such. ;)

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 24, 2008, 05:19:02 PM
I just think taking bard sucks for any concept I would run at most I would take one level to make you happy and I have no interest in developing all sorts of bard songs and skills. And don't even care about magic that much and if I did I'd rather run a Rogue splashing in a level of Sorceror so I can use magical items when I find them like wands.

I'd rather just run one simple class that fits than hodgepog her.  :-\

I do like the idea of being a performer and seductress but there is a 3.5 Experts sourcebook with a profession specialty called Courtesan that will fit the bill without needing magic.

www.arcaneproject.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=30

And I can still master dance and athletics for the mor physical demands of her life as in performing.

Well, if you don't like the idea than I'd rather not force you into something you woulden't enjoy... but at the same time, the concept is all about bards. :-\

That being said;

The bard’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex),  Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

The rogue’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skillwise, they aren't so different. The rogue is a bit better at going into dungeons or people's houses, while the bard is better at talking to people and learning/using information to their advantage. But if you go for a savage bard, well.. all this is a moot point.  ;)

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 24, 2008, 07:33:07 PM
I have an idea the variant bards if I take a savage bard and trade off the bardic songs for the druidic abilities she might be alot of fun a primitive gypsy bard whose a magical figure among her people, a witch and free spirited hedonist. And I don't even have to multiclass her.
;D

I still would like the profession Courtesan listed above if its ok it fits her perfectly and will give me something to Skill Focus.
;D

She would still be part of a musical troupe of preformers, as per the concept. As such, all the party members are more or less a very friendly and tightly-knit group. But if you can pull the character off without being 'the loner' of the party, I'll be happy. :P I don't mind you dropping the bard song abilities, but you might want to keep the fascinate and suggestion songs and replace the others with druidic abilities. I think it would go a long way towards your role of being the party seductress.  :P

For Courtesan, If you had 18 wis or cha, the will save DC would still only be 15 (10 + +1 spell level, +4 modifier)

That might...reduce its effectiveness against anyone particularly powerful.

Although I am pretty harsh against players going "I succeded my diplomacy check with a +OMGWTF bonus against the diety. He has to make me a demigod now, mwhahaha!"

Essentially, bluff/diplomacy is not mind-control. If you use a bluff check and say something outrageously implausible and succede, the person will simply think that YOU believe the bluff, not that the bluff is true.

However, I don't axe the skills completely, they will go a long way to resolving social interactions... I just don't allow them to dominate the game. ;)

RubySlippers

Well I was thinking a Carmen a passionate and radiant gypsy sort of wild bard, not unaccustomed to dealing with people. After all being a witch and mystic she would likely be the one more used to dealing with outsiders.

As for the courtesan skill since to affect almost anything requires a roll on a DC 40 I don't see that as an issue anytime soon and most being that powerful would likely resist any petty use of her powers. But a sultry peasant woman or monied and tipsy merchant with a fat purse is another story. Face it with a Cha 18 possible with an Aesimar and a skill bonus she should still manage a decent social set of bonuses. Or go for a higher wisdom and decent Cha and focus on the comely but more skilly seductress where her experience and education lead the way. With a profession skill at +14 that could be possible if I do her right she would be a formidable seductress for most traditional targets. I would be fine with excluding dieties and others that are well freaking unlikley like golems and certain other creatures but dragons who are of a lusty nature and who can take human form might be. As a rule that is a GM decision.

Transgirlenstein

Thats a pretty sweet concept Ruby Slippers.

I think I might keep my idea of the effeminate female part playing actor.  Keep the oriental theme but put the perofrm in acting (not nesscarily kabuki) and singing.  Would that work?  what level would the characters be?

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 24, 2008, 11:36:46 PM
Well I was thinking a Carmen a passionate and radiant gypsy sort of wild bard, not unaccustomed to dealing with people. After all being a witch and mystic she would likely be the one more used to dealing with outsiders.

As for the courtesan skill since to affect almost anything requires a roll on a DC 40 I don't see that as an issue anytime soon and most being that powerful would likely resist any petty use of her powers. But a sultry peasant woman or monied and tipsy merchant with a fat purse is another story. Face it with a Cha 18 possible with an Aesimar and a skill bonus she should still manage a decent social set of bonuses. Or go for a higher wisdom and decent Cha and focus on the comely but more skilly seductress where her experience and education lead the way. With a profession skill at +14 that could be possible if I do her right she would be a formidable seductress for most traditional targets. I would be fine with excluding dieties and others that are well freaking unlikley like golems and certain other creatures but dragons who are of a lusty nature and who can take human form might be. As a rule that is a GM decision.

Sounds good. Although... Aasimar AND tiefling in the party? Interesting.. :P

Quote from: trippingsatyr on August 25, 2008, 04:50:50 AM
Thats a pretty sweet concept Ruby Slippers.

I think I might keep my idea of the effeminate female part playing actor.  Keep the oriental theme but put the perofrm in acting (not nesscarily kabuki) and singing.  Would that work?  what level would the characters be?

Level 5... And again, you're all in the same band, so I suppose one generic musical genre has to be shared by everyone. A 'foreigner' could still work out just fine if the isntrument/music was fairly common between cultures (song, dance, drums, ect.)

Zaer Darkwail

Hehe, tiefling+assimar pair ups make intresting party interaction. I quess we both hav esomesort 'cease fire' but would have often verbal banters between each other.

But true that we must share one musical theme while we can hobby in other sort of music or performances by ourselves but we must bea band, a good one, and share one music type. I myself I flavour (in RL) metal, rock and gothic/lyrical metal music so would like band have some elements of those music types.

We could also vote what is the main music theme what band presents.

RubySlippers

I was thinking wilkd gypsy style dance with acrobatics and gymnastics, and well lots of eroticism when in the right audience.

As for race its a bit up in the air if I go for a racial mix I was thinking half-wood elf/aesimar from a direct Celestial pairing just didn't take heavily off my fathers lineage, so would be kind of quarter full Celestial, so the genertic would be her mother a hot looking half-elf living among savage gypsies.

Well not Savage but wild and free.

Transgirlenstein

Yeah, I think our group is looking like a dancing group

Aragem

If you still need players. . . .I'll throw my hat into the ring, but I should warn you, I have never played D&D before or any game that require dice rolling, so you are going to have to help me to learn.

RubySlippers

And mine will earn money parting her legs too if the coin is right.  ;D

Women won't have to pay her.  ;D

But we can have other performers and I'm the sure the DM might allow other areas of performing like Sword Swallowing or the like if you are so inclined.

Transgirlenstein

Mine will also whore himself out..to both the male and female clientelle ;)

Aragem

Just let me know where I can send my character sheet and the information that you need.

Transgirlenstein

So I was considering multiclassing into fighter or maybe monk then realized I can't do monk as I can't be lawful as a bard.  WOuld it be possible to take some levels in monk then in bard?  Like 4 levels monk, one level bard?  Or should I stick with fighter 2/bard 3?

shadowheart

Going to work out a more traditional bard.  She will either play flute or lyre.   Probably half-elf.  Will have stats for our honorable DM soon-ish (and the initiative will be findable no worries :P)

Transgirlenstein

Can someone email me the stuff for the point based character method?  I left my dmg and phb back in the states and it doesnt seem to be in the SRD

shadowheart

Quote from: trippingsatyr on August 25, 2008, 06:00:41 PM
Can someone email me the stuff for the point based character method?  I left my dmg and phb back in the states and it doesnt seem to be in the SRD

http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

You can use this site, it'll help you with that (even if you only use it for attributes and use the SRD and paper for the rest)

RubySlippers

Well I always feel the best way to do a pc is a name and photo sometimes so lets see how you like:

Yashmira
Human
Wild Bard 5

http://fantasti.cc/user/masterxen/images/image/76985

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: Aragem on August 25, 2008, 04:34:52 PM
If you still need players. . . .I'll throw my hat into the ring, but I should warn you, I have never played D&D before or any game that require dice rolling, so you are going to have to help me to learn.

As long as the character is interesting, I don't mind helping you out. :P
Quote from: shadowheart on August 25, 2008, 05:20:57 PM
Going to work out a more traditional bard.  She will either play flute or lyre.   Probably half-elf.  Will have stats for our honorable DM soon-ish (and the initiative will be findable no worries :P)

I don't mind a traditional bard-type character in a very non-traditional party, actually. With a seductive pair of half-outsiders, an asian-themed martial musician, and anything else anyone comes up with. :P

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 25, 2008, 07:57:44 PM
Well I always feel the best way to do a pc is a name and photo sometimes so lets see how you like:

Yashmira
Human
Wild Bard 5

http://fantasti.cc/user/masterxen/images/image/76985

This is going to turn out rather ..sexual, isn't it? Not that I entirely mind... ::)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, Book of Nine Swords took inspiration from asian martial combat films so crusader could be considered martial artist like a monk but he uses swords instead fists and uses Ki accomplish amazing feats (combat mostly).

Anycase personality wise my char is seducing scoundrel, nut full blown professional like Laoidh's char when it comes taking down women but I plan make him active in sexual life. But he likes seek true love by firstly tricking people with a disguise and then remove mask of deception in next morning to see do person still love him as a tiefling or does she scream and him making one his darring escape plans on fly.